And they shall Know No Fear...

More than happy to do a fan chapter, lay it on me

Would love to see your take on a Gatebreaker:

2e.jpg

This blog's been really fun to follow – the painting's fantastic, and it's such a treat to see a variety of Chapters being given the spotlight. 

Edited by apologist

I'd really love to see a version of my old chapter I painted as a teenager (half a life time ago).

They're called the Grailkeepers (I got my profile name from them).

They're 2nd founding Imperial fist successors. They're very insular and distrusting of outsiders- pyskers in particular. They guard a grail said to contain the blood of Emperor, collected by Dorn as he brought him from the Vengeful Spirit.. Unusually for marines they are quite devout and have scripture painted on their armour.

(I came up with a lot of this fluff before a number of things came about like the Horus Heresy. I didn't know much about Blood Angels or Black Templars as a kid. I didn't know much about painting either)

orNxV3Y.jpg

YglWlGa.jpg

yajQqUg.jpg

Edited by grailkeeper

Would love to see your take on a Gatebreaker

This blog's been really fun to follow – the painting's fantastic, and it's such a treat to see a variety of Chapters being given the spotlight.

Ooh, I've been following your threads with interest, I'd be honoured to have a go at a Gatebreaker! As I'm working my way through the Dark Imperium marines I have a choice of doing either an intercessor, hellblaster or inceptor; I'd be tempted with a hellblaster personally but do you have a preference?

Thanks for the compliment, glad people are enjoying it. Need to get better at the WIP parts though otherwise it's just a parade of completed models!

I'd really love to see a version of my old chapter I painted as a teenager (half a life time ago).

They're called the Grailkeepers (I got my profile name from them).

Cool, I can do a GrailKeeper. Same question as above, do you have a preference of model you'd like to see the scheme on? Also, I just want to make sure I've got it right, tell me if anything needs changing:

gallery_221927_16756_2889.png
Edited by _GingerBat_

Cool colour scheme, Grailkeeper – I'm looking forward to _GingerBat_'s interpretation :)

Would love to see your take on a Gatebreaker

Ooh, I've been following your threads with interest, I'd be honoured to have a go at a Gatebreaker! As I'm working my way through the Dark Imperium marines I have a choice of doing either an intercessor, hellblaster  or inceptor; I'd be tempted with a hellblaster personally but do you have a preference?

Thanks for the compliment, glad people are enjoying it. Need to get better at the WIP parts though otherwise it's just a parade of completed models!

Dealer's choice, I say – if you're going to be kind enough to paint up a Gatebreaker, seems only fair you get to pick which sort! :)

A Hellblaster would be spiffy; it's not something that I've had a go at yet, and new is always good.  

Nothing like an enforced lockdown to really stop the creative juices flowing apparently... managed to get back in the saddle last night though and got the blocking in done on both the GrailKeeper and Gatebreaker. Was curious about how I was going to go about the navy armour of the GrailKeeper and put a few colours down, before you know it he's now more than halfway done! Here's where he's at now, still got the green to do, the metals and then extra details.

0919Icn.jpg

About 5 seconds after uploading this picture I decided I wasn't quite happy with the Chapter Badge, so decided to tweak it a bit. Much happier with it now, even if the photography doesn't make it look as smooth as the naked eye!

4QaBrSE.jpg

Comments, Critique, General Observations all welcome. I'm thinking of trying a unifying recess shade across the Blue and Green armour parts, any ideas? Thinking a muddy purple at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good!

Thanks!

Very impressive freehand, wish I could do something like that.

You can! Just practice a lot, I make sure there's some element of freehand on every model. You can see from the first post here that I've got better each time, just got to bite that bullet!

Lovely work on the Grailkeeper – and I know exactly what you mean by how a tentative experiment suddenly leads to a near-complete figure!

Thanks. Yeah I need to stop doing that really, I try to have a plan going in to each model and going off half-cocked like this tends to lead to issues further down the road...

Wow! This is fantastic!

I'm glad you think so! Fingers crossed you like the finished version just as much!

Could you also do a Rainbow Warrior? :whistling:

I'll add them to the list! Might have to wait until my hands stop shaking at the thought of the head fins though :sweat:

Well Grailkeeper, I hope you like him:

R3Ssxoa.jpg

Gallery here: https://imgur.com/a/YbJL7o7

More weathering than I was planning, but I'm not too upset with the final look. I may have forgotten to drill out the barrel until a minute before the photo's were taken, it's since been tidied up.

