Hive Fleet Solerön

WarriorFish

Fast work and looking good! One of my greatest hopes for a new codex is making spinefists relevant. 2 pistols, 2x the shots. As with other stuff like double devs in the index it got overlooked, while the devs got fixed in the codex, spinefists did not. I'd love to have a unit of spinefist/bonesword warriors. 

Edited by Xenith

Thanks :biggrin.: My eyesight makes detail work and the like very slow (and not very good), so without any icons or trims etc I've had a taste of how quickly others can paint and I like it. Always wondered what it would feel like to be able to paint a model quickly :laugh.: Helps I've revised the scheme now and the Black Templar is really nice (already thinking about what other contrast paints might be able to do), but the main work is basic stuff in blocking in colours and washes which I can pick away at when I have time :smile.:

Of course nothing beats enjoying the army as that is the best way to get results :biggrin.: Anyway, yes I had already noted spinefists as a poor choice but as I am making do with limited bits it seemed like a decent combination with rending claws. Same points as a devourer/talons Warrior but more capable in melee, so should have some use :smile.: Spinefists could definitely do with something, perhaps S4 or matching the Strength of the model? On a Warrior they have a decent number of shots which helps.

Unfortunately I might not get any of the other options for Warriors, as I have plenty (around 20) so it seems too much to get another box just for them as much as I would like them. I suppose it would also give me a Prime (who may as well have the one barbed strangler?). Maybe make lists and have Troops filled with Warriors? :sweat:

I have plenty so I keep thinking about it, it is probably not the most competitive thing but on the other hand plenty of multiple wound models might provide a sort of survivability? Most small arms are without AP or multiple damage. I'll see how it goes I have a list with lots of Warriors and gaunts in which might be an indicator.

I should have the hug balloons done today between bits, so I'm thinking of braving some metal and looking at Biovores as a fun addition and to make more use of them. They're not expensive so I can see a good place for them in larger point games easily at the least :smile.: Plus after all these Troops I think I've earned something a bit different ;)

This army really is growing quickly, it's wonderful to see :D That you're enjoying this change of pace will help you stay focused and hopefully keep this rapid pace :tu: I'm curious to see the paint scheme for the Spore Mines, I imagine it will be tricky to transfer the scheme onto such a small surface?

I think I managed to adapt the scheme ok:

gallery_30308_16534_30875.jpg

I was thinking about doing Black Templar on the front three "bodies" but I think they work with the normal body colour :smile.: Time to find that Biovore (or two) and the metal spore mines next I think as a little treat after all these Troops, maybe with some gaunts to top numbers up. After this I'll aim for another block of gaunts, make sure I keep their numbers well stocked.

Once that's done I should have a good supply of them to branch out a bit more to other units. That said there's not a great deal of non-gaunts to do, maybe dabble in Raveners before jumping to a fex? I suppose it doesn't matter too much with no games in sight so I can do whatever takes my fancy when I get there :tongue.:

It was only one Biovore in the bag, the other model is something I'm not familiar with. I'll check it out properly later one Biovore is enough for now:

gallery_30308_16534_62994.jpg

Especially when it was already built and had gaps filled, just needed a minor bit of clean up and ready :smile.: A few more Hormagaunts to go with the spore mines and this should be a nice batch to work on. This will bring me up to 22 Hormagaunts which will do for now, next round will focus on Termagaunts (currently 8 done) and whatever else lands on my desk :thumbsup:

The Biovore should be a good test case for some of the larger models like Carnifexes but I'm not expecting to have to think about too much with the scheme now as I am sure I have it figured out having done several types of models. Maybe one of the Zoanthrope models can find its way into the next lot? We'll see :P

I have one each of the two previous metal Zoanthropes, I'm not sure if the earlier one will work that well as it is small by comparison but I'll see when I get there. In the meantime progressing well on the current batch:

gallery_30308_16534_90312.jpg

The Biovore will be interesting for the stripes as there's a high arch to do it on which is new but should work fine. I like the classic model so I was glad to see the newer one is largely the same should I ever decide I need a second. I enjoy the spore mines too, I even looked at the spore mines in store but I don't think I'll need 20 of them... right? :laugh.:

