Inquisitorial Fortress "Veritas": Narrative Scenario

Atrus

You know I just realised, there's no place on the forum to discuss/show off terrain. I could be wrong?

Anyways, I've been working on my terrain a little each year whenever I get sick and this year I finally finished the last of my terrain to complete my Inquisitorial Fortress!

20200717_203210.jpg

This pleases me as I love a table full of nice terrain and it means me and a buddy can play a big game scenario I've been working on.

Instead of a standard deployment, I wanted a game where the players are jumping in at the climactic part of the battle; the battle has been raging, lines are breaking or have broken.

So the defender sets up their army anywhere on the board. Then the attacker sets up anywhere on the board no closer than 6" to a defender's unit.

Considering alternating deployment as an alternative.

Scoring VP:

From the second turn onwards, players score 1VP for each objective they control at the start of their Command Phase.

Benefits:

Each objective has a benefit bonus that can be used throughout the battle. A player may gain this benefit if they have the following:

• Control the Objective

• Have an INFANTRY HQ or Elite unit within 3" of the Objective Perform An Action on the Objective during the players Command Phase.

Objectives:

Ecclesiarchy Chapel

• Benefit: controlling player army may reroll failed Ld and Attrition. Attrition reroll must be all or nothing. Additionally, opposing army suffers -1 to Ld tests.

Defence Control

• Benefit: controlling player may fire all base turrets and defensive weapons. These are resolved at BS5+

Main Fortress

• Benefit: controlling player may fire fortress weapons. These are resolved at BS5+. Additionally, whenever the opponent uses a stratagem, roll a d6. On a 5+ the controlling player gains 1CP. Only 1CP may be gain this way each turn.

Landing Pad

• Benefit: controlling player may bring reinforcements directly onto the landing pad during the reinforcement step of their movement phase. Reinforcements brought on this way may be deployed within 9" of enemy units, up to 1".

Power Generator

• Benefit: controlling player may activate or deactivate base fortification void shielding. If activated, intact Buildings gain a 5+ invulnerable save. Units on building battlements also benefit from the 5+ invulnerable save.

Detainment Facility

• Benefit: controlling player may secure or release the Detainment Facility. If released, during the reinforcements step of their movement phase, the Attacker may place one INFANTRY Troop unit that has been destroyed onto the battlefield wholly within 3" of the Detainment Facility as if disembarking from a transport.

Tactical Bunker

• Benefit: once per turn, the controlling player may lower the cost of a stratagem they use by 1CP to a minimum of 1CP.

Edited by Atrus

Managed to playtest this tonight. Had a 3000pt game.

I eventually decided to go with alternating deployment as it would both give the picture of a collapsed defense desperately trying to regain control, and to give both players incentive to really strategize their positioning and objective priority.

Deploying up to 6" of opponent units and having such a full board made for a really tense game that got stuck in from the get go.

I prioritised holding the main fortress and tactical bunker to supplement my lack of CP due to the insane amount I used to make my army. The defense control to supplement the fact I had less guns on the field than my opponent who was very infantry heavy. Also the chapel to try and influence the morale tests my opponent would be making.

My opponent made sure they secured the Detainment Facility which over the course of the 2 turns we got to play before finishing due to it being after midnight, he managed to bring back 2 troop units I had managed to destroy and was beginning to build up a really solidly controlled corner of the board which would have taken some serious effort to dislodge over the course of the game.

The benefits of the objectives were nice little bonuses. We didn't find them to be too powerful. Controlling all the base defences did help me out a little, but not enough to overwhelm or be unfair to opponent.

Opponent regaining destroyed troops was an interesting challenge to face and really made me want to get him off there.

The power generator was a hotly contested point, if he had gotten it he would have made sure to get the shields up on the buildings so give a good portion of his army on the landing pad and the Detainment Facility that invulnerable save which would've been a challenge I didn't want to have to deal with.

Still needs more playtesting, but this was fun and interesting and I'm hopeful that it'll be a good scenario.

• 1 month later...