R3Ssxoa.jpg

More weathering than I was planning, but I'm not too upset with the final look. I may have forgotten to drill out the barrel until a minute before the photo's were taken, it's since been tidied up.

R3Ssxoa.jpg

Like him? I absolutely love him. This is phenomenal. I'd lost for words to describe how I feel about this. You are the only person other than a teenage me to paint one of these guys and you smashed it out of the park! The weathering on the feet is just incredible. You took my daubs and turned it into something believable. Thank you so much!

Like him? I absolutely love him. This is phenomenal. I'd lost for words to describe how I feel about this. You are the only person other than a teenage me to paint one of these guys and you smashed it out of the park! The weathering on the feet is just incredible. You took my daubs and turned it into something believable. Thank you so much!

Honestly I'm really touched you've done this. If there's anything I can do for you let me know.

Oh man I'm so glad you like it! Honestly it was my pleasure. I can tidy him up and send it to you if you want, you're not too far away from me.

Absolutely beautiful marine! I love the weathering on the navy especially, and the face turned out super menacing. Great work!

Thanks Naryn, appreciate it. Didn't think about the face but you're right, looks proper mean!

Got started on the Gatebreaker, going to use this guy to practice my glazing. Just a start but I'm happy with where it's going so far.

DLBdRWv.jpg

Oh man I'm so glad you like it! Honestly it was my pleasure. I can tidy him up and send it to you if you want, you're not too far away from me.

Wow! That's so generous. If I can send you something small back let me know- Ihave some palanite enforcer helmets that might make good alternative marine heads if you'd like them. Want me to DM you my address?

I love the work so far – fantastic use of purple for shading; and I like the texture you’re suggesting. Great stuff!

Thanks man, think you're going to like this next update then; got a bit carried away again, and I'm kinda glad I did. Still some things to tidy up and the base to finish.

NQF2yCo.jpg

Couple more images here:

eIO6Xvs.jpg

IdjkFGL.jpg

Wow! That's so generous. If I can send you something small back let me know- I have some palatine enforcer helmets that might make good alternative marine heads if you'd like them. Want me to DM you my address?

Yeah, shoot me a DM and I'll get it sorted out. And don't worry about sending anything back, consider it an early Christmas present. It was a pleasure painting up your custom scheme, and it would look so much better on your shelf than mine :wink:

Aaaaand he's done:
ywL2HgB.jpg

srHN0FC.jpg

ROpxmOj.jpg

There's a nice video turnaround here too if you want to see more of it. Went with a Triangle for the Heavy Support designation as I felt that was more in keeping with the iconography Apologist is using on his own Gatebreakers. Also used a small flame in place of the Boltgun pip in the corner for the same reason. Would love to know what you think of him dude.
Of course now that I'm looking at it as a complete miniature I can see that I haven't shaded behind the power pack properly and I'm wondering if I should do some small line highlights on some of the upper facing panels... Still, I am pleased with the overall finish so I'm not going to rush to fiddle with it. C&C as always is encouraged!

I'll be getting started on the next model at some point this week, and I want your help to decide which chapter to set up. I've got a few in my list that I want to do, and I'll get to them all by the time I'm done here, but which do you think should be next? I've included what model I'd likely be painting up for each chapter; note that there are a lot more chapters I want to do, but feel like I'd want to do an Indomitus model for them, and I want to complete all the Know No Fear models first.

Tried setting up a poll but don't think that's possible so just reply with your vote and I'll tally them all up in a few days.

1. Jade Paladins - Hellblaster.
  2. Blood Ravens - Inceptor.
  3. Ultramarines - Captain.
  4. Marines Malevolent - Hellblaster.
  5. Accipiters - Lieutenant.
  6. Dark Angels - Hellblaster.
  7. Raptors - Inceptor.
  8. Exorcists - Intercessor.
  9. Hawk Lords - Inceptor.
  10. Void Tridents - Intercessor.
  11. Rainbow Warriors - Hellblaster.
  12. Angels Revenant - Intercessor.

Visual Aide to make it a bit easier picking what to paint next:

9KS7ECa.jpg

I replaced the Rainbow Warriors with the Golden Halos, mainly due to the fact it would have been the fourth predominantly blue marine and I wanted a bit more variety in the choices.

Leaning towards Exorcists myself but I'd like to get as much community involvement as possible.