Indomitus - Close to Perfection

Schurge

The airtight seal is wayyyyy before you get to any of the armor panels. Space marines have this wetsuit kinda thing on that has all the moisture wicking/recycling/climate controls/network cabling that is an intermediate layer between the black carapace and exoskeletal frame that the armor plating is mounted on to. This might se changed with Primaris, though.

Having the Spear of the Emperor Collector's edition, it's still the same with Primaris. The Index Astartes that comes with it shows a Spear (appears to be the Battleguard that's on the cover of the normal edition) from "nude" to "fully geared" and the first stage shows the soft armour and mentions the airtight seal.

Can someone explain the cpt helm, visor up, where have the eye lense parts gone? Do the primaris helms work like Iron Man's one or something ? 

I think it's just wonky design.  The kernel of an interesting idea that wasn't fully thought through.

The blade guard ancient model looks really odd with the shoulder pad missing, surely they would not have forgotten it! Must have been some kind of mold engineering issue preventing them from including it in the design.

No, thats a design issue but they liked the concept over if it would work with the model in reality. Only time one shoulder pad works well is if its battle damaged look, or if its a WE with one swole arm (re: Khârn). I might have to battle dmg the one shoulder pad guys to justify a missing pad. 

Can someone explain the cpt helm, visor up, where have the eye lense parts gone? Do the primaris helms work like Iron Man's one or something ?

Was wondering the same thing. I kind of assume the idea is that the eye lens section retracts into the top or bottom of the helmet.

What about the Reivers/Incursers? They pretty much have one pad, and I can’t recall much flak from the community about that— it was mainly the shin armour.

Shin armour and one pad I remember people complaining about both just as much.

People definitely complained about the mismatched pad design of the phobos marines as well as the short trouser look, but at least it makes a _little_ sense given the idea is it's lightweight armour for stealthy shenanigans. The missing pad on the judiciar doesn't look right, so I'm going to be giving him one, along with a headswap. (the champion pad works particularly well for him with a little trimming). The new chaplain is much nicer than the general primaris one, but I'm quite tempted to convert him into a Lemartes count-as, and re-use the head elsewhere. I haven't decided what to do with the Ancient yet, but he also is going to get some tweaks.

The open captain helm isn't good, but at least you have the choice with him.

I can see why the whole partial tabard design doesn't fit with some chapters, but it definitely does with BA, as do kickass bikes, so I'm happy with the box overall!

The airtight seal is wayyyyy before you get to any of the armor panels. Space marines have this wetsuit kinda thing on that has all the moisture wicking/recycling/climate controls/network cabling that is an intermediate layer between the black carapace and exoskeletal frame that the armor plating is mounted on to. This might se changed with Primaris, though.

Having the Spear of the Emperor Collector's edition, it's still the same with Primaris. The Index Astartes that comes with it shows a Spear (appears to be the Battleguard that's on the cover of the normal edition) from "nude" to "fully geared" and the first stage shows the soft armour and mentions the airtight seal.

id love to see that art, sounds really interesting!

I am with the OP on this.

At first I was not going to get the box, since I still do not really like Primaris Marines....

but then I fell in love with the miniatures and the potential of what I could do with them.

I actually really like the crusader look and I especially like the Ancient and the Judicar.

And I do not really care about tabards and open seals...

For me, this is more Fantasy make belief than hard sci-fi.

After all, we have space knights charging into battle with swords, when the real space battles most likely would be decided from orbit by pressing a button.

Originally, i thought of converting all of the miniatures to Chaos, but then thought better of it- Now I am really happy I could divide the box 3 ways.

I took the Bladeguard for my small loyalist force, the plain and boring Primaris were really easy and fun to convert to Chaos, plus as a bonus I also got some Necrons to play with as my first ever Xenos force (I have been playing for 20 years now).

All miniatures were of really good quality, full of detail and they fit really well together. I had no issues.

I am really pleasantly surprised.

For me, this was a perfect deal for a really good price (for GW products that is).

I ordered a second wave box from GW and found one at my local GW. Haven’t canceled the second and I’m think of keeping it to be honest. I heard it’s 995 points of ‘Crons so I’ve basically got 2k without a monolith or transport. Maybe just a for-fun foot army?

I don’t like the big rectangular holsters on the Bladeguard but whether you love/hate Primaris this guy is just too cool. I love the helmet up.

e03fcc50-primaris-captain-white.jpg

I love the big front holsters as they're both very gothic grimdark tacticool and also reminiscent of Renaissance/pirate pistol braces where even with a single pistol it'd be humongous, and some dudes were just strapped with multiple single-shot guns. I didn't realize how good they look without them though, I do think they look a little better without them as they look more like the original Space Marine veteran models, but I still love the way they look with them.

But think of how much better they’d look with the pistol molded to their hip like a magclamp. Right now that looks more like a cardboard shoebox hanging off their belt.

I’m also thinking of how to embellish my Necrons and I have a box of Lizardmen bits (who use a Necron claw) so maybe a mesoamerican dynasty? I need to open those boxes because a fellow member needs some cataphractii lightning claws.

The problem with the holster on the bladeguard is both its so oversized  and the placement is distracting.  Its a huge near rectangular box stuck right on the front of the marine, it doesnt look right.

Part of the problem is on miniatures of this scale, oversized weapons look good, but oversized holsters, pouches and other stowage doesn't.  So if you choose to size the holster directly to the actual weapon, it can look odd (especially if you slap the holster right out on the front of the model).

The problem with the holster on the bladeguard is both its so oversized and the placement is distracting. Its a huge near rectangular box stuck right on the front of the marine, it doesnt look right.

Part of the problem is on miniatures of this scale, oversized weapons look good, but oversized holsters, pouches and other stowage doesn't. So if you choose to size the holster directly to the actual weapon, it can look odd (especially if you slap the holster right out on the front of the model).

At least it looks like these guys can move. Some of the bling on the Sternguard Veterans would prevent them from being able to stand up straight.

I like the big holsters, personally. They contain large pistols!

Edited by Ishagu

Sternguard, what have they go to do with anything?  I think they may have an easier time moving with just loincloth rather than a giant holster over their leg joint :lol:

Good to know you like large rectangular boxes stuck on the front of your minis though hehe.

A poor comparison though, because Sternguard don't have a giant metal pistol in holster blocking their leg movements, they just have a bit of cloth.

There comes a point when you should just be able to discuss flaws and plus points of Primaris models on their own merits.  

But they don't just have cloth, do they?

They have metal spike attachments around their thighs, metal bits hanging off all over the place, etc.

Some of them would be unable to stand up straight. That's a bigger criticism than a subjectively big holster.

You think it's too big and that's fine. It doesn't take away significantly from the models in my opinion. In fact I think it looks suitable for the impressive pistols that they have holstered. Maybe the full kit will have further pistol option too.

Edited by Ishagu

The cloth is the only thing major thing on their legs though.  2 of them have iron garters (metal spike thing), but this is just a minor armour decoration and is thin, there is no conceivable way that it would affect their movements.  They have marksman bolter icons and small terminator honours common to space marines hanging off them, and some braiding, but nothing large or heavy.  Claiming they wouldn't be able to stand up straight based on the above is absurd, imo.