The Royal Awakening: Rouse Your Legions

NTaW

image0.jpg

Build progress so far. The Royal Warden (I really like the German name, king-watcher i think) is watching Rakszan for the slightest sign of treachery.

I should have an opening vow soon, even if it’s just the warriors.

Edited by Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Did a test necron to see how the scheme looks. Not too bad I think. I'm happy with how the new tesseract glow worked, though I might have gone a bit overboard with it on the face.

50169605447_0a51fd7777_k.jpg

Not the best model I've ever painted but I think it's decent for something there'd be loads of. Some kind of unit markings might improve it I think. Not sure what exactly, but maybe some colour on the shoulders. Any suggestions welcome.

Edited by Mandragola

Canonically I believe phalanxes are marked with a fraction of their owner’s personal glyph.

For example, if my dynastic glyph looks like this:

o

\_/

\ | /

\_/

|

|

_|_

\ | /

\|/

/|\

/_|_\

|

|

|

_

/ | \

/ | \

_

/ \

o

(Which it doesn’t quite, there are some semi-circles that don’t translate well here, but it works)

My Phaeron, Sarnakh the Sunderer, might have this on a legion of immortals to denote a core of his force:

____

\ | /

\|/

/|\

/_|_\

So you could do something like that if you ever decide on a dynastic glyph.

I like that a lot! I don't think you went overboard on the face, I think it'll look totally fine across a table. If you did less I don't think you'd be able to see it except up close. The white is very clean, what'd you use?

Thanks guys. This is just sprayed grey seer, apothecary white, drybrush of Praxeti white and some white scar on a very few edges.

For the metal bits I used vallejo air steel. It's a really thin consistency with a lot of pigment in, which makes it great for putting into nooks and crannies like this. Washed with gloss nuln oil. I think that's worked well apart from on the blade so I might redo that, maybe just in black like the rest of the gun - which was done with black templar.

Toaae and Mandragola, those are both top notch zombie robots!! I can't wait to see those schemes expanded across your armies.

Canonically I believe phalanxes are marked with a fraction of their owner’s personal glyph.

Lenoch you're quite right in how Dynastic glyphs are broken down. There's a healthy smattering of examples in the Codex for the main Dynasties too. Do you plan on adding such markings to your force?

What's this I see though? Tyriks comes in with the first vow!

I have been meaning to make my first vow since Sunday and keep getting distracted. I vow one Indomitus (995 pts I guess)

We can post points for posterity I suppose, though with the Codex's imminent release and the likelihood of things changing I get the feeling I will be doing a retally on its release of all vows made...but that's beside the point. Are you keeping with your purple/silver scheme or are you changing it up?

Edited by NTaW

Oh, so I'll vow the Indomitus models plus another 10 warriors I got. That's around 1060 points.

Should be:

1x Overlords

1x Royal Wardens

1x Skorpekh Lords

30x Warriors

1x Reanimators

3x Skorpekh Destroyers

6x Scarabs

I plan to do them in the classic metal scheme with green glow, with a bit of customization on said glow as well as a brass shoulder to show loyalty to the King.

Edit: One Indomitus went MIA in the mail, so had to bump my vow down.

Edited by General Strike

That is a lot of models for one vow! Can never go wrong with classic green and silver, that's for sure.

As a housekeeping note, a list of all vows made here will be carried over into the main event thread. Keep in mind though the scarab award is only available to vows that are completed during the build time (there is no size requirement for a vow aside from being a legal unit; you could actually paint your Scarabs for it! :lol:).

EDIT: I built my Skorpekh Destroyers with the help of my son and oh boy those were surprisingly frustrating for "push fit" considering my last exposure to this was the Dark Vengeance box. Sort of glad to see others are also having a bit of a time with it! :sweat:

Edited by NTaW

Yeah, it's a lot of models, but I've got a lot of advantages. Push Fit models, Leadbelcher Spray, and extensive experience with contrast for glow. I painted 3000 points of Ultramarines to standard in a week last year before selling them. Fingers crossed I can pull it off.

Lenoch you're quite right in how Dynastic glyphs are broken down. There's a healthy smattering of examples in the Codex for the main Dynasties too. Do you plan on adding such markings to your force?

AHAHAHAHHAHHAHAAH no.

My freehand isn't good enough for small shoulderpads, and at any rate, the way I'm painting these models, Crown Prince Rakszan has lost the right to his dynastic glyph, and won't be having one. The Royal Warden might get one, we'll see. But only him.

Yeah, it's a lot of models, but I've got a lot of advantages. Push Fit models, Leadbelcher Spray, and extensive experience with contrast for glow. I painted 3000 points of Ultramarines to standard in a week last year before selling them. Fingers crossed I can pull it off.

:eek: :eek:

3000 points in a week? Good gravy, I'll be lucky to finish 30-odd points of guardsmen before August 17! (and then another squad besides!)

I don't think I want to know how you managed that feat.

Edited by Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Have to say 3k in a week is insane!

I've tried some schemes on leftover arms. I'll try tonight/ tomorrow on a full cron.

