2000 points (Paladin Bomb Variation)

Skywrath

Variant of the Paladin bomb, mostly in response to the thread about my experiences with GK in the 9th. Idea is pretty simple - Terminators hold/contest points, while interceptors get to the points quicker, so that Terminators can teleport/ GoI in. Paladins are all armed with demon hammers, barring two with warding staves (for that effective 3+ invuln with sanctuary), designed to smash anything that comes in the way. Brother-Captain will be with the Paladin Squad, with the Apothecary. Librarian and Voldus will start on the board for psychic shenanigans. I'll start the game in Tide of Shadows (to protect the interceptors), moving to Tide of Escalation, or Tide of Fury on T2. Either way, thoughts?

+++ GK 2000 (Interceptors+Terminators, complete) (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [120 PL, 1,996pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [120 PL, 1,996pts] ++

+ HQ [28 PL, 386pts] +

Brother-Captain [9 PL, 118pts]: Storm Bolter [3pts] : Warp Shaping

. Nemesis Force Halberd

Grand Master Voldus [10 PL, 160pts]: 6: Lore Master, Armoured Resilience, Edict Imperator, Empyrean Domination, Warlord, Warp Shaping

Librarian [9 PL, 108pts]: Vortex of Doom, Storm Bolter [3pts], Sanctuary

. Nemesis Warding Stave

+ Troops [39 PL, 636pts] +

Terminator Squad [13 PL, 212pts] : Hammerhand

. Grey Knight Terminator Justicar [53pts]: Storm bolter [3pts]

. . Nemesis Daemon Hammer [15pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer [15pts]

. 3x Terminator (Halberd) [114pts]: 3x Nemesis Force Halberd, 3x Storm Bolter [9pts]

. Terminator (Psycannon) [45pts]: Psycannon (Terminator) [10pts]

. . Nemesis Force Halberd

Terminator Squad [13 PL, 212pts] : Vortex of Doom

. 3x Terminator (Halberd) [114pts]: 3x Nemesis Force Halberd, 3x Storm Bolter [9pts]

Terminator Squad [13 PL, 212pts] : Vortex of Doom

+ Elites [37 PL, 714pts] +

Apothecary [5 PL, 80pts]: Inner Fire

. Nemesis Force Halberd

Paladin Squad [32 PL, 634pts] : Hammerhand

. 5x Paladin (Daemon Hammer) [325pts]: 5x Nemesis Daemon Hammer [75pts], 5x Storm Bolter [15pts]

. Paladin (Psycannon) [72pts]: Psycannon (Terminator) [10pts]

. Paladin (Psycannon) [72pts]: Psycannon (Terminator) [10pts]

. 2x Paladin (Warding Stave) [100pts]: 2x Nemesis Warding Stave, 2x Storm Bolter [6pts]

. Paragon [65pts]: Storm Bolter [3pts]

+ Fast Attack [16 PL, 260pts] +

Interceptor Squad [8 PL, 130pts] : Gate of Infinity

. 4x Interceptor (Halberd) [92pts]: 4x Nemesis Force Halberd, 4x Storm Bolter [12pts]

. Interceptor Justicar [38pts]: Storm bolter [3pts]

Interceptor Squad [8 PL, 130pts] : Gate of Infinity

. 4x Interceptor (Halberd) [92pts]: 4x Nemesis Force Halberd, 4x Storm Bolter [12pts]

. Interceptor Justicar [38pts]: Storm bolter [3pts]

Created with BattleScribe

Edited by Skywrath

Just going to go through bullet points of things I notice going from top to bottom through the list:

1.  If you can afford a Hammer for your Brother-Captain, I'd give him one.  He's a hard-hitting melee dude, so you want to get as much as possible out of him, which means you fork over the extra points for the Hammer.

