Havoc launchers

Excessus

I've also been thinking of that. They're much more attractive, and they've lost the penalty to hit because the Heavy weapon is on a vehicle. Definitely a great buff. By comparison, it's 5pts cheaper than a Heavy Bolter but with 12" added range, same Strength, and although the number of shots is less reliable, the Blast rule means its the same number of shots on larger units - with the potential for more.

I ran it on a Rhino in a test game of 9th ed with a friend, and without the penalty to hit, managed to score a hit and then kill on his Warlord that was on 1 Wound with none of my other units able to fire on it (the Obliterators which had wounded him were killed in his turn). I'm hoping it's a sign of good things to come :biggrin.:

Virtually an auto-take now, if you're taking Rhinos at all. I kind of like the idea of two combi-bolters and a havoc launcher for ranged fun...

86 point rhino? That's too rich for my blood on a basic transport, if we had the base 65 point rhino even, it would be more palatable for me. 

Virtually an auto-take now, if you're taking Rhinos at all. I kind of like the idea of two combi-bolters and a havoc launcher for ranged fun...

86 point rhino? That's too rich for my blood on a basic transport, if we had the base 65 point rhino even, it would be more palatable for me. 

Sure, maybe "auto-take" is a bit of an exaggeration. Definitely worth if you've got a few points lying around.

Definitely an auto-take in Crusade, though ;)

If you don't put much on it, then it's still 70 some points that aren't doing much. Its often worth spending a couple more points to have it do something.

It's not about a 86p rhino, it's about adding 5p to a rhino you already have in your list. I don't think anyone is saying that the havoc launcher makes a rhino worthwhile if you have no use for it in your list.

It's not about a 86p rhino, it's about adding 5p to a rhino you already have in your list. I don't think anyone is saying that the havoc launcher makes a rhino worthwhile if you have no use for it in your list.

Its still a lot, the 75 point base rhino is actually 78 points because the initial combi bolter is not rolled into the base cost, so it is 83 points with a havoc launcher, (combi bolters are now 3pts). We were complaining 65 pts is still a lot in 8th in comparison. 

8th edition costs are not a concern though, most things are more expensive now including in our opponents lists.

The problem is our units weren’t even worth their points before, so they still aren’t now.

Also, not a single one of my lists for other factions went up more than 250-280 pts, whereas my most recently played chaos marine list went up 499 points. Four hundred and ninety nine.

On top of that, we’re a faction with crap units that rely on both CP and HQ buffs to function. We can’t fit both cp and enough HQ in lists properly anymore.

Rhinos are overpriced, but it only costs a few points more to give it some teeth. Its one of the most durable places you can put your weapons on.

I'll meet you guys half way and agree if you can actually spare the extra 10-15 points to add them to the 2-3 9th ed costed rhino's in the first place in your lists. 

8th edition costs are not a concern though, most things are more expensive now including in our opponents lists.

The problem is our units weren’t even worth their points before, so they still aren’t now.

Also, not a single one of my lists for other factions went up more than 250-280 pts, whereas my most recently played chaos marine list went up 499 points. Four hundred and ninety nine.

On top of that, we’re a faction with crap units that rely on both CP and HQ buffs to function. We can’t fit both cp and enough HQ in lists properly anymore.

Not everything went up by the same amount and the focus of the game changed a bit so it's really not that simple as you try to make it.

No idea what you took in your list but none of my CSM lists went up by even close to that amount.

Havoc launchers for five points are a steal. Whether you want to fit them onto a metal box which is likely to act as a battering ram or sit on an objective and either way have a short lifespan is up to the user I suppose. If I have the points around why not as unlikely to find anything else for five points that gives such an upside for cost. Kinda like the chainaxe to my mind now, if you have a few odd spare points they are efficient. Edited by Relic