Wolves in the new marine codex

Why? You lose nothing in the way of individual rules and it means less admin when they expand the marine lines as it will always fall in line with the main book.

When I started the hobby the wolves were a supplement and it didn't exactly harm them.

I am of 2 minds on this.

First mind is actually quite happy because then we will get rules updates simultaneously with marines and no more long drawn out waits while the other marines get better and better and we languish in ineptitude.

The second mind is a bit scared that this will be the death of alot of our uniqueness. Especially some of the subtler differences like the flipped WS/BS on iron priests and the like. And I also fear they may try to retcon blood claw-greyhunter-longfang progression. I like those differences and dont want to lose them, so this move worries me a bit.

I share the feelings Triszin. I really don't like GWs approach to rules updates. If they would remove the points completely from the codexes, and maintain them as a separate downloadable pdf, they wouldn't need to update a codex that is less than a year old. Throwing in a couple new toys, IMO, does not justify paying another 50+USD for a book that will become obsolete in less than a year due to point adjustments. They need to spend the resources to make sure their codexes and supplements are FAR less errata-needy, and then I'll consider giving them my money.

It's bad enough that I bought the 8e digital SW codex and it was completely unusable by any app I tried (zoom is disabled), and yet I couldn't get a refund because I already downloaded it!

If our infantry picks up Heroic Intervention it would be a great buff, stealing objectives by getting objective secured troops within 3 so far has been a solid strategy in 9th. So having an answer to that would be nice.

I won't judge the supplement strategy till I see the release but in all honesty I've been sick of being the last marine book to be updated so if this means I won't have to wait 8 months to year to get updates I'm all for it.

Well The new SM codex is space wolves coloured marines... until the supplement. Definitely a nerf to our chapter tactic, HI is really weak this edition and 3 inches is very little.

Plus paying for characters to intervene 6 is just meh. Just layer upon layer of small nerfs for a character based chapter in an anti-hero hammer edition.

Edited by C0deb1ue

Honestly brothers , lets not turn into templars over this. 

It is a reasonable change for us as it will keep us inline with new releases without having to wait , it opens up new toys to us and in  reality its not just us its all marines being put under one umbrella. It helps the game , it will help marine internal balance , we will still have all the things that make us special.  It's not really a huge deal. 

I  left the templar community on this board because of the constant unadulterated crying about EVERYTHING which is rooted in 

"BUT MUH 4th EDITION  BOOK" 

They ( some of them )  can be absolutely insufferable , fussing about how they are glossed over , not  given new things all the time , just please , even if were a little miffed about not having a stand alone book can we not turn into that. 

Gah! Just saw this thread. I posted on another thread about this.

It’s a return to 3rd edition which makes a lot of sense for design and production. We get the updates whenever they make a new marine codex. Which is a lot better than waiting until halfway through the edition to get an update.

The third edition space wolves supplement was great. I don’t think we lost any flavor with it.

I just hope we get our supplement quickly!!!

If our infantry picks up Heroic Intervention it would be a great buff, stealing objectives by getting objective secured troops within 3 so far has been a solid strategy in 9th. So having an answer to that would be nice.

I won't judge the supplement strategy till I see the release but in all honesty I've been sick of being the last marine book to be updated so if this means I won't have to wait 8 months to year to get updates I'm all for it.

It doesn’t mean we have our rules sooner. We have to buy two books. One for basic space marine stuff and the a supplement later (which will probably be as delayed as the codex) For anything unique...

Edited by C0deb1ue

Just found this in the vid

ONE WOLF LORD PER DETACHMENT and 2 lieutenants

I really like this change, as long as it is applied to everyone. Having 3 smash captains in a detachment was just silly. Not that that would happen as often in 9th given the way army construction has changed, but still...

It's 3rd Edition again (well, I wouldn't mind the 3rd Edition prices again, TBH, but that ain't happening) - Wolves were good then, will be good now - I won't complain until I have the Supplement in hand.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the 1 Lord, 2 Battle Leader restriction.

I really like this change, as long as it is applied to everyone. Having 3 smash captains in a detachment was just silly. Not that that would happen as often in 9th given the way army construction has changed, but still...

I like it for nerfing 3 BA smash captains or Custodes biker boys BUT I like running Bjorn and a TWC wolflord in some lists

Can confirm the Hunters Unleashed changes too, no 6' range unless its a strat, but all units can HI, which I think we can all sink our teeth into

It would be nice if the new Gravis Captain kit also made Gravis Lieutenants/Battle Leaders/Huscarl, i.e. if they would make a profile for this. Similarly, if the Outrider Sergeant could also be a 'Captain/Jarl on Outrider Bike' and 'Lieutenant/Battle Leader/Huscarl on Outrider Bike', that would be good - it's silly that only Chaplains/Wolf Priests/Interrogator Chaplains might ride Bikes.

The 1 lord 2 lieutenant is an interesting change. It can mess with some people’s builds. Personally my thoughts in 9th were to include only 1 lord anyway- typically Ragnar then Bjorn and a priest. Or Ragnar and two priests. If I was using two detachments it would be Ragnar, bjorn and two priests.

I like it for nerfing 3 BA smash captains or Custodes biker boys BUT I like running Bjorn and a TWC wolflord in some lists

Can confirm the Hunters Unleashed changes too, no 6' range unless its a strat, but all units can HI, which I think we can all sink our teeth into

Sorry for double post... on phone...

Gentlemen and gentlewomen, our characters are usually going to be within 3” of a friendly unit anyway for protection. Losing the 6” HI will hurt in some situations but not in most situations. And getting 3” across the board gives us so much more.