My 9ed experience so far.

McElMcNinja

No plaguemarine bomb? Really interesting.

With the changes to board sizes, terminators are a much more attractive choice to take a more top heavy CSM list. DG termi's are pretty good IMO, I'm just worried about the points for you guys when you get a new dex. 

I'm a big fan the plaguebomb, most likely it will make it back into my list. Currently I'm trying out different things, which I have a tendency to go overboard with. For example I'm running 60 Poxwalkers, which may be too many, but I was able to see how they interacted in so many different situations all in one game. I know I don't have "the" list, I'm just trying to share my experiences and see what other people are running into and what works for them.

Yes, I've gone back and forth with him. Now I have kept him range of my Plaguecaster and Hellbrute, which has been useful. In my last game the Hellbrute was out of his range turn 3 and that's when it died. I do like the Tallyman, especially when I start with so few CP or a surgeon as he's basically another Arch-Contaminator. I've also considered a second Blightspawn, they are very useful, both with their aura and weapon.

How are the deathsroud doing for you? I want to use mine but they just don't seem to do anything my plaguemarines can't.

I think you could put in another helbrute instead of them and maybe find points for a 3rd?

Tbh honest I'm not sure the investment is worth it. A fleshmower drone is 125pts more but has more wounds and inbuilt inv and dr saves. Oh and 2'' more movement. And it dishes out more attacks as well. Hard choices but all of them seem good.

I think a single brute with fist and heavy bolter might not be a bad choice either.

I had forgotten about fleshmower, mostly because I only had a 100 points to spare in my list, it is something to consider. I could drop the Blightbringer and have enough points to do so. Admittedly I do like the extra roll for advancing he offers.

Deathshroud are there so I can score the 15 points for While We Stand. Their flamers suck and they are slow, but they have been useful regardless. They intercepted a couple overwatch shots against Typhus and granted him an additional attack.

Thanks for the input, you've given me some good stuff to think about, going to go look at my list again.

I was able to get several games in (8) and I've gone 5-3. My losses were to White Scars, Dark Eldar, and Custodes, wins were to Harlies x2 (different players and lists), Guard, GK, and SW.

I've changed up my list some so I'm going to focus on my last game here, SW. I tried a Hellbrute with double fist, 5+++, and for most of the game a 5++. He survived 3 turns getting hit by Long Fangs w/5 lascannon, 3 Razorbacks w/twin assault cannons, and a unit of 3 guys with 24" melta guns (can't think of their name right now). He was my MVP, taking so much fire and able to charge a Razorback and kil it. My next MVP was a Plaguecaster who was able to kill another Razorback, a unit of 3 new bikes, and a Wolf-lord on wolf. His MW output was so good, doing 1+d3 MW's per cast plus casting Curse of the Lepper and Smite, he did between 8 to 12 MWs per turn.

My list also includes 60 Poxwalkers, 2x20 and 2x10 units that I keep within range of Typhus and Necrosis. They are getting the +1S/T and re-roll 1's for DR. I usually hit 1 unit with the +1S/T and another with -1 to be hit while 2 units are hidden or far enough back they can't be meaningfully targeted. I've also been able to take up enough space with them that no one has made it into my deployment zone.

The biggest change for me has been my lack of shooting. I have 2 units that can shoot over 12" and other then characters I have a unit that can shoot 6". In my last game I lost my 2 Blightlord units, my Hellbrute, and a unit of Poxwalkers. With my lack of shooting I still managed to kill 3 Razorbacks, 1 drop pod, 1 unit of 5 Terminators, 3 units of troops (1x5 and 2x10), 2 characters on wolves, and 1 unit of the new bikes.

I still need to tweet my list, but I am happy with where DG are and their potential.

Apologies for quoting the long block of text, but I was wondering how you were doing the 1+d3 additional mortal wounds a cast?

It's a relic from PA, it does 1 MW with a successful cast and an additional d3 MW if a 7 or more was rolled for the test.

That's not how it works if you're talking about The Wretched relic.

"PUTRESCENT RELIC: THE DAEMON’S FAVOUR

MALIGNANT PLAGUECASTER model only. A model from your army with this Relic replaces its Pestilential Fallout ability with the following:

Torrent of Putrefaction: After resolving a psychic power manifested by this model, if the result of the Psychic test for that power was less than 7, the nearest enemy unit within 7" of this model suffers 1 mortal wound. In addition, if the result of the Psychic test for that power was 7 or more, select one enemy unit within 7" of this model. That unit suffers D3 mortal wounds."

