Heavy Intercessors

L30n1d4s

Yeah that just looks like they're giving us "better intercessors". I guess maybe with a 5" move like Gravis instead of 6", but that would be hugely worth it for 3W troops - especially if they've got decent firepower. Those guns look like they could combine the strengths of various types of bolt rifle. They look very much like what my Crimson Fists would want to field.

The Captain with the Master-Crafted Heavy Bolt Rifle looks like he has the Gravis Leg Armor, Gravis Helmet and Gravis Power pack, while wearing the Intercessor Body and Arm armor.  The Heavy Intercessors will likely be the same.  

I think that they would be squads of 5 max, troop choice. Heavy bolt rifle would be something like range 36, heavy 3, str 5 ap 0 d1. Special rule would be that they don't get penalties for firing heavy weapons after moving since it looks like they got some heavier leg bracing or something. They'd be intercessor stat line, maybe 5" move.

Going by all other Gravis units I'm betting unit of 3 with option to add 3 more models.

That's also my guess. It fits with my theory that this could be a dual kit with the Eradicators. I imagine a box containing 3 guys who you can build with either bolters or meltas - and potentially other options I guess. I'd love to see some Sergeant options, for example.

They definitely should be troops, if they were fire suport the Blood Angel should have a blue helmet.

That doesn't prove anything. The helmets indicate their in-universe FOC classification, not their rules-based battlefield role.

(FWIW, I think they WILL be Troops based on where they're listed in the Codex Table of Contents, it's just that you can't look to FOC conventions as proof for what the battlefield role will be. Two different systems of classification).

Edited by Lord Nord

So, I think (or at least I woul hope) that all three Intercessor types are Troops and that they all have distinct and useful roles, so there are compelling reasons to consider each of them on your army.

For regular Intercessors, I see them as the Tac Marine equivalent, i.e. good durability for their points, decently mobile, weighted toward shooting but respectable at melee, and versatile enough to take advantage of multiple buffs, Strats, etc.

For Assault Intercessors, well their role is pretty obvious, relying on solid durability, mobility, and an extra edge in melee (i.e. +1A and -1AP) compared to regular Intercessors to carry out the duties of affordable close combatants in the Troops slot.

Finally, that leaves us with Heavy Intercessors, the unknown unit right now, but likely to be a Devastator-esque type squad, with emphasis on shooting vice mobility or melee (or even good durability for the points cost).

Based on that, my prediction is that Heavy Intercessors have identical stats to Aggressors (i.e. Move 5", T5, 3W), but are equipped with Heavy Bolt Rifles at a significant points hike compared to regular Intercessors. Perhaps Heavy Bolt Rifles will be something like this:

48" HvyD6 S4 AP-1 Dmg1, Blast

This would give you a long range, anti-horde Troop choice that is differentiated from the other options (including Intercessors with Stalker Bolt Rifles) and is good against enemy shooting, but vulnerable to being tied up in melee.

I think you're on the right track but slightly too generous. I'm betting "heavy" gives them the same +1w that the Bladeguard (keep wanting to spell that with two words) have. That would be the only statline change. "Heavy" as far as the Bolt Rifle?

Ohboy that's a doozy. My thought is there was rampant outrageous theories on the Assault Intercessors and Astarte Chainswords at first. The most common miss was a +1S. My thought is we want this to stay in the same point range as other Intercessors (that 3rd wound being a big issue) so the weapon has to perform close to a Stalker Bolt Rifle but different in my opinion. 

Heavy Bolt Rifle: Range 30", S5, -1AP, 2D, Heavy

Range is fairly unimportant but to give the Stalker a role I cut the range to the rapid-fire version. It's not a sniper rifle, it throws a heabier slower "slug" so it hits harder but penetrates less. Actually I think this is fair spot for a different type of rifle but even this might be a bit much and wouldn't be surprised to see a 24" range . . . and then there's still that third wound to account for.

I'm very enthusiastic for Heavy Intercessors to be the core of my DA 5th Co Heavy Assault (Dreadwing!) detachment.

Statline would be regular Gravis 5" move, T5, W3.

As others have pointed out, i don't expect the Heavy Bolt Rifle to outshine all the other bolt rifle variants, i speculate it'll be a balanced mix of them all at a small premium cost, e.g. R30" / Rapid Fire 1 / S5 / AP -1 / D1.  (perhaps make them Heavy 3, but i'm not sure).

I'm hoping these and the Eradicators will be available as squads of 3 to 6.

The thought of heavy assault intercessors with eviscerators makes me excited, but is unfortunately also entirely wishful thinking.

Also should have heavy bolt pistol for maximum savagery.

Edited by duz_
Fixed quoted post

I'm very enthusiastic for Heavy Intercessors to be the core of my DA 5th Co Heavy Assault (Dreadwing!) detachment.

As others have pointed out, i don't expect the Heavy Bolt Rifle to outshine all the other bolt rifle variants, i speculate it'll be a balanced mix of them all at a small premium cost, e.g. R30" / Rapid Fire 1 / S5 / AP -1 / D1. (perhaps make them Heavy 3, but i'm not sure).

At suspected unit sizes of 3 to 6, I expect the heavy bolt rifle to individually outshine all variants. I think an individual heavy Intercessor is very likely to be tougher and more deadly at range than any other individual Intercessor type. The balance will come from points costs and unit sizes.

As others have pointed out, i don't expect the Heavy Bolt Rifle to outshine all the other bolt rifle variants, i speculate it'll be a balanced mix of them all at a small premium cost, e.g. R30" / Rapid Fire 1 / S5 / AP -1 / D1. (perhaps make them Heavy 3, but i'm not sure).

At suspected unit sizes of 3 to 6, I expect the heavy bolt rifle to individually outshine all variants. I think an individual heavy Intercessor is very likely to be tougher and more deadly at range than any other individual Intercessor type. The balance will come from points costs and unit sizes.
Agreed. What are you thinking for weapon profile? I imagine it’ll be an up-gunned stalker. 36” Heavy 2 S5 AP -2 D2 is my probably overly cautious initial estimate with their gravis armor allowing them to move and shoot without penalty based on some condition like half range. Edited by Daynga-Zone