Legion Hussars

Chaos bikers fit the new Night Lords biker Rite of War like a glove. Hell, they even have seats made of Flayed skin. Not only that, but the anvillius-pattern backpack are era appropriate. Only the torsos and two of the heads cannot be used.

What else can you ask for?

Sarum-pattern helmets. Boom :lol:

Reading through the rules again, they’re basically just a very mobile tactical squad right?

I think that’s a better comparison that asking how they stack up against Outriders or even Sky Slayers?

That’s essentially my take on them.

A thematic way to spread out and cap OBJ across the board, and/or sneak in some mobility to RoWs of Legions that restrict other slots.

The Hit and Run with the Raven Guards' Furious Charge on bikers will be nice - getting off a charge, withdrawing and hopefully getting subsequent charges will help whittle down targets of opportunity without getting bogged down 

I would love to see them as a separate resin kit. Would be annoying to have an upgrade kit when outriders are sold in 3 and not 5.

Maybe with a different pattern of bike and armour on the riders too? Given the Outriders are explicitly described as scouting units, the MkIV and sleeker prows are a nice visual tie-in, but something a bit more brutal looking with MkII or MkIII could be cool (I'm a big fan of the aesthetics of the Primaris Outrider bikes)

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

I don't think that the rotor cannons are *that* bad, just not worth 10 points per bike. As others have mentioned, they're essentially a mobile tactical squad, which has better synergy for some legions than others; typically legions with buffs in melee.

Personally the ranged weapons are not a big factor as the ability to jink (and therefore imposing snap shots) is very useful if anything AP3 or higher is directed at them. If that does happen then a 4+ save is great and it means those nasty weapons aren't targeting more important units. 

These will be great for getting on objectives or flanking to soften up units.

Making them stand out would be cool. I really don't like the old plastic bike kit, so I think it would be better to do the whole thing in resin if they don't do them as a new plastic kit.

Tbh of the two new bike units, I think Sky Seekers are much more likely to get a kit as their clearly different. You could represent Hussars with the Outrider kit and some weapon upgrades / spare plastic parts from Tactical kits.

The Hit and Run with the Raven Guards' Furious Charge on bikers will be nice - getting off a charge, withdrawing and hopefully getting subsequent charges will help whittle down targets of opportunity without getting bogged down 

I would love to see them as a separate resin kit. Would be annoying to have an upgrade kit when outriders are sold in 3 and not 5.

Maybe with a different pattern of bike and armour on the riders too? Given the Outriders are explicitly described as scouting units, the MkIV and sleeker prows are a nice visual tie-in, but something a bit more brutal looking with MkII or MkIII could be cool (I'm a big fan of the aesthetics of the Primaris Outrider bikes)

Yeah the outriders are too tacticool looking for a direct frontline generalist unit like the Hussars appear to be going for. A chonker bike with a mk III rider would suit so many legions well. In 40k, outriders are also a bit too high tech looking to use for CSM bike squads IMO, a more low spec chunky looking one would be more appropriate there as well. I hope its a separate unit also. 

I'd already been meaning to do my large bunch of chaos bikers as Iron Warriors, this confirms it. Anyone know of tutorials for converting MkIII to riding stances?

I also think I have the old Obliterator assault cannon bit knocking around which would be ideal for the snub rotor cannon - does the full squad have to be so upgraded? Do they get any other options outside of the Sgt?

I'd already been meaning to do my large bunch of chaos bikers as Iron Warriors, this confirms it. Anyone know of tutorials for converting MkIII to riding stances?

I also think I have the old Obliterator assault cannon bit knocking around which would be ideal for the snub rotor cannon - does the full squad have to be so upgraded? Do they get any other options outside of the Sgt?

Full squad has to be upgraded, yes. 

Kromlech do 'Legionary biker legs' which match MKII pretty closely, I've used them before and they fit the chaos marine bikes very well

At the risk of being excessively negative, I'm struggling to see a role for these that isn't done better by another unit. Very specifically, they seem to be completely outclassed by Skyseekers.

They also exist as Support Troops and come in with an identical statline. However they get the benefit of moving over cover and a better gun. They have the option of being a cheap squad of 3, cost the same for 5, and are actually cheaper in a big squad. And this is all ignoring the Oracle Array which is completely incomparable.

The only upside seems to be the swap from Scout to Hit & Run, but I really don't think that makes up for the multitude of bonuses the Skyseekers hold. Especially since I would not consider them as a good melee unit to begin with.

It's a cool concept for a unit but the execution is not great. Unless I've missed something, it seems to be very much a fluffy unit rather than something with tabletop benefits.

At the risk of being excessively negative, I'm struggling to see a role for these that isn't done better by another unit. Very specifically, they seem to be completely outclassed by Skyseekers.

They also exist as Support Troops and come in with an identical statline. However they get the benefit of moving over cover and a better gun. They have the option of being a cheap squad of 3, cost the same for 5, and are actually cheaper in a big squad. And this is all ignoring the Oracle Array which is completely incomparable.

The only upside seems to be the swap from Scout to Hit & Run, but I really don't think that makes up for the multitude of bonuses the Skyseekers hold. Especially since I would not consider them as a good melee unit to begin with.

It's a cool concept for a unit but the execution is not great. Unless I've missed something, it seems to be very much a fluffy unit rather than something with tabletop benefits.

I think you're right.  The fact that the Hussars don't get a discount on additional bodies in kinda maddening.  If they could all take melta bombs we may have something going here, but to your point everything they can do Skyseekers can do with the benefit of being on a jetbike and as cheap or cheaper in comparable sized-squads AND they have an incredible buffing ability in the Oracle array.

I really really wanted to like these...but as is they're pretty disappointing.

I think you're right. The fact that the Hussars don't get a discount on additional bodies in kinda maddening. If they could all take melta bombs we may have something going here, but to your point everything they can do Skyseekers can do with the benefit of being on a jetbike and as cheap or cheaper in comparable sized-squads AND they have an incredible buffing ability in the Oracle array.

I really really wanted to like these...but as is they're pretty disappointing.

For combat legions, particularly World Eaters and Emperor's Children, the hit and run is huge and might be enough to warrant taking them. Getting back rage, reroll 1's to wound, and maybe hatred for WE and getting the initiative and phoenix spear boosts for EC are great. Plus, overall hit and run is really an amazing rule.

Hit and run is like, the second most powerful usr after infiltrate.

The hussars are very focussed on being melee units that score. You build them accordingly and throw them against normal, non melee-elite units. You can whittle them down and use the combat as a shield from shooting. Any shooting that does target them (including overwatch) has to get through jink.

Sky seekers have the distinct problem of wanting to use the Oracle array as much as possible, which means being visible to the enemy and not in combat. They're a shooting support unit that can score, but has to take risks to take advantage of their value.

Two completely different units really.

I'm interested in builds that capitalise on their ability to repeat charge/ first round of combat buffs - a unit of Raven Guard Hussars with a Chaplain get +1 Strength on the charge, get to re-roll all failed rolls to hit for the first round, and can then withdraw so they never have to fight a round of combat without those boosts.