Grey Knights and Deathwatch list

Skywrath

Thinking of merging my GK's with DW for a "Death Knights" list at 2000 points.

The idea is pretty simple - take the strongest aspects of both factions and merge them together. Then provide synergy to make it fun to play. Planning on making this list competitive. However, I have zero idea how the Deathwatch works, and what units are good, which ones aren't. From the GK (probably dominant faction in these lists) side of things, I'm planning on taking 10 paladins, probably Kaldor and Voldus and an Inquisitor. For Deathwatch, I'm probably looking at shooty units (mostly aggressors) with something that packs a punch (maybe hellblasters?). Ideally they would be units that hold objectives well. To add to this, I'm not sure what stratagems the DW employ that could shift my perspective on units that I consider bad, that could be good, and vice versa.

Thanks in advance!  

Edited by Skywrath

Quite an elite army you’re planning there... I like it!

I suspect our codex/supplement will change us quite a bit in October and after, so my advice is tailored to the current in-flux state of DW and marines in general, but since it’s a pretty general question/answer hopefully it’ll still apply down the road for you.

Deathwatch can definitely provide a shooty and tanky infantry base for you to go along with paladins gating onto the enemy’s backline. If you’re combining these two armies I think it would be worthwhile to go all infantry to prevent enemy anti tank/vehicle weapons from having ideal targets. Plus infantry is what these two factions do best anyways.

Mixed fortis (primaris) kill teams seem to be our strongest unit going into 9th. My all-star unit so far has been a unit of 5 autobolt intercessors and 5 aggressors. The aggressors allow the entire unit to advance and shoot without penalty, helping them arrive on the mid board without need of transport. They also make the unit majority toughness 5, making the intercessors T5 as well. They act as ablative wounds as well as being deadly themselves if left unchecked. To improve the efficiency of the unit I bring a chaplain with the Tome of the Ectoclades relic which allows him to select a different mission tactic for close units. He becomes a chaplain/lieutenant combo with this. With his +1 to hit litany and our group of 2cp stratagems that give +1 to wound on a target this unit can either wipe hordes or Armour with its weight of fire coming in at over 100 shots average when not moving. This unit attracts a lot of attention so I also place an Ordo malleus inquisitor with them to give a 5++.

For anti Armour the hellblasters you mentioned mixed with 5 intercessors is a good budget option, but I prefer a unit with 5 intercessors, 1 aggressor and 4 plasma inceptors. This unit is majority T5, puts out more plasma shots than the hellblasters and can advance and shoot without penalty allowing the intercessors to keep up better with the inceptors for coherency purposes. Make sure to have a captain around for reroll ones. This unit is an excellent target for our teleportarium stratagem allowing any infantry, biker or Dreadnought to deepstrike.

There’s plenty more DW has to offer, but those are my favorite units for 9th so far. Most of our strats are niche with many being Xenos races specific, I find large amounts of my CP end up getting spent on our +1 to wound strats for different enemy battlefield roles.

Done that, added to the list. Replaced the chaplain with a Chaplain Dreadnought for Icon of Hate and the extra nifty stuff. Does anyone else have more things to add? Knowledge is power after-all ;p