9th ed. Chapter Tactics

Aeri

The new Da tactic will be good to sit on objective.

The +1 to hit in melee will be great against anyone trying to dislodge a DA troop. Knight will hit on 2+ and if you don't kill a target with ravenwing on the charge, you have more chance to ree them on the enemy turn with +1 on melee attack and pistol shot if you have any.

You can't get more than 1 CP per turn, with 9ed max at 5 turn, Brillant strategist can give 5 CP max

True but you start with 13 with Azrael as Warlord, you get 1 CP every turn in command phase so that's 18 CP and you should easily get 2-3 through out the game refunded. Hence 20+

Captian

I do like the melee potential when holding an objective. So it should be quite valuable for holding objectives.

It reminds me a bit of the HH mastery of the blade rule, although much less restrictive. It's not really the same, but that melee aspect to it just ties the factions together a bit more to me vs. a pure gunline rule.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I played two games yesterday.

The first I got wiped by a competitively built mech Eldar list. I was running a very non competitive list with assault marines and land raider.

Second game was much better, vs Magnus and his sons. I lost but had I understood the secondaries better it would have been close to a draw.

The new tactic probably would have helped a bit in the second game but the first was so one sided as to be irrelevant.

I played my first Ravenwing game of 9th yesterday, my list is still in a work in progress (I also left my Phobos Libby at home so had to sub a techmarine in but...) and some dice rolls were very 'average' at times.

I went second and lost horribly against some Harliequins but lessons were learned,picking the right secondaries is really important as well as clarity on terrain (we were consistent but didn't realise a few things were in play i.e. defensible).

RW hit HARD but you have to think really carefully about your positioning and target priority is as ever, is really key... I am still working out strats as well so am sure I could play somethings better... One thing is that RWBKs should be as high as unit as you can afford and keep them out of charge range...

List

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [67 PL, 12CP, 1,284pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Chapter Selection: Dark Angels

Detachment CP

+ HQ +

Ravenwing Talonmaster [9 PL, 180pts]: 1. Impeccable Mobility, Power sword, Twin assault cannon, Twin heavy bolter, Warlord

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [11 PL, 154pts]: Infiltrator Helix Adept, Infiltrator Sergeant

. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

+ Elites +

Ravenwing Apothecary [5 PL, 65pts]

. Black Knight Bike: Plasma Talon

. Reliquary of the Repentant

+ Fast Attack +

Ravenwing Bike Squad [8 PL, 155pts]

. Ravenwing Attack Bike: Multi-melta

. Ravenwing Biker: Bolt pistol, Plasma gun

. Ravenwing Biker: Bolt pistol, Plasma gun

. Ravenwing Sergeant: Combi-plasma

Ravenwing Land Speeders [18 PL, 300pts]

. Ravenwing Land Speeder: Heavy bolter, Typhoon missile launcher

+ Flyer +

Ravenwing Dark Talon [8 PL, 215pts]: 2x Hurricane bolter

Ravenwing Dark Talon [8 PL, 215pts]: 2x Hurricane bolter

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [38 PL, -2CP, 690pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Chapter Selection: Dark Angels

Detachment CP [-2CP]

+ HQ +

Sammael in Sableclaw [11 PL, 210pts]

Techmarine [4 PL, 50pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword, Servo-arm

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 90pts]: 5x Camo cloak

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle

. 4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Sniper rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Ravenwing Black Knights [12 PL, 200pts]

. 4x Ravenwing Black Knight: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Corvus Hammer, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. Ravenwing Huntmaster: Corvus Hammer

Ravenwing Darkshroud [7 PL, 140pts]: Assault cannon

++ Total: [105 PL, 10CP, 1,974pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Well , this Friday I have a rematch against the Death Guard list of my friend. I'll have a second chance to try and see how the rules and board size of 9th affect us and our chapter tactic.

This time I do NOT plan on staying put, though. I am bringing more troops, and more mobility, while relegating the backfield holding role to some heavy support choices.

The Death Guard list will be as follows:

Malignant Plague Caster with Arch Contaminator

Biologist Putrifier

8 Plague Marines

+ Chaos Rhino

12 Pox Walkers

3 Chaos Spawn, with the upgrade to get FnP

3 Mephilitic Blight-Haulers

a Plagueburst Crawler

My list will be as follows:

Master in Jump Pack, with a Thunder Hammer, and Fury of the Lion

Lieutenant in Jump Pack, with Heavenfall Blade and Master of Maneuver

Chaplain with Stoic Prosecution and Mantra of Strength

5 Tacticals with plasma and combi plasma

Dread with Missile Launcher and Twin Lascannon

5 Devastators, with 1 Heavy Bolter, 1 MIssile Launcher, and a cherub

5 Bikers with three meltas

My opponent will be coming at me fast, with a LOT of heavy armor.

Last game I was pushed into a "comfort zone" of static castle building. This time, I am taking the fight to him. Placing my Dread and Devs as backfield units, while pushing forward with the tacticals and chaplain, to support a much more frontal assault tactic with the bikes and characters. Last game my meltas failed a lot. This time, I am not taking chances. Dual rerolls.

Lets see how it works.

Edited by Berzul

I feel this list would really shine packing Assault Intercessors instead of plasma tacticals, as you would trade 4 3D plasma