Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Primaris Gladiator Valiant

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
283 replies to this topic

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,722 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
It could be a Str9, 48" version of the weapon.
  • Black Blow Fly likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,563 posts

It could be a Str9, 48" version of the weapon.

That's what I'm thinking. I imagine the laser destroyer family of weapons is linked by the D6 minimum 3 damage piece, not the range/str boost. 

Allow me to wildly speculate, but I think Aquilon Optics supporting a 48", Str 9 version of the heavy laser destroyer is more likely than one limited to 2 shots all the time. It gives it a home among all the other variants, provided the assumption that they all land around the same price point and efficiency remains true. Lots of assumptions and guess work, so it's mostly nonsense until we see more info. 

Edited by Lemondish, 30 July 2020 - 04:40 PM.

War Angel

War Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,263 posts
  • Faction: Eagles Eternal
Aren’t there other “laser destroyer” weapons out there? I could be mistaken.
USMC based Space Marines, the Eagles Eternal check out their WIP blog at The Eagle Spire
gallery_45765_12339_49118.pngETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,402 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE

I think there’s a Forgeworld Sicaran.

=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Vermintide

Vermintide

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 480 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, Necrons

These hover-vehicles just flat out don't look as good as the Land Raider and Rhino-chassis tanks, IMO. They look too much like Transit vans.

This does look a lot better than the Repulsors, though. I think that extra flare out of the engines at the bottom/rear corners really helps the overall silhouette.

• Robbienw, Putrid Choir, WrathOfTheLion and 1 other like this

"The Black Library is not lore."

Arch-Magos Mordekai Holatas

Bringer of Sacred Light
5113903.M39

tvih

tvih

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,319 posts
  • Faction: CF/BT/Orks/SoB/IG

Would be nonsensical if it was.

Why?

well I gotta amend my statement in that as long as it doesn't get to fire twice like the Executioner does, then it'd be fine.

Mandragola

Mandragola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,117 posts
My big concern for these things in the game is that they explode for D6 damage in a 6” radius. The fact you can’t reroll that 6 any more makes having any of these vehicles in your lines seriously risky. If you build a castle of these they will regularly explode and cause carnage. Now and then two of them will pop and end the game for you.

However, I think they’ll make good units for roaming around solo. Make them salamanders or master artisans and they can manage without captains and lieutenants. If the HLC one does fire twice it’ll be able to use the rerolls on both pairs of shots. That should do good work.

An alternative might be to get the warlord trait that makes your auras 9” instead of 6, and stand well back. And/or give your captain a relic shield to protect him from those mortal wounds.

C+C always welcome on my Titanic Plog. Should really be painting Crimson Fists.

gallery_48988_15151_9524.pnggallery_45765_12339_6416.pnggallery_48988_16045_14557.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_6255.png

Brother Adelard

Brother Adelard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,932 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

There's the Deimos Vindicator too?

O787td6.jpggallery_38474_6916_6036.jpg

Rune Priest Jbickb

Rune Priest Jbickb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,374 posts

I also think its a sponson option for fellblades
Never Mistake:
My Silence for Ignorance
My Calmness for Acceptance
My Kindness for Weakness

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 894 posts

The Spartan, Fellblade, and Falchion all have the Laser Destroyer as a sponson option.

The Deimos Vindicator actually has an array of Laser Destroyers (four barrels) as its main weapon.

• Brother Adelard likes this

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

ST.Lazarus

ST.Lazarus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 386 posts

The Spartan, Fellblade, and Falchion all have the Laser Destroyer as a sponson option.

The Deimos Vindicator actually has an array of Laser Destroyers (four barrels) as its main weapon.

It would be pretty tasty if the range was just lower than the heavy laser destroyer. 

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 894 posts

It would be pretty tasty if the range was just lower than the heavy laser destroyer. 

The range on the Laser Destroyer is 36" so good chance they'll chop the range down for the Lancer. Maybe it'll end up at 60" but I'd bet more like 48".

