Chapter Tactic Nerf

AnImA8

I don't feel anything should be nerfed.

The SM codex was the last in 8th, and only had a shelf life of less than a year.

We are getting a new codex for 9th soon, and other books will be released after. For all we know after a year or so the Astares will be the weakest army out there.

The SM codex was the last in 8th, and only had a shelf life of less than a year.

We are getting a new codex for 9th soon, and other books will be released after. For all we know after a year or so the Astares will be the weakest army out there.

alternatively, if weapon stat leaks are any indication, salamanders' ignore AP -1 may be a lot more impactful 9th. GW may consider that an indirect buff since it means sallies aren't getting hurt by it while most of the other factions are. 

Also add in potential fluff reasons; Salamanders are renowned for their resiliency and craftsmanship.  They're also known for being very considered and deliberate in their actions. Getting rid of the hit re-roll may be intended to nudge salamanders into a less run-and gun, more slow and purposeful, playstyle, with the wound re-roll being deemed sufficient to show the superior crafting of their weaponry. 

I suspect both those are factors in their nerf decision.

Thunder Hammers, Melta-weaponry and Flame-weaponry is getting buffed, as are most units who can carry said pieces of wargear. 

Once the dust has settled and the codex has dropped, our CT might have been nerfed, but our overall playstyle (unless you don't use the chapters signature weapons) has been buffed, and we get less penalized for not running MSU which is imo a good thing. 

.....lol

What's funny?

Marines were one of the weakest armies for 2 years out of the 3 of the entire length of 8th edition.

And 6 months of their current power is in a limbo period between 8th and 9th.

So there's literally nothing you can think of from the marine book that needs to be toned down?

Not ridiculous re rolls?

What's funny?

Marines were one of the weakest armies for 2 years out of the 3 of the entire length of 8th edition.

So there's literally nothing you can think of from the marine book that needs to be toned down?

Not ridiculous re rolls?

Armies should be elevated, not toned down. Marines are strong now, when other factions get their 9th edition books they should be made stronger.

I think instead of going from rerolling one hit and one wound to rerolling one wound, it should have been reroll either one wound or one hit. At least that way intead of being two rerolls, it would be one reroll, but you could choose whether it was to hit OR to wound. Really I would have preferred it be rerolling all hits and all wounds, but only for melta and flamer weapons, and maybe thunder hammers too. Of course that would mean we'd need new rules for He'Stan.

What's funny?

Not ridiculous re rolls?

Armies should be elevated, not toned down. Marines are strong now, when other factions get their 9th edition books they should be made stronger.

This is what is going to happen for sure as GW has stated it on their community page.  The issue is that the meta will be very unbalanced until they get the majority of books out.  Sometimes I wish they would have just delayed 9th edition until they had printed enough of the codex's so the meta wouldn't be so skewed.