Finally got in a game!

I finally played a game with WS in 9th edition.

My list was...

Korsarro

Primaris Chaplain, master of sanctity, Catechism of Fire, Canticle of Hate, Warlord: Wise Orator

Primiars Librarian, ride the winds, storm wreather, Relic: Plume of the plainsrunner

5 intecessors with ABRs+ thunderhammer

5 intecessors with ABRs+ thunderhammer

5 insursors

3 Bladeguard 

3 Bladeguard 

1 Judiciar, relic: The Armour Indomitus, Hero of the Chapter: Chiggorin Storm

5 Tartaros Terminators with chainfists

8 Bikers, 2 meltas, 1 thunderhammer

3 Primaris Outriders

3 Primaris Outriders

Impulsor with shield dome

My opponent was Imperial Fists with an all Old Marines list with captain, libby, chaplain... 3 bolter centurions, a Dorrito, 2 lascannon razorbacks, 1 rhino, devs with lascannons, tacticals with a mix of special and heavy, 5 tartaros terminators with chainfists.

The mission was four pillars.  I chose domination, tank hunter, and raise the banners.  My opponent choose tanker hunter, engage on all fronts, Kill more stuff (i forget the name).  

Quick Recap... we both deployed conservatively.  I was able to deploy my incursors out of LOS and right next to one of the objectives on my opponents table edge(objective 2).  I won the roll off and elected to take first turn.  I quickly busted out advancing my biker blob towards my opponents end of the table and using Skilled Riders on them for a 3++ invuln.  One of my impulsors followed and the intercessors within it used the assault transport option to disembark and advance towards objective 2 giving me two full units of obsec bodies on it.   I was able to secure both objectives on my side of the table.  I used an empty impulsor and my judiciar to hold onto the objective in my deployment zone.  I figured my opponent would not want to shoot it since it wasnt threatening and I could easily get lucky with invuln saves.  My outriders moved up cautiously to setup turn 2 charges but also to stay out of the main firing lanes.  I was hoping to not lose too many and have them be in good position for counter charging, reinforcing objectives and all that shooty/punchy stuff we all love.

So by the end of my first turn I was holding 3 of 4 objectives with banners on all 3.  My opponent elected to focus most of his firepower on my biker blob since it was approaching quickly and looked fairly threatening.  He managed to kill 5 of 8 and murdered 3 of my outriders with lascannon fire.  -4 ap is painful :sad.:  

So by the start of turn 2 I scored 15 points for hold 1, hold 2, hold more but also 3 points for raise the banners and 3 points for domination.  The rest of the game was basically moot since the board state did not change at all with me holding more on turn 2, 3 and 5.  I almost maxed primary and scored about 20ish on secondaries.  I was able to keep flooding all 3 objectives with bodies and be maximally annoying with impulsors.  Falling back+charging, advancing and charging, move blocking, not dying, and of course exploding for a total of 15 mortal wounds dealt.  The end score was something like 70ish to 35ish.   My opponent won on kill count by quite a bit but did not secure objectives very well.  If this was an 8th edition I would have been tabled on turn 6 or 7 or just conceded sooner. 

Some highlights...

Tartaros terminators being good and easily making their 3d6+2 charge out of deepstrike and rerolling all misses with ap -5 chainfist with 3 dmg. 

Bikers using Strike for the Heart to consolidate 9" into a razorback and dorrito. 

Incursors being able to scout deploy near an critical objective on turn 1 forcing my opponent to waste firepower on a fairly nonthreatening unit.   

My opponent giving a centurion sargeant a mastercrafted hurricane bolter.  That thing really hurts vs primaris marines and bikers.  Very efficient shooting. 

An impulsor exploding right next to my opponents captain, libby and dorrito doing a total of 15 mortal wounds.  Although only the libby died :sad.:

Korsarro Khan carving a Rhino at full wounds in half on turn 5.  That felt good and scored 2 points for Bring it Down.   

Some conclusions...

The smaller board size is a really huge deal.  I was able to use WS speed to cover/threaten multiple objectives simultaneously.  I think close combat will be better off in 9th simply because there are so many more points available from objective grabbing relative to 8th edition.  Raise the banners is particularly good for close combat because you can score without committing big expensive units.  Just raise them banners and starting racking up the points.  If your opponent just sits still shooting you still score because burning the banners requires being close to them.   White Scars in particular are very good at domination since it is scored at the end of your turn .  Given the speed available this is not difficult and also scores primary. 

