Indomitus - Close to Perfection

Schurge

I got my Indomitus box a bit late because there was a hurricane in my area but I've finally got my hands on it. The Bladeguard Veterans are everything I could have wanted from Primaris loyalists models.

They've got a bit of an edge, there's a return to the gothic "knights in space" aesthetic, and unlike the other ETB kits that I've worked with (namely Chaos stuff) they don't have those large chunks of blank plastic that hold everything together. They actually look like multipart kits once you put them together. The various raised armor plates look like they were separate pieces glued on to them. I also like that they are very easy to magnetize.

Then I got to the Bladeguard Ancient. I actually like the look of him unlike a lot of people... he reminds me of a medieval Friar. That said, he only looks good from the front because they forgot to put a shoulderpad underneath his robe on his right arm and it bugged me enough to want to make this post.

All in all though, I am very happy with this boxed set. 

I love how it looks at 40k scale and AT scale, it's kinda perfect. I have no idea if they're any good in 40k anymore.  The tripod guys with the blades would be fine xenos knight proxies as well, I really like their weapons.

Edited by Fajita Fan

It is possible to get a shoulder pad onto the Judicia if you shave it down a little bit. I saw it done in one of my Discords and will probably do the same. Of all the models the Judicia is my least favorite, mostly because of the robe.

That said, he only looks good from the front because they forgot to put a shoulderpad underneath his robe on his right arm and it bugged me enough to want to make this post.

Part of me wonders if they're doing it as a nod back to the older patterns of armour, where the shoulder-pad on the left arm was larger than on the right, due to being reinforced, as it would be the one facing the enemy.  Whatever the reason, I'm not a fan of it. :/

Meh, I'm not a fan of this version of Primaris except for as BT/DA (and my DA Successor army doesn't include any Primaris because they were wiped out), so it certainly doesn't seem close to perfect at all.

The Assault Intercessors, Eradicators, and Outriders are Marines of all stripes. The Captain, Lieutenant, Ancient, and Bladeguard are comical, maybe except as BT, and the Judicator's face veil is bad, as are the under-armor tabard, holsters, and for some reason GW seems to have lost how to do decent swords, instead of sharp-sided popsicle sticks. They certainly aren't any of the First Foundings' style, the Ancient and Judicator are the closest to DA. The Chaplain would have been great, if it wasn't for the stupid under-armor front of a tabard.

All of it would take way too much work for me to make salvageable, but I'm sure the rules will be great to convert for (sadly still no options for additional weapons), so that's what I'm looking forward to doing (slowly building up parts toward being able to do so).

Why is the front cloth so bothersome? The armor they wear is (aside from being fictional) sealed and articulated. Why is it such a stretch that a cloth or robe or whatever can be attached under a chest plate while still maintaining the sealed environment the suit provides. Just because 13th century tabards we’re worn over the full front of the body, doesn’t mean any other type of decoration is therefore stupid or unfeasible. I mean medieval hoods changed and look different than what they started out as.

Also, the judiciar should have one shoulder guard due to his position as a swordsman. He doesn’t need a guard on his sword side, and being as a robe is restricting anyway, it’s realistic he would not wear his sleeve on that side either.

I don't believe I ever said that it was unfeasible - I have a lot of DA in robes and SW wearing furry pelts, and those are probably even more "unfeasible". Personally, for me the half tabard under the armor looks stupid - it just looks dumb and doesn't fit the great majority of the First Foundings at all. That's all there needs to be. Someone said that the kit was "near perfect" - I'm a dissenting voice saying "Not even close, and I thank GW for saving me money on a box." ;) I'm glad people are enjoying the box, and if they look right to you, great. I will always think that certain things look silly or even stupid on the models, and opponents will have to take a bit of light ribbing about their BT/DA being in the wrong colors, but your models, your deal.

I'm more than willing to convert my own versions of these guys out of bits and hopefully some Assault Intercessors (hopefully in a multiparty kit) to fit my view of my SW Great Company.

I got my Indomitus box a bit late because there was a hurricane in my area but I've finally got my hands on it. The Bladeguard Veterans are everything I could have wanted from Primaris loyalists models.

They've got a bit of an edge, there's a return to the gothic "knights in space" aesthetic, and unlike the other ETB kits that I've worked with (namely Chaos stuff) they don't have those large chunks of blank plastic that hold everything together. They actually look like multipart kits once you put them together. The various raised armor plates look like they were separate pieces glued on to them. I also like that they are very easy to magnetize.

