Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New starter sets

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

Havok13

Havok13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 90 posts
https://www.warhamme...r-sets-sighted/

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,832 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

So less models than Dark Imperium but a decent chunk of terrain instead. Definitely makes it more of a 'starter-starter set' so to speak, but less enticing to those who've been around the block a while or don't play at home.

Edited by Lord Marshal, 27 July 2020 - 02:20 PM.

gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.png

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,544 posts
Includes an announcement of the multi-part Bladeguard kit with an expected release soon™

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,037 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

Interesting approach. In any case, gotta say that having a variety of potential entries at different price points is a smart move.

• Firedrake Cordova, Son of Carnelian and Doctor Perils like this

bRxSYDV.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 843 posts

So they say the reason the Bladeguard Vets aren't in any of the sets is because they're being released separately soon.

Well, the Eradicators aren't in any of the sets either, so...

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,831 posts

So they say the reason the Bladeguard Vets aren't in any of the sets is because they're being released separately soon.

I think they made specific mention of the Bladeguard because the photo of the full kit has been floating around for a few days now. Probably just to acknowledge that. We haven’t seen the full eradicators photo yet

gallery_86689_11936_21517.pngsml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

War Angel

War Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,261 posts
  • Faction: Eagles Eternal
I want that terrain....
  • Master Commander Ajax likes this
USMC based Space Marines, the Eagles Eternal check out their WIP blog at The Eagle Spire
gallery_45765_12339_49118.pngETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

Raven1

Raven1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,061 posts
I like the terrain, but I dont need another core rules book.
  • mithrilforge likes this

gallery_33260_13323_10404.pnggallery_33260_13323_11012.pngETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_02_.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Chaos_DemonsETL_Medal_01.gif

TheDreadfulSagittary

TheDreadfulSagittary

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 218 posts
  • Faction: IH, SoH, IK

Interesting. I'm curious for the price on the Command Edition Box, might grab that one if it hits the shelves.

I used to be a regular Space Marine, just like you. - but then I took the Horus Heresy in the knee...

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

The Elite and Command edition are missing the Indomitus jumbo G sprue for the marines, and the H sprue for the necrons.

So for the marines on the G sprue, that's

Bladeguard

Eradicators

Judiciar

Chaplain

Ancient

plus the separate Lieutenant C sprue, which is cut to be a separate release as-is.

For the necrons H sprue, that's

Canoptek Reanimator

Cryptothralls

Necron Plasmancer

Skorpekh Lord

and i think the Necron Royal Warden as the other half of C sprue.

Destined for start collecting boxes ala shadowspear, maybe? Or just never to be seen again, ala Dark Imperium models that never got released separately

I suspected this might happen to those 2 sprues ever since I saw the sprue list for Indomitus, which is why I pre-ordered.

Edited by Arkhanist, 27 July 2020 - 02:38 PM.

gallery_53969_15812_3395.gif gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg gallery_48988_15465_4294.png gallery_48988_15094_4883.png

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,138 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

nice idea, means people can enter the hobby at a level that is manageable for them.

• Son of Carnelian, Kierdale and Alby the Slayer like this

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

Reinhard

Reinhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,374 posts

I think they made specific mention of the Bladeguard because the photo of the full kit has been floating around for a few days now. Probably just to acknowledge that. We haven’t seen the full eradicators photo yet

Well, the Indomitus eradicators, bladeguard, ancient, judicar and chaplain all share one large sprue. You can't really split those guys up, so multipart kits are expected.

Anyway, I'm expecting a bunch of more reveals to be coming since the codex reveal. There's a bunch of things we've yet to see, and then a bunch of things we should expect multi kits off, as most things have gotten them.

• SufficientAnonymity likes this

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,643 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
The included terrain is a nice touch. I've been arguing for terrain in starter sets since Battle for Macragge.
  • Firedrake Cordova, Silas7 and FinalCookie like this

Irbis

Irbis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,599 posts

Interesting approach. In any case, gotta say that having a variety of potential entries at different price points is a smart move.

Not really. That used to be approach in 8th edition - small, medium, and large starters. This one is small and medium only (large was replaced by medium + terrain). Which is kinda bad, old 'large' starter was two full battle ready armies and small/medium ones had completely different miniatures so combining these added variety unlike two new same-same ones. Overall, feels like a large step back compared to previous sets.

Also, bladeguard and eradicators aside, Indomitus was full of characters. Will these be disappear forever like the ones from Dark Imperium now that Indomitus is gone? down.gif

• Noserenda, shandwen, Aarik and 1 other like this

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,832 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

Also, bladeguard and eradicators aside, Indomitus was full of characters. Will these be disappear forever like the ones from Dark Imperium now that Indomitus is gone? down.gif

The Indomitus ones are exclusive to that box I think, thus the demand for it.

I'd be shocked if Dark Imperium's characters didn't appear in a Primaris/Death Guard Start Collecting(!) soon though, since I don't think they ever said anything about those being exclusive. 

• SufficientAnonymity likes this
gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.png

abraxus

abraxus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 372 posts

At least the picture of the full bladeguard set confirms that the sergeant can take a plasma pistol.