2.  Same for the Apothecary.  GK Characters love those Hammers.

3.  The Paladins on the other hand do not all need Hammers - that's way too expensive for them; I'd put a Hammer on the Paragon, since he normally hits on a 2+, to the -1 to Hit on him isn't a big deal.  The rest of the Paladins can go with a mixture of Halberds and some Staves (for the better Invulnerable Save in melee).

Also, for the Paladins, I'd look for a different psychic power to go as their default.  They don't really need Hammerhand that much (and not at all if you stick with giving all of them Hammers).  I like to give mine Sanctuary, so they can still put it on themselves if the support Character with Sanctuary that accompanies them gets himself killed.

4.  With the points saved from not putting Hammers on every Paladin, you can probably fill out the Interceptors with a few more bodies.

The Interceptors might not need Gate of Infinity, since they already have a good Movement value, the once per game Shunt, and the stratagem that lets them Shunt again.  

You could give a supporting character Astral Aim, to put on the Paladins, too, as it’s nice to ignore Cover saves with all of their shooting, even when you don’t need the ignore LOS bit of the power.

I'll have a response in an hour or so, just ploughing through some study at the moment. Thanks for the response, brother.

Edited by Skywrath

Sorry for the late response, things came up. In response to your suggestions..

With the current points, I don't have enough to give either characters a hammer, unfortunately. The new list I'm tinkering around with should have enough, though.

How do you figure when a unit is too expensive for what it's worth, if I may ask? Just curious. My logic for giving them all hammers is this - seeing how most of my army will be busy scoring points, I need something that can take care of things that will contest the points. Otherwise I don't have enough of a threat on the board to deal with big and spooky things. Even though, you are definitely right that giving them all hammers will be overkill, that's more for the fact that they kill things quickly and move on. In my collective 2 games experience, those halberds are definitely enough, so because of that fact, I'm making a variant of this list. 

With the powers, yeah, you are definitely right - hammerhand for them if they have spears is useless, but if I were to go for the full hammer route, would that still be worth considering? Also the way I figure, an Apothecary will be with the Paladins with Sanctuary on him, so they will get that off. If anything, I could use 1CP to cast another psychic power from the same discipline from the paladins. With this in mind, I think I might give them GoI, while changing my interceptors to something spicy, like vortex of doom, or purge soul, especially with the logic you provided.

How many more interceptors would you suggest having? And would including something big like a NDK or a Ven Dread be a good idea instead of those? AA lascannon Dreadnought seems like a good idea?

Edited by Skywrath

Hammers cost the same for characters as non-characters, so if you have the points to put them on Paladins, you have the points to put them on your Brother-Captain and Apothecary.  Makes way more sense to put your 15 point melee investment on two models that hit on 2+ base with 4 attacks, than it does to put them on two models that hit on 3+ base with 3 attacks.

All Hammer Paladins is overkill - you can use the points saved to buy something else for your army where you might have a bit of a weakness.

Remember that the Mental Focus stratagem just lets you attempt to cast one additional psychic power, but you still have to "know" the power.  It would only be useful for your Paladins, as you have set them up, to get to cast both Smite and Hammerhand in the same phase, because those are the only two powers that they know (with your choice for their power).  Hammerhand on a unit with Halberds is actually more useful than it would be on a unit with Hammers.  Hammers are already Wounding MEQs on a 2+; Halberds with Hammerhand will also now Wound MEQs on a 2+.  But, either way, I think they're better off with Sanctuary as their power, so they still have it when the support Characters are dead or off doing something else.

Venerable Dreadnought with Twin Las would be great for your list (or any list for that matter).  You'd have to play with the points to see if you can afford one by dropping 9 Hammers from your Paladins (and giving 2 Hammers to your characters).

I'll do what you suggest with my hammer paladin squad, and change them out for halberds, with two having staves. But you didn't really answer my question in how you determine (mathematically, I presume) whether a unit is over-costed for what it does?

