Still 'safe' to buy older kits?

Similarly, I would advise against starting or buying ANY older squad set, ie: cadians, ork boys, eldar etc are a terrible investment.

I can see Ork Boys being terrible investments right now, but Eldar and Cadians? It's likely they'll get an upgrade somewhere in the not too distant future, but it could also be two years from now. If you need some extra guardsmen for your army, you might as well pick them up, no?

Cadians aged like sour milk and honestly the eldar are equally dated.

If you're going to replace them and they're that numerous...why not hold off or kitbash?

I got close to a hundred Cadians lying around, and I honestly think they aged quite gracefully. Sure, they're old sculpts, the mould lines you got to scrape away are atrocious and the poses can be quite similar after 2 dozen. But for a kit that's over 15 years old, I'd say they stood the test of time better than most. Catachans on the other hand...

Edited by Captain Incompetence

Similarly, I would advise against starting or buying ANY older squad set, ie: cadians, ork boys, eldar etc are a terrible investment.

I can see Ork Boys being terrible investments right now, but Eldar and Cadians? It's likely they'll get an upgrade somewhere in the not too distant future, but it could also be two years from now. If you need some extra guardsmen for your army, you might as well pick them up, no?

Cadians aged like sour milk and honestly the eldar are equally dated.

If you're going to replace them and they're that numerous...why not hold off or kitbash?

To say they're seventeen years old, Cadians have aged very well in my opinion. The big issue they have is the scale of their proportions now being out of whack with the newer kits. When they're lined up alongside the rest of a Guard army and facing Orks, Craftworld Eldar or other, older lines they still look great. It's only really when you put them next to Sisters, GSC and other normal humans that the contrast between new and old gets glaring. 

Edited by Lord Marshal

The Cadian heads have always been giganto though, probably because i guess my first experiences with them were kitbashing for lost and the damned it was more obvious but as they add more and more well proportioned human models to 40k its increasingly obvious. So its not so much that they aged badly as they got shown up.

The Catachans were never good models, even new they had bigger biceps than armoured space marines :D The return of plastic guard was such a game changer at the time for affordability though even though the metal versions were wildly superior. Fortunately the later command/heavy squads are a lot nicer, which i dont think has helped them either tbh :D 

Old marines are safe, just use the mk III- IV ones as a first founding chapter, if old marines go legends you now have a HH army to use. Same with CSM if you do that. I think the only kits GW has re-done that are less than 5 years old is the Imperial knight one with the character option. 

Well, I don't really want to play 30k since it would be a completely new ruleset to learn and I've got nobody to play with in my area.

So while the kits will not get new sculpts anytime soon, they might well become obsolete in 40k and my hobby activity.

I definitely share the concerns of the OP.

I wouldn't start an army that hasn't been recently refreshed at the moment, while I would have in the past.

I think that's because 40k Is currently in a state of flux, and I don't feel sure about investing in, say, Eldar, when they might all become Yinnari in 2-3 years.

Also, when new stuff will inevitably come out, they will make the rest of the army look bad.

So, at this point, I'm basically waiting for range refreshes for a lot of factions I'd potentially be interested in starting.

Edited by The_Bloody

Old marines are safe, just use the mk III- IV ones as a first founding chapter, if old marines go legends you now have a HH army to use. Same with CSM if you do that. I think the only kits GW has re-done that are less than 5 years old is the Imperial knight one with the character option. 

Well, I don't really want to play 30k since it would be a completely new ruleset to learn and I've got nobody to play with in my area.

So while the kits will not get new sculpts anytime soon, they might well become obsolete in 40k and my hobby activity.

In that case you should do what I am doing going back to loyalists- go 100% primaris. The range is much expanded and still growing.