Mandragola

Mandragola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,039 posts

This is interesting. I've been wondering if we'll see multipart versions of the outriders and assault intercessors. It seems to me that the squads that fit completely on a single sprue like that don't really need to be created as multipart kits. I wouldn't be surprised if they just released a box with the outriders in at some point, for example.

There were models in Dark Imperium that never got an independent release. The Primaris ancient, for example. I think that was on the equivalent of the same sprue with all the squad leaders, lieutenants and so on.

I could be extrapolating too much though. It's entirely possible they just designed the intercessors, outriders, necron warriors etc. to be on their own sprues so they could go into starter sets like this. In that case it wouldn't have much bearing on whether they were going to be replicated in future. The intercessors, inceptors and hellblasters in Dark Imperium all did get their own kits eventually.

C+C always welcome on my Titanic Plog. Should really be painting Crimson Fists.

gallery_48988_15151_9524.pnggallery_45765_12339_6416.pnggallery_48988_16045_14557.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_6255.png

Black_Knight

Black_Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,726 posts
  • Faction: AdMech, DW, IK, Blood Ravens

I prefer this, lets someone starting the hobby actually play on a battlefield rather than on the parents plain kitchen table. Less units so you do not overwhelm new people with too many HQs when they do not even know what they are. Move on to the Start collecting after this and I think this is a good way to do it.

What I don't approve of is over 100+ pages missing out of the rulebook?

• Firedrake Cordova, firestorm40k, Halandaar and 1 other like this

gallery_48988_15465_45080.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.pngETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gif

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,031 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

The Recruit and Elite editions are pretty much exactly what I expected right down to the specific kits included.

The Command Edition is unexpected,and a bit weird in that it's the exact same unit kits as the Elite version. I quite like that there's a starter set with proper terrain in it again, but it seems as much designed to bait veterans into buying again (slimmed down Rulebook and new Terrain) as it is for genuine newcomers to the hobby.

Well, the Indomitus eradicators, bladeguard, ancient, judicar and chaplain all share one large sprue. You can't really split those guys up, so multipart kits are expected.

Anyway, I'm expecting a bunch of more reveals to be coming since the codex reveal. There's a bunch of things we've yet to see, and then a bunch of things we should expect multi kits off, as most things have gotten them.

I guess the concern is that not everything is guaranteed to get it's own release, much like the Gravis Captain and Lord of Contagion (and various others) from Dark Imperium never did.

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpggallery_84244_11417_13552.png

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,977 posts

I think it's more to do with the sprue designs. The Assault Intercessors and bikes are seperate sprues and the Nercon and Astartes commander sprues are paired as well. The bulk of the more unique models were on a joined sprue with Bladeguard, Chaplain, etc all mixed in together.

We do know Eradicator's are getting a multipart box though because an alternate weapon version (might be a flamer by the looks of it) was spotted in the codex reveal seperate to the Heavy Intercessors.

So what I think we are seeing is Indominus was the starter sprues seen in the new WC article but with a couple of extras thrown in.

Truescale MKIII Tutorial

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,031 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

There's almost 200 pages of lore and pictures before you even get to the rules in the "Core" book. They can definitely afford to leave some of that out.

• Doghouse and FinalCookie like this

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpggallery_84244_11417_13552.png

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,037 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

Not really. That used to be approach in 8th edition - small, medium, and large starters. This one is small and medium only (large was replaced by medium + terrain). Which is kinda bad, old 'large' starter was two full battle ready armies and small/medium ones had completely different miniatures so combining these added variety unlike two new same-same ones. Overall, feels like a large step back compared to previous sets.

Yes, really. It might "feel like a large step back" to you, but you're not the intended audience. This is still clearly an emulation of the 8th edition approach which was by all accounts very successful. It's not rocket science. You can combine the small with either the medium or "large" set with no real redundancy (troops choice aside). I fail to see how anybody can look at this negatively. GW aren't going to have units appear in the Indomitus box never to be shown again. With regards to something like Dark Imperium, I fully expect SC boxes for Primaris & DG to come out sooner or later using those models.

Edited by Marshal Loss, 27 July 2020 - 02:57 PM.

• Firedrake Cordova, Master Commander Ajax, Antarius and 2 others like this

bRxSYDV.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,794 posts
  • Faction: Genesis Chapter 4th Co. M37
They don’t hold any appeal personally, though it’s good to see some multi level (financially!) entry points again for sure.

...the terrain is pretty.

BCC
BCC's Hobby Guide:
- Be Grim Dark not Grim Derp
- Hobby for 15 minutes a day
- Your miniatures are always the best painted in the room
- Game with your heart and don't care about losing
- Make sure your opponent is having fun 

Black_Knight

Black_Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,726 posts
  • Faction: AdMech, DW, IK, Blood Ravens

There's almost 200 pages of lore and pictures before you even get to the rules in the "Core" book. They can definitely afford to leave some of that out.

Isn't the lore something we should be excited to introduce a new player too though?

• Firedrake Cordova, Master Commander Ajax and WrathOfTheLion like this

gallery_48988_15465_45080.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.pngETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gif

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,597 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

The starter sets seem fine to me.

I do like the terrain from the big one, hopefully there's more of that available.

It is good that the terrain is in the starter. It is meant to give someone everything they need to start playing, and terrain is part of that.

• mithrilforge, Master Commander Ajax and FinalCookie like this

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users