Please rate my necrons color scheme

Debauchery101

It's really hard to tell as the photos are so dark. Maybe try with a mid tone or black background? I think the white background is effecting your camera's exposure and making everything darker. The green and blue look really nice together, but the yellow eyes on yellow green dont stand out enough. The yellow enerhy balls and orange blade dont match up - have you tried doing all in an orange?

Otherwise, I'm a fan of the green skinned 'crons. The first Necron lord I painted was glossy green using dark green ink. 

The color scheme is really hard to take a picture of because 99% of the model is metallic. Im not sure how to adjust lighting and camera for it. If I use flash or too much area gets direct light I can't see detail. i tried some with natural light and only partly in the direct light

hsnTlZJ.jpg

8Gy0fZJ.jpg

Its funny shouldn't even post these lol. These pictures seriously do not look what I see on hand. I'm still figuring out all the exact points to color what or shade. Not even sure I want the green energy glow. Maybe hot pink or electric blue. I really want to use a scheme that isn't so neat and natural from a Human perspective. Would aliens use all kinds of different alloys or colors on their armor? How are those alloys affected by their environment? We see and hear from fluff that necrons are all made from the same materials and varied levels soul infusion, in regards to autonomy,to the physical vessels they live in. Ive seen some truly wierd stuff as a commercial diver 600m in the deep sea around the world. I once grabbed some wire rope rigging that had been sitting hung on a tool basket for about 4 hours. The basket has lights on it so fish swim by. This rigging was wrapped into a circle and hung on a hook fastened with yellow poly rope. I grabbed rope to undo the knot...a freaking octopus had laid itself flat against the basket and wrapped its tentacles around the wire rope. Its body took the chipped paint, kinda rusty color of the basket, its tentacles took the color and width of the wire rope sling, including one tentacle which I grabbed looked like the yellow rope that tied the sling to the basket....this creature probably lived in darkness up until the day we dove to recover an ROV

I may just scrap this scheme. Maybe just go a whole new route. But the metallic shiny shifting color like real scarabs and beatles is what I want in the end

Edited by Debauchery101

Its funny shouldn't even post these lol. These pictures seriously do not look what I see on hand. I'm still figuring out all the exact points to color what or shade. Not even sure I want the green energy glow. Maybe hot pink or electric blue. I really want to use a scheme that isn't so neat and natural from a Human perspective. Would aliens use all kinds of different alloys or colors on their armor? How are those alloys affected by their environment? We see and hear from fluff that necrons are all made from the same materials and varied levels soul infusion, in regards to autonomy,to the physical vessels they live in. Ive seen some truly wierd stuff as a commercial diver 600m in the deep sea around the world. I once grabbed some wire rope rigging that had been sitting hung on a tool basket for about 4 hours. The basket has lights on it so fish swim by. This rigging was wrapped into a circle and hung on a hook fastened with yellow poly rope. I grabbed rope to undo the knot...a freaking octopus had laid itself flat against the basket and wrapped its tentacles around the wire rope. Its body took the chipped paint, kinda rusty color of the basket, its tentacles took the color and width of the wire rope sling, including one tentacle which I grabbed looked like the yellow rope that tied the sling to the basket....this creature probably lived in darkness up until the day we dove to recover an ROV

I may just scrap this scheme. Maybe just go a whole new route. But the metallic shiny shifting color like real scarabs and beatles is what I want in the end

I think you've got the technique with a really cool outcome. I would definitely not be afraid to go non-traditional in how you paint the model. If you're not sold on your color scheme I would look for inspiration. Crazy colored ocean life, sports cars with pearlecent paint, sports drink logos...there is a world of options out there to give you ideas for color schemes.

Nice. Bit dark, lighter highlights could improve contrast and "pop" factor but the color fades are solid. Weapons blades are reading a bit muddy and might deserve a proper osl effect and u have an airbrush. I reccomend blue or violet for the glow color. Orange might just turn brown on you with the greens and blues.

Nice. Bit dark, lighter highlights could improve contrast and "pop" factor but the color fades are solid. Weapons blades are reading a bit muddy and might deserve a proper osl effect and u have an airbrush. I reccomend blue or violet for the glow color. Orange might just turn brown on you with the greens and blues.

yeah i am going to bust out a blue version on a guy tonight. The orange blade on the lord is the first time I've tried that scheme. I used a quick wetblend just to get the colors on the model to see how they look. I can clean it up later. If I decide on that. I do feel putting more yellow on the end of the transition would kind of bring it back to more colors in the rest of the scheme.

Fortunately this is a very forgiving paint. The liquid metal and glazes don't add much that would require removal to preserve detail

I feel you when it comes to picture taking. I changed from my old scheme to a new one with color shift paints. Like you I can't get a picture that shows what I see with the naked eye. What I can see in yours I really like. The blue glow to me compliments the green better I think then the bright green but that's me. I'm using Red for weapons and glow against a blue to purple color shift with gold trimming. Fairly happy so far. As for your question on rating, you get a solid 10. Edited by Dread

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks guys. I think the cool blue goes best with the green/teal/yellow metallic armor. I had to tale a break and paint up some of the new marines but I have all bases finished and just need to knock out the rest of the necrons now that I got the scheme down. I also noticed that using the yellow around the blue energy sections look the best so I'll also make sure to implement that intentionally.

It's surprising how different they look from one picture to the next, but I really love how they look on that last one. It's original and the purple of the base suit the models. I'll have to try that, I was planning on using a contrast paint over a white/black zenithal for my deceiver, but I think I'll try that over a metallic gradient instead.