Desert Excavation & Airborne Reaction Force representation

Hey guys!  I've been away from 40k since I was young, way back in second edition.  I've played other game systems, but have always kept one eye on Games Workshop stuff.  The narrative feel 9th edition is bringing really interests me.  So i've decided to jump in.  I am however stuck on choosing how to represent my idea's on the battlefield.

If you have played the Homeworld PC games, you should see where i'm coming from with this.  My faction is stranded on a Desert planet, their expedition ship crashing to the surface generations ago.  It was soon discovered they weren't the first.  Shipwrecks litter the planet, buried in the sand.  Survival relies upon salvaging as much as possible from these wrecks, old and new.  And so, the Shipbreaker Teams are sent out into the desert with their excavation equipment and vehicles.  But it is never that easy.  The open desert is a dangerous place, and the nature of their task can awaken things best left buried.

A fast reaction airborne force was formed, to cover different Shipbreaker Teams over vast distances.  The Harriers, as they are known are constantly scouting and surveying the desert from their mobile base of operation, a vast Desert Carrier.  The speed of their aircraft is key to survival for all in the desert.

Models...  I really like pretty much all of the Necromunda models.  For the Shipbreakers, my thinking is Orlock Gangers with extra sawblades, mining lasers and explosives.  Ambots will represent their mining bots.  Vehicles I would like to be more Industrial than military, not to say they won't have any defenses.  I also really like the Sentinel models and want to use some as scouts whilst the Shipbreakers excavate a wreck.   The Harriers I have chosen and already started on by using Van Saar Gang models with added grav-chites as troops, and i have 2 Valkyries and a Vulture ready to build.

And now the hard part, at least for me.  This is where I need your guys help!  If i understand army creation properly (I have read ALOT about it, but sometimes a new system messes with your brain) I have a few options to represent these 2 subfaction on the battlefield in 40k....

1. Genestealer Cults + Astra Militarum.

Shipbreakers are most obviously represented by Genestealer Cults infantry, vehicles and weapons.  It seems they are miner's themselves, plus they have some cool scout models in the form of bikes and buggies which look cool.  The mining bots (Bullgryns) and sentinels can come in from the AM detachment.

The Harriers... Scions is the quick pick I think?  But in a Brood Brothers detachment, which means they loose all the rules.  I know they keep Orders, but what about stratagems?  The other option is to represent them with Death Korps of Krieg Engineers and Storm Grenadiers in a mixed AM detachment with the Sentinels and "Bullgryns" and basically any other Astra Militarum keyword things I want, as I think that keyword is the only restriction in forming a Brood Brothers Detachment.  They don't have deepstrike, but they have valkyrie transports anyway.

2. Astra Militarum Detachment (Wilderness Survivors & Jury-rigged Repairs) + Scions Detachment

Shipbreakers equipment would be harder to represent here I think...  things like circular saws, explosives and other mining equipment.  But the Harriers get all the scion regiment rules and relics and stuff right?  So they will be cooler to play with.

3. Other combinations i'm not thinking of.

Maybe there is some combination of Imperial armies I am missing.  Maybe Death Korps of Krieg can fit the role of the Shipbreakers and the Harriers?  I don't know.

So my question is:  What is the best way to represent the Shipbreakers and the Harriers on the battlefields of 40k?  I hope you can help, and thankyou for reading!

Edited by Vesqar

Thanks for reply.  Maybe I didnt word it properly.  I was thinking more in terms of rules and army selection.  If i choose option 1, scions loose all their doctrines and relics etc.  Is it worth it?  But with option 2, I cant represent the Shipbreakers gear as much as i'd like.  I dunno.

Hi,

Have you looked at Anvil Industries and Victoria Miniatures? I think both have lines that go really well with your army theme.

EDIT: nevermind, just seen your reply to a similar post.

Edited by Lovecraft0110

I really like the idea for your project, and would love to see the end result (I too love the Homeworld games). :)  I take it you're going to work Karak Stone into the colour scheme? :P (sorry, bad joke)

As to the question at hand, I fear the PC&A may be the wrong sub-forum for best results. :(  You might be better off dropping a post in the Genestealer Cultists and Astra Militarum sub-forums..?