And they shall Know No Fear...

Aaaaand he's done:

There's a nice video turnaround here too if you want to see more of it. Went with a Triangle for the Heavy Support designation as I felt that was more in keeping with the iconography Apologist is using on his own Gatebreakers. Also used a small flame in place of the Boltgun pip in the corner for the same reason. Would love to know what you think of him dude.

Of course now that I'm looking at it as a complete miniature I can see that I haven't shaded behind the power pack properly and I'm wondering if I should do some small line highlights on some of the upper facing panels... Still, I am pleased with the overall finish so I'm not going to rush to fiddle with it. C&C as always is encouraged!

Absolutely lovely – the gorgeous painting almost goes without saying in the context of your other work; but it's particularly rewarding to see your Chapter recreated by another artist. Thank you! I also love the creative additions of the weapon badge and squad designation. In fact, I like 'em so much I'll roll those into the Chapter's background. 

I also completely support the principle of avoiding retouching. What are imperfections to one, are characterful to another. 

I'll be getting started on the next model at some point this week, and I want your help to decide which chapter to set up. I've got a few in my list that I want to do, and I'll get to them all by the time I'm done here, but which do you think should be next? I've included what model I'd likely be painting up for each chapter; note that there are a lot more chapters I want to do, but feel like I'd want to do an Indomitus model for them, and I want to complete all the Know No Fear models first.

Tried setting up a poll but don't think that's possible so just reply with your vote and I'll tally them all up in a few days.

• Jade Paladins - Hellblaster.
  • Blood Ravens - Inceptor.
  • Ultramarines - Captain.
  • Marines Malevolent - Hellblaster.
  • Accipiters - Lieutenant.
  • Dark Angels - Hellblaster.
  • Raptors - Inceptor.
  • Exorcists - Intercessor.
  • Hawk Lords - Inceptor.
  • Void Tridents - Intercessor.
  • Rainbow Warriors - Hellblaster.
  • Angels Revenant - Intercessor.

I like the look of the Accipiter, personally; though the Golden Halo is also cool. Seeing lots of lesser-known Chapters painted so nicely is a treat!

Absolutely lovely – the gorgeous painting almost goes without saying in the context of your other work; but it's particularly rewarding to see your Chapter recreated by another artist. Thank you! I also love the creative additions of the weapon badge and squad designation. In fact, I like 'em so much I'll roll those into the Chapter's background. 

I also completely support the principle of avoiding retouching. What are imperfections to one, are characterful to another. 

I like the look of the Accipiter, personally; though the Golden Halo is also cool. Seeing lots of lesser-known Chapters painted so nicely is a treat!

You need to stop complimenting my painting, my head barely gets through the door as it is :blush.: Wasn't even thinking you'd want to use the additions I made, that's quite the honour! Thank you, really.

Think the Accipiter's are one of my new pet favourites to be honest, there's hardly anything written about them and they just have such a cool colour scheme. Of course, it does seem that Connor Richardson (one of the 'Eavy Metal painters) has made them his chapter of choice so I'll inevitably compare mine to his even though I shouldn't!

Void Tridents. Would be cool.

Damn right it'd be cool. Think they'll be in the next wave :thumbsup:

I like the very old school vine of the rainbow warriors but if you are sick of blue I can see why. Would you be able to do a Dark Angel in robes? Otherwise maybe one of the brightly coloured chapters.

I'm not going to be converting these models much to be honest, I'm mostly just trying to get through what's left of my Know No Fear box so they're mostly going to be as is. Once I get to open my copy of Indomitus however, I'll probably start going full on to make them as unique as possible. I can kitbash with the best of them, but I need time to practice my greenstuff skills!

Did a vote over on my Instagram account and they unanimously voted for the Exorcists, so with the votes being so spread out here, I'll be doing them next. Can't say I'm disappointed :devil:

I found that first intercessor from the "Getting to know 40K" book I was talking about in my first post. This was painted in October 2019, and it took me almost a whole year to get around to painting the next model! Looking at this it's amazing to think how far I've come in such a (relative) short period of time.

EGl45il.jpg

Think this will be my last update before the new year, but wanted to get the Exorcist at least set up so I just have to start painting when I can get back to it. Still some mould lines to remove and the barrel to drill out (and priming obviously) but I wanted to see how he looks on the base for now. Desaturated the image so the different bitz weren't too jarring.

vgnVyHq.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found some time to block out the initial colours and start the panel lining. Going to be using this fella to practice a cleaner look, which is pretty much the opposite of the way I usually work :teehee: If anyone has any tips or tricks they'd like to impart I'd be most grateful!

uUTWwYd.jpg

Edited by _GingerBat_

I got a great little Christmas present in the post last week. I meant to post it a little earlier but some family drama got in the way. Look at how good a job _Gingerbat_ did! He is the image of his little brothers. He has captured the paint scheme perfectly and painted it in a way I wish I could have when I was painting the originals.

Phenomenal phenomenal job.

YVHnMvw.jpg

Edited by grailkeeper

Oh man he looks so at home next to his Brothers! So glad I could send it over, definitely belongs there rather than sitting on my shelf gathering dust!

Managed to get a bit more done on the Exorcist;

gMCUzTc.jpg

Still a bit more to be done, but I'm on the home stretch now. Need to up the contrast in the shadows (looks a bit flat in person) and clean up the highlights in the black areas and there's probably a few other things that I'll want to fix once I get into it.

Need to work out what to do with the base as well, I've gone with a blue/grey for the main but I'm stuck on the Demon head. Don't want to do red as it'll clash with the Exorcist, but my idea of black just got lost next to the rest... Sure I'll figure something out.

C&C welcome as always.

Boom!

t9EkT5D.jpg

As always, more photos are available here.

It'll probably be a while before I get to the next guy, but I'm considering changing the way I tackle getting through my backlog. I want to get a bit more involved with the conversions, which could mean breaking open the Indomitus box early (who saw that coming right?! :ohmy.:)

Anyway, let me know what you think, C&C and all that :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Took a bit of a break but I got the bug again and need your help! The original idea was to make as basic a marine as possible and use him as a test piece, so I went with the pointing arm; I was about ready to glue it all together when I saw the Lieutenants' bolter lying on my desk and wondered if it would be a better fit. Now I can't decide! I still really like the pointing pose, but the bolter is definitely rule of cool...

wWvbVdb.jpg

What do we think everyone, Bolter or Point?

The points have spoken! Though in typical fashion I have since changed the other arm instead...

ro0ldvo.jpg

Felt like the Power Fist wasn't working (almost like he was trying to hide it behind his back?!) so had a dig around for a better option and after test fitting this one it reminded me so much of a classic sculpt that I couldn't resist. He's going to be a Blood Angel I think.