I'll declare for my initial vow, Indomitus plus an extra 20 warriors and 6 scarabs - depending on when the deadline is lol.

It was a self challenge to get that done. I used Maccragge blue as my base, so I got that full base color down on it all in an hour. Then my highlighting took about a day by doing the less obvious stuff with dry brush and the big details with edge. Then a wash all over and into the details. Faces were done with contrast for flesh. Same for leather. Weapons were mechanicus grey drybrushed with necron compound. Full wash with Nuln oil. Shoulders and ultra symbol were done with corax then went over with contrast white to smooth it. Then based with stirland mud and valhallan blizzard. I took a lot of short cuts by drybrushing the less important highlights, and I spent a full day on Tigurius and Calgar details. I'll have to dig up the pictures. I traded it for 8k points of Tau that I then sold to buy my AoS army. I mostly liked the challenge, so I planned out the short cuts and did it in steps so I was repeating the same thing for each session. Base-dry-edge highlight- big detail- small detail- character detail- vehicle damage. I'm hoping I can apply what I learned from that here.

I'm already planning the sessions out on sticky pads.

Edited by General Strike

I'm happy with how the new tesseract glow worked, though I might have gone a bit overboard with it on the face.

Yeah I'd clean up the green on the forehead as it doesn't make any sense that light would be cast there. Nice simple scheme though

Agreed. I've tidied the face up a bit with some white. I do think it can make sense to add glow paint slightly around where the light is coming from to simulate the effect of the light diffracting on its way to the viewer, but you shouldn't go nuts.

Anyway I thought I'd try the scheme on something a bit bigger. Lanky bot is now battle ready (apart from base of course).

50172692387_c9482b56f7_k.jpg

Yeah, light will diffract, but you still need to think about the angles. The socket is fine because the eyes are set into the head but with the forehead angled back light wouldn't be cast there. Anyway, if I'm gonna offer feedback, I might as well put some skin in the game myself:

DBgEdib.jpg

I'll pledge 10 warriors of the Maynarkh to be completed by August 8th, whereupon I'll pledge a bunch a ton other goodies.

Test Szarekhan warrior done. 9 more primed. Will post pics as soon as I get to my laptop. Struggling what to do for basing...

Biggest problem will be the 2 week wait for spray... Because we're in northern BC and our locals are all our of leadbelcher I'll use what I have but will then have to await them getting more. Due to dangerous goods routes being method of delivery it'll be a while :(

Edited by 01RTB01

So I needed a small break from my 30k EC, and given the release of the indomitus box and this event I think i'll do up the necron half of it (and maybe an extra unit or 3). 

Either way here is a picture of them all assembled and ready for priming. 

nXWP87C.jpg

The plan is to have them done up as the new szarekhan dynasty but going for a brass rather than a warmer bronze colour and subbing the green for a purple to better contrast the brass, so I guess not the szarekhan dynasty at all :tongue.:.

Glory be to the Silent King! I'm loving the involvement everyone, the galaxy will learn fear the Necrontyr again!!

Some housekeeping, this is the list of current vows (I'm writing "Indomitus" since we all know the models involved). Please correct me if I have misinterpreted anyone's posts.

• Nemesor Tyriks -- 1st Vow, "Indomitus"
  • General Strike -- 1st Vow, 2x "Indomitus"
  • 01RTB01 -- 1st Vow, 10x Warriors
  • Marshall Loss -- 1st Vow, 10x Warriors

Just a reminder, you have five Vows over the course of this event with a maximum of two that can be completed before August 8th. You can do some small Vows, a couple big Vows, whatever you like.

I will add my own name to that list with this modest offering in an attempt to see if I can find the time to get a few coats of paint out and earn myself the Scarab badge, though given it's taken me since yesterday to finish this post I may be over-extending myself :laugh.:

My first vow for the Royal Awakening will be Cryptek Bakalt, twin overseer to Cryptek M'Reish seen painted in the picture, who is armed with a staff of light (since I have no idea what wargear will be like when the Codex drops in a few months).

49369614528_5c3d5bd25f.jpg

Edited by NTaW

Well, my second Indomitus box is currently in postage limbo. The tracking has just said "Arriving Late, In Transit" for three days. This has really mucked up my scheduling. The sad thing, it's coming from a FLGS that is two hours away, so at this point it would've been better for me to spend four hours getting it than the now week it's been. They even did two day shipping for me.

Was halfway through priming these guys when I realized I hadn’t vowed them yet. *sweats nervously*

Anyway, first vow of 10 warriors w/ gauss reapers.

image0.jpg

Gunning for the scarab vow with these guys.

Alright, after assembling the indomitus box and figuring out how all the new models can fight into my existing Dynasty and the narrative crusade campaign I’m starting, I have decided that the below models will be my first vow.

I am vowing:

Skorpekh Lord

3 Skorpekh destroyers w/ plasmacyte

Canoptek Reanimator

2 Crytpothrals

Triarch Stalker

https://i.imgur.com/j6NCvXa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Es1IICn.jpg