Indomitus - Close to Perfection

Schurge

-][- Removed due to being off topic by own admission -][- BCC

-on topic-

It's a nice set, not without its flaws, the bias toward a temparesque style was a poor choice when they're then marketed as ultramarines IMO, the models are mostly nice, although i'm still not convinced about the judicar or the ancient having them in hand now (and i straight up threw away the head of the judicar, its so bad i didnt even want it in my bits box haha). I think the missing pauldron worked okay for phobos but seems really weird on these two models. The bladeguard are a nice veteran style unit, i'm not a huge fan of the swords (have replaced them on my ones) and the holsters would have been better at their hip or back than at the crotch, but makes sense for a sidearm that is as large as a mortals rifle. The eradicators are a good gravis armour unit, much better than the aggressors in a similar way to how garadon is better than the generic gravis captain. I suppose it's the belt (although i still think no belt could work if it was just a bit more sleak). The bikes are great, and I like the assault intercessors a lot too.The captain is not brilliant, the pose is odd and the shield sucks as it takes impractibility to a new level.

I’ll be looking at how I can trim down the holsters on mine or mount them inside the shield (the way they should be mounted IMO).

thats a neat idea! Edited by battle captain corpus

seriously, why is it that every thread i go into seems to be Ishagu and Robbienw arguing... One of you likes primaris and doesn't want to hear a bad thing said about them, the other likes to point out negatives about them at every opportunity. Maybe just block eachother?

I’ll be looking at how I can trim down the holsters on mine or mount them inside the shield (the way they should be mounted IMO). 

thats a neat idea!

Am I totally wrong in that it's how the 30k boarding shields are modeled?  Isn't there a pistol mounted to the inside?  Maybe I'm just dreaming because that's totally how I would mount my pistol if I were a shield-sporting power armor-wearing sword-wielding space marine.

A question I do have about this box set is the massive hardback rulebook; traditionally we get a small paperback rulebook in starter sets but I guess we can assume this is no longer a starter set but a "new edition intro box" or some variant thereof?  The huge hardback isn't my favorite style, this would've been a cool time for GW to throw us a bone and give us an iBooks code for an iPad version.  

Edited by Fajita Fan

seriously, why is it that every thread i go into seems to be Ishagu and Robbienw arguing... One of you likes primaris and doesn't want to hear a bad thing said about them, the other likes to point out negatives about them at every opportunity. Maybe just block eachother?

thats a neat idea!

Am I totally wrong in that it's how the 30k boarding shields are modeled?  Isn't there a pistol mounted to the inside?  Maybe I'm just dreaming because that's totally how I would mount my pistol if I were a shield-sporting power armor-wearing sword-wielding space marine.

A question I do have about this box set is the massive hardback rulebook; traditionally we get a small paperback rulebook in starter sets but I guess we can assume this is no longer a starter set but a "new edition intro box" or some variant thereof?  The huge hardback isn't my favorite style, this would've been a cool time for GW to throw us a bone and give us an iBooks code for an iPad version.

Don’t the new starter sets to be released have a much more condensed rule book? Thought I read that somewhere. Indomitus was always touted as a celebratory kit to bring in 9th.

thats a neat idea!

Boarding shields don't have pistols behind them, neither the old Badab War era 40K rectangular ones nor the current 30K Mk III ones. What they do have is a notch at the top left which allows the wielder to brace their bolter/meltagun/lascutter/etc and fire through the shield.

You may be thinking of the normal combat shield that Assault Marines have, which is much smaller but features a built-in bolt pistol on the interior, or maybe one of the newer 30K units like the Ultramarines Suzerain who have a similar built-in bolt pistol with extended magazine behind their giant slab shields.

I don’t like the big rectangular holsters on the Bladeguard but whether you love/hate Primaris this guy is just too cool. I love the helmet up.

e03fcc50-primaris-captain-white.jpg

Eh he's alright. The Sculpt overall is great but I want to know how the Jes thinks that tabard works without getting sheared off by the cuirass. The model would be a 10/10 without the gut tabard, but with it it goes down to a 6/10 really. Jes should take pointers from the FW crew sculpting the First. :wink:

People definitely complained about the mismatched pad design of the phobos marines as well as the short trouser look, but at least it makes a _little_ sense given the idea is it's lightweight armour for stealthy shenanigans. The missing pad on the judiciar doesn't look right, so I'm going to be giving him one, along with a headswap. (the champion pad works particularly well for him with a little trimming). The new chaplain is much nicer than the general primaris one, but I'm quite tempted to convert him into a Lemartes count-as, and re-use the head elsewhere. I haven't decided what to do with the Ancient yet, but he also is going to get some tweaks.

The open captain helm isn't good, but at least you have the choice with him.

I can see why the whole partial tabard design doesn't fit with some chapters, but it definitely does with BA, as do kickass bikes, so I'm happy with the box overall!

The open helm is great and literally one of the oldest design concepts for power armor by Jes Goodwin. The visor on MK VI raises completely and why it looks separate from the cranium, it is.

Edited by Volt

I think the same reason the Dark Angels wear robes, it's more of a design choice than being practical. If I were to try and rationalise it I'd suggest that it was more like a Scapular so that it was hung over the shoulders of ribbed bodysuit then the torso armour was applied over the top.