Then I got to the Bladeguard Ancient. I actually like the look of him unlike a lot of people... he reminds me of a medieval Friar. That said, he only looks good from the front because they forgot to put a shoulderpad underneath his robe on his right arm and it bugged me enough to want to make this post.

All in all though, I am very happy with this boxed set. 

I couldn't agree more. I have been painting them up in BA colors, and I don't think I have ever had this much fun working on a model. Ever. 

Personally, for me the half tabard under the armor looks stupid - it just looks dumb and doesn't fit the great majority of the First Foundings at all.

Thought the same at first, but having seen it painted up in a little more of a realistic manner, I’m warming to it a bit. Would still rather they’d stuck with the older “from the belt” style, tho.

Because placing fabric under an airtight seal will break that seal.

So, hear me out. You put on abdominal armor. Then a chest piece. The top part of the chest piece locks onto the top part of the abdominal piece, creating an airtight seal. There is a tabard attached to the mid bottom section of the chest piece, in no way influencing the seal. Suspension of disbelief achieved lol.

@bryan blaire yeah I get where you’re coming from. I’d be more than a little disappointed if I was a Space Wolf player as the aesthetics don’t quite match.

as are the under-armor tabard

I like to think it’s not a full tabard but cloth that’s attached under a lip of the armor. Dunno, I thought marines wear a body glove that attaches to the black carapace and armor plates can attach over the top of that like real armor. They don’t have ceramite armor touching their skin. 

The new bikes are a huge improvement over the old ones and the chaplain is cool. Running poses on the troops are neat and Necrons look great.  Primaris jump packs are crappy though and I’m not a fan of the tanks.  

Edited by Fajita Fan

Meh, I'm not a fan of this version of Primaris except for as BT/DA (and my DA Successor army doesn't include any Primaris because they were wiped out), so it certainly doesn't seem close to perfect at all.

The Assault Intercessors, Eradicators, and Outriders are Marines of all stripes. The Captain, Lieutenant, Ancient, and Bladeguard are comical, maybe except as BT, and the Judicator's face veil is bad, as are the under-armor tabard, holsters, and for some reason GW seems to have lost how to do decent swords, instead of sharp-sided popsicle sticks. They certainly aren't any of the First Foundings' style, the Ancient and Judicator are the closest to DA. The Chaplain would have been great, if it wasn't for the stupid under-armor front of a tabard.

All of it would take way too much work for me to make salvageable, but I'm sure the rules will be great to convert for (sadly still no options for additional weapons), so that's what I'm looking forward to doing (slowly building up parts toward being able to do so).

While I don’t think it looks stupid per say, I definitely agree that these lend themselves to BT far above any other chapter. But then again, I thought the same thing about the sternguard when they first dropped. Space Wolves especially look off using the tabard models. I was missing the ornamentation of the classic marines in the first waves of primaris drops, and to be honest, I think they over did it a little. Much less of a blank slate than other Codex chapter kits.

I did my best to de-tabard the chaplain and it was a serious fight— pleased with my results though. My Judicar model converted from the ancient looks DA as hell, but I walked right into that one... Not looking forward to de-tabarding the blade guard. Might just run with it and alter my DIY chapter fluff.

There’s hits and misses for me in the kit. Overall I think the models are excellent, some don’t fit my chapter’s aesthetic but I’ve been coming up with some head cannon about them being the command/top ranking vets so the change from my overall clean look to more knightly works.

I really like the Judiciar robes/body and with a head swap he’d be fine as is, but the hour glass and sword pose bother me. I’ll probably replace the hour glass with some spare Necron bits for it to be stolen xeno archeotech and play around with chopping off his hand and working him into a more dynamic swinging pose for the arm. Lots of GS work ahead for that one.

I saw a conversion someone did of the Ancient into an Apothecary that I’m totally going to rip off as well. A servo arm, syringe and replacing the skeletal hand with some gene seed container is all he really needs. Maybe a couple of pistols. His helmet is amazing too, totally getting snagged for a new smash captain. He’ll have to make due with an eye lense one to inspect that freshly harvested geneseed. His banner would look awesome on a now venerable redemptor as well

The airtight seal is wayyyyy before you get to any of the armor panels. Space marines have this wetsuit kinda thing on that has all the moisture wicking/recycling/climate controls/network cabling that is an intermediate layer between the black carapace and exoskeletal frame that the armor plating is mounted on to. This might se changed with Primaris, though. Edited by Marshal Rohr