WH40K App Updated

Raven1

Make sure to report all issues and try to be as detailed as possible with previous use events. For example, I had three crashes in a row specifically when I got to the q in inquisitor (well, while trying to type inquisitor) in the search bar on my tablet. In house QA can't catch every weird code bug.

Make sure to report all issues and try to be as detailed as possible with previous use events. For example, I had three crashes in a row specifically when I got to the q in inquisitor (well, while trying to type inquisitor) in the search bar on my tablet. In house QA can't catch every weird code bug.

Also include your device if you choose to provide feedback. I just was curious and tried that search thing you were doing, but mercifully my app did not crash.

I subbed and got charged and it still won’t let me look at datasheets, so be aware if you’re on iOS it might keep looping you back to the sub screen. When you click I’m already a subscriber you go to the sub screen and When you hit subscribe again it just indefinitely spins. No sign on. Edited by Marshal Rohr

The article definitely sounds like ‘we read the Goonhammer article and are now in damage control’. Bet the meeting on Monday morning was entertaining.

When the iOS App is debugged a little I’m keen to give the free version a crack. I do find the subscription model very anti-customer so I won’t be buying in. I don’t think that was a mistake on GW’s part though - I think it was a calculated move after being very closely analysed by the financial and marketing teams to find the point that gouged the most cash out of the marketplace. Which is odd, since I’d thought the rise of social media had somewhat quashed the anti-customer approach to business.

Is that a common UK way of communicating dates? People will expect the update on the third and few will understand it clearly (notice the small print) that it's "the week of 3rd August", so "sometime during that week".

Is that a common UK way of communicating dates? People will expect the update on the third and few will understand it clearly (notice the small print) that it's "the week of 3rd August", so "sometime during that week".

Not a UK thing, no. I’d imagine ‘the week of’ is to give them a bit of flexibility.

I thoguht I would give it a try as its free for a month.

I have not had the subscription problems on iOS that others are reporting. I don't know if there are different sequences of actions or what else could be causing that to be a problem for some people. If you are reporting problems to GW as much detail you can give about exactly how you subscribed will probably help them fix it.

Most of the comments about the UI on the Goonhammer review are fair and valid, as a QA professional this looks like they had graphic design in the UI team but no usability designer - too much emphasis on looking right and not enough on understanding the use cases and how to support them. I am going to email them with one or two suggestions but I would not be surprised if they had not created sufficiently well structured data in the first place so most good things will turn out to be difficult/slow to deliver.

On the plus side I can see that FAQ have been rolled in. Also rules published outside of an actual book are rolled into the related book - so the Harlequins stuff from White Dwarf is all there in the Codex Harelquins entries. 

Lets see how it looks in a month.

The article definitely sounds like ‘we read the Goonhammer article and are now in damage control’. Bet the meeting on Monday morning was entertaining.

When the iOS App is debugged a little I’m keen to give the free version a crack. I do find the subscription model very anti-customer so I won’t be buying in. I don’t think that was a mistake on GW’s part though - I think it was a calculated move after being very closely analysed by the financial and marketing teams to find the point that gouged the most cash out of the marketplace. Which is odd, since I’d thought the rise of social media had somewhat quashed the anti-customer approach to business.

Unfortunately Social media is simply a smoke screen and has done nothing for anti-consumer practices, it has only worked in the absolute worst cases(1 in 100000s) and then only when the whole internet has gone to bat which is something that consumers keep getting moaned at as entitled. I think we are entitled to make our voices heard when something is not what we want or need.

Different regions will have it appear in the App/Play store at different times.

Also both Google and Apple do sample checking which can delay scheduled releases, and can be different in different regions. So you can't guarantee an App will go live globally on a fixed date.

Rik

Ok, the app is hot paid trash at the moment. I subbed this morning thinking I’d give it a whirl. So I sub, login and it’s all good. I then close the app and when I tried to go back in to further explore(I’m at work at the moment) it prompted me to sub or use the free app. So I’m like golly gee, I click the restore purchases tab thinking it would correct itself. Nope. I thought maybe restarting my iPhone would perhaps help. Nope. I’ve tried over and over to get it to function. It’s not happening, period. So, I hope whatever the problem is, it’s fixed soon but I’ll stick to BattleScribe for the time being until GW and whomever they tapped to develop this atrocity figure it out.

Well given that they're offering the first month free, have promised to fix the problems, and have also listed some of the more advanced features including faqs, advanced rules and a Crusade function, I've done a 180 and subbed. I wanted to get the iOS version fort iPad Mini 2, but the app requires iOS 13 as a system requirement and my device isn't compatible with that version of iOS so I got the android version for my phone instead.

Ok, the app is hot paid trash at the moment. I subbed this morning thinking I’d give it a whirl. So I sub, login and it’s all good. I then close the app and when I tried to go back in to further explore(I’m at work at the moment) it prompted me to sub or use the free app. So I’m like golly gee, I click the restore purchases tab thinking it would correct itself. Nope. I thought maybe restarting my iPhone would perhaps help. Nope. I’ve tried over and over to get it to function. It’s not happening, period. So, I hope whatever the problem is, it’s fixed soon but I’ll stick to BattleScribe for the time being until GW and whomever they tapped to develop this atrocity figure it out.

I got a response on the Facebook page saying the loop will be fixed in 48hrs

Most of the comments about the UI on the Goonhammer review are fair and valid, as a QA professional this looks like they had graphic design in the UI team but no usability designer - too much emphasis on looking right and not enough on understanding the use cases and how to support them. I am going to email them with one or two suggestions but I would not be surprised if they had not created sufficiently well structured data in the first place so most good things will turn out to be difficult/slow to deliver.

These were my thoughts exactly, design team + dev team but no actual UX anaylsis etc, unfortunately then compunded by a seeming abscence of any real testing regime.

Im all for improving apps through community feedback, but to release something day 1 with that many issues is just BAD development (or im just bias as a web dev lol!)

Will be giving it a couple months before checking it out properly

So I'm currently watching a video on youtube where someone decompiled the app and analyzed it.

Let's just say it's worse under the surface. Everything written in plaintext, no frameworks (so they have to code the app twice for Android and iOS for example), no error catching and so on and on.

It's literally thousands of lines of codes and I'm very sure that the app was written by a trainee or student without supervision and nobody bothered to test the app afterwards (obviously).

There's also some more juicy stuff. For example the pictures get downloaded anew every single time you open the according page, so better don't use it too much without wlan. Also the database includes an unused "Dark Mechanicus" keyword. :wink:

The code for the roster is also already there, just not unlocked. Probably because it's even more buggy than the rest or something.

He also didn't find any code to unlock Codexes, soo...

The video is in german, but if someone is interested here's the link: 

Edited by Panzer

Sarah Kaiser does UI for app development per her Twitch stream on hang out and paint

I don't want to seem unkind but whoever is involved in this app is not going to have much time for hanging out and painting during the working day for a while - and probably should have had a little more focus on the job before now.