Biggerizing old metal terminators?

Can it be done? If so, how?

Can it be done? Sure - but it's going to take a lot of hacking and sculpting to the point that's you might be better off just sculpting new models or buying plastics and doing it to them (although you're likely still going to need to resculpt at least some for those too).

You can sort of fake it by standing 25mm bases on top of 40mm bases and blending it in, but that won't actually do much for the Marines' size.

These are a very old project that was never finished, but I think I'll be resurrecting them at some point.

1wznnqI.png

So, yes you can, but as Bryan said expect to do a lot of work to make it clean. I used a Dremel with a flex shaft and dental drill bits to shape the metal for these.

Thanks for the replies!

I apologize for the original post; I got a 'brilliant' idea and just sorta spit it out here without much thought. I was a little tired when I posted.

My intent was to try and find a way to use my old metal terminators with the newer plastic ones without it looking weird because of the height difference.

Well, it depends how much work you want to put in. As the others have said, you're going to have to put a lot of work in to get them exactly right, but you can cheat to get a good part of the way there.

Basically, you can put some greenstuff or pasticard between the shoulderpad and the main torso, about 1mm or so per arm will make them wider and more bulky - another option is to angle them outward more (again with greenstuff to look like ribbing), which makes the pose more open which will also make them more like modern designs.

Fixing the height is trickier, but if you're willing to cut them at the waist with a jewellers saw, it is possible to extend their height with 1.5mm or 2mm plasticard and a bit of greenstuffing on some of them - old minis generally lack much of an abdomen. The more complex termis have too much modelled stuff at the waist to pull that off easily though.

So the other option to raise the height by being sneaky with the base. Depending upon your desired basing method, you can literally do this by putting little greenstuff platforms (again about 2mm ish) where the feet go, or one big one, and pinning them to the base through the greenstuff, and then covering the base and greenstuff with your usual basing sand/texture paint etc. If you want them on a flat surface base, you can instead add a small piece of plasticcard on the bottom of the feet, trimmed to fit the 'soles' and painted as part of the foot. It won't make the legs look as bulky as modern termis, but on a gaming table they will fit in much better.

Edited by Arkhanist