Chaos terminator army only

Hello everyone, 

I'm new to chaos spcae marines. Thinking to start another army, still not sure if it will be dark eldar or chaos space marines. 

Always been a fan of terminators, already have a big wolfguard terminator army (55 terminators) and now thinking of an army with chaos terminators. 

Thinking about some terminators lords and terminator psychers, with a lot of terminators squads. The rest with monsters, deamonprinces etc. 

an someone give me some tips about if this is a good idea? 

Also, big fan of night lords and alpha legion :-) 

To be fair rule of 3 isn't an actual rule. It's a suggestion

Krash

That is true of course. It always depends on who you play against and where.

As someone who is just pumping out 10 more terminators myself. I would say give it a go. They are fluffy and I had good times with my plasmanators in 8th.

Yeah as above: assuming a matched play scenario you could field up to 30 + characters in armor. 

Fill the rest with tanks, engines, monsters. 

The major issue I see here is claiming objective: would advise 10x3 Cultists for troop slots for battallion, beyond that? Go Ham. I think Chaos terminators are actually some of the best in 40k due to load out variation and there is potential, for sure. 

I would add Obliterators to the list, they are functionally terminators and would help with your engagements. Though we have to bare in mind that a good number (I think half?) must be on the table top of 1. So first turn you need stuff that can handle itself during top of one. (engines, walkers, tanks). 

Though: the efficacy of the army will be heavy reliant on the legion you take. Irons might be a good choice (Dour duty, ignoring cover) but other legions might be valid as well. EC perhaps, Alphas for the -1 to be shot ATM, there may be some others I am not considering. 

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

If you are doing Terminators, I like the Creations of Bile trait for them. +1S, +1" movement puts them at normal infantry speeds and extra melee punch. You can also take Bile with his assistant to guarantee the buff you get is +1T. You can even actually make Mutilators viable with this and the strat that let's you advance and charge with bonuses. Theres a lot of nice things Bile has to offer and just the Legion trait takes care of one of the greatest shortcomings of Terminators. Edited by Doom Herald

As I havent had the ability to really deep dive into the new edition to the fullest extent, having a majority termy army with say, Abby at the lead, wouldn't be a bad thing. I had fairly good luck running Abby and a huge load out of terminators during the start of 8th. Given the rule of three (if you play with that style) using oblits/chosen or other such 'elite' units would really fit the theme I think you are going for.

You would need multiple detachments and/or to lose out on some faction traits, but the DG and TS Terminator variants are a different datasheet and count independently of other Terminators. That opens up Typhus, Lord of Contagion, Deathshroud, Blightlords, and Scarab Occult. They all have HERETIC ASTARTES faction, so you can take mix them. Edited by Doom Herald

Well, about the rule of 3, that means max 3 detachemtns, or max 3 units of terminators? 

Still not familiair with that rule. Because every terminator unit is different, other weapon options and so on. 

Can someone explain the rule of 3 to me? 

Other than that, I was thinking of 2 or 3 vanguard detachments, or 2 battelion detahcments with chaos space marines as troops. Im sorry, I always use the rule of the cool in all my armies, and cultis are not cool looking in my eyes. ( Yeah I know, I'm strange, but who is not) 

For battelion I was thinking of 2 terminator leaders (lord and soccerer), 3 chaos space marines troops, 2 or 3 x 10 terminators, and muliters and so on. Don;t know yet the points 

Rule of 3 means you can’t have more than 3 units with the same Datasheet, So 3 squads of chaos termies uses up all 3 regardless of the weapon options they have. You could still take an additional 3 units of blightlord terminators and another 3 units of scarab terminators because they are a different datasheet.

This counts for everything except troop units

Rule of 3 means you can’t have more than 3 units with the same Datasheet, So 3 squads of chaos termies uses up all 3 regardless of the weapon options they have. You could still take an additional 3 units of blightlord terminators and another 3 units of scarab terminators because they are a different datasheet.

This counts for everything except troop units

Troops and Dedicated Transports, but yeah. This is what Rule of Three is.

At 2001+, you can have 4, iirc. But from 1250-2000 you can only have 3 of the same datasheet.

I don’t think 30 terminators would be a terrible list, with the right support. However, with the cheapest options (Combi-bolter and chainaxe) you’re paying 810 points for those terminators - someone correct me if I got that wrong, 23 base +3 bolter +1 axe = 27*30 = 810.

Sorcerer buffs, Lord rerolls, etc. can help them out further. Still need troops, I’d just go with min cultists for backfield objectives. Saves you points, and it’s not like terminators are impossible to kill but they “should” be able to put up a helluva fight in the midfield.

emperors children you have a strat to increase toughness by 1. I think a cheap squad of 10, maybe with some Reaper ACs for longer range, that starts on the table might be hard to shift and could survive t1.

another convenient strat ec have would be to change on die After a charge roll was made. So a big deepstriking squad with combi plas and power axes could wreak some havoc too. Shoot twice, and then make a 9inch charge relatively safe. Add Votlw to your own taste.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

Oke, So maybe I go for 2 battelions. 

HQ terminator lord and terminator soccerer and 1 battlion 1x 10 terminators and the other 2x 10 terminators. tropp choice chaos space marines. Maybe a deamonprince (want to take the ballrog, because the both have the same base size) and the rest I fill with deamon engines and Obliterators. 

I think I got some ideas now. 

Why the two battalions? You can fit all 3 units of terminators in the elites slot of one, and still have 3 elite slots left over.

Taking another battalion costs you CP in 9th edition, not to mention the HQ and troops requirement.

I was working towards trying out a Terminator heavy army before, but now it seems better with the point adjustments. Nobody goes into this thinking it's the most competitive army idea ever - most awesome, maybe :laugh.::wink:

It depends on how many points you play and if you're after pure Termies or more of a "elite taskforce" list that could have supporting elements? Or if you're looking to further embellish maybe some line Troop squads who are luring the enemy/being rescued? :smile.: Don't forget to share pictures :thumbsup:

A well, Still thought that 2 battelions where better than 1

That’s cool frater, I was just curious why you thought that. Is your list running out of slots in one of the categories, or what?

Edited by Juggernut