Apologies about the Mental Focus strategem, I'll remember that for next time. The current iteration of the list has the paladins knowing Sanctuary, I'll post the updated version in a bit. Trying to squeeze that Ven Dread in, but so far, he isn't co-operating with my efforts, unfortunately :( What is the acrononym of MEQ's?

Again, thanks so much for the feedback :)

But you didn't really answer my question in how you determine (mathematically, I presume) whether a unit is over-costed for what it does?

This is more art than science (although there is math behind it as well), and a lot of the 'art' is just based off of experience.   The following article is something that I developed for Space Wolves, but applies to Grey Knights and all of the other factions equally.  You just have to substitute Grey Knights units in places where I use Space Wolves examples.  It might give you a better appreciation for how I thing about units when list building.

Army Building Guide for 9e.

Before you read that full article, though, you may want to read this post.  It is a bit of a preview and introduction of the article.

Apologies about the Mental Focus strategem, I'll remember that for next time. The current iteration of the list has the paladins knowing Sanctuary, I'll post the updated version in a bit. Trying to squeeze that Ven Dread in, but so far, he isn't co-operating with my efforts, unfortunately :sad.: What is the acrononym of MEQ's?

MEQ is an old 40k acronym for "Marine Equivalent," so we're talking models with T4, W1, and a 3+ Save.  There are also GEQs (Guard Equivilants) with T3, W1, and a 5+ Save, and TEQs, which are Terminator Equivalents with T4, W2, and a 2+ Save.

I haven't seen it used yet, but we'll probably introduce Primaris Equivalents as a new term to use at some point.

So, when talking about how reliable a certain unit is for shooting and/or close combat, they might talk about how many MEQs it would destroy per turn, on average, just to get a sense for how units compare to one another against a specific type of target set. 

Again, thanks so much for the feedback :smile.:

No problem, happy to take a look and make a few recommendations.

But you didn't really answer my question in how you determine (mathematically, I presume) whether a unit is over-costed for what it does?

This is more art than science (although there is math behind it as well), and a lot of the 'art' is just based off of experience.   The following article is something that I developed for Space Wolves, but applies to Grey Knights and all of the other factions equally.  You just have to substitute Grey Knights units in places where I use Space Wolves examples.  It might give you a better appreciation for how I thing about units when list building.

Army Building Guide for 9e.

Before you read that full article, though, you may want to read this post.  It is a bit of a preview and introduction of the article.

Apologies about the Mental Focus strategem, I'll remember that for next time. The current iteration of the list has the paladins knowing Sanctuary, I'll post the updated version in a bit. Trying to squeeze that Ven Dread in, but so far, he isn't co-operating with my efforts, unfortunately :sad.: What is the acrononym of MEQ's?

MEQ is an old 40k acronym for "Marine Equivalent," so we're talking models with T4, W1, and a 3+ Save.  There are also GEQs (Guard Equivilants) with T3, W1, and a 5+ Save, and TEQs, which are Terminator Equivalents with T4, W2, and a 2+ Save.

I haven't seen it used yet, but we'll probably introduce Primaris Equivalents as a new term to use at some point.

So, when talking about how reliable a certain unit is for shooting and/or close combat, they might talk about how many MEQs it would destroy per turn, on average, just to get a sense for how units compare to one another against a specific type of target set. 

Again, thanks so much for the feedback :smile.:

No problem, happy to take a look and make a few recommendations.

I'll take a look at that second link in a bit (thanks for including it, that recommendation came in handy) - I started skimming through the first link you sent me, however, I am wondering whether that really does apply to the GK? From my experience (and I may be wrong in assuming this), SW are a pretty melee aggressive army, while the GK is more.. defensive, I want to say? Well depending on whether you are running paladins or GMNDK, ofc.  I see the GK as essentially custodes lite, but with psychic powers. 