I don't see myself working on anything but my nids for the foreseeable future, which is unlucky for my other armies but you can't argue when you're keeping so productive :tongue.: I think I might be able to get these finished this week even, I am settling on what I might assemble next... watch this space :biggrin.:

Hormagaunts are finished aside from the bases as with the above Warriors - with models I have enough of already I want to spice the bases up with the rock bits when I sort them:

gallery_30308_16534_22954.jpg

With the others there's no need to worry about adding base diversity, so they're all done featuring a trail in the snow for one mine :tongue.:

gallery_30308_16534_44110.jpg

A nice model to paint, and the first with a larger surface area on the carapace to spread the stripes out which I think came out nicely - ready for the proper large models now. Or at least the scheme is, still need to piggle away at the grey Troop mountain some more first right?

As I don't want a pile of models building up awaiting their bases I'm going to do a bit less until they're sorted. A smaller batch or two of Termagaunts will be a nice way to make some progress and I need to not forget my other projects too. This can give me a bit more time for things like assembling metal models as well :smile.:

I think the scheme has really worked out. I wish I could take credit for that but it has mostly been a mix of things I wanted to do that somehow worked out well together :laugh.: The important thing is it works and is nice to paint :tongue.: I need to settle on an eye colour soon as that's needed on every model (except spore mines) so the task is getting worse as I finish models... I'm still thinking about the gloss black like I do on my Daemonettes.

There's still time to figure that out, though I finally have a deadline! Should get a game in end of October so I am naturally looking to take my nids :biggrin.: I've made an initial list to aim for which I'm mostly ready to field, so this will dictate what I paint next :smile.: I'll focus on the exact models for the list to make sure I have everything ready, I may need the extra time handling the metals :thumbsup:

I'll need to decide soon before the list of models needing painting gets too long... nothing else has jumped out at me so maybe I should just go with the black :sweat:

With a list to aim for it's also time for the big boys, but before I can get to anything I need to build them. As the metal Hive Tyrant doesn't come with monstrous talons I'm looking at the old pair I have plenty of:

gallery_30308_16534_46679.jpg

I assume they're for the old Carnifex, but I'm not sure on sizing. The upper Carnifex ones may be too large for the slimmer Tyrant, and I'll need them for the fex, so should I be looking at the secondary fex talons? I'll have them spare as this will be a bio-weapon slot for my Carnifex, does anyone know what scale talons I should be looking at? :wacko.:

Since I had the fex sprues out it was inevitable I started work here too:

gallery_30308_16534_22301.jpg

I'm wondering if the hip joint is worth magnetising to aid with transporting the model? It'd probably need to be a decent sized magnet to account for the model being top heavy but it'd be an easy enough job. I don't think I'll both with arms as they'll likely stay as my big stabby and big shooty units, but I did consider the carapace and head as other easy magnetisations.

That said, it feels like a waste as I don't think anyone really bothers with representing the choices? There are so many variations but not all of the bits look that great to me. Should I just carry on with picking bits I like here? Especially as I'll be busy enough GSing the models and magnetising the HT's gun choices (as can see this changing, plus it's the big guy so he's special). All input appreciated as always :smile.:

I don't see magnetising the 'fex being worthwhile. With it's limbs waving all over the place I don't think you'll gain much (transport space-wise) by being able to separate the model at the waist?

The talons look fine on the Hive Tyrant to me. Maybe get the torso on the legs to get a proper feel for them before you commit though :tu:

Yes, I'm thinking that the easy split means easier painting but I'll glue it together when done. I think I'll stick to the Tyrant for magnetising, and as I'll be snipping out all of the fex bits anyway I will try the lower set of talons on him to see how it look :smile.:

This means I can make some progress on building the fex, the Tyrant will require more work but I plan to patch them both up with some GS on the joins etc at some point. I've also assembled a couple of Termagaunts from the Macragge sprues to top them up for the list - not the best sculpts so I'll stick to the main box sets in the future, not like I'm short of them :tongue.:

Unfortunately I'm out of the size of magnet I need to magnetise the Tyrant's arms, I knew I needed to restock but this is the motivation I need to get round to it :tongue.: I will have a look over the weekend, in the meantime that means pressing ahead with the Carnifex. I filled the gaps on the stacks with some GS:

gallery_30308_16534_10326.jpg

Not the best work especially getting between them but it should be fine - doesn't need to be perfect as a natural thing. Still not sure why the centre piece didn't quite align right, but perhaps a feature or the age of the kit?

gallery_30308_16534_47949.jpg

All done now and ready for priming along with the two Termagaunts so I can keep making progress at least. Might be interesting gluing all the arms on once it's done, the talons and heavy venom cannon are rather large...

