The Firehearts: Primaris-Only Clan Raukaan

Khornestar

I took a really long time to pull the trigger on loyalists. For 2 editions I swore I’d sooner fall on my own blade than build an army of corpse-worshipping loyalists. I settled on machine-worshipping loyalists, instead. At one time it was going to be Salamanders, but I just couldn’t get into them.

Truthfully, it’s the Primaris that sold me. I think they’re just spectacular, for the most part. Almost every kit to me is what Astartes should be, visually. Then Iron Father Feirros came out and I knew which chapter I was gonna play. He is by far the coolest model in the Primaris range, IMO.

I am tremendously limited in terms of time, having a baby girl and just the wife and I with no other assistance to take care of her. However, things are normalizing enough to the point I can spend the late and early hours hobbying. Bit by bit, I’ll get there. I’m focusing on my Astartes army first because I want to start with the army that will get an edition -relevant codex ASAP.

Getting it done means accepting a tabletop standard for the army. Not that I’m a great or meticulous painter, but perfectionism has long kept me from getting anything done. Constant struggle.

The idea is a contingent of the 3rd company that has literally just set foot on the battlefield. No battle damage, armor is perfectly polished and boots are only just beginning to accumulate iron-rich oxidized dust. Other than 3 redemptors and the outriders from Indomitus - and maybe a couple of turrets when those come out - this is an infantry-only army.

My idea for the color scheme didn’t quite work out the way I’d hoped, but I’m happy with it and will proceed.

Airbrush: Vallejo black primer > Vallejo black metal > stormhost silver > thinned black templar contrast > badger gloss varnish > spazstix color changing paint. The idea was to try a metallic zenithal highlight and then apply a thin layer of black over it. Turns out the pigments in the black Templar, even thinned, is just so dense as to subdue the zenithal effect almost entirely. So be it. It produced a nice metallic black that I’m happy with.

Here’s what I’ve got so far: test Suppressor:

A0SApLa.jpg

YIHx0W9.jpg

I used a flash with the pictures because the light was fading. The silver is being over-emphasized compared to natural light, as a result.

Next step is to spray a couple subtle layers/passes with this paint:

Izoy2vQ.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how they turn out, then moving on to the rest of the model with a brush.

One layer and I’m going to stop:

YUE1uHu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/x9XUygn.mp4

Not sure how to embed an mp4 but color shift can be seen.

I like this. I think I can skip the black metal spray, just use stormhost silver and then the black Templar over it. Gotta give this paint 24 hours to dry. Tomorrow morning I can start painting the other details.

Edited by Juggernut

That looks awesome. It reminds me of one of my favourite things that the FW Black Books did to the assorted Legions, making similar colour schemes completely different. Sure, Iron Hands, Raven Guard, and Dark Angels all have black armour, but they're utterly different sorts of black. The Iron Hands in particular look like they're not really even black, but just oil-coloured. They put a metal base colour, then layer black, green, and yellow inks over the top of that, from memory, so that the light gave it an oily sheen, instead of just "black". Your guys remind me of that, and it looks amazing.

That looks awesome. It reminds me of one of my favourite things that the FW Black Books did to the assorted Legions, making similar colour schemes completely different. Sure, Iron Hands, Raven Guard, and Dark Angels all have black armour, but they're utterly different sorts of black. The Iron Hands in particular look like they're not really even black, but just oil-coloured. They put a metal base colour, then layer black, green, and yellow inks over the top of that, from memory, so that the light gave it an oily sheen, instead of just "black". Your guys remind me of that, and it looks amazing.

Hey, thank you! As it happens I was inspired by the Forge World 30k scheme, but went about it in a different way. I really like this color shifting paint. I originally bought it to paint a detachment of Alpha Legion but only painted up a sorcerer. Painted many layers over black and it looked cool, but I wanted something more subtle here.

Thinking about the colors for the leather now. I’m thinking brown for some contrast but I don’t want it to be too bright/red.

Lolz what has you read to feel that way ? Ferrus had a very personal relationship with the Peacock which lead him to act irrationally at Ivstann. The Peacock is one heck of a manipulator as well. In terms of 30k Ferrus is still alive and one of the most powerful Primarks.

Lolz what has you read to feel that way ? Ferrus had a very personal relationship with the Peacock which lead him to act irrationally at Ivstann. The Peacock is one heck of a manipulator as well. In terms of 30k Ferrus is still alive and one of the most powerful Primarks.

EDIT: OT lore discussion removed.

Edited by Lord_Caerolion

Didn’t end up going with a super high contrast brown but it’s decent, and the purity seals are decent for that purpose so far:

jZ1kw6f.jpg

Working on the gun, too. I really like the coverage of corax white:

OkwAWxs.jpg

And another twirl:

https://i.imgur.com/PtTqHV1.mp4

Edited by Juggernut

Some washing, highlighting, dry brushing. Less than great, but I Learned a few things, overall happy so far:

vd9kpVr.jpg

Bad lighting and bad edge highlighting. Oh well:

lnExSSw.jpg

And twirl:

https://i.imgur.com/vnt1iJF.mp4

The white looks really good .

Thanks! Corax white then apothecary white contrast with a white scar edge highlight. I figured I’d spend the money to see if there was really a difference between a base and layer paint. The pigment appears to be the same white. Had to mix up the white scar with an electric mixer because it was so clumpy, but after I did I could see/feel the difference in the consistencies. Corax white rather thick, very dense pigment. White scar more medium to pigment.

I really like how apothecary white looks over the white base coat. I think my next attempt will be smoother and less blotchy, but I’m honestly quite pleased with how this suppressor turned out. He’s tabletop ready, as far as I’m concerned. Will apply decals at some point.

Going to batch paint the other two suppressors and some intercessors I’ve got airbrushed to the color-changing stage. Really looking forward to finishing this army. Will take a while, but bit by bit I’ll get there.

I’d go for it! I’ll dig up my AL sorcerer and take a pic for an example of more layers.

What I can’t figure out is how to highlight it. Test minis would be a good idea, as once paint is layered on top of the color changing paint it’s over. I was hoping my zenithal idea would work, but the Black Templars contrast wasn’t thinned enough, or just has too good of coverage through an airbrush.

Edited by Juggernut