But here is the updated list:

+++ GK 2000 (Interceptors+Terminators, complete) (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [123 PL, 12CP, 1,993pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [123 PL, 12CP, 1,993pts] ++

+ Configuration [12CP] +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)  [12CP]
. Categories: Configuration

Detachment CP

+ HQ [31 PL, 458pts] +

Grand Master Voldus [10 PL, 160pts]: 6: Lore Master, Armoured Resilience, Edict Imperator, Empyrean Domination, Frag & Krak grenades, Iron Halo, Malleus Argyrum, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm bolter, Warlord, Warp Shaping
. Categories: HQ, Grey Knights, Adeptus Astartes, Character, Grand Master, Infantry, Psyker, Terminator, Faction: Imperium, Voldus, Warlord

Librarian [9 PL, 108pts]: Crux Terminatus, Frag & Krak grenades, Gate of Infinity, Psyk-out Grenade, Sanctic Shard, Storm Bolter [3pts], Vortex of Doom
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Grey Knights, HQ, Psyker, Terminator, Character, Infantry, Librarian, Faction: Imperium
. Nemesis Warding Stave: Nemesis Warding Stave

Lord Kaldor Draigo [12 PL, 190pts]: Edict Imperator, Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm bolter, Storm shield, The Titansword, Warp Shaping
. Categories: HQ, Grey Knights, Adeptus Astartes, Psyker, Infantry, Terminator, Lord Kaldor Draigo, Grand Master, Character, Faction: Imperium

Terminator Squad [13 PL, 212pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Gate of Infinity, Psyk-out Grenade
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Grey Knights, Psyker, Terminator, Troops, Infantry, Terminator Squad, Faction: Imperium
. . Nemesis Force Halberd: Nemesis Force Halberd

Terminator Squad [13 PL, 212pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Gate of Infinity, Psyk-out Grenade
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Grey Knights, Psyker, Terminator, Troops, Infantry, Terminator Squad, Faction: Imperium

Terminator Squad [13 PL, 212pts]: Astral Aim, Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade

+ Elites [37 PL, 639pts] +

Apothecary [5 PL, 95pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Inner Fire, Psyk-out Grenade
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Character, Grey Knights, Infantry, Psyker, Elites, Terminator, Faction: Imperium
. Nemesis Daemon Hammer [15pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer [15pts]

Paladin Squad [32 PL, 544pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Sanctuary
. Categories: Grey Knights, Psyker, Terminator, Elites, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Infantry, Paladin, Paladin Squad, Faction: Imperium
. Paladin (Daemon Hammer) [65pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer [15pts], Storm Bolter [3pts]
. 4x Paladin (Halberd) [200pts]: 4x Nemesis Force Halberd, 4x Storm Bolter [12pts]
. Paladin (Psycannon) [57pts]: Psycannon (Terminator) [10pts]
. Paladin (Psycannon) [57pts]: Psycannon (Terminator) [10pts]
. 2x Paladin (Warding Stave) [100pts]: 2x Nemesis Warding Stave, 2x Storm Bolter [6pts]
. Paragon [65pts]: Storm Bolter [3pts]

+ Fast Attack [16 PL, 260pts] +

Interceptor Squad [8 PL, 130pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Vortex of Doom
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Fast Attack, Grey Knights, Infantry, Psyker, Interceptor Squad, Faction: Imperium
. Interceptor Justicar [38pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm bolter [3pts]

Interceptor Squad [8 PL, 130pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Vortex of Doom
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Fast Attack, Grey Knights, Infantry, Psyker, Interceptor Squad, Faction: Imperium
. Interceptor Justicar [38pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm bolter [3pts]

Update log (in bullet points for easier reading):

1. Followed your recommendation and gave Paladins Sanctuary, and the Terminators Gate of Infinity for movement purposes. 
2. Even though the list doesn't reflect it, the Terminators have 2 halberds, 1 warding stave, 1 psycannon, and a paragon with Demon Hammer, per squad.
3. Interceptors have Vortex of Doom on them, and I seriously wish they had the ability to cast Inner Fire.
4. Characters have Demon Hammers, such as the Apothecary.
5. Paladins re-armed with Halberds, but I kept 1 in there with a demon hammer for the extra spicyness.