It's just to drive home the warrior monk theme with tones of the Crusades thrown in. In real life it represented the yoke so in this case I guess you could say they are bearing the yoke of the Emperor?

I actually find it weirder power armour has leather effect belts. :D

Fajita Fan, while the shields don't include them per se, it is something that probably a lot of people has done, me included, as the shields provide a lot of empty space on their inner surface for adding bits.

As for the loincloth issue with the bladeguard, captain and lieutenant, I will probably try two options: either I trim the abdominal section and sculpt a flat armour piece to make it a regular loincloth; or maybe I go the other way around and sculpt a torso cloth section to convert it into a surcoat/scapula/glorified apron :D.

And as for the captain's helmet, at least for me the issue is more with the weird mask he is wearing under the helmet, I actually think the moving faceplate is a good nod to knightly helmets.

Edited by Elzender

I think the same reason the Dark Angels wear robes, it's more of a design choice than being practical. If I were to try and rationalise it I'd suggest that it was more like a Scapular so that it was hung over the shoulders of ribbed bodysuit then the torso armour was applied over the top.

It's just to drive home the warrior monk theme with tones of the Crusades thrown in. In real life it represented the yoke so in this case I guess you could say they are bearing the yoke of the Emperor?

I actually find it weirder power armour has leather effect belts. :biggrin.:

My point is more alluding to the purpose of a tabard itself. It's a garb whose purpose is to be worn over armor. It's meant to go on top of armor. Why then put armor on top of it. It's silly.

Then again, I can't fathom why people have such huge issues with the holsters either....

It's kind of like how soldiers wear their flak over their utility uniform. I know it's a bit apples to oranges, but the concept is the same. Hard over soft can make sense. "Tabards are meant to go over the armor," well, it IS over the armor from the abdomen down. Securing it with a removable chest plate shouldn't seem that strange. It's weirder to have billowing and flimsy cloth flapping around over ceramite power armor like the BT and DA do.

They have done it this way because it looks cool as hell. Remember, we’re talking 8’ tall super humans from the far future in miniature form. We’re playing with toys here, after all. They’re meant to be cool. It doesn’t need to be anything more than that.

Again, it's great that this opinion exists - it's just that though, an opinion. My opinion is exactly the opposite, I think the way they have done it, with the half-tabard under armor thing with a freaking leather belt (why, the apparently segmented adamantium/metallic one wasn't good enough to have on the outside of fabric!?) looks as, or more, ridiculous/stupid as the half armored shins and calves of the Phobos armor.

So my response to these toys is to snicker and possibly lightly mock them as DA/BT cosplayers from other Chapters. I have zero desire to own the GW made Bladeguard for any Chapter I paint - even the Unforgiven and BA - I'm already having to work to fix the Phobos armor on about 45-50 Marines, don't need to try and redo the Bladeguard on top of that.

I have zero desire to own the GW made Bladeguard for any Chapter I paint - even the Unforgiven and BA - I'm already having to work to fix the Phobos armor on about 45-50 Marines, don't need to try and redo the Bladeguard on top of that.

It’s a grind and a half to salvage their knee caps and their chest plates, those along with the helmets of the GW models being the big identifier for Bladeguard outside of the tabbards. Shameless plug:

oyX84B.jpg

Edited by KBA

They have done it this way because it looks cool as hell. Remember, we’re talking 8’ tall super humans from the far future in miniature form. We’re playing with toys here, after all. They’re meant to be cool. It doesn’t need to be anything more than that.

Again, it's great that this opinion exists - it's just that though, an opinion. My opinion is exactly the opposite, I think the way they have done it, with the half-tabard under armor thing with a freaking leather belt (why, the apparently segmented adamantium/metallic one wasn't good enough to have on the outside of fabric!?) looks as, or more, ridiculous/stupid as the half armored shins and calves of the Phobos armor.

So my response to these toys is to snicker and possibly lightly mock them as DA/BT cosplayers from other Chapters. I have zero desire to own the GW made Bladeguard for any Chapter I paint - even the Unforgiven and BA - I'm already having to work to fix the Phobos armor on about 45-50 Marines, don't need to try and redo the Bladeguard on top of that.

Completely agree.

I LIKE that the Primaris models to date have been relatively plain - I’ve got an entire company of Blood Angels covered in bling, which is absolutely fine. I just want to keep my first-born marines and my Primaris marines completely separate.

I like that the new kids on the block all have matching marks of armour and less ornamentation than the hodge-podge collection of armour assembled over millennia. It’s a clean break from the past.

For some reason, the added ornamentation of the Bladeguard stuff looks almost completely BT. The tabards, the bones and holy ornaments, the fact that the storm shields look like crucifixes. There’s a Maltese cross moulded into the Captains helmet. All completely over the top religious ornamentation to my eyes. Doesn’t look particularly cool to me, it looks a little try hard.

Luckily I’ve got enough Capts & Lts, and I can probably make do without the Chaplain, Judiciar and Bladeguard. Now I’ve assembled them, they look so out of place with the rest of my Primaris force and I’m seriously considering getting rid.

I thought Jes Goodwin had said that the whole point of Primaris was to leave them plain and to let the individual add ornamentation to personal taste?