Writer wish list

Assuming we have time to read other things outside of GWs worlds. What writers (that haven’t already done it) would you like to see have a go at 40k?

I currently reading alphabet squadron by Alexander Freed and couldn’t help but think I would love to see him do some 40k work.

Drew Karpyshyn who wrote the Darth Bane trilogy is another I’ve always thought could make a huge contribution to the 40k universe.

Both of these gents have written books that have been far more than pew pew and added some depth to their universes. Also they both are capable of writing some dark and dangerous stuff that would fit nicely into 40k

All time personal Wishlist would have Thomas Pynchon writing a Thousand Sons trilogy that spanned the Crusade, Heresy and Scouring.

More realistically, China Mieville would be an awesome choice. He's 50% there already, he just doesn't know it ;)

Alexander Freed's Battlefront: Twilight Company novel was pretty great, in my opinion. He managed to strike a good balance between Star Wars movie elements as we know them (Hoth, implied chat between novel character and Han), and his own spin on how the Rebel Alliance actually functions on the ground. To this day I feel that the "Battlefront" label did the book a massive disservice, as it was marketed more as a tie-in to the mediocre video game reboot, while having very little to do with it plot-wise.

So in that sense, I could see Freed doing well with 40k as far as tie-in compatibility goes.

I'd be interested in seeing what Ed McDonald would do for AoS more than 40k, though. His Raven's Mark trilogy is pretty good at establishing a weird, miserable fantasy setting. I'm not sure how well it'd translate to 40k, with its less-obvious environment focus and more straightforward weirdness, but it'd be worth a shot. I'd buy another first person narrative by that bloke, in either setting. Though frankly, I'd be more satisfied with getting another original trilogy of the Raven's Mark's caliber than have him move into tie-in fiction. Though right now I'm actually worried about him continuing to write at all, considering the massive harrassment & slander campaign he had coming his way before book 3 released...

Assuming we have time to read other things outside of GWs worlds. What writers (that haven’t already done it) would you like to see have a go at 40k?

I currently reading alphabet squadron by Alexander Freed and couldn’t help but think I would love to see him do some 40k work.

Drew Karpyshyn who wrote the Darth Bane trilogy is another I’ve always thought could make a huge contribution to the 40k universe.

Both of these gents have written books that have been far more than pew pew and added some depth to their universes. Also they both are capable of writing some dark and dangerous stuff that would fit nicely into 40k

Drew is a Black Library tier writer...in the same way Kyme or Thorpe is a Black Library tier writer. If we're fishing for Star Wars writers, someone like Zahn or Luceno would be a much better bet due to better resumes and talent.

Edited by Lucerne

Well, he was Bioware's writer for a long while, so he's actually written significant amounts of Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect games.

I know he's got at least one published novel trilogy of his own stuff - a sort of dark high fantasy setting that, if I recall correctly, bears some similarities to the Warp, bleedover magic, daemons, and Chaos. It's fair to say however it bears more similarities to Dragon Age's Fade - which itself draws heavily the whole "alternate dimension that powers magic and is full of emotionally resonant embodied concepts that can succinctly be termed 'daemons'" thing.

Edited by A Melancholic Sanguinity

What has Drew Karpyshyn written? I must have missed that.

Wrote KOTOR 1, notably the weakest story in the series.

Wrote a series of novels that often read like they were tabletop RPG or KOTOR 1 action lists.

"The Sith cast Force Storm!"

Wrote a godawful novel that retroactively committed character assassination of the Exile from the better-written KOTOR 2 game.

He's adequate at his actual niche: churning out functional scripts for sci fi RPG video games, but I hesitate to call him a good novel writer.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Drew_Karpyshyn

Sorry I meant what Black Library stuff has he written? I’ve read most of his Star Wars stuff.Lucerne said he was a black library tier writer and I think I misunderstood. Perhaps you meant he is on a tier with kyme and Thorpe. Probably because I love most of Thorpes stuff. I’ve enjoyed Drew’s work, particularly the Darth Bane trilogy. I thought it had a real 40k vibe to it.

I really hope that Adrian Tchaikovsky’s upcoming BL story isn’t something I’ve dreamt up and actually will be published soon- there are so many parts of 40k that I think he’d be such a good fit for, but his Xenos would, I’m sure, be fascinating.

Tade Thompson’s Rosewater featured psychic powers and dream sequences in a way that I actually enjoy; a total rarity for me. He’d be a good fit for the Thousand Sons or Inquistors on that basis and he can write pretty nifty action sequences too.

I’d love to see some totally unexpected writers exploring 40k; Dickensian epics in hive worlds and Steinbeck detailing the flight from a Tyranid hive fleet would be be things of beauty...

Sorry I meant what Black Library stuff has he written? I’ve read most of his Star Wars stuff.Lucerne said he was a black library tier writer and I think I misunderstood. Perhaps you meant he is on a tier with kyme and Thorpe. Probably because I love most of Thorpes stuff. I’ve enjoyed Drew’s work, particularly the Darth Bane trilogy. I thought it had a real 40k vibe to it.

Yeah I meant quality-wise he's on par with Kyme or Thorpe and have a different view of them.

I absolutely loved John G Hemry's (Aka Jack Campbell) Lost fleet series and spin offs, though his stuff is usually higher Sci than 40k i figure he could adapt and write something excellent with the Navy or Rogue traders :) 

The ultimate dream would be Pratchett ofc but that has logistical issues ;) 

Keep going but avoid diving too much into other franchises. :)

My wishlist would include Zahn, Stackpole and potentially Roux besides some who where already mentioned above.

I have not read any SFF other than BL for many years (probably missing some gems) as my non BL reading tends to be very different from contemporary crime (like Peter James) to historical fiction (like Ben Kane) so can’t imagine them in the 40k light.

My personal “wishlist” would be to make clones of the following authors to double/triple their output...

Abnett

ADB

Farrer

Fehervari

Wraight

This is based on their body of work rather than a single book. There are others like Harrison, Hill & Brooks who will likely make that list eventually but a bit soon for me to know!

I think Brian Lumley would do a great job bringing horror to AoS. His Necroscope series is one of my favourite depiction of vampires.

Seconded for Lumley. His work was a formative influence on my appreciation for all things grimdark.

Edited by Dumah

I'd love to see a 40k history book written by Anthony Beevor. His book on Stalingrad was considered essential reading by the siege authors. It would be cool to have a fictional history book set in the 40k universe even with bits censored. It'd be a good way of telling the story of a battle other than in novel format.

Yeah I've seen people want the likes of Beevor, but I honestly don't think his stuff would work well as a novel -specifically as a *novel*, mind.

I would really like to see him do something akin to a campaign background book or one of the Forgeworld black books.

I have that book on Stalingrad, still on the to read pile. It wa my Dads. Must get some space to read it soon he enjoyed it I remember.

Total lack of any consensus in this thread! Odd I thought with a group who all like BL we would share authors of s similar type and some common names would pop up. But no we are all very different!