Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New starter sets

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

Rune Priest Jbickb

Rune Priest Jbickb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,373 posts
From the community article about the starter sets:

The Recruit Edition includes a gaming manual to help you learn the basics of the game. In it, you’ll find a detailed description of the grimdark setting of Warhammer 40,000, as well as an overview of the Space Marines and Necrons pitted against one another in the set.

The elite contains the same but with assemblies for those units instead.

So it is a rulebook light, with a bit of fluff.
Never Mistake:
My Silence for Ignorance
My Calmness for Acceptance
My Kindness for Weakness

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,699 posts

CA is tournament only
For a narrative player like Me Crusade system is great so CA is not useful

I'm not saying you need Chapter Approved, I'm saying it contains a reprint of the rules from the Core Book that are actually required to play the game, so it serves as a good example of what might be expected from the mini-books in the starter sets.

Crusade is an expansion of the core ruleset, just the same as matched play and the tournament stuff in CA, but none of them are necessary and new players don't need any of that stuff to get started.
The rule set in CA doesn't include also Missions for narrative or open play
Just missions for tournaments
It is basically a competitive rule set
Only the books in the Command starter set include the full rules
The Élite and Recruit starter sets includes only the base rules and the appropriate missions
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,701 posts
WHC confirms the datasheets for the Invader, Firestrike, Lokhust, and Doomstalker are included in the starter sets, so that’s where the leaks we have seen are from.

https://www.warhamme...our-next-steps/

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,474 posts
  • Faction: The Scions

But maybe I'm just weird and only the rules and the models matter!

Not weird. Though I've not been much of a fan of the fluff in rulebooks and codexes since 2nd edition, where the fluff in those books was actually good.

The idea of a having 2 versions of the books, a gamers edition with just the rules and a complete edition with both rules and fluff, is something I'd get behind.

Personally, I don't need the regurgitated fluff, so a (hopefully cheaper) gamers edition would be better for me.

Edited by Dam13n, 07 August 2020 - 03:32 PM.

tvih

tvih

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,319 posts
  • Faction: CF/BT/Orks/SoB/IG

I think cutting out the fluff from the rule book (if that's what they've done) is a mistake.

I've played a few miniatures games, but 40k is the only one I've come back to again and again, and the fluff is a big part of that - I still remember the bit about "Scotti the Enginseer" from Adeptus Titanicus.

But maybe I'm just weird and only the rules and the models matter!

To me it's indeed about the fluff and models, rules-wise the game is rather... mediocre. But... I rarely end up reading fluff from codexes and rulebooks and such. I mean to, but it generally never happens. Instead, I just read actual novels. A full story beats a history book-like cursory glance any day, unless you just want a quick overview of course.

As such I liked the softcover "pocket rulebooks" you got in the starter sets in 5-7th (maybe earlier, but I wasn't around for 'em). Less bulk to carry around, less extraneous pages to flip through while playing.

• Juggernut and Urkh like this

VanDutch

VanDutch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 156 posts
I’ve got a strange and surprising urge to buy the buggy and run a sort of Blood Angels speed waaaagh...

Note; this is for fun, not for competitive reasons.

Edited by VanDutch, 07 August 2020 - 06:15 PM.

• Firedrake Cordova likes this

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,723 posts
  • Faction: Confessors

I’ve got a strange and surprising urge to buy the buggy and run a sort of Blood Angels speed waaaagh...

Red ones go fasta? 

Not sure if that "science" holds up under Imperium standards

• Firedrake Cordova, VanDutch and Dark Shepherd like this
gallery_29004_6198_9307.pnggallery_48988_6285_7306.pnggallery_48988_6285_1776.jpggallery_48988_6285_6092.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_2146.pngcatg2.pnggallery_45765_11565_4862.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifgallery_30308_9518_8389.pnggallery_74802_15827_10034.jpggallery_48988_15738_19809.pnggallery_30308_9518_8597.jpg

VanDutch

VanDutch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 156 posts

Red ones go fasta?

Not sure if that "science" holds up under Imperium standards
Chanting is as useful as a good crimson paint job if you ask me!

I just love the idea of Outriders and Invaders rushing ahead of Impulsors and Repulsors that then unload a mass of red Assault Intercessors and Aggressors into the face of the enemy. Fluff wise of course.

Throw in a chaplain on bike for fun too.

Edited by VanDutch, 07 August 2020 - 06:22 PM.