Overall I would say that list design should be made with primary and secondary missions in mind not firepower or close combat.   

TLDR: Just move fast and grab everything or if someone bad is holding an objective, punch them in the dick and take it.   

Edited by SanguinaryGuardsman

I thought I was the only one making my chaplain the warlord!

good for you getting a game in. That’s awesome you got to try it out vs a good, shoot chapter. Ironically I haven’t had a single game against marines ( probably at about 20 games now)

I would definitely agree many of my wins I felt would have been “tablings “  and early concessions by me in 8th Ed. Most of my wins the game ends and I have nearly nothing left.... often less than my opponent. 

it’s funny how I would say my Ultras kill more, but scars are more dynamic by nature. 

how did you find the Judiciar? Or the Blade Guard?

frankly I’m missing my Libbie with these new HQs. I really hate nit being able to cancel over watch.  And we have a Tau player that is shredding people....and we make a point of using lots of terrain. 

These are some great insights! 

The focus on objectives for White Scars seems like a real game winning strategy. The combination of fast units that can be made even more mobile, while still maintaining a degree of durability by virtue of being Space Marines, it seems like a philosophy to build a list around. 

How did you find the performance of the Bladeguard? Did you keep them around Kor'sarro for his +1 to wound bonuses or have them move around a bit more? They seem very interesting in a White Scars army.

good for you getting a game in. That’s awesome you got to try it out vs a good, shoot chapter. Ironically I haven’t had a single game against marines ( probably at about 20 games now)

I would definitely agree many of my wins I felt would have been “tablings “  and early concessions by me in 8th Ed. Most of my wins the game ends and I have nearly nothing left.... often less than my opponent. 

it’s funny how I would say my Ultras kill more, but scars are more dynamic by nature. 

frankly I’m missing my Libbie with these new HQs. I really hate nit being able to cancel over watch.  And we have a Tau player that is shredding people....and we make a point of using lots of terrain. 

Blade Guard do what it says on the box.  I found them useful for clearing out marines off of objectives.  I had 3 of them trash a razorback near Korsarro.  They are reliable damage dealers but not durable against any real firepower.    

The Judiciar I think is going to be useful only insofar as close combat is good in 9th.  If lots of armies have deep striking CC threats or a lot of close combat units in the mid field... hes gonna be good.  

I used him as a deep strike counter in this game.  I had originally planned to have him ride in one of the impulsors and go claim some heads but I decided to have him sit on my deployment zone objective and raise the banners.  That seemed to work out just fine.      

His fight last ability is going to hard counter a lot of units.  Do you really want to charge him with your 5 assault intercessors?   

Edited by SanguinaryGuardsman

Blade Guard do what it says on the box.  I found them useful for clearing out marines off of objectives.  I had 3 of them trash a razorback near Korsarro.  They are reliable damage dealers but not durable against any real firepower.    

The Judiciar I think is going to be useful only insofar as close combat is good in 9th.  If lots of armies have deep striking CC threats or a lot of close combat units in the mid field... hes gonna be good.  

I used him as a deep strike counter in this game.  I had originally planned to have him ride in one of the impulsors and go claim some heads but I decided to have him sit on my deployment zone objective and raise the banners.  That seemed to work out just fine.      

His fight last ability is going to hard counter a lot of units.  Do you really want to charge him with your 5 assault intercessors?   

- I'm still finding the Blade Guard look better than they are. I think hitting on 3's is a bit of a surprise for me, as I am getting more mileage out of Assault Intercessors.

- I'm not sure I would ever use my Judiciar in that fashion. He'd most certainly get blown away.... and I just think his inherent ability is just too good to be involved in a 'task' like that. My cruddy apothecary is probably better off doing that.... or I should just perhaps take him out of the list already. :)

- I'm still finding the Blade Guard look better than they are. I think hitting on 3's is a bit of a surprise for me, as I am getting more mileage out of Assault Intercessors.

- I'm not sure I would ever use my Judiciar in that fashion. He'd most certainly get blown away.... and I just think his inherent ability is just too good to be involved in a 'task' like that. My cruddy apothecary is probably better off doing that.... or I should just perhaps take him out of the list already. :smile.:

He had an impulsor next to him to keep him alive.  I didnt really plan to use him that way it just ended up being the most convenient option in this game.  My opponents main deep strike threat was 5 terminators so I figured the impulsor would make the charge harder, or if he deep struck on the other side of it... the Judiciar would fight before any charges and kill them all with his first round of attacks or a well timed "Only in Death Does Duty End"