If you roll less than 7, nearest enemy takes one. If you roll 7 or more, you pick an enemy within 7" and it takes d3. It uses the words "in addition", but as it's impossible to roll less than seven while also rolling seven or greater, you never get both.

After re-reading the Relic, I have played it wrong. It does say if you roll under a 7 and then if you roll a 7+, which you can't do both. Thank you for pointing that out.

Sevenfold Blessings is still useful, but beyond that it's not beneficial unless that's the company you are running and plan on summoning. Time to find a better combo.

I don't think we will be getting the SM treatment, but we need updates. Now that all vehicles can move and shoot without penalty, bolter discipline, and feel no pain being very common, we've lost our identity. Sure we are tough (and slow) and going to 2 wounds, but weapons damage is going up as well.

Maybe all of our characters and some of our other units will natively have DR and Lord of Contagions will have the re-roll aura.

We are also lacking weapons with AP, I could see them addressing that. I'm also hopeful our flamer type weapons get longer ranges, making them more viable.

Edited by McElMcNinja

Right. Not wishlisting, but I think we will get the flamer buff too. Would be nice, I got two flamer drones. I do hope some of the CP to upgrade some of our less than useful units get built in.

I'm having a hard time planning my lists right now and deciding what kits to purchase next. Having PM go to 2W, some of the weapon changes (flamer range, multi melta shots, etc...), the changes to vehicles, not knowing what from PA will carry over and if any of it will be built in, how our legion trait will be reworked and army wide, and what our mono bonus will be (sisters got one, and the leak from space marines and Necrons each have one, I got a feeling that will be a new trend going forward).

I originally thought 9th was just going to be minor changes but it actually is changing alot for us. Mostly for the better though, we were not hit as hard on the point increases, and with all the focus on objectives now, there is less firepower to remove units and we have the toughest (or one of) army in the game. So it could be worse.

Let us keep knowing of your exploits Ninja! I might not always comment or like them, but I am definitely reading all of them and taking it in. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I played against SWs again today, I didn't change my list while he hade made several changes to his. Spoiler, I lost, but it was close and I learned nothing is a guarantee. I had charged Typhus into a character with 2 wounds left, hit and wounded 6 times, he made all 6 saves. That wasn't supposed to happen and he destroyed Typhus in return. That swung the game in his favor and I couldn't recover.

We both chose While We Stand and Raise the Banners, my third was Psychic Ritual (a waste) while his was Engage on all Fronts. I was just testing out PR and I attempted it too late. DG need buffs and I spent the first 2 turns doing just that Instead of trying to do the secondary. I did keep him from scoring Engage till the last 2 turns and had Typhus survived, he would not have scored it.

With the Wretched and 1CP I was able to summon 5 Nurglings turn 1, I blocked his movement with them and he spent 2 turns trying to kill them. To finish them off he was shooting lascannons at them, it helped it was the only unit (besides Poxwalkers) he could shoot at.

My only shooting came from 2 units of Blightlords (1 5 man unit with combi-meltas and a flail and a 10 man unit with combi-bolters and 2 flails) and the Blightspawn. I was still able to destroy 2 whirlwinds, a leviathan, 2 squads of marines, and a couple characters. He killed 2 characters, all my Terminators, a Hellbrute, and most of my Poxwalkers, plus my summoned Daemons.

I told him before the game my plan to win, after the game he said if I had stuck to my plan I would have won. I got greedy and as I'm an aggressive player it was hard to sit there and do nothing. That was my downfall, I had him pinned on his side of the board. I could have sat back and made him chew through my stuff, but I over extended and left openings for him to exploit.

I will also add, the new board size is such an advantage for DG. It is very easy for us to screen out stuff and (if able) play the long game with our durability.

The next list I am trying is 2,000 points and 5CP.

++ Battalion Detachment ++

Plague Company: The Harbingers

Gifts of Decay [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Nurgle: Plague Wind, Hellforged sword, Shamblerot, The Epidemicyst Blade, Warlord, Wings

Necrosius the Undying: Miasma of Pestilence, Blades of Putrefaction, Putrescent Vitality

Typhus: Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality, Harbinger of Nurgle

+ Troops +

20x Poxwalkers

20x Poxwalkers

10x Poxwalkers

10x Poxwalkers

+ Elites +

5x Blightlord Terminators: 4x Bubotic Axe, Combi-melta

1x Flail of Corruption

3x Deathshroud Terminators

Noxious Blightbringer: Plasma pistol, The Daemon's Toll

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino: 2x Combi-bolter, Contaminated Monstrosity, Havoc launcher

++ Patrol Detachment ++

Detachment CP [-2CP]

Plague Company: The Wretched

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster: Gift of Contagion, Curse of the Leper, Sevenfold Blessings

+ Troops +

10x Poxwalkers

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino: 2x Combi-bolter, Contaminated Monstrosity, Havoc launcher

Reinforcements 242pts

Edited by McElMcNinja

Got another game in today, against UMs, with my new list. I had 10 Poxwalkers in each rhino, put the 3rd 10 man unit under ground with the strat, and my Blightlords in deepstrike. Lined my 2 20 man units upfront for a nice screen. He had two scout units deployed on objectives pretty close to my lines. I unloaded a rhino and advanced both towards 1 objective while popping smoke playing Cloud on the unit and just moved the second rhino towards the other. Flew my DP towards the scouts where the Poxwalkers went. I played Dead Walk Again. Summoned Nurglings near his front line. I cast Blades on the DP and buffed units while casting smiting the scouts near the loaded rhino, killing 1. Shooting phase I shot the rhino into the last 4 scouts, killing 3. Charge phase I charge my DP into the 5 scouts and the rhino into the other scout. My DP killed all 5 scouts, between the strat and his warlord trait, I was able to add 10 Poxwalkers to that unit and held that objective. The rhino did not kill the lone scout and he almost played the start to auto pass morale, but I reminded him that was a once per game strat and he chose not to. He failed and I now controlled 4 objectives.

His turn he did manage to kill both rhinos and most of the Nurglings. I did lose a Poxwalker when their rhino blew, but I still held that objective.

Turn 2 I brought in my reserves, the Terminators landed out of site, but between the objective and his forces. I had clouded the smaller unit on the objective, miasma on the other with putrescent and moved Typhus up enough they were now at T5. I had no shooting or charges, I just sat on my objectives.

He was able to shoot some Poxwalkers and charge the unit I clouded. He killed off 7 while I did a wound to his guys.

My turn 3, flew my DP over to the other objective and put dead walk again on them. My Blightlords shot at a repulsor, but did only 4 wounds. I chose not to charge cuz it was an 8" charge that would have left them exposed. I summoned 3 more Nurglings to slow him down. My DP went in and killed 8, netting me 16 more Poxwalkers. He did play the strat, but I thought it a waste as he was locked in combat and I had more objectsecure models on the objective. By the end of his turn he had managed to kill a bunch of the other unit and all my Nurglings, but he still clearly was not going to ever get my objectives as I had moved another unit up and had Typhus, Necrosius, and my Deathshroud there.

We talked out what he could score in the last 2 rounds, but I had already scored 30 primary and would max it. He may have been able to kill the DP if he committed enough to that side of the board, but I would still get 10 for While We Stand. I had 9 from Domination and would score it at least 1 more turn, plus the mission secondary I had earned 8 and would score that 1 more turn.

All in all it went well, although he wasn't he wasn't playing aggressive. He mostly sat back and tried to shoot me off objectives instead of trying to contest them. He did manage to kill all my Nurglings, rhinos, and a lot of Poxwalkers. I only killed the scouts and a couple other units. We are to play again.

Edited by McElMcNinja

Nice games man. It seems that our toughness is winning us games which is just as planned.

I would never choose the psychic secondaries. Our psychers are too imprtant and not cheap at all to waste tgem on stuff like that. Look up my latest report and see how psychic interogation basically nearly cost me the game.

I got 2 more games in against the UM player, same lists, and we played both games using the same mission and deployment, we just traded off who went first.

Very different results, I believe this was due in part to him knowing what my list does. Example, in the first game he deployed his scouts near objectives and I was able to charge them and turn them into Poxwalkers. After that he deployed, then redeployed further back.

My mission selection was not good, I chose While We Stand. It's a trap, while I was well protected, our characters are to valuable and I was hiding them when I should have been using them more aggressively. Had I chosen say Deploy Scramblers, I would have scored that easily. Sure it's worth 5 less points, but if I lose 1 character, I'm only getting 10 points anyway. Plus he knew I needsd to keep them alive which made him try harder to get them. Why give him another reason to after them.

This particular mission had the objectives spread out, I tried to spread out and hold them all. That's not what we do, had I just stuck to 2, he would not have moved me off of them. I should not have tried for the hold more points till later in the game. I mean I had a unit of Poxwalkers holding the objective in his deployment by turn 4. But I had lost the 2 in the middle, because I spread myself to thin.

I put DR on my 2 rhinos and had them in range for the 5++ from Daemons Toll, both blasted off the table turn 1. I've tried this combo several times now and I can't say it's worth the investment. 1 CP for each rhino and another for Relics of Decay strat for a second relic. I was able to pop smoke on them and even being -1 to hit, they still dropped. It's only 2 CP to put 10 PMs, the Putrifier, and a Blightspawn in strategic reserves. They are guaranteed to last the first turn.

The Deathshroud are great protection from snipers, he had a couple units of those. But he made quick work of them turn 2, I may revisit them after they get their 3rd wound.

Now for a little rant. I may have done better against anything but Space Marines, all his units (minus the scouts) had 3 or more wounds and was re-rolling everything, EVERYTHING. To hit rolls, wound rolls, damage rolls, number of shots, ugh. And if they truly change DR to -1 to be hit instead we are dead. What is -1 to be hit with all those re-rolls and we no longer can get better then -1 to be hit. At that point we are basically playing Little Green Army Men, no pun intended. For those who don't know, in that game you get a bag of green army men, setup a battle field, and if they can see something it dies, no dice required. Sorry, rant over.

I've come up with a new list to try against them again, I will let you know how it goes.

Edited by McElMcNinja

Just wanted to say thank you for posting your game recaps. First-hand experience is the most valuable in seeing what is working.

You're welcome, I do enjoy the game win or lose. And since the wife has no clue what I'm talking about I share it here.

Here is my new list.

++ Battalion Detachment ++

Plague Company: The Harbingers

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Nurgle: Blades of Putrefaction, Hellforged sword, Shamblerot, The Epidemicyst Blade, Warlord, Wings

Necrosius the Undying: Miasma of Pestilence, Blades of Putrefaction, Putrescent Vitality

Typhus: Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality, Harbinger of Nurgle (-1CP)

+ Troops +

10x Plague Marines:

Plague Champion: Plasma pistol

7x Plague Marine: Boltgun

2x Plague Marine: Flail of Corruption

20x Poxwalkers

20x Poxwalkers

20x Poxwalkers

10x Poxwalkers

+ Elites +

Biologus Putrifier: Arch-Contaminator, Plaguechosen (-1CP)

6x Blightlord Terminators:

Blightlord Champion: Balesword, Combi-melta

4x Blightlord Terminator: Bubotic Axe, Combi-melta

Blightlord Terminator: Flail of Corruption

Foul Blightspawn

Foul Blightspawn

+ Fast Attack +

Foetid Bloat-drone: Heavy blight launcher

Foetid Bloat-drone: Fleshmower

++ Total: [107 PL, 2,000pts, 10CP] ++

I was able to get in 5 games this weekend, I was very happy with the results. I don't remember all the details, so this is just a high level overview. With the exception of 1 game I chose While We Stand, Engage, and Deploy Scanners each game. For one game I chose the mission secondary instead of Engage.

First game was vs World Eaters, I won this game 71-57. He won the rolloff but chose to go second. This allowed me to get early board control and he couldn't catch up.

Second game was against AdMech, he went first and had so much shooting, it was pretty much over turn 1 for me. I lost 50-95, scored most of my secondaries but couldn't get primaries.

Third game vs Iron Hands, probably the most fun game. I won 85-79. Because of terrain and Cloud, his leviathan didn't shoot 3 of his 5 turns.

Fourth game was against Guard, this came down to the last turn where I lost 90-95. I got greedy with my DP and left him open to tank fire. Otherwise the score would have been flipped.

Last game was against White Scars, I screened him out so well and able to win 65-30. He wasn't able to score any of his secondaries and only scored 20 on primary.

My MVP was the 10 man Poxwalker unit, using the strat from PA I was able to put them underground. Every game they came up in their deployment to score my deploy Scramblers. The other blobs of Poxwalkers kept (for the most part) anyone from coming to my side of the board.

I put the PM's, Putrifier, and a Blightspawn in strategic reserves each game. They plague bombed a bomber, two contemptor dread, a russ, and an impulsor (which they then charged the passengers, killing them).

The Drones didn't kill much, but they absorbed a lot of fire power. Keeping shots off other things and scoring me Engage.

The Terminators dropped in and only killed 1 rhino and a unit of Outriders with their melta shots. Their shining moment was when they were charged by 6 assault aggressors and he chose to fight first something else. So I interrupted and killed 5 of them. The flail got 2 while the rest got the other 3. Aura of Rust helped, getting the extra AP.

The game against AdMech had the worst terrain setup, that may have played out differently otherwise. Other then that my list played well and not sure what I would change. Our new codex may change that.