9th ed Combined Arms

sairence

My first crack at a 9th ed list, now that BS is mostly updated. Actual cost is 1998, Manticore hull weapons still have the old price.

2 Battalions, because I think a full Guard list needs to diversify its doctrines to really be competitive. One custom one for the armour and some meatshields and a Tallarn one for the mobility and Special weapons. Plasma in the IS, Melta in SWS with a Chimera to get them to their target. I'd probably out Melta on all of them of them since Tallarn is so fast, but I only have 6 of each gun. :D

Unsure if the Vox Casters will play more of a role...the idea is to potentially have my Characters sit further back in safety and do actions on objectives while still giving out orders.

The Inquisitor is there for some beefier psychic support. He'll be able to give the Bullgryns an invun, to some MWs or maybe let me regain some CP, depending on what I kit him out with. Free relic with the Mandate can be either the relic blade for some cc-damage or Blackshroud to keep him alive better.

The Bullgryns down to 5 as coherency rules mean the can cover the same length of frontline as a full unit and they can threaten much the same if deployed forward.

Tallarn armoured Sentinels can advance and flame, but they may just move on a forward objective and wait for someone to invest resources into removing 18 T6 wounds.

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this...will get to give it a spin against my friend's Deathguard tonight.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment CP

Regimental Doctrine: Regiment: Tallarn

+ No Force Org Slot +

Inquisitor: 6) Castigation, Blade of the Ordo, Boltgun, Frag & Krak grenades, Malleus - Power Through Knowledge, Malleus - Psychic Mastery, Ordo Malleus, Power sword, Stratagem: Inquisitorial Mandate

. Psyker: Smite

+ HQ +

Company Commander: Chainsword, Frag grenades, Laspistol, Relic: Kurov's Aquila, Warlord

Company Commander: Chainsword, Frag grenades, Shotgun

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad

. 7x Guardsman: 7x Lasgun

. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

. Guardsman w/ Vox-caster: Lasgun, Vox-caster

. Sergeant: Chainsword, Laspistol

Infantry Squad

Infantry Squad

Infantry Squad

Infantry Squad

+ Elites +

Astropath: Laspistol, Psychic Barrier

Astropath: Laspistol, Nightshroud

Bullgryns

. Bullgryn: Bullgryn Maul, Frag Bombs, Slabshield

. Bullgryn Bone 'ead: Bullgryn Maul, Frag Bombs, Slabshield

Special Weapons Squad

. 3x Guardsman: 3x Lasgun

. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Meltagun

Special Weapons Squad

. 3x Guardsman: 3x Lasgun

+ Fast Attack +

Armoured Sentinels

. Armoured Sentinel: Heavy Flamer

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chimera: Heavy Flamer, 2x Lasgun Arrays, Multi-laser, Stat Damage (Chimera)

++ Battalion Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment CP

Regimental Doctrine: Astra Millitarum, Gunnery Experts, Jury-rigged Repairs

+ HQ +

Tank Commander: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Stat Damage (Leman Russ Commander)

Tank Commander: Heavy Bolter, Stat Damage (Leman Russ Commander), Turret-mounted Demolisher Siege Cannon

Tank Commander: Heavy Bolter, Stat Damage (Leman Russ Commander), Turret-mounted Demolisher Siege Cannon

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad

. 9x Guardsman: 9x Lasgun

Infantry Squad

Infantry Squad

+ Fast Attack +

Hellhounds

. Hellhound: Heavy Flamer, Inferno Cannon, Stat Damage (HS)

+ Heavy Support +

Manticore: Heavy Bolter, Stat Damage (HS), 4x Storm Eagle Rockets

++ Total: [116 PL, -4CP, 1,991pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Edited by sairence

This is a good list at 2k. Looks like a solid list overall! I'm just going to comment on the guard component. 

• I'm not sure the vox casters are worth it, feels like an all or nothing thing. For the points you could almost grab a Platoon Commander who can play nurse maid to whatever units you want to help out most. 
  • Armored Sentinels with Flamers seem kinda, meh? I might just go with Autocannons for some more mobile dakka or just the tried and true multi laser. I see your reasoning, I'm just not sure how effective they will be, but hey who knows? 
  • Good call on doing the 5 man bullgryn unit. I think a lot of players don't realize that's going to be the new normal due to the blast rules. 
  • If you can scrounge up another 15pts to add 3 more plasma guns to your infantry squads I think it would be a good investment. 
  • Heavy flamers on Demolishers might be worth the switch since they will be going in close for the kill. 

Curious to see how your list fares! 

So first game went well, we finished up after T3 due to it getting late on a weekday. I was ahead 41:33 and would have probably jumped quite a lot in the last two turns as he had basically had a small force of 2 blight drones and a demon prince forward and a squad of cultists with some characters in the back, both of which would have taken a serious beating.

So some reflections...

The Sentinels did well at soaking up fire, but never actually got to shoot their flamers. So Autocannons are probably the right call. I think if I want to go for the flamers they need to be on scout sentinels to make use of the extra movement.

The Bullgryns did great, beating up some nurglings and a plague burst crawler. His lack of AP better than -2 meant with barrier and cover the were pretty much always at a 2+.

Manticore with full payload is amazing, as always.

The SWS didn't do any damage this game, but they gave my opponent a minor heart attack...so that seems worth the investment. :D I figure I just have to except that they'll flop every now and then...it's built into the price tag for me.

The Plasma on the infantry did a little bit, but quite often they made me debate whether to order take aim or frfsrf...which I don't really like. So I'll probably drop them, if only to speed up my game. It also made me keep them further back than I'd want, wasting the mobility I bring them for. The Vox Casters gave me a lot of flexibility though and served their role in keeping my characters save. With the changed targeting rules and a secondary like assassination a tempting pick against Guard being able to limit their exposure just feels like a good idea. Also, I prefer the look of a squad with a radio, even if it's ingame range is pathetically low. :D Besides, I just don't like Platoon Commanders. Having one guy basically babysit a single squad doesn,t feel good.

Kurov's Aquila definitely got a new lease on live this edition. I considered it one of the weaker relics because it was more or less worthless if you can into an elite army, but with everyone starting with more now it can reliably pick up 3-5 CP over the game I think. And that's my second Battalion paid for.

I've reworked the list bit now. Dropped the Plasmaguns, gave the sentinels 2 ACs and a Lascannon and also put some Hunterkillers on the Demolishers...if I had the models I'd go with Hull-Lascannons instead, but meh.

Heavy Flamers don't really add much to how I play them I think and I'm not at all convinced that sponsons will be worth it at the current price tag. May look into giving them hull flamers though.

Edited by sairence