5. Controversial decision - but I removed the BC, in favour of Kaldor. The way I see it, my terminators/interceptors are not going to be that much in melee, and primarily on the points. Let's assume the points were also apart, similar to 4 pillars - having the BC on one of those 4 points compared to having him next to the paladin blob would be pointless. Seeing how if the opponent will want to contest the points, I don't really need the additional smite range, when I can psycannon/storm-bolter (with psybolt ammunition) them to their next game. Plus with Kaldor running around with the Paladins, instead of rerolling 1's to hit, now all of them get re-rolls to hit. Bit of a moot point because they would be hitting on 3's, but Kaldor is also fairly more survivable than the BC, and he knows 2 sanctic abilities compared to one. The other thing to offset that increased smite range is that he has edict imperator - so instead of smiting their way to victory, they will be smashing their way to victory with the increased movement speed. Does this argument work? If not, I'm happy to revise my position in light of any additional logic you provide. 

EDIT: Adding this point, before I forget. When I had the BC in this list, instead of Kaldor, I had 80 points left. I could have included another Apothecary in there (rip the Ven Dreadnought idea), so by adding Kaldor, I filled the points value, because taking two apothecaries would be useless? Or should have I gone for two of them instead of Kaldor?
Edited by Skywrath

I, too, have dropped the Brother-Captain. He was a must take in 8e, when 90% of your units were in one big castle/blob, but in 9e missions you are forced to spread out for primaries and many secondaries, so less units within 6” to take advantage of his Smite range boost, less overall Smites possible/likely anyway.

Draigo is a better alternative, for sure.

Two Apothecaries aren’t pointless, but Draigo is a good add, so no worries.

That latest version of the list looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

Came up with another variation of this list, which eschews the paladin bomb for some spiciness in terms of mechanical aptitude.

+++ GK 2000 (Interceptors+Terminators+NDK+Ven Dread) (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [122 PL, 12CP, 1,993pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [122 PL, 12CP, 1,993pts] ++

+ Configuration [12CP] +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)  [12CP]

Detachment CP

+ HQ [31 PL, 458pts] +

Grand Master Voldus [10 PL, 160pts]: 6: Lore Master, Armoured Resilience, Edict Imperator, Empyrean Domination, Frag & Krak grenades, Iron Halo, Malleus Argyrum, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm bolter, Warlord, Warp Shaping
. Categories: HQ, Grey Knights, Adeptus Astartes, Character, Grand Master, Infantry, Psyker, Terminator, Faction: Imperium, Voldus, Warlord

Librarian [9 PL, 108pts]: Crux Terminatus, Frag & Krak grenades, Gate of Infinity, Psyk-out Grenade, Sanctic Shard, Storm Bolter [3pts], Vortex of Doom
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Grey Knights, HQ, Psyker, Terminator, Character, Infantry, Librarian, Faction: Imperium
. Nemesis Warding Stave: Nemesis Warding Stave

Lord Kaldor Draigo [12 PL, 190pts]: Armoured Resilience, Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm bolter, Storm shield, The Titansword, Warp Shaping
. Categories: HQ, Grey Knights, Adeptus Astartes, Psyker, Infantry, Terminator, Lord Kaldor Draigo, Grand Master, Character, Faction: Imperium

. 2x Terminator (Halberd) [76pts]: 2x Nemesis Force Halberd, 2x Storm Bolter [6pts]
. Terminator (Warding Stave) [38pts]: Nemesis Warding Stave, Storm Bolter [3pts]

. 2x Terminator (Halberd) [76pts]: 2x Nemesis Force Halberd, 2x Storm Bolter [6pts]
. Terminator (Warding Stave) [38pts]: Nemesis Warding Stave, Storm Bolter [3pts]

Terminator Squad [13 PL, 212pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Hammerhand, Psyk-out Grenade

