Hive Fleet Solerön

WarriorFish

I have plans for some random single model projects after I reach this goal, as a sort of enforced pause and relaxation on the hobby fires but this may well include a nid model :tongue.: Will see when I get there...

Any ideas what models? I've been doing the same - I get a decent amount of gift warhammer, including single models, and am trying to paint that up in between army projects. 

Swapping projects before burn out is a very good idea. I spent most of the lockdown painting fantasy Necrons and now I'm really loving painting IW instead! Changing things up to keep it fresh is important :tu:

Keeping going with your 'nids sounds good to me, I've been enjoying your progress and seeing what models you've been churning out. It will be great to see you continue with your gribblies both big and small :)

Need to remember to do the snow out of the sun, but a bit of white corrected that. I'm now ready for the next lot of nids:

gallery_30308_16534_32924.jpg

Glad to get the Hive Tyrant done too, I've named him "Boogie" after I was playing around when assembling:

Hidden Content
gallery_30308_16534_25006.jpg

Which naturally (and appropriately?) evolved into him being the "Jive Tyrant" :tongue.:

gallery_30308_16534_31933.jpg

gallery_30308_16534_8912.jpg

gallery_30308_16534_59288.jpg

gallery_30308_16534_3903.jpg

Plus of course the magnetising shot, though I'm doubtful I'll ever use a pure gun build:

gallery_30308_16534_67703.jpg

Took a while to get here especially being a metal model but it was worth it :smile.: I'm going to break the remaining goal models into type so next up are the Genestealers, let's see how much progress I can make this weekend as I have some time set aside :thumbsup:

I love him! You did a great job on him, I really like how he turned out- the patterns on the carapace look really striking on him. Gotta say as well, for all the agony that model caused me as a kid, I absolutely adore the old metal Hive Tyrant; the plastic one might fit together better and have more parts and so on, but there's something so satisfying about the old pewter monster. Even if he could be used as a weapon if combined with a sock...

Thanks guys, it felt like an accomplishment of sorts as as much as it makes me nervous every time I move the model having some heft to it certainly helps it stand out some more :P The milliput filler turned out nicely, hits that nice spot where you probably wouldn't realise it was there :) I also think the extra variation on the carapace lines worked so I'll be mixing it up on future larger models too.

The stealers are progressing, those all those arms and fingers weren't fun! I'm sure I've missed some lines in the cleaning somewhere...

gallery_30308_16534_69789.jpg

Model wise I'm sticking to the claws, in part as six of these are the old Battle for Macragge models with no options but also because I much prefer the look. These are Genestealers to me :) Plus as a free option that takes nothing away I consider Scything Talons for stealers to be akin to grenades or bolt pistols - if everyone has them and they cost nothing who's going to mind? I did give them two Acid Maw heads though, got to do that right ;)

I have a couple of weeks to finish the list, should be possible. I hope to get the base colours done this weekend so I can finish them off in the week, and the same again for the Hormagaunts. The eyes and bases for other models should be able to squeeze in between...

The Hive Tyrant looks grand! The striped scheme really works well on a larger model and the black on the large talons really stands out :tu: I see you're already making speedy progress on the 'stealers, it will be great to see some new models in your scheme so I'm looking forward to seeing them done :D

Had a productive weekend picking away at colours, the bulk of the models are there now:

gallery_30308_16534_11716.jpg

While there is a reasonable number of steps left aside from the basing they're not that much work so I can get these done when I can in the week :smile.: This should put me in good stead to meet the list's deadline :thumbsup:

There are a couple of things I need to decide on first. I add some Nuln Oil to carapace recesses to help give them some extra definition but that's not possible here. I thought about lining the ridges on the carapace but they were enough hassle to paint and it might be a bit too much. There's not much carapace and it is different so maybe it'd be better to add nothing, let them look a little bit different?

The other is the acid maw parts - not sure what colour to do them. A green feels a bit obvious but might not fit, maybe a deep red?