Without the arms on you can really see how bad the fex's posture is :sweat: I wonder how large they'd look standing straight? Mind you then they couldn't see where they were going :teehee: 

Shame about running out of magnets, hopefully you can get some new ones soon to continue your excellent work :tu: The fex will keep you occupied for now!

I'm presuming that being designed for this they don't get back problems :tongue.: It might work out better doing one at a time so I can concentrate on them more, but I've been looking forward to a fex for a while so this will be a nice model to work on for the first large model of the fleet :smile.:

Largest until I eventually get round to the newer kits that is. For that I'm looking at one of the boxes that has some stealers, a broodlord and trygon in. Two of the models I don't have, and the stealers will ensure I should have plenty of them for any lists :thumbsup: All things in time though as I have more to finish before I add more.

It turns out that Corex White is not an accurate replacement for Ceramite White :sad.: More like Corax Grey-White, I might be able to scrounge enough white to finish these but the paint is on its last legs. I will need to get a "proper" white to continue with Corax though this will add a step to the scheme unfortunately. Does anyone know if there's an equivalent base/foundation white paint around? That would be the best solution!

gallery_30308_16534_35008.jpg

There is some good news in that my perusals online have secured some more Biovores. The current model is very similar but I have some fondness for this version and would like to keep them consistent, but found that second hand ones weren't much cheaper than the new one overall (if at all) :ermm: Fortunately I came across something:

gallery_30308_16534_23147.jpg

Two Biovores and five mines for a good price, an extra bonus in including two mine sculpts I didn't know existed; hereby dubbed "proud warbling" and "drifting backwards jellyfish". This gives me a solid artillery core, I'm sure they'll do good work for me too :smile.:

It turns out that Corex White is not an accurate replacement for Ceramite White :sad.: More like Corax Grey-White, 

Yes, the new paints Corax white and Corvus black are off-white and off-black respectively - corax is a kind of base paint ulthuan grey. As long as you dont have it near actual white-white, then it shouldn't be noticeable, while be able to shade it and highlight it with white scar. 

I'm pretty much switching to these for my blacks and whites. 

Good find on he biovores, they seemed useful in 8th, should be good in 9th also for disrupting enemy movement. 

Edited by Xenith

Thanks, I did notice the similarity to Ulthuan Grey. While this will help with another project not where I'm using it as a white :P I will end up layering White Scar on top I expect, the main issue is I currently don't have one :lol:

I will leave the Biovores for now, one is more than enough when I don't have a core yet. Plus I need to finish existing bases and the like but I was not short of nid models so same old really :sweat:

I think I can manage the two gaunts from the remains of the Ceramite White, but no more. At least I can avoid stalling for now I will aim to make a resupply order soon. I've got as far as the main wash:

gallery_30308_16534_68707.jpg

I wasn't sure about the equal split method of the stripes until I got to the Charadon Granite, rounded it off nicely :smile.: I'm wondering if I should leave the head unglued so I can swap, but part of me feels like it's extra hassle for not much gain as people generally don't pay it any heed? Would be nice to paint up other heads to match upgrades though.

I need to decide what to do with the piping bits on the carapace, I thought about giving them a red wash but it might not look right by comparison so maybe I should repaint them Rakarth Flesh to match the body piping?

I hope to have it finished this weekend though I might not get time for everything. I plan to try some melted snow so fingers crossed that works... :tongue.: Fex is a really nice kit considering the age so it's an enjoyable one to work on, with the tail and arms it is rather large too but that helps it be a focal point of the army :smile.: Will be looking at the metals soon I expect.