• KBA and wildweasel like this

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,701 posts

Marine Paint Set AssInters do have sculpted shoulder99170101012_SMPaintSet04.jpg pad icons:

• Redrandy93, Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra, Triszin and 3 others like this

Daynga-Zone

Daynga-Zone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 138 posts
The nice thing about playing DW is you get used to cutting off shoulder pads and filing off markings.
  • Black Blow Fly, Gederas, Antarius and 2 others like this

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,037 posts
I stand corrected on the moulded pads. Apologies. Have to say I'm quite surprised as to why.
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,716 posts
There’s a pricing mistake on GW Japan’s website, which the shops are correcting on their Social Media :D

The command edition is priced at 23,500 yen. Fair enough. Last one was 20k, I think.
The elite edition is priced at 12,500 yen. Fair enough. Last one was 10k.
The recruit edition is priced at 3,250yen. Super cheap! The last one was 4k.
That’s extremely good value!

And of course a mistake. It should be 6,250 yen.
Apparently if you ordered already, Customer Services will contact you :D

Here was me about to buy two!

tangoalphatwo

tangoalphatwo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 395 posts

There’s a pricing mistake on GW Japan’s website, which the shops are correcting on their Social Media :D

The command edition is priced at 23,500 yen. Fair enough. Last one was 20k, I think.
The elite edition is priced at 12,500 yen. Fair enough. Last one was 10k.
The recruit edition is priced at 3,250yen. Super cheap! The last one was 4k.
That’s extremely good value!

And of course a mistake. It should be 6,250 yen.
Apparently if you ordered already, Customer Services will contact you :D

Here was me about to buy two!

Damn. That’s raw. I kinda feel like their mistake... they should honor it.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,716 posts
It’s been fixed :)
I was at the store today and had a laugh about it with the staff. He said they’d have to wait for the UK to wake up before it got fixed.

MasterDeath

MasterDeath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 369 posts

This Terrain box looks good. I have Deathworld and Administratum terrain, I lack some ruins.

Firedrake Cordova

Firedrake Cordova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,378 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders

I stand corrected on the moulded pads. Apologies. Have to say I'm quite surprised as to why.

I'm assuming that the paint set is aimed at beginners, and it's easier to trace around some detail with the flat of a paint brush than it is to apply a water-slide decal correctly?  If you don't want the detailed shoulder pads, the Recruit starter set has the full sprue without the sculpted pad iconography (plus a character and some Necrons you can sell/use as target practice laugh.png)

Edited by Firedrake Cordova, 08 August 2020 - 09:42 AM.

Mandragola

Mandragola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,030 posts

These are interesting sets. I wasn't sure if they'd turn out to be an efficient way to get more models and expand armies. I think they probably aren't actually. I could potentially see myself getting an elite edition for the extra bikes but mainly it probably makes sense to just wait for full kits to come out, at least while it's so hard to actually play games with the models.

Indomitus was quite a lot better value than these sets, I think. The "interesting" sprue it contained for both factions had a load of fun stuff on it.

Edited by Mandragola, 08 August 2020 - 09:59 AM.

C+C always welcome on my Titanic Plog. Should really be painting Crimson Fists.

gallery_48988_15151_9524.pnggallery_45765_12339_6416.pnggallery_48988_16045_14557.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_6255.png

tvih

tvih

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,319 posts
  • Faction: CF/BT/Orks/SoB/IG

I'm assuming that the paint set is aimed at beginners, and it's easier to trace around some detail with the flat of a paint brush than it is to apply a water-slide decal correctly?  If you don't want the detailed shoulder pads, the Recruit starter set has the full sprue without the sculpted pad iconography (plus a character and some Necrons you can sell/use as target practice laugh.png)

These paint set ones seem like unique poses and would be nice for that, but well, bundled with paints the cost if you don't need said paints... oof.

• Firedrake Cordova likes this

Firedrake Cordova

Firedrake Cordova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,378 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders

These paint set ones seem like unique poses and would be nice for that

Good point - not something I'd considered blush.png

Edited by Firedrake Cordova, 08 August 2020 - 11:55 AM.

Jukkiz

Jukkiz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 964 posts
  • Faction: Sinners

hmm, seems partly unique poses on both, necron and SM mini paint boxes

"Every world is under Emperors might, then why i feel empty..."

15th tactical marine 6th company, Ermus. Sinners chapter

KiltedMarine

KiltedMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 687 posts
  • Faction: Hounds of Arawn
Just saw it pointed out, and now it’s going to bug me- all the assault intercessors are holding swords in their left hands. I hope we get a multi part kit if only to provide some right-handed sword and left handed pistols. Alternatively, if somebody can hit up Pop Goes the Monkey for Primaris-sized weapons in those hands it would be great.
  • Redrandy93 and klisof like this

"Guilliman is coming - LOOK BUSY!"

-The new warcry of every single non codex-compliant Chapter (Credit to Iron Hands Fanatic)

"Codex, y'say?  Aye, Lordship, it has a place of honor at the very foundation of our brotherhood!" 

::Points to tattered book holding up one corner of a mead bench::

-Llugh Swifthand, High King of the Hounds of Arawn, to Roboute Guilliman, 001M42

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users