Had a productive weekend picking away at colours, the bulk of the models are there now:

gallery_30308_16534_11716.jpg

While there is a reasonable number of steps left aside from the basing they're not that much work so I can get these done when I can in the week :smile.: This should put me in good stead to meet the list's deadline :thumbsup:

There are a couple of things I need to decide on first. I add some Nuln Oil to carapace recesses to help give them some extra definition but that's not possible here. I thought about lining the ridges on the carapace but they were enough hassle to paint and it might be a bit too much. There's not much carapace and it is different so maybe it'd be better to add nothing, let them look a little bit different?

The other is the acid maw parts - not sure what colour to do them. A green feels a bit obvious but might not fit, maybe a deep red?

How about magenta or some other loud pink colour? It would complement the existing scheme well IMO, and also be an interesting change from the usual green. Failing that, maybe gloss black?

I decided to give them a wash for now, I will return to them when I'm ready for the game. I reckon I'll go with a pink or magenta, so in the meantime they're done :smile.:

gallery_30308_16534_28757.jpg

Excluding the bases, I will do all the bases together to be a bit more time efficient. Though that will be 31 bases, five of which are 40mm Warriors... 32 if I do the Spore Mine :laugh.: I'll regret the decision when I'm doing them I'm sure but needs must I'd rather finish earlier than rush (or worse).

Was a bigger change to working on other nids than I had expected overall, I'll be glad not to be painting so many claws next. Believe it or not I'm looking forward to doing some gaunts :tongue.:

With the next load of plastic ready I am closer to the basing marathon:

gallery_30308_16534_95228.jpg

If I can get them primed tonight quick then I'm set to be ahead of schedule, so I should be able to meet the goal with steady progress :biggrin.: I was right these were much nicer to do after the stealers - fewer limbs sticking out everywhere :tongue.:

Aha WarriorFish I found the thread at last! (Hiding it in plain sight over here in the Tyranids section I see!) XD

What awesome work buddy! I am thoroughly looking forward to seeing these in the flesh and facing off against them. I've always had a soft spot for Tyranids and your paint schemes rocking!

BCC

The gaunts are ready for basing:

gallery_30308_16534_77903.jpg

I've also done the eye painting on the other models so that's one less thing to worry about. I should be able to do the basing spread out across the week in good order. Looking forward to getting the list done, I think I've timed it just right as I noticed that the shine was starting to wear off doing these gaunts so it'll make for a good stopping point for my nids :smile.: Then after my one off models I've got in mind are all done I'll be ready to add nid units to my standard queue :thumbsup:

Since I was getting close I thought might as well steal the time to add the slate bits:

gallery_30308_16534_61056.jpg

Which then in a great example of the slippery slope in action I followed up with the mud texture paint:

gallery_30308_16534_70484.jpg

Turns out this takes a while :sweat: Is it done now so I will have an easy completion for the rest of the basing in the week so I'm sure it was worth it, looking forward to getting the army together for their first group shot :D

Thanks, seems like I started a lot longer than a few months ago :tongue.: It's a lot of models to fit in a picture for a 1,000pts list but hopefully this does them enough justice:

gallery_30308_16534_77980.jpg

List doesn't include the Spore Mines (aside from the seven that could be placed during the game in a highly unlikely series of events?) but since they're done they can feature as well for a full shot of all my finished nids :smile.: I think I'm still getting used to them; I can see them in a huge block that none of my other armies can do but it doesn't seem to register that I did that :tongue.:

Maybe that's because I'd usually have got smaller games in already, we'll see once I get them on the table :smile.: I'm not expecting much success as I'll be new to 9th as well, but I can't wait to get gaming with them :biggrin.: Got that "new model syndrome" to get out the way for all of them after all, makes sense to do it at the same time :laugh.:

I have some DE Warriors to finish next and then I'm on to single models for a little bit, from across my bits and armies. One of these will at some point be a Broodlord :thumbsup:

A truly wonderful army shot! :thumbsup: You should feel very proud as it's an fantastic scheme and you got them done so quick as well. Win or lose they're going to look epic on the table for the first time :biggrin.: I look forward to the battle report.

Yes a change will be good, give yourself a break from hordes of gribblies then you can come back to your 'nids fresh :yes: