Hive Fleet Solerön

WarriorFish

He looks great! The base really came out well and yeah, I wasn't sure about the base change but it does work. The area in front of the 'fex was off-limits due to talons and weapons anyway so it does make sense to enlarge the base there. It enabled you to make a nice 3D base too so all's well that ends well :tu:

How many points is your 'nid army at now?

Thanks :biggrin.: I've not been tracking points or making lists to be sure, but I should be around the 1250 points mark currently? I'm focusing on completing units I have to get a solid core to build upon, I think I'm doing well here.

I have plenty of Troop choices so I'm mostly embellishing there. Some more Termagaunts would be good (probably bring to 30 mark to match Hormagaunts?) as well as the Warriors. The latter is less a requirement and more what I want of course. I love the models and having lots of load out options will be good - plus I may as well use them as I have them :tongue.: Also I want to try a Warrior list one day.

Other than that there's not a great deal to work on that's needed. The third fex of course to fill a different role, plus the Biovores. After that it'll just be the odd single model here and there - when I get to that stage I'll be able to expand to newer models. Which is to say the bigger models :biggrin.:

That said, I can't wait to get the "new" Zoanthropes as I really like them so I'll probably reward myself with a box of them before getting anything bigger :smile.: With the latest rumours saying no more releases for my armies this year this fits in nicely with my current plans. My Tyranids will be one of my main focuses for this year :thumbsup:

I reckon that a couple of Primes with six full squads of Warriors should be a decent core. More resistant to small arms, and a "waste" for the heavier AT guns though practically you're likely to have some larger models on the table to support them. Though I wonder if such a list could instead be of mid-sized models? Zoanthropes, Biovores, etc? Maybe it might actually be better than I thought...

If nothing else it'd look great which surely counts for something :P

My Tyranids will be one of my main focuses for this year :thumbsup:

Hopefully the next 365 days and not the calendar year :wink:

I reckon that a couple of Primes with six full squads of Warriors should be a decent core. More resistant to small arms, and a "waste" for the heavier AT guns though practically you're likely to have some larger models on the table to support them. 

I'd go 2x larger squads if that's the goal, then get enhanced resistance on both of them. More units than that makes opponent target priority pretty easy, unless they're just small 3 man units babysitting something. Just be careful of your local meta - at 6+ man units, BLAST kicks in and suddenly things like plasma inceptors get full shots - though you can trigger the -1D strat in that case. 

They're sharing the focus with my Sons, so given the gulf of time and effort required between them I'm sure I'll be getting more nids done :tongue.: I'm still aiming for my mission to "complete" my inherited collection. By that I mean meet my realistic needs from them, as there are probably more gaunts then I could ever reasonably use. I do have a fair number of Warriors though, so along with the Warrior plan I expect to use all of them.

When I can get my first bigger model my mission will be complete, as that's the reward for doing it :tongue.: The Zoanthropes are an exception because I like them so much, and do need a bit more variety for games... at least that's my excuse :tongue.: Maybe I should describe them as a "partial reward" as it looks better? :laugh.: I will see how far I can get this year, with a bit of luck maybe I can even get the bulk of this achieved before 2022?

As for the Warriors I'm not too fussed about specifics as I should have lots of them on the table so it largely wouldn't matter too much? Without many games of late I don't think I have much of a meta any more, but given everyone mostly just shrugged and carried on as before after the introduction of Blast I expect that to continue. As I thought at the time it's not that much of a change, and for a game that currently rewards MSU more I don't think there's much incentive for people to focusing on Blast weapons that much.

Yea, agree, actually. I think the only really scary unit with blast is those inceptors, which you don't have to worry about most games - even if they do wipe a unit of warriors, your opponent has commited 300 - 400+ points to killing a ~250pt unit, then left them within hive guard or exocrine range. 

Get the zoans - even a unit of 3 is decent. They'll die in a game where the opponent focusses them, unlike a unit of 6, but if left to their own devices they're awesome bodyguards and can chuck out a few mortals. 150pts is essentially getting you a 9W Neurothrope. The big head crests will also look ace with your scheme. 

What are you thinking of as the first 'big' model?

I'm a big fan of the tyrannofex, despite being dubious in games. It's so big, and relative cheap, £wise. I think an Exocrine is maybe the most effective, but the most boring, while the others sit between. 

The Hive Tyrant has been the MVP in my last few games also. The quadfecta of above average movement, shooting, psychic and combat

That's the other unit I need to get: Hive Guard. They're good and I like the models, but I like Zoanthropes more :P Maybe I should instead have them both as a goal/point before something larger?

I like the Tyrannofex (and Tervigon), though I need to brush up on their rules it's not that important this far off. Exocrine would also be cool, and I like the Trygon but I've generally not thought about what to get further than general musings. They all still feel very new to me :sweat: Maybe I should see what people think when the time comes and go with that and who knows maybe we might even have a new codex to mix things up by then?

Now I have replenished my hobby supplies I can get moving again. It'd be good to get to work on the third fex in advance but I'm still stumped on how to build it :confused: A combat build would be cool but really needs friends, and I still need to shore up my heavier shooting ideally so I'm leaning towards the Stranglethorn.

Hive Guard and Zoanthropes are absolute lynchpins in the Tyranid army as I see it, perhaps the HG more of the two. They're maybe the best unit in the codex. 

In a 'soft' list meta, 3 HG and 3 zoans will do great. 6 HG is bordering on unfair, when each is essentially carrying a low ROF Battle Cannon that doesnt need LoS. 

The Tyrant has been great, but it's a target and needs a terrain saturated board to do well. Wings give more movement, but foot allows it to hide better. It's just maybe one of my favourite units in the faction, if not the whole game, which is why I want to use one. 

The Tyrant has done well for me, as you say he can do a decent job at all roles which means you can drop him in wherever he's needed to help. Being on foot is slow as you need to make use of cover but practically speaking the movement of wings will be more to get to where support is needed most rather than surging ahead so both have their place. I'll get the plastic kit for a winged version when I've fleshed out my collection a bit more :)

I totally agree with everything Xenith has said! (Apart from 6 Hive Guard being unfair!!!)

With an old book you have to play to your strengths.

For the big beasts I always go with a Exorcrine, Tyrannofex and a Trygon Prime.

As you can tell by that list I’m not competitive at all!

The Exocrine is great especially with the stratagem that allows it to count as stationary!

The Tyrannofex I run with the Rupture Cannon. I keep meaning to try the acid spray so will probably do that next game.

The Trygon Prime is a funny one, I use it with the Arachnicyte gland and Murderous Size Adaptive Physiology, it hits like a tonne of bricks but is very unreliable. Still a fun choice but don’t expect too much from it.

I think all the above will look good in your scheme! Which for me is the main thing.

Rules change after all (and in some cases we're actively hoping for it :tongue.: ), that's why you can't go wrong picking what you like as you'll always like them :) It's all about balance I think, if you have a spread of profiles then it helps your army overall. As a simplistic example if your opponent is worried about your big critters, the medium sized ones have more room.

Like how when fighting against a Trygon that pops up I'd take it out fairly quickly - but that would be a lot of fire power, units would move out of position etc. That meant my opponent could have some reliable way of giving the rest of his army breathing room. With me on the nid side now I understand both sides of the puzzle well :tongue.:

I totally agree with everything Xenith has said! (Apart from 6 Hive Guard being unfair!!!)

:biggrin.: Haha, yea, in a competitive game, anything goes - my meta's still getting to grips with the rules, so I don't play hardball. I did take 6 in my rematch against that Slaanesh Summoning Spam army, and they wiped the foor with everything. If you do take 6 vs a newer opponent/ friendly game, leave them somewhere they can be seen and shot, etc, to give them a chance. 6 hive guard behind a wall is apparently more powerful, and just as untouchable as an Orbital Strike. 

Assembled the third Carnifex ready for next month's Bug's life vow:

gallery_30308_16534_22315.jpg

It's not ready for priming yet, I will tidy up the milliput tomorrow (not the base stuff :tongue.: ). I've also adjusted the post slightly so it is standing a bit more upright, not a huge change but along with the slightly raised platform (which also gives room for the tail to be lower) this should make it look a bit more different as well as give a bit more room for arm poses :thumbsup: The tusks are for variety too, but maybe I'll use them from time to time?

Xenith, yeah they are brutal! I’ll take that advice in friendly games! It’s about having fun at the end of the day!

Good modelling WarriorFish! Looking forward to seeing the new taller Fex painted.

I think I’m going to vow a Carnifex next month. I have a lot of catching up to do on my Krieg.

I've not been idle since sorting the fex ready for priming, with my replenished supplies I could apply some varnish to protect the models (mostly flailing limbs and tails) but also try an experiment with a different snow:

gallery_30308_16534_35019.jpg

Valhallan Blizzard makes for a smoother and nicer snow, but it's not cheap. You can see where I've missed a spot next to the ork's skull for a comparison. I thought I could use the cheaper stuff to base the snow and save on the Blizzard using it as a finisher but I'm not sure that it makes much of a difference? :confused: I would like to get the snow a bit nicer, and sooner is better than later so I don't have to spruce up too many bases :laugh.:

edit: small follow up since I had the models out (new ones got their varnish coat today) I thought a comparison shot would be good:

gallery_30308_16534_5383.jpg

The extra height makes a notable difference paired with the larger footprint. The original fex will be getting a height boost to match when I can source a base :tu:

Edited by WarriorFish

Yes the new 'fexes look great - a lot more imposing being a bit higher and on a larger base :yes: The new 'fex base should look great with all those gubbins on!

As for the snow I don't think anyone is going to look too closely to see the improvement via the Valhallan Blizzard texture. So perhaps it's not worth the extra cost and effort. :ermm: I know I'm leaving my IW snow as is - I don't think anyone is going to notice if I went back and improved it somewhat.

• 2 weeks later...

I've primed the fex ready to start:

gallery_30308_16534_52220.jpg

Fortunately my paint scheme is straight forward so I should be able to make progress even if it's one step at a time :thumbsup: I've been thinking about the snow, I'll see what alternatives may be out there for now I'll reserve the better stuff for the larger bases where along with the larger model it'll be more noticeable :smile.:

I've been picking away on the fex and it's starting to come together:

gallery_30308_16534_368.jpeg

I have a busy weekend but should be able to finish it off next week, definitely before the end of the month :tu: I enjoy working on my nids especially as I've refined the scheme to be as efficient as possible, the plan post-Bug's Life is to continue with the odd unit as a refresher project in between others :)

Thanks, I'm liking the tusks more than I thought - I only included them for variety but they look good in the black :) As for fexes I think three is plenty, at the least for now. When I expand my collection with some of the larger critters I may review additional fexes but it feels unlikely short of final top ups for the army when it's all but done?

The Carnifex is finished :smile.: It was a bit of effort adjusting the pose but it all paid off:

gallery_30308_16534_4019.jpg

Being more upright gives more space underneath for the arms so there's greater scope with the positioning, I think I managed to get a good pose that by accident works all the better with the tusks (which I really like, so chances are will feature again should I ever get another fex). I also tried just using the Valhallan Blizzard texture paint and while it looks good, it doesn't quite cover as well so I'll stick to the double layer approach in the future.

gallery_30308_16534_42077.jpg

Base still works great though, especially with some bits of slate. Being almost twice the size of the original base does make the first look a little small but this as much the raised base too. I'll sort a new base when I can source one, for now it still works for games :smile.:

I did have a brief look for the next model planned but no luck, I'll have a better look next opportunity :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Sourced my final Bug's Life vow, second time lucky :tongue.: This is my only Zoanthrope so as he'll stand out from the future plastic additions it makes sense to have him as a Neurothrope. I'll only want one, and conveniently leaves the full box of three for Zoanthropes :smile.:

gallery_30308_16534_36424.jpg

That said I really do like the models and have heard decent things about a larger squad so I could see myself getting a second box eventually. We will need to see :tongue.: Though looking through my stash of nids I've done rather well painting them up, so ignoring the gaunts of which I have plenty more and can pick away at as I please I am mostly there for what I may need? Maybe I'm closer than I think to an earned addition.

This includes a few more metals though and they always take extra time. There's enough filing and filling needed on this model and it has only a few basic parts :sweat: Perhaps only closer in model number terms then? :laugh.:

There's an extra reason why this model works so well as a thrope of standing, for he is a spirit reborn from 4th Edition. Long ago I helped my nid collecting friend assemble one of his Zoanthropes, and I dubbed him "M'neh". M'neh went on to have a long and glorious history, in particular being a survivor with that 3++ save. Here's hoping the Hive Mind giving M'neh new life results in equal success :tongue.: