Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Firehearts: Primaris-Only Clan Raukaan

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,223 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Sobek

Yeah, if there's one thing I've noticed with the Contrast paints, it's that they're all so different from each other. Black Templar seems to be one of the ones with far better coverage, whereas if you put Plaguebearer Flesh over another paint, it's barely noticeable other than giving a somewhat greasy sheen to the model. They're definitely not just inks/shades, as some like to claim.

• Juggernut likes this

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,722 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate
Almost done. Decals and pigment on the base and I’m good with these for tabletop quality.

csSddYP.jpg
  • Lord_Caerolion, WarriorFish and TrawlingCleaner like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,683 posts
  • Faction: Hunter Legion

The colours work very well together, in particular the white weapon casing really pops so they're going to look great together on the table top as an army :tu:

• Juggernut likes this

gallery_48988_15465_8206.pnggallery_30308_9518_1551.pnggallery_30308_3239_3185.pnggallery_30308_9518_17558.pnggallery_30308_3239_193.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.png
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Ironclad | IG Stormies | =][= Stormies | AM Armigers

CSM Terminators | TSons Rubrics | Daemons Daemonettes

DE Warriors | Tyranids Genestealers

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,722 posts

Many thanks! I hope to hone my skills/refine the white highlights on the gun casings. With all the intercessors and such I'll be painting, I bet I'll improve after a few. :)

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,894 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Your models are well-painted.
  • Juggernut likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Hevra

Hevra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts
I really like those :) I too am going to try the vallejo black metal approach, I like thst it makes the IH immediately different from other black armoured chapters :)
  • Juggernut likes this

Yosef Hausakluif

Yosef Hausakluif

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 592 posts
  • Faction: Too many to list!
Cool use of the color shift paint for a unique style paint scheme!
  • Juggernut likes this

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,722 posts
Thank you for the comments!

Decided to strip them all and start over. The metallic thing didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to, and I want them to be blacker than they are dark metallic.

Going to experiment a bit before painting them back up.

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,928 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands

Sorry to hear it wasn't what you were aiming for.. but they looked awesome!

• Juggernut likes this

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,785 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE

They looked really good but I’m sure you’ll come up with something even better.

=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,722 posts
I appreciate it, fellas. It wasn’t without conflict that I put ‘em in the stripping bath, but I have a vision in my head that may or may not be realized the second time around. :P
  • Black Blow Fly and Aothaine like this

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,223 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Sobek

If one remains, what about putting a thinned layer of Black Templar contrast paint over what you've got now?

• Juggernut likes this

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,722 posts
None remain, but the problem with doing that at the end is to dull the gloss effect and subsequently the color change as well.

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,683 posts
  • Faction: Hunter Legion

Better to realise sooner rather than later - I've repainted enough models to know this :P Do you have any approximations for the colour you're after? Perhaps the Black Templar contrast paint may be of assistance?

• Juggernut likes this

gallery_48988_15465_8206.pnggallery_30308_9518_1551.pnggallery_30308_3239_3185.pnggallery_30308_9518_17558.pnggallery_30308_3239_193.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.png
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Ironclad | IG Stormies | =][= Stormies | AM Armigers

CSM Terminators | TSons Rubrics | Daemons Daemonettes

DE Warriors | Tyranids Genestealers

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,722 posts

Better to realise sooner rather than later - I've repainted enough models to know this tongue.png Do you have any approximations for the colour you're after? Perhaps the Black Templar contrast paint may be of assistance?

The biggest issue for me is figuring out how to use highlights with the color-shifting paint. It seems like once the paint is on, painting on top of it is kind of a nightmare of sorts because any mistakes that mar the effect of the color-shifting paint can't be fixed. Spoiler alert: I make lots of mistakes constantly that need to be touched up. :P

The color-shifting paint has to be painted on top of a gloss coat to achieve the maximum effect, ideally with a black baseline beneath that. Painted on top of other paints, it has a drastically reduced color-shifting effect. At that point, I could just use green/violet sprayed in some fashion to achieve a similar look, i.e. there would be no point.

If I paint the entire basecoat to highlights before applying the gloss and color-shift, will that look weird? If I paint the highlights after applying the color-shift, I'm pretty sure that will definitely look weird. Or will it?

I have a bunch of random parts that I sprayed with black primer, I'm going to do some testing with those. The biggest issue is lack of time! Spending time with family is the priority, so I try staying up late/waking up early to work on other things, but a baby who doesn't sleep through the night or wakes up super early herself complicates that. Can't just leave the wife to do everything on her own while I'm home, so that's been the priority. I've been scrubbing a few models clean here and there, and sooner or later I'll have all my ETB intercessors and hellblasters from Dark Imperium ready to go. By then, I'll hopefully have worked on my test parts enough to have at least a general idea of how to proceed.

Black Templar contrast was a decent idea to subdue the metallic effect. If I wasn't using the color-shifting paint I think I'd stick with that sprayed over a metallic basecoat.

Edited by Juggernut, 18 September 2020 - 03:19 PM.

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,785 posts
That is the problem with color shifting paint - they don’t lend themselves well to things like shading and highlights. They do look ok though .
  • Juggernut likes this
my 40k FB Page:
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,722 posts

That is the problem with color shifting paint - they don’t lend themselves well to things like shading and highlights. They do look ok though .

I feel like there is a workflow-related solution to it, but I just haven't had a chance to do the testing to figure it out yet. The hope with the metallic zenithal style was to achieve it, but I somehow failed that experiment pretty miserably. :P

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,785 posts
It is good for things like doing metallic bases. Is can fun to go for new or esoteric technique.
  • Juggernut likes this
my 40k FB Page:
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,722 posts
Yeah, I agree. I feel like I’m close to passing the point where the amount of work isn’t worth the result. I just wanna have a relatively easy-to-paint and good looking scheme and play some games! New codex is around the corner.

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,785 posts
I don’t know how good I am at painting but I will often spend hours on one Marine.
my 40k FB Page:
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,722 posts
I can appreciate that level of detail. I’m sure I’d end up spending a couple of hours per mini regardless, as I batch paint everything.

I would reserve extra time/attention for characters/dreadnoughts or whatever details may call for it. I have a tendency to just not finish things if they can’t be perfect, so I really have to push myself to just be content. Obviously didn’t succeed with my prior efforts in this thread, but I feel like it was more a matter of not liking the outcome/scheme itself than fussing over lack of perfection.

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,785 posts
I try to paint each Marine to character level. I remember when I was finishing my 13th Company I had to take a six month break from the hobby.
  • Juggernut likes this
my 40k FB Page:
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,722 posts
Haha yeah I can see how that could induce burnout!
  • Black Blow Fly likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users