Marneus Calgar (Marvel Comics)

It was ok.

Nothing breathtaking and I'm still not sold on why Calgar and not someone else (and more interesting, imho).

Liking those little world building bits they've added when introducing worlds and such.

Edited by Kelborn

Read it, loved it. The best that GW have ever managed in comic book format by miles. I know legions of people detest marvel and Disney but I think they produce some mighty stuff. I had reservations about it being a smurf comic but I can’t find fault. I really hope this draws in a lot of new readers interested in the 40k universe. Can’t find circulation figures for it on comichron but I think they are all up the left with the plague. Still cool start. Farmers in 40k oh yea

• 3 weeks later...
Just went through it. A more powerful version of the Archamus twist with better set-up. It also has some similarity to Alexis Polux's origin, but was delivered with more impact.

The Archamus twist involved a competent boy being killed by another competent boy's momentary carelessness.

Calgar's origin is more powerful in my opinion.

You can imagine how the weaker, squire-like companion of the stronger, socially superior boy would be affected by the latter's choice to treat him always with honour and kindness. The stronger boy ultimately ends up saving him on more than one occasion before dying in a final effort.

This gives us the defining lesson absorbed by Calgar: how a man chooses to use his superior strength ultimately determines his character.

Didn't see the Crixus twist coming at all

This would've made a great premise for a Marneus Calgar origin novel. Edited by b1soul

Something in the overall tone of the comic feels a little off to me, especially when it comes to the Mech adepts.

With that said, the twist at the end of #2 was pretty good and does a lot for Calgar's character in my eyes.

I've never found him particularly interesting, but that is a cool backstory.

Edited by The_Bloody

I liked the bit where

the techpriest blurts out some speculation on the possibility of basically manufacturing another 'Calgar-level' astartes officer  through the right set of social circumstances before going 'whoops, that wasn't for external speakers'.:tongue.: 

Also more James Stokoe art at the end, woooooo.

• 2 weeks later...

Issue 2 is another knock out from Gillen. Only thing I do t like is the cover art.

They really could do with a sharper strap line at the start. They have cut down the traditional BL intro but it could be better. Marvel did the brilliant extract from the Nemedian Chronicles that starts each Conan which still gives me chills. Something poetically snappy like that would be great. BL and the electric games are being pushed heavily. It will be interesting to see if we get readers mail before this short season finishes.

All in all brilliant stuff.

More Marvel / BL tie up with David Annandale doing a Doom novel. DA hasn’t been my favourite but Doom is a firm favourite of mine. Interesting link up

Edited by Knockagh

I have to admit I liked the comic book, keeping in mind it's a comic book, and has to appeal to a certain primary audience. 

Calgar is cool. The background story is a bit blah. Kind of goofy.... but the it's more about Marneus so it's excusable I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest edition is out. I found it very exciting. The art work is great- particularly the power fists are being used on heretics!

i enjoyed it too. the economy of story telling is really impressive, and it's actually a great gateway point for new readers to 40k

the quotes continue to be my favourite bits

"praise the emperor! guilliman walks amongst us once more! oh blessed are we to live in such a time of miracles!"- last words of priest avunnius potus, before being caught in a support barrage from the ardium 34th

perfect 40k black comedy

Edited by mc warhammer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Not sure if anyone else is a member of marvel unlimited but Calgar has just been released on it. I got membership of this for Christmas and it’s going to save me a small fortune. I had nowhere to store comics really and they just kept building up making them impossible to keep accessible. Not a fan of ebooks but I have to say comics really fit this format very well. Too well, far to easy to binge read.

• 1 month later...

I've seen some Lord of the Skulls / Calgar memes. Stopped reading the comic with Issue 3 I believe dut to loosing overall interest.

What's up with that?

Is the comic itself still good? I remember being quite ok with it. Nothing breathtaking though.