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

ST.Lazarus

ST.Lazarus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 386 posts

The range on the Laser Destroyer is 36" so good chance they'll chop the range down for the Lancer. Maybe it'll end up at 60" but I'd bet more like 48".

Thats what I mean, the heavy variant has range 72" and the existing laser destroyer has range 36". If the new gladiator one is range 36" with the same rules for shooting twice, minimum damage and strength above 8 it will be great.

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,563 posts
I had no clue this weapon was used anywhere else - couldn't find it in the codex. Figures it's in a bunch of FW nonsense. Sorry all, didn't mean to spread misinformation.

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,991 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
Ya it's complete nonsense that they originated the laser destroyer something like 6 editions ago and have had it through a variety of units.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk, 30 July 2020 - 10:59 PM.

• Juggernut likes this

Mandragola

Mandragola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,117 posts
The rapier laser destroyer existed in 1st edition. The heavy laser destroyer is something different. Instead of four barrels you get one big one.

C+C always welcome on my Titanic Plog. Should really be painting Crimson Fists.

gallery_48988_15151_9524.pnggallery_45765_12339_6416.pnggallery_48988_16045_14557.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_6255.png

Robbienw

Robbienw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,323 posts
The Destroyer Tank Hunter (FW Leman Russ variant, released in 1999) was the first model to bring us a single barrel Heavy Laser Destroyer weapon, was it not?

Edited by Robbienw, 30 July 2020 - 11:17 PM.

War Angel

War Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,263 posts
  • Faction: Eagles Eternal
Is there a uniformed stat line that we can try to extrapolate something from?
USMC based Space Marines, the Eagles Eternal check out their WIP blog at The Eagle Spire
gallery_45765_12339_49118.pngETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,148 posts
Invariably it'll be high strength, high ap, minimum 3 damage with decent range...

Forgive me but I'm unsure why this is causing such debate?
  • Guiltysparc likes this
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,563 posts

Ya it's complete nonsense that they originated the laser destroyer something like 6 editions ago and have had it through a variety of units.

I think you misunderstood. It's nonsense that it's still in a bloody index. And just read the rules they have! It's insane.

The debate is that GW core rules follow the d6 min 3 formula, but these other FW index units have some extra D6 roll step to determine damage.

I imagine the GW rule is far more likely.

Edited by Lemondish, 31 July 2020 - 12:25 AM.

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,402 posts
Which weapon has the shock wave going on ?
my 40k FB Page:
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,148 posts

Which weapon has the shock wave going on ?

Shock pulse - venator.
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,402 posts

Sweet !

my 40k FB Page:
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Spyros

Spyros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 481 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

The Laser Destroyers on FW vehicles have higher strength and damage potential than the Heavy Laser Destroyer on the Executioner, BUT are one shot weapons with 36" range. I think the Executioner's weapon wins because of the double range and double shots, which are further doubled by the Aquilon Optics.

So it's safe to say that the Gladiator's Laser Destroyer will be a 1-shot weapon and at best it will also have Aquilon Optics.

"Whatever the Blood Angels' flaws, nowhere in the Imperium can truer servants of the Emperor be found." , Blood Angels Codex 5th ed.
"Although feared and mistrusted by those they protect, the Blood Angels continue to smash the Imperium's foes, compiling a battle history second to none.", Dark Millenium 7th ed.

"You underestimate our cousins, skald. Their gold and jewels mask a killer’s soul, and we would do well to remember that.", Helik Redknife, VI Legion ‘Vlka FenrykaCaptain

gallery_93095_13980_2976.gifgallery_93095_13980_1591.gifgallery_93095_13980_3726.gifgallery_93095_13980_27776.jpggallery_93095_13980_391.pnggallery_93095_13980_3345.pnggallery_93095_13980_612.pnggallery_93095_13980_5444.jpggallery_93095_13980_1407.jpggallery_93095_13980_14904.pnggallery_93095_13980_11439.png

Spoiler

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,722 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
The Venator has the best of the bunch, arguably.

3 shot, str12 ap-4 with a BS penalty against the vehicles it hits.

And it comes with two Las cannon sponsons.

-~Ishagu~-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users