Indomitus - Close to Perfection

Schurge

It's only the Bladeguard, who are after all veterans, who have the excessive bling and crusader look. The rest of the marines in the box are pretty plain. The only bling they all seem to share is the symbol on their left gauntlet. I think it works having that one squad of guys as the centrepiece of your army, it creates a nice contrast and emphasis. You can imagine the Bladeguard strutting off the ramp of a Thunderhawk, and all the other Marines whispering to each other "Damn dude, it's the Bladeguard! One day I'm gonna have armour that sweet..."

I'm the same way- The reason I got back into the hobby was because I liked the more subtle approach of Primaris designs. I seem to remember browsing the GW site in around 2014-15 and thinking "Christ, why have they gone so overboard on the space-medieval thing?" It was there in the past, sure, but it was subtle and mainly only on veterans and HQ units. The Primaris marines represent the goofy little guys I collected when I was a kid, except now the models actually look as good as they do in your imagination.

As long as we don't suddenly have every other model wearing a tabard I'm down with it.

My point is more alluding to the purpose of a tabard itself. It's a garb whose purpose is to be worn over armor. It's meant to go on top of armor. Why then put armor on top of it. It's silly.

Then again, I can't fathom why people have such huge issues with the holsters either....

Well to be honest we don't really know if it is under the armour but over the body suit or attached to to the bottom edge of the torso armour to be fair. The original intent of Tabards was to distinguish knights in battle but while they covered the armour they were more like a jacket and extended only as far as just below the waist. It's one of those misconceptions that get adopted as the norm for 40k.

What Astartes wear is more in line with the Monastic Scapular which was supposed to represent taking on the yoke of Christ but adapted with modern interpretations of fantasy knights or movie Knights. I personally think that this is just the latest incarnation or interpation of the Imperial design.

It's kind of like how soldiers wear their flak over their utility uniform. I know it's a bit apples to oranges, but the concept is the same. Hard over soft can make sense. "Tabards are meant to go over the armor," well, it IS over the armor from the abdomen down. Securing it with a removable chest plate shouldn't seem that strange. It's weirder to have billowing and flimsy cloth flapping around over ceramite power armor like the BT and DA do.

Not that strange. Even with the Dark Angels comment. They're based on Monastic Knights. And the robes are evocative of both monastic robes and Knightly surcoats:

854.jpg

fh-hero-portrait-2018-knights-warden.jpg

So the Bladeguard make sense because of the whole thing with Marines being "Monastic Knights in Space"

Here’s the thing though - are Astartes “Monastic Knights in space”?

Some chapters certainly are. I’d argue that the majority are not. There are some similarities, granted, but less DA and BT, the majority really aren’t.

Virtually all chapters have chaplains, they're headquartered in Fortress-monasteries, they have reclusiams full of chapter relics etc etc

The monastic monk/knight theme runs through virtually all chapters.

I could be wrong but the one thing I do like about this set is that it implies there are other types of Chaplain. It seems like the bones/ribs on the lower edge are the theme of the Reclusiam.

Eh, I'm modelling artistic yet blood thirsty space vampires riding around in floating space pickup trucks that have a habit of naming every fricking thing 'blood-something'. They think the ideal chestplate has nipples, and already like to hang cloth banners off their groins, so the bladeguard fit right in as-is.

I mean, this is an ordinary tactical squad just hanging out. With their groin banners.

99120101122_BATacticalSquad01.jpg

Edited by Arkhanist