Wolves in the new marine codex

From Miguel, on Facebook.  Someone went through and listed out all of the Datasheets in the table of contents for the new Space Marine Codex.  A couple new units that are worth mentioning, like Veteran Intercessors, and the Lieutenant in Helios Armour.

116335472_3076913462422763_6251526581507

116357900_3076913535756089_7442986134956

116217110_3076913619089414_6121683844462

No venerable chaplain in the HQ section.

Everyone expecting that but looking like inevitable.

Captain on a bike is nice to see....true born or primaris...both would be awesome with saga of the hunter

No venerable chaplain in the HQ section.

Everyone expecting that but looking like inevitable.

Captain on a bike is nice to see....true born or primaris...both would be awesome with saga of the hunter

It is probably the old marine captain on bike as the Primaris Chaplain on bike is specifically called out as being Primaris. 

Which is a shame because I would much rather a Primaris Captain on a bike. 

I'm hoping that all members of a Veteran Intercessor squad get more wargear options than just bolt rifles of varying flavours. I wonder what Helios armour is on that Lieutenant entry.

Also hoping we get access to vanilla marine relics in addition to the ones in the upcoming Supplement.   

Lieutenant in helois is not confirmed, I've interpreted it as riever armor.

But I am assuming Helios is shrikes flight tech?

I also think veteran intercessors will now have a box because they are there own data sheet.

I will say this.

Don't assume we gain access to anything we don't have access to.

Until it's in print or PDF errata, then we do not have access.

Long term, the only safe unit from the old range is wulfen. Those were retooled to be primaris scale. And represent both old/new.

I remember having and then having to sell off Ironclad dreadnoughts...I was not a happy Wolf that day
Ya, :(

I almost bought a stormraven with the new Dex when they said Bjorn carrier.

I did buy centurions when they first came out only to find out I couldn't use them. :(

Edited by Triszin

I’m hoping we don’t have too long to wait. ?

We’ll probably have our new Supplement within a week or two of the new Marine Codex, in October.
From your lips to The Emperor’s Ears.

They would almost have to release the SW/BA/DA supplements at the same time as the new SM codex right? If not then the space marine codex replaces our current space wolf codex and all of our unique units would be unplayable until the SW supplement came out because they won't have data sheets in the SM codex. Am I understanding this correctly?

That or they would tell us to reference datasheets from the old codex during the transition period. So would have to use the new SM codex, the old SW codex, Saga of the Beast, etc.

Those books should be released very soon after the main codex, they can't go too long.

Lieutenant in helois is not confirmed, I've interpreted it as riever armor.

But I am assuming Helios is shrikes flight tech?

I also think veteran intercessors will now have a box because they are there own data sheet.

Surely reiver armour doesn't make sense though? I thought Reivers got errata'd to have the phobos keyword for their amour type and there's already the Lieutenant in phobos armour entry below it.

A Veteran Intercessor box would be sweet.

That or they would tell us to reference datasheets from the old codex during the transition period. So would have to use the new SM codex, the old SW codex, Saga of the Beast, etc.

Those books should be released very soon after the main codex, they can't go too long.

I'd entirely expect them to do this given that this is what they've pretty much done with all the current codices rather than another round of Index books. 

Oh yeah, that's exactly what I expect of them. I don't really view that as a playable situation though, so I'll probably sit out with my DA and Wolves during that time and play smaller games using my Word Bearers and Argent Shroud. I am not too keen on using multiple codices, a PA book and a bunch of FAQs to play.

Im just curious, how many of you guys played SW during 3rd edition and lets say were older than 20? 3rd edition was not kind in many ways to SW. We were probably the worst 4th edition army as we didn't have a codex at all (still expected to use the 3rd edition supplement, even though the game and point costs had vastly changed). I'm not saying its going to be a complete disaster, but some folks responses about 3rd edition don't seem to indicate they actually played during 3rd. Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages to this. IF, IF GW updates all the supplements in a timely manner, it can work. If say you wait over a year to get your supplement (and at the end of an edition), you get hosed. Just like codexes, some supplements will ultimately get more attention, and others less so (again, its a crap shoot). What drew me to SW almost 30 years ago were they had unique units which were well reflected in the lore (and the ability to have extra characters), by folding SW into codex SM and giving them a few army wide rules, you lose alot of that. And I get it, this is the final flush where they get rid of all older marine units. So people are going to be excited by that, as they dont have extensive collections of older marines or in general look forward to more projects, others won't. For me, this is probably the end of the road in 40k. I have no desire to move to primaris units. I dont play enough to justify sitting the units I have on the shelf while I assemble new units. My army isnt suited to 30k, so it is what it is. Most likely I just try and get 30k games with my thousand sons or play AT, but the problem is those games are even harder to find than 40k games. Hopefully our SW dreads are still viable, I have four so some list featuring them and terminators I could do. 

