Tallarn Tanks and Airborne support!.

redmapa

Im about to finish this army and I would like to get some tips on how you think I might improve it for this new edition. Right off the bat I think in the future I should add a second Manticore for more LoS ignoring damage and somehow get some orders for my infantry BUT I do like to focus on tanks so that may be hard to do.

+ HQ +

Tank Commander: Battle Cannon, Lascannon

Tank Commander: Lascannon, Plasma Cannons, Turret-mounted Executioner Plasma Cannon

Tank Commander: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon

+ Troops +

6x Infantry Squad w/ Flamer

+ Fast Attack + 

Armored Sentinel Squadron: 3x Sentinels, 3x Missiles and 3x Hunter Killer Missiles

Armored Sentinel Squadron: 3x Sentinels, 3x Autocannons

+ Heavy Support +

Leman Russ Squadron

-LR Battle Tank: Battlecannon, 3x Heavy Bolter

-LR Punisher:  Punisher Gatling Cannon, 3x Heavy Bolter

Leman Russ Executioner, Lascannon, 2x Plasma Cannons

Manticore

Patrol Detachment

+ HQ +

Tempestor Prime: Power Fist, Rod of Command

+ Troops +

2x Scion Squad: 2x Hot-Shot lasgun, 2x Plasma Gun, Sergeant w/ Plasma Pistol

+ Elite +

Command Squad: 4x Meltaguns

So for the Imperial Guard batallion they'll be using Tallarn rules because speed seems essential for 9th and the ability to have Russes advancing and firing sounds top tier even if they lose Grinding Advance. For the Tempestus Scions Im not 100% sure but Iotan Dragoons seem good for a deep strike heavy army, I wanted to give them the Kappic Eagles rules but I dont have any transports to make the most of that. I will start with 10CP which is ok considering the mobility Scions can add.

I would add basilisks before more manticores. And use the points you save there to add some company commanders. Turn it into a brigade by splitting some of those sentinels up and taking each Russ as its own unit. Then you can add two company commanders,which is better than nothing. I guess you need elites....if sponsons are optional for you I would get rid of some, it's roughly 75 pts to fill out elites(platoon commanders or astropaths are good) Failing that, you might need to shave off a Russ. Use those points to fill out elites and get some company commanders for your brigade.

As far as scions go, Iotan Gorgonnes would work well for transportless dudes. They have the stratagem which lets you deepstrike within 5", very nice for your melta command squad. Also their regiment trait has exploding 6's on attacks vs the nearest enemy unit!

I actually disagree on almost everything said there. XD

To me it feels like there's very little need to go for a Brigade currently. You definitely want some orders for your infantry, but that can b solved by throwing in a few Platoon Commanders. 3 orders are plenty for 6 squads, considering casualties. The Sentinels you seem to have brought for extra firepower, in which case at least one should stay together for Strike first, strike hard.

And Manticores, especially when buffed with Full Payload definitely outshine Basilisks for me now. More burst damage, can be given +1 to hit, are T7 Vs T6 and only have one round now without a missile. If you want to go heavy on artillery Basilisk are still good, but if you bring them as fire support I rate Mantis way more.

Edited by sairence