The Royal Awakening: Rouse Your Legions

NTaW

gallery_30308_9518_57090.jpg

Followers of the Silent King hear this! It is our time to rule again, to rise beyond our former glory to claim dominance over the galaxy!

So begins the Royal Awakening! The next two weeks, being today July 25th to August 8th, will be allotted as a build time for us to reanimate or otherwise acquire our forces. Following that the main painting event will run for three months from August 8th to November 8th. Over the course of this time everyone involved will have 5 vows where they can pledge any amount of models at a time. A vow must be completely finished before a new one is made. Up to 2 of these vows can be made during the build time and will earn an additional Scarab added onto the achievement badge awarded at the end of the event, representing the member's fervent commitment to the Royal Awakening (or just schedules only kind of lining up :thumbsup:). These 2 vows count toward your total, so during the event time you will only have 3 more vows available.

EDIT: Any vows made during the build time must be completed during the build time in order to earn the Scarab badge addition. All completed vows will count toward your total so long as they are made and completed during the event (though I will only count vows made and completed during the painting period of the event for comparison to last year's ETL efforts, but that's just for fun).

The badges being awarded will be for the following categories:

• Royal Warden -- participation and completion of a vow.
  • Lord -- completion of 1,000+ points.
  • Overlord -- completion of 1,500+ points.
  • Phaeron -- completion of 2,000+ points.

Here's a sneak peek at what you'll be able to proudly display in your signature upon completion in the event:

gallery_30308_9518_1721.png

When making a vow include a "before" picture of the models no more than primed and include the current point value as equipped with your statement of intent. Units included in a vow must meet the minimum unit requirements on their datasheet.

Use this thread for showing off pictures of your freshly built models (though you are welcome to use/create project logs for chronicling your RA involvement) as well as to make pre-main event vows, bonus marks if you get in-character for your interactions. There will be another thread on the 8th for painting vows, completions, and WIP work. I'll be keeping track of overall points but keeping an eye on how much is done from the 8th on. I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering how much we can collectively paint in three months and maybe also comparing it to last year's ETL total :yes:

Please also feel free to post up any questions you have regarding the event. This is my first time doing something like this and I'm bound to miss a crossed "t" or dotted "i" somewhere.

List of Participants and Vows

Nemesor Tyriks -- 1st Vow: "Indomitus" [COMPLETE]

General Strike -- 1st Vow: "Indomitus" + 10x Warriors [in progress]

01RTB01 -- 1st Vow: 10x Warrors w. flayers [COMPLETE]

Marshall Loss -- 1st Vow: 10x Warriors w. flayers [in progress]

NTaW -- 1st Vow: Cryptek w. staff of light [in progress]

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch -- 1st Vow: 10x Warriors w. reapers [in progress]

Mr4Minutes -- 1st Vow: Skorpekh Lord, 3x Skorpekh Destroyers w. Plasmacyte, Canoptek Reanimator, 2x Cryptothralls, Triarch Stalker [in progress]

Anticontrarian -- 1st Vow: Overlord w. tachyon arrow, hyperphase glaive [in progress]

Eternal Despair -- 1st Vow: "Indomitus" [in progress]

toaae -- 1st Vow: "Indomitus" [in progress]

Triszin -- 1st Vow: Royal Warden [COMPLETE]

Edited by NTaW

Oooooh, SHINY!

Well, I suppose that I may have some stuff to paint. Not too much, mind you, but a couple things. Maybe 100 points or so.

image0.jpg

:P

Edited by Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Question, can we start painting before then? (Would it count?)

I've two sets of Indomitus and intend to build this week then have it done before the next wave which I assume will be October - despite Doomstalkers and lokhusts being listed under Indomitus in the field manual...

I'm awaiting runelord brass as I'm throwing my lot in with the silent king. Having waited 64 million years for his return it only seems fair :D

We've done a local painting league and I managed between end of February and now, over 3k of orks. I'm optimistic this time :D

Question, can we start painting before then? (Would it count?)

I've two sets of Indomitus and intend to build this week then have it done before the next wave which I assume will be October - despite Doomstalkers and lokhusts being listed under Indomitus in the field manual...

I'm awaiting runelord brass as I'm throwing my lot in with the silent king. Having waited 64 million years for his return it only seems fair :biggrin.:

We've done a local painting league and I managed between end of February and now, over 3k of orks. I'm optimistic this time :biggrin.:

The idea is that you start painting after you vow the model, though you are able to make up to 2 vows currently if you want to get ahead and earn a scarab added to your badge at the end of the event. Any vows made during the build time must be completed during the build time to earn the scarab but all points completed will go toward your total. 

So, if you complete a vow in the next (almost) two weeks you get a fun little scarab added to your badge. If you make a vow during this time that you do not complete before August 8th you get no fun little scarab added to your badge but once you complete your vow it goes toward your total points.

Do we need a photo of our initial prebuilt vow?

Because I’m vowing the entire Necron side for indomitus and will post some sprue pics if necessary.

The picture included with your vow should be of the models you're vowing at any state from new in shrink-wrapped box to build and primed their initial colour. If you don't have a picture or forgot to take it don't worry about it just vow without. No need to go hunting sprue pics :tu:

As for me, I have a lot primed and ready to go that may or may not have been waiting for an event like this. As for building I was pretty much stuck with nothing- but wait. Why did I say "was" when that's the past tense?

BECAUSE I HAVE NO WILLPOWER

50160182048_f63c630cdd_z.jpg

:lol: I'm limiting myself to the Skorpekh Lord/Destroyers, Reanimator, Cryptek, and Killbots (I'm sure they have a real name). Definitely going to have to paint at least one single model of my backlog before diving in on a new Dynasty though....yeah....I can do that....:yes:

The Kharezt Dynasty awakens!

med_gallery_14776_14614_226405.jpg

That's the entirety of my first Indomitus set built and ready to be primed (actually, it's been primed since this picture). I think it's 995 points, assuming Battlescribe has no errors.

Hopefully painting a test model tomorrow.

This looks interesting. I might join and paint the stuff I've got from Indomitus and Forgebane.

The timing is a little awkward for me to be honest. The event ends around when we expect to see the codex released. I'm tempted to wait till then before assembling stuff with weapon options, so I can decide what to equip them with - or to be honest whether I play necrons at all. Sorry for being indecisive.

This looks interesting. I might join and paint the stuff I've got from Indomitus and Forgebane.

The timing is a little awkward for me to be honest. The event ends around when we expect to see the codex released. I'm tempted to wait till then before assembling stuff with weapon options, so I can decide what to equip them with - or to be honest whether I play necrons at all. Sorry for being indecisive.

The timing was a bit of a roll of the dice, for sure. If we get the Codex by the 10th (2nd Saturday) that would give us a month-ish with the event still running.

No worries at all about being indecisive, building an army from the start can be a daunting task. Knowing your options is critical! I'd be remiss in my duties if I didn't point out that number of models from the Indomitus and Forgebane boxes don't really have weapon options though. You know, just putting it out there in case you decide to take the leap and wanted to get started on a paint scheme early. :yes:

Thanks for the clarification NTaW. I didn’t quite understand the bonus scarab concept, but I got it now,

I’ll be vowing the full indomitus, with photos, once the build Phase is complete.

Not a problem. It makes sense that it made no sense since said absolutely none of that in my initial post! :whistling: I've since edited my OP for clarity. :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing the new additions to your Dynasty painted up!

Edited by NTaW

I said I'd have a test model done today, and here he is:

med_gallery_14776_14614_183325.jpg

med_gallery_14776_14614_104271.jpg

med_gallery_14776_14614_70855.jpg

med_gallery_14776_14614_290752.jpg

My goal with my Necrons is to have a decently table-top quality army, something I can paint quickly and with ease when I need a break from my Orks and SoB, who I lovingly paint to the best of my ability. I still want it to be striking and mine, though, hence why I'm going with this black/orange/brass/blue scheme (let's call it BOBB). For my own purposes, the scheme is in this spoiler:

Prime Black
Base-coat Abaddon Black (Airbrush)

Highlight Black parts with Mechanicus Standard Grey (A/B)

Shade undersides with Indigo artists ink (A/B)
Basecoat power bits with Trollslayer Orange (A/B)

<gloss varnish to protect black parts for masking>
Basecoat shoulder pads Macragge Blue (A/B)

Highlight shoulder pads Temple Guard Blue (A/B)
Basecoat joints/under-armor bits Brass Scorpion

Wash power bits with Casandora Yellow

Wash shoulder pads, joints/under-armor bits with Nuln Oil

Edge Highlight black parts with Dawnstone

Highlight power bits with Fire Dragon Bright

Highlight shoulder pads with Lothern Blue

Highlight joints/under-armor bits with Sycorax Bronze

Took me a little under 2 hours. Considering it was the first time I had attempted the scheme and it involved 7 airbrush cleanings, I'm pretty pleased with it.

7 air brush cleanings? Madness.

That is one beautiful paint scheme.

Well, there's 7 airbrush steps. But of course, those would be shared amongst the whole batch I'm painting, which means the average painting time would come way down.

And thank you.

Slightly off topic, possibly.

How’s everyone feel about the new snap fits?

I’m finding them to be both fantastic new sculpts and moderately infuriating to stick together.

Like the new warriors. It’s nice not having to balance 2 arm holes and how the hand and gun go together at the same time. However, getting the arms in place then having to jam the chest and back halves together is testing my patience.

They’re beautiful models, but I hope when the multiparts come out they have more usual build methods. This arms first then torso thing is starting to annoy me, esp combined with the fact that the pegs sometimes—but not always—need shaving down to fit, which can cause more issues.

Slightly off topic, possibly.

How’s everyone feel about the new snap fits?

I’m finding them to be both fantastic new sculpts and moderately infuriating to stick together.

Like the new warriors. It’s nice not having to balance 2 arm holes and how the hand and gun go together at the same time. However, getting the arms in place then having to jam the chest and back halves together is testing my patience.

I've tended to put the gun arms together, then slot into the torso. I've added a dab of glue on the "loose" bit before putting the head/ torso on

I've just built 10 warriors and 5 immortals. The warriors were a lot easier. That said, I did glue the snap fit guys and I think that helps. The glue can allow the bits to slide together more easily. There have been quite a lot of times when I've struggled to get the chest or face piece to go all the way in to meet the back, leaving gaps around the sides.

I currently own Indomitus and the necron half of Forgebane. I've built a mixture of both so far and the rest is on sprues. I thought I'd take a "before" pic now, in case I come to actually take a vow. I'll do a test warrior or two to start with I think.

50167267538_5b8052c2b6_k.jpg

My idea is to paint these guys white, inspired by the original Space Crusade Chaos Androids. I'm hoping I can get a long way with some contrast apothecary white, some drybrushing and my new pot of Tesseract Glow. I'll have to do some metal bits too obviously, but I'll try and keep them to a minimum I think.

If this ever becomes a proper army I might see if it's viable to run a proper "zombie horde" of warriors. I'd aim to field 100+ of them at 2k. I've never really done a horde army before and everyone says they suck in 9th, so this is a great time to start! Right?

Edit: thought I'd see what happened if I took a panorama shot to get all the models in the shot. Won't do that again!

Edited by Mandragola