Im just curious, how many of you guys played SW during 3rd edition and lets say were older than 20? 3rd edition was not kind in many ways to SW.

Games Workshop is a different company than it was 20 years ago.  Back in the day, you'd be lucky if your faction even got an update in a whole five-year edition cycle - Space Wolves were skipped for updates in both 4th and 6th edition, for example.  FAQs took forever, and never got updated.  We could go on with examples of how bad they were, but I know that you know the deal.

But look at modern GW - They published complete and professional codexes and supplements for nearly 30 factions within 2 years of the launch of 8th edition, and then turned right around and published an update (Psychic Awakening) for every single one of them in the 3rd year.  They produce the FAQs much more quickly, and revisit them as needed.  They'll make major changes to Rules whenever they think it's justified, based on competitive play results and feedback.  They produce an annual Chapter Approved book to revisit points costs and re-balance the whole system.

The folks making the 9th edition of Warhammer 40k cannot be compared to those who made 3rd edition; it is a completely different world here.

I’m taking a “wait and see” approach. There are certainly some very dark omens, but the sky isn’t falling (yet).

If the supplement strips us of everything that makes us unique and turns the wolves into a codex adherent chapter with a few special rules and a few extra units I’ll be very disappointed.

If the supplement maintains all that makes us unique and keeps us updated at the same speed as everyone else so we don’t get left behind again, then I’ll be very pleased.

We won’t know until we see it.

In the meantime, the dude abides.

Some of you didn't own a 3rd edition Space Wolves Codex and it shows.  It literally said "Space Marines Supplement" in the bottom left of the cover.  It had entries for the unique units, and simply said "See Codex Space Marines" for those entries that are the same.  

I don’t like the new core + chapter supplement, myself. I understand the reasons behind it, I just don’t want to add to the pounds of weight in codices I lug around every time I play. My life is sooo difficult. I do however like the fact that we will keep up with the other chapters. If it’s at the cost of unique units like Fen Wolves I’m going to be angered, the wildly wolf wolfiness is why I play SW.

Limiting Characters in a chapter like ours is also worrisome. I have like 3-4 versions of the HQ units I play, and would hate to lose the flavor of angry Marines howling into battle to further their glorious exploits.

End of Line

Im just curious, how many of you guys played SW during 3rd edition and lets say were older than 20? 3rd edition was not kind in many ways to SW.

Games Workshop is a different company than it was 20 years ago.  Back in the day, you'd be lucky if your faction even got an update in a whole five-year edition cycle - Space Wolves were skipped for updates in both 4th and 6th edition, for example.  FAQs took forever, and never got updated.  We could go on with examples of how bad they were, but I know that you know the deal.

But look at modern GW - They published complete and professional codexes and supplements for nearly 30 factions within 2 years of the launch of 8th edition, and then turned right around and published an update (Psychic Awakening) for every single one of them in the 3rd year.  They produce the FAQs much more quickly, and revisit them as needed.  They'll make major changes to Rules whenever they think it's justified, based on competitive play results and feedback.  They produce an annual Chapter Approved book to revisit points costs and re-balance the whole system.

The folks making the 9th edition of Warhammer 40k cannot be compared to those who made 3rd edition; it is a completely different world here.

I second this. Very rational and thoughtful response. There was always ups and downs due to how GW released. It’s so much better now. There was some neat stuff we could do anyway.

Are you all too long in tooth to remember Wolf Guard terminators re-Rolling their first failed save? (What was that piece of wargear called? Was it the Wolf tail talisman or runic charm? I guess I’m too long in the tooth too... checked the codex it was the runic charm) Or for a long time Grey Hunters were considered the best troop in the game. Our HQ’s had one extra attack compared to their codex counterparts, and could be given mark of the Wulfen for additional fun. Oh man that wolf tooth necklace... I remember that little codex fondly. Although I never played before 3rd, so 2nd may have been better for us.

It’s the charm, Dan.

GW has certainly stepped up their game but also dropped the ball many times in recent years. Me, I’m the guy who’s still pissed off and disappointed by the fact our last codex had FAQ before its actual release...

End of Line

It’s the charm, Dan.

GW has certainly stepped up their game but also dropped the ball many times in recent years. Me, I’m the guy who’s still pissed off and disappointed by the fact our last codex had FAQ before its actual release...

End of Line

Not just the codex, but the Psychic Awakening as well.  None of our rules have been up to date on their release date in 8th.

I started SW in the latter half of 3rd and into 4th edition with the 13th Company. To play them you needed the Space Marine codex for points values, the Space Wolf supplement for Space Wolf rules and wargear, and the eye of terror supplement for 13th Company specific units and wargear that differed from the SW supplement. We've had our roots tied to the marine codex before and we're just coming full circle. There are way more units now for Marines than there were all those years ago. I'll be interested to see how they handle access to codex compliant units for non codex compliant chapters until the individual 9th edu supplements are released.