+ Elites [14 PL, 250pts] +

Apothecary [5 PL, 95pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Inner Fire, Psyk-out Grenade
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Character, Grey Knights, Infantry, Psyker, Elites, Terminator, Faction: Imperium
. Nemesis Daemon Hammer [15pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer [15pts]

Venerable Dreadnought [9 PL, 155pts]: Astral Aim, Missile launcher [20pts], Twin lascannon [40pts]
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Dreadnought, Elites, Grey Knights, Vehicle, Psyker, Venerable Dreadnought, Faction: Imperium

+ Fast Attack [16 PL, 274pts] +

Interceptor Squad [8 PL, 137pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Vortex of Doom
. Grey Knight (Psycannon) [30pts]: Psycannon [10pts]
. 3x Interceptor (Sword) [69pts]: 3x Nemesis Force Sword, 3x Storm Bolter [9pts]

Interceptor Squad [8 PL, 137pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Vortex of Doom
. Grey Knight (Psycannon) [30pts]: Psycannon [10pts]
. 3x Interceptor (Sword) [69pts]: 3x Nemesis Force Sword, 3x Storm Bolter [9pts]

+ Heavy Support [22 PL, 375pts] +

Nemesis Dreadknight [11 PL, 195pts]: Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter [10pts], Gatling Psilencer [20pts], Heavy Psycannon [25pts], Nemesis Greatsword [10pts], Sanctuary
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Vehicle, Heavy Support, Grey Knights, Nemesis Dreadknight, Psyker, Faction: Imperium

Nemesis Dreadknight [11 PL, 180pts]: Dreadfist, Dreadfist [5pts], Gatling Psilencer [20pts], Heavy Psycannon [25pts], Sanctuary
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Vehicle, Heavy Support, Grey Knights, Nemesis Dreadknight, Psyker, Faction: Imperium

General plan is roughly the same - Interceptors to get the far away points, with the terminators reinforcing those points. Kaldor, Voldus, the Apothecary and one NDK in Deep-Strike. So here is where the variation happens. The Ven Dread with lascannnon and missile launcher deals with anything big enough with Astral Aim. The NDK with his sword deep-strikes with the Apothecary/Kaldor/Voldus to wreak havoc into the enemy castle. Voldus casts Armoured Resilience on the NDK, while the NDK sanctuaries himself. Meanwhile while I'm destroying his castle, I have control over 3 points with my interceptors/terminators/NDK n2 and Ven Dread shooting cheerfully in the opponent's back.

Either way thoughts?

I don't know if you already changed your list. My thoughts on your last iteration are:

The Librarian powers. I woudn't give him the Vortex of doom. He should be a support char and dont get close to anything. I like the Shard on him to cast high value powers or hard to cast ones like the +1CP one.

7 Psychic power slots on characters are I think a sweet spot for us to take all we need.

I would strip the hammers from the interceptors because they should hold obj. and don't fight. The psycannon is already a ranged setup wich I like on them, so they can weaken a target while standing on objectives. The Hammer is too much on a 1 Wound 3+ model, in a unit you want to keep save. This will give you 30 pts.

Depending on your secondarys you want to take, this would be one squad of servitors. (You know i like them)

With the feeling I have with this list, I would build it with Battalion+ Patrol detachment to get 5 HQ slots and upgrade the two Dreadknights to GMNDK's and switch one Interceptor squad to a strike squad in reserve. To get the points for the upgrade the terminator justicars and the apothecary would lose the hammers....

So it would change your list to something like this:

HQ's

Voldus

Draigo

Librarian (you could drop him with the GMNDK's to get some points for a bigger strike squad or upgrades)

GMNDK - Sword, teleporter, Psylencer + Psycannon

GMNDK - Sword, teleporter, Psylencer + Psycannon

5 Strike - Psycannon

5 terminators - Psycannon

Apothecary - Wardingstave (?)

