GW's supply drops are coming (mystery models inside)

GreenScorpion

Calling them "loot boxes" is incredibly snide - especially given the practice of "mystery boxes / blisters" has been employed across the miniatures industry for decades now.

Trying to connect them to a predatory digital practice that operates under an entirely different set of rules is just poor form.

Might not have been the best choice of words from my side, but the description and how broad the contents are, it was the first thing that came to mind in terms of unknown, not so much on the predatory side, but obviously they do hint they want people to explore new ranges through it on the article.

The funny thing is that they are identical in content, so eBay is going to be flooded with the same useless models that were still sitting on shelves after a pandemic.

Identical per region, so ebay resellers buying from UK will sell different stuff than ones buying from Germany or rest of EU, for example.

Depending on the variance between regions, it might still become profitable for them.

Space marines have been separate for weeks over a year.

FTFY

It's a bit premature to condemn GW in this. Once the contents of each area's box are known, then people might condemn them if it turns out that they're just unloading stuff that no one wants. I'm inferring from the article that there will be kits from multiple factions within the Imperium, so players will be able to trade/sell those kits that they don't want (e.g., an Astra Militarum player and an Adeptus Mechanicus player might split those portions of two kits). Whether or not the Adeptus Astartes might be represented in the box is anyone's guess - the theme of the WH40K box is "Imperium" (which includes the Adeptus Astartes), not "Armies of the Imperium" (which is the GW/FW website breakdown of those factions of the Imperium other than the Adeptus Astartes). With the options for smaller scale gaming (Kill Team and now Combat Patrol), these kits might provide a decent starting point for players that haven't previously collected a (sub-)faction. We won't really know until we know the content of each region's box. Still, for those that are either willing to sell/trade, start new factions, or use kits in dioramas or as basing (enemy casualties), 50% is a pretty good deal.

Too bad I'm in North America:

Supply Drop will only be available in certain territories this time around so, unfortunately, fans in the US and Canada won’t be able to take advantage of this offer this time around. Keep an eye out, though – you never know what the future might bring!

I'm looking forward to hearing the contents of each region's box to see whether or not these are actually good deals.

+EDIT+ I just took a gander at the way back machine archive and I'm probably wrong about the Space Marine separation at the GW page. It's difficult to tell exactly when the change happened because of the captcha, but the Adeptus Astartes were in the Armies of the Imperium section as of March of this year.

Edited by Brother Tyler
I hate when I'm wrong. :(

Now, we just have to scan the whole range to see which models are going "sold out online" to have an idea of the content of the mystery box.

No, you want to find the stuff that never goes to sold out online, that will be what they have excess stock of :)

The funny thing is that they are identical in content, so eBay is going to be flooded with the same useless models that were still sitting on shelves after a pandemic.

Identical per region, so ebay resellers buying from UK will sell different stuff than ones buying from Germany or rest of EU, for example.

Depending on the variance between regions, it might still become profitable for them.

I still think that they will contain unsold stuff, and UK unsold stuff is not likely to be very different from EU unsold stuff. 

I doubt you'll find Impulsors or Invictor Warsuits for example.

I guess I’ll restrict myself to a single comment, but I feel like someone is either wealthy or insane to buy loot boxes for products this expensive, 50% off or not. Maybe some folks collect enough armies that this will work out.

Seems absolutely insane.

I have plenty of imperial projects, but who knows if they'd still be units I have a need of. Plus, it might be 50% off compared to GW's own prices, but not quite so much off compared to third parties (even more so if you're not from UK yet can order from UK third parties, that's like ~35% off compared to my country's GW prices for example). So other than those wanting their gambling fix, definitely better stick to just buying what you know you need.

Now, we just have to scan the whole range to see which models are going "sold out online" to have an idea of the content of the mystery box.

No, you want to find the stuff that never goes to sold out online, that will be what they have excess stock of :smile.:

Indeed :biggrin.: You would need both pieces of info to infer the content: those never selling and after a "drop" becoming "sold out online" but we don't have access to that kind of data. Curious to see what was included in these boxes.

I still think that they will contain unsold stuff, and UK unsold stuff is not likely to be very different from EU unsold stuff. 

I doubt you'll find Impulsors or Invictor Warsuits for example.

It is not necessarily just unsold stuff, I would guess it is more a mix of stuff that might direct people to buy additional models from x or y line because you already have these units from the box. I do doubt most of it is anything recent, but it doesn't necessarily mean it is the bottom of the pile.

I don't think the space marine grouping on the web store has been there for a year. They added that around the beginning of the 9e reveal. Before that, all of them were in the same group under 'Armies of the Imperium', and it was difficult to navigate.

Why do people expect to get to know what's in them while still being able to order afterward? Not how mystery boxes generally work. And as we see, the Imperium one sold out already. Figures, people will buy anything. Though I suspect some of those might be bitz sellers and the like.

In all seriousness the Underworlds one might be a genuinely good purchase for me, as I own precisely zero of it but have often thought the individual warbands would make good tasters to see if I fancy doing any as full AoS armies.

Id even be slightly tempted by the Imperium one if I was anywhere close to having my current armies done.

Edit: Wow, Imperium one sold out in the UK already. Obviously we don't know how many there were, but on the face of it that seems pretty nuts.

Edited by Halandaar

I would love to know what in the imperium one.

Either they had a really small stock of these or some people went nuts buying loads of them, they were gone before I even saw the WarCom article

Although it's easy to assume these will be full of crap that's been failing to sell forever (looking at you Venerable Dreadnought), it would be very beneficial for GW for these first two to actually be really good, if only to bait people into buying future versions.