Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bubble Helmet Marines

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

++ SECTURATOR BIPENNIFER ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,795 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
It looks kind of silly,but not in a bad way. I wonder if these are the same bubble helmets I saw used on an entire Genestealer Cult army. The combo of the bubble (which was clear) and the GSC miners uniform made them look very cool. Like scified up versions of modern astronauts. I will look for picts of that .. found it!
https://spikeybits.c...-on-parade.html

A local did a really cool version of primaris marines with clear bubble helmets and skeleton heads. They looked creapy as heck but I liked them too. Also looking for picts... Found it!

https://www.instagra...d=1pmv5etzfywr4

Edited by Canadian_F_H, 04 August 2020 - 03:13 PM.

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 40 posts

Amazingly original concept for your marines. I especially like the menacing quality that the opaque black helmet bubbles gives them. The conversions look pretty seamless. I especially like what you did with the aggressors using the terminator arms. Like you, I have always thought those gauntlets look silly. 

My Raptors Adeptus Astartes:

http://www.bolterand...tors-v-company/

McGibs

McGibs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 137 posts

It looks kind of silly,but not in a bad way. I wonder if these are the same bubble helmets I saw used on an entire Genestealer Cult army. The combo of the bubble (which was clear) and the GSC miners uniform made them look very cool. Like scified up versions of modern astronauts. I will look for picts of that .. found it!
https://spikeybits.c...-on-parade.html

A local did a really cool version of primaris marines with clear bubble helmets and skeleton heads. They looked creapy as heck but I liked them too. Also looking for picts... Found it!

https://www.instagra...d=1pmv5etzfywr4

Yeah, those are definitely the same Bombshell helmets. I've seen that awesome GSC army before, as well as a few other marines.

Years ago, I started up a necromunda team with the same idea (this was before the relaunch of necro), but I only ever finished a couple models.

nostromians_juve01.jpg

For the Marines, I didnt want to paint a zillion heads just to have them be distorted under the clear plastic glass. The clear helmets are cool, but you can clearly sense the thickness of the plastic and it does hurt the scale of the model a little. Makes them appear more like tiny toys.

In my quest to find some other solutions, I tried using marbles and various types of silver/gloss, but I could never get it glassy enough.

The marbles, while fun, do tip it firmly into the realm of goofy scifi.

admech_trooper01.jpg

Edited by McGibs, 05 August 2020 - 02:48 PM.

• mithrilforge likes this

website_header.jpg

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

++ SECTURATOR BIPENNIFER ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,795 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Haha. Yeah. That marble one looks hilarious. The opaque bubbles you went with work well.

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,939 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech

wow... that ad mech guy took me straight back to a 1950's sci-fi movie biggrin.png , The yellow GSC guy looks pretty good, clear helms could work also...

Cheers, Mithril 

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Verbal Underbelly

Verbal Underbelly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 262 posts
I want to see a dreadnought for these guys please.

McGibs

McGibs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 137 posts

Ask and ye shall receive.

retromarines_dreadcommander01.jpg

admech_dread_wip01.jpg

I've got two other bendo-arm ven dreads, but they're not as finished as this guy. He was originally a Chaplain Dread, hence the command-green colourscheme, but for 9th he'll just have to be demoted to a regular dread. Maybe a contemptor if I'm feeling sassy.

Bonus Redemptor fatty
retromarines_redemptor_wip01.jpg

• Sandalphon, Bjorn Firewalker, Reinhard and 2 others like this

website_header.jpg

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,007 posts
  • Faction: Warriors of Mayhem/Iron Hands

This is a really cool idea and well executed too, I'm a fan of the Tartaros arms on the Aggressors, I think it's a big improvement. The tweaks to the vehicles to bring them in line with the army aesthetic are also nicely done too and add a lot of interest to the force, whilst still retaining the Imperial/Astartes feel.

Edited by Pearson73, 08 August 2020 - 08:22 AM.

Yosef Hausakluif

Yosef Hausakluif

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 496 posts
  • Faction: Too many to list!
Those dreads are SUPER cool! Love the use of bits and imaginative conversions!

Where did the round plastic dome Piece come from on the second Fatty dred that ‘houses’ his black optical bubble orb ?

Edited by Yosef Hausakluif, 08 August 2020 - 02:22 PM.

McGibs

McGibs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 137 posts

Both the dread's "head" and the rounded turret for my Executioner come from the Kharadron Overlord airship kits (I cant recall which boat specifically). They're chalk full of different sized techno-orbs that fit the 1950's aesthetic perfectly.

website_header.jpg

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,054 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
I'm surprised how well a 1950s aesthetic looks on Space Marines; personally, I'd make them look like Gundams (giant robots from a 1979 anime).

Good job.
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Sandalphon

Sandalphon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,399 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

I'm surprised how well a 1950s aesthetic looks on Space Marines; personally, I'd make them look like Gundams (giant robots from a 1979 anime).
Good job.

Isn't that the whole market share the tau were created to fill? (Of course they pale in comparison, Gundam kits are awesome ;) but serve a different purpose)

Great bubble dreads McGibs, "go-go gadget powerfist!"
outgunned, outnumbered - but never outclassed.

Kaeloth@CMON

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,054 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves

Good job.

Isn't that the whole market share the tau were created to fill?
How can the Tau satisfy anime otaku, when they are so obviously INHUMAN? (I'm human supremacist by necessity, not by choice, due to the simple fact I'm human.)
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users