Ven Dread - Missle + twin Las

Interceptor Squad - Psycannon

would be 2000 Point and keep all of your psycannons. I think that is the theme of the list.

If you go double Patrol you could strip the libby, and have 105 points plus the pts of the strike squad. So you could upgrade one of the terminator squads to a 10 man unit to use the psyactive ammunition strat drop unit action. 

Edited by Silver-Fox

That's actually a very fair point, and I'll change that accordingly (about the librarian). 

With the hammers, they are glued on, so I can't do that already. Plus if they do fight against primaris/vehicles there is an extra threat for them to deal with. I envision the interceptors attack with a terminator squad, with Kaldor Deep-striking with that squad for those re-rolls.

Hard pass on the servitors.

I'll definitely take a look at the battalion/patrol detachment with the GMNDK's idea, I think I'm seeing a route here..

Alrighty, I got two lists that I would want some opinions on. Planning on using this in the upcoming tournament in September, more specifically the VLR variant because of the twin psycannon shenanigans.

GMNDK + VLR + Paladins

+++ GK 2000 (GMNDK+VLR+Paladins) (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [109 PL, 12CP, 1,994pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment CP

+ HQ +

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight: Armoured Resilience, Dreadfist, Dreadfist, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight: Dreadfist, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword, Warp Shaping

Grand Master Voldus: 6: Lore Master, Armoured Resilience, Edict Imperator, Empyrean Domination, Frag & Krak grenades, Iron Halo, Malleus Argyrum, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm bolter, Warlord, Warp Shaping

+ Troops +

Strike Squad: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Sanctuary
. 4x Grey Knight (Halberd): 4x Nemesis Force Halberd, 4x Storm Bolter
. Grey Knight Justicar: Storm bolter
. . Nemesis Daemon Hammer: Nemesis Daemon Hammer

Strike Squad: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Astral Aim

Terminator Squad: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Gate of Infinity
. Grey Knight Terminator Justicar: Storm bolter
. 2x Terminator (Halberd): 2x Nemesis Force Halberd, 2x Storm Bolter
. Terminator (Psycannon): Psycannon (Terminator)
. Terminator (Warding Stave): Nemesis Warding Stave, Storm Bolter

+ Elites +

Apothecary: Frag & Krak grenades, Inner Fire, Psyk-out Grenade, Sanctic Shard
. Nemesis Daemon Hammer: Nemesis Daemon Hammer

Paladin Squad: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Sanctuary
. 5x Paladin (Halberd): 5x Nemesis Force Halberd, 5x Storm Bolter
. Paladin (Psycannon): Psycannon (Terminator)
. 2x Paladin (Warding Stave): 2x Nemesis Warding Stave, 2x Storm Bolter
. Paragon: Storm Bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Vortimer Pattern Land Raider Redeemer: 2x Flamestorm Cannon (Forgeworld), Hunter-killer missile, Storm bolter, Twin psycannon

GMNDK + LR + Paladins

+++ GK 2000 (GMNDK+LR+Paladins) (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [105 PL, 12CP, 1,984pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment CP

+ HQ +

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight: Armoured Resilience, Dreadfist, Dreadfist, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight: Dreadfist, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword, Warp Shaping

Grand Master Voldus: 6: Lore Master, Armoured Resilience, Edict Imperator, Empyrean Domination, Frag & Krak grenades, Iron Halo, Malleus Argyrum, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm bolter, Warlord, Warp Shaping

+ Troops +

Strike Squad: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Astral Aim

Strike Squad: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Sanctuary

Terminator Squad: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Gate of Infinity
. Grey Knight Terminator Justicar: Storm bolter
. 2x Terminator (Halberd): 2x Nemesis Force Halberd, 2x Storm Bolter
. Terminator (Psycannon): Psycannon (Terminator)
. Terminator (Warding Stave): Nemesis Warding Stave, Storm Bolter

+ Elites +

Apothecary: Frag & Krak grenades, Inner Fire, Psyk-out Grenade, Sanctic Shard
. Nemesis Daemon Hammer: Nemesis Daemon Hammer

Paladin Squad: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Sanctuary
. 5x Paladin (Halberd): 5x Nemesis Force Halberd, 5x Storm Bolter
. 2x Paladin (Warding Stave): 2x Nemesis Warding Stave, 2x Storm Bolter
. Paragon: Storm Bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider: Hunter-killer Missile, Storm Bolter, Twin Heavy Bolter, 2x Twin Lascannon

Really tried damn hard to fit the MM on that LR, which unfortunately didn't work out :sad.: Usually both of the paladin squads in both of those lists would have two guys with demon hammers, but seeing how the VLR was over by one freaking point, had to drop one of them for a halberd guy. The normal land raider list can run that demon hammer guy though.

Plan:

So general idea is this: Both GMNDK's on the Table-top, with the strikes/land raider and the terminators inside (There is a variant of this list where I change the Land Raider into a Vortimer Land Raider redeemer for psycannon shenanigans). Apothecary/Voldus/Paladins in deep-strike. So one the Grand Master goes behind obscuring terrain, and the strikes gives him astral aim. The other one Armoured Resilience's himself, strikes giving him sanctuary and soaks anything that comes with him. Alternatively, the Land Raider could get Sanctuary, and just unload. If not then it sits behind obscuring terrain, and Astral Aim goes on it. Strikes score points, and the terminators inside either unload close to an objective, turn 2, or reinforce the paladins coming turn 2.

In turn 2, the terminators unload, Gate of Infinity the other GMNDK into melee, while the paladins deep-strike with Voldus behind them for the rerolls. Apothecary burns 4 CP on dynamic insertion, powerful adept, empyric channelling and Inner Fire's. Paladins sanctuary themselves and get armored resilienced by Voldus and just destroy anything in their path, while the strikes score points, and the terminators do the same, or choose to reinforce that paladin blob. The other GMNDK in the back is just shooting everything with astral aim, with the Land Raider doing the same. Same story with the Vortimer variant of the list, but the terminators go on the offensive, while the LR version is more defensive focused. But both lists could do one or the other. So this list is full of threats that should drive any experienced player to have a long hard think about their choices.. so thoughts? 
Edited by Skywrath

Still thinking about your lists, but Armoured Resilience can only be cast on Infantry.

I would put the strikes in the LR because they are super squishy. 5 Terminators in cover can survive better than strikes. you can then let them out and put the terminators in the LR bevore he moves if you want.

It's funny because I'm considering to use a Lascannon LR again. But what is that special LR? And what Psycannon shenanigans with him?

I wold also try to get the full 4 psycannons in the paladins, so the stratagems would be worth it.

If you don't use a razorback, you can get a Rhino so much cheaper for it to do the same purpose.

Edited by Silver-Fox

The special Land Raider, is a Vortimer Land Raider Redeemer. Similar armament to a Land Raider, but armed with psyk-out grenades, and twin psycannons. Of course those twin psycannons interact with the stratagems, so there is some potential I want to try out. 

I split my psycannons into two - so each squad of 10, has 2 psycannons each. Next game, I am planning on trying that version out, however I intuit, my way is better at the moment. I play fairly aggressively, so my paladins are predominantly killy, rather than shooty.

What makes you suggest the Razorback/Rhino? Theoretically, I could see myself using Vortimer Razorbacks for the same reason as the Vortimer Land Raiders, but other than that, no real need. 

Thanks for the explanation, but the psycannons of the LR will only be dmg 1. And you pay 2 CP to buff 8 shots. I think it's not worth the effort.

Same for the 2 psycannons in the paladin squad. I would take 4 or none to max out the psychic onslaught stratagem.

I thought you had a razorback in one of your lists. The rhino costs about 80 pts vs. 120 pts for a razorback. Both try to fill the same role in the army, so take the cheaper one.