GW's supply drops are coming (mystery models inside)

GreenScorpion

I had thought GW might out something exclusive in the first supply drop, so as to spur interest in future ones.

Instead this seems pretty rubbish. I'm glad I didnt get one and I won't in future. I suppose it was always to make room but I don't see them getting much interest in future, which they could have had. Maybe a bit short sighted by them.

I had thought GW might out something exclusive in the first supply drop, so as to spur interest in future ones.

Instead this seems pretty rubbish. I'm glad I didnt get one and I won't in future. I suppose it was always to make room but I don't see them getting much interest in future, which they could have had. Maybe a bit short sighted by them.

They would definitely advertise an exclusive new model for the supply drop, they'd feature it prominently and mention the rest of the supply drop would be random. No way they'd tool up a new mold and pay one of the designers to sculpt up a nice new model and just slip it in quietly with zero fanfare. Yeah, the customers would report it all over the net, but a company like GW wouldn't leave it up to chance like that. They put out multiple articles about exclusive models that are merely handed out at Adepticon or given out at store birthdays or the Citadel opening.

Yeah, it's funny that people are saying that 'box A' would have been great while 'box B' not so much, and then there's a reply from someone else saying that 'box B' would be great for them because of a perfectly good reason.

Huh, it's almost like completely random products, even at a great discount, has far more potential to be a disappointment than a win-fall. Nope, I spend too much on this hobby to gamble on what's going to be in the box, even at 50% off.

Here's a crazy suggestion GW, if you're actually keen on offering a discount on your product sometimes, and not just clearing warehouse space. Have a sale every now-and-then, or provide some limited-time bundles that actually offer a discount to buying them separately, you know, like your really popular Start Collecting boxes, but... Oh, never mind... *shakes his head*

Yeah, it's funny that people are saying that 'box A' would have been great while 'box B' not so much, and then there's a reply from someone else saying that 'box B' would be great for them because of a perfectly good reason.

Huh, it's almost like completely random products, even at a great discount, has far more potential to be a disappointment than a win-fall. Nope, I spend too much on this hobby to gamble on what's going to be in the box, even at 50% off.

Here's a crazy suggestion GW, if you're actually keen on offering a discount on your product sometimes, and not just clearing warehouse space. Have a sale every now-and-then, or provide some limited-time bundles that actually offer a discount to buying them separately, you know, like your really popular Start Collecting boxes, but... Oh, never mind... *shakes his head*

Exactly what he said...:rolleyes:

This could have been a real win for GW but the way they have handled it (packaged it :wink: ) has made it seem like a Negative ...but hey they sold out all those imperium ones so they're still sitting back smiling and  rubbing their fat cash tummy... saying "yep we cleared out them there bikes from the warehouse...I told ya we'd get rid of them :sweat: ... ,yeah I know some of the hobbyists are angry...they'll forget about it after we show some more new models... hey show that necromunda gang territory... yeah cool" …

Mithril

It is a smart way of doing business from GW side.

- it clears stock and gives them probably the much needed space for the extra Indomitus boxes coming in.

- it clears old or less selling stock in a controlled manner. You guaranteed clear it and it’s less work than putting up a sale. ( website adaptation/ packing single orders)

- given the % discount they sell their product to retailers , their loss isn’t that much especially considering the prize hikes for older kits.

- And an added bonus, it’s a great way to feel the demand for this. Given it’s sold out... well high.

Is it a good idea for a consumer? That’s personal for everyone. I don’t mind it that much. If I don’t want it , I don’t have to buy it. If other people enjoy a surprise or something random to paint, why not.

If they had put in an alternative sculpt or special miniature I’d been a bit less amused.

Don’t forget that there are a lot of silent voiced that are happy with this. I don’t think GW will feel like this is a negative and even most of the less appeased consumers will have forgotten about this when they reveal new shiny toys.

Edited by Spacecow

I'll be honest, these both look pretty fun to me, I haven't got a guard army but that would have been a good start to one (or the superheavy could have gone to my IW), and the marine characters would have been pretty neat conversion fodder, whether for lieutenants, captains or even simple sergeants.

As I'm not an Imperium player at heart I'm still happy I didn't pick that first drop up, but I'd probably pick up a chaos one - if it's CSM, awesome, they'll fit right in, if it's daemons, awesome I'll be able to summon them in, if it's a chaos knight even better :D

I remember when GW ran things like their "Skullz" promotion, whereby you got in effect a loyalty card, and got stamps on it for each box.  When you got to a certain number of stamps, you got a freebie.  If memory serves, it was printed out with the slots as a force org chart, so you had to collect a valid army.

++EDIT: Hmm ... I might have been conflating two offers.  Thinking more about it, I think Skullz allowed you to claim from a defined set of freebies only, whereas they also did a "help you to collect an army" promotion as well, which got you (for argument's sake) a free 2nd HQ when you filled-out a standard force org chart.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

So what your saying is there will be a surplus of cheap character kits on E-bay along with bikes :biggrin.:

Supply drop? Someone want to definition check that for me because I'm currently trying not to bust a gut about how horrible that supply drop is because not even half of it is usable by a majority of players...oh wait that's why they did this!

that'd be great, been eying Ko'Sarro and and Adrax for conversions.

I would agree a sale is more consumer friendly than this which is loot boxes with trash really. It also should in another vein tell them what really sells and what doesn't, so lets hope they take the right messages away from this and at some point give us Khan on his bike but knowing GW we'll get Khan on a Gladiator before he gets on his bike!

I remember when GW ran things like their "Skullz" promotion, whereby you got in effect a loyalty card, and got stamps on it for each box.  When you got to a certain number of stamps, you got a freebie.  If memory serves, it was printed out with the slots as a force org chart, so you had to collect a valid army.

++EDIT: Hmm ... I might have been conflating two offers.  Thinking more about it, I think Skullz allowed you to claim from a defined set of freebies only, whereas they also did a "help you to collect an army" promotion as well, which got you (for argument's sake) a free 2nd HQ when you filled-out a standard force org chart.

Ah yes, the skullz promotions... I'm sure there were a couple that happened over the years (the one I'm thinking about was back early 2000's), I've still got the bolt pistol keyring and the ultramarine holding the banner figure from one of the promotions... somewhere...

On topic, if I had had the disposible cash for this, I'd have quite happily have purchased this, as I like characters :happy.:

Edited by Domhnall

One of the Australian guys over on 40k reddit did well with his, Castellan kinght, two boxes of scouts and the Raven Guard and White Scars Primaris characters. That alone is worth it for the Knight.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/i9g7yp/imperial_supply_drop_contents_australia/

The Australian Imperium boxes were decent because of the Knight, some of the Australians at dakka said it was likely to compensate the high exchange rates applied by GW down there.

One of the Australian guys over on 40k reddit did well with his, Castellan kinght, two boxes of scouts and the Raven Guard and White Scars Primaris characters. That alone is worth it for the Knight.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/i9g7yp/imperial_supply_drop_contents_australia/

The Australian Imperium boxes were decent because of the Knight, some of the Australians at dakka said it was likely to compensate the high exchange rates applied by GW down there.

Underworlds Australian box was also MUCH better than the European one. Less tat, more actual models.

Oh that Australian box content is amazing :) glad they got the better end of the stick for once !

...amazing, Australia got something ok for once... still not buying the next one, still a high price gamble...knowing GW they’ll put bikes in the next one for us!! ...

Mithril

Oh that Australian box content is amazing :) glad they got the better end of the stick for once !

...amazing, Australia got something ok for once... still not buying the next one, still a high price gamble...knowing GW they’ll put bikes in the next one for us!! ...

Mithril

I'd roll the dice on a FW mystery box in AUD, get a thunderhawk lol.