Redmaws - Hunters in the Dark

PeteySödes

Scale 75 metallics are amazing. I just started using them. Going for necrotic gold on mine with the peridot alchemy for highlights.

Gives a nice washed out vibe to the gold colour. I am struggling with anthracite grey as it is too blue for what I want

Models are looking good, I prefer the first picture and am on the fence with the second shot, as it looks almost too pale... Could almost be a White Scar

Yea it's lighter, like i said i knew it was going to be divisive. I think when all is done it'll be ok, the photo looks real white but in hand its doing some interesting things. It'll be pretty fun to dirty up because like i mentioned ill be rocking a horror angle so these test models don't really have that going for them.

Bit more progress:

gallery_2327_16555_651544.jpg

gallery_2327_16555_198182.jpg

I like the color and if i play my cards right it'll dirty up to tone the brightness down to right where i want it. Trying some weird stuff with the pack markings too, less of what I've done before, we'll see how it turns out.

Edited by PeteySödes
PC exploded apparently

Is that a roaring wolf's maw as a pack marking!?!? All-Father Lightning-bringer!

I actually really like the armor color, it's not the norm, but it looks really good! Now, how did ya do it? :devil:

Thanks! Just doodlng really and trying to think outside the box a bit. Armor color is pretty close to the colors that Anamnesis used for his sisters but i sort of had to figure it out on my own so my results were a bit different. It's a black prime, with a grey zenithal shade then based Scale Artist GreyGreen. Zenithal White to gobi brown, and white sands. Lined in the graygreen and edged in the white sands. Im pretty likely to keep experimenting on it a bit too.

i love that pak marking alot but is it perhaps a little too sophisticated for the vibe you're chasing with ths Red Maws?

Yea its certainly possible! I was mostly trying to experiment with feel and your super correct at this stage. Im hoping maybe once the colors settle in I can get it to look right. Maybe i can come up with something else too but worst case i can fall back on the similar style markings as my CotGW since I think those looked pretty primal and on point.

More tests!

gallery_2327_16555_544003.jpg

gallery_2327_16555_557108.jpg

gallery_2327_16555_804245.jpg

I thiiiiiiiiink Im good now...

Im pretty happy with this one. Subbed the greygreen with a browngrey tone for the base and i think its more grounded in a way thats going to more conducive to the goal. I also tried a different take on the pack marking and and i think once i clean it up should be pretty spooky and different.

I think i can start building!

now that's some harrowing shoulder pad art

anyways you're infringing my grey pretty closely now so now we have to fight

Hah don't be like that baby! The greys are for sure a different shade if you look :)

Started the 3d chess portion of the program. If i'm going to start painting them i need basing and if i'm to base them i want to think display and what would be thematic and cool. The rub is always doing something darker and gritty like i like but not making it boring....but also not so interesting as to distract from the model.

I think i've landed on doing an overgrown urban jungle ruin with a red soil. I think a darker obsidian looking concrete with a dusty red will look pretty great with the colors i've chosen and using plants will add the color to not make it boring.

gallery_2327_16555_152152.jpg

Main reason i'm blueprinting it right now is i'd like to try integrating my basing into the display. It's pretty stupid honestly because the main event I'm doing this for got pushed back a year so isn't until next September so i'm forced to sort of approximate the type of list i want to run and assume certain units i know im going to take. Oh well even if i get rocked it'll look good right? :P

Here's the prototype base:

gallery_2327_16555_172823.jpg

Did a set of heads for the unit in addition to the first one i posted too for good measure:

gallery_2327_16555_599419.jpg

Went more feral look, more hair more teeth, etc. to show the higher rate of the mark. Should be good. Plan to paint them this week

Dang you Petey, I hate you in all the best ways! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing more of those bases and feral faces!

(And since you clearly paint better and faster than me, I'll get to see a completed display faster than I get my stuff together - so more stuff for me to steal... :evil:)

Did some tests on some new skin tones. My CotGW tended to be pretty pale but here I want to go a bit darker, sort of animal skin tones or at least a bit more ruddy. Didn't really hit an animal tone here but i think its appropriate. Second pic is a bit of a derp angle but i finally got "yellow" eyes to work. I tried it several times a ways back (maybe my OG wolfen) but it never looked right. I think the key was doing a golden brown cornea rather than yellow and adding the yellow in just before the pupil. Pretty happy with it!

gallery_2327_16555_16187.jpg

gallery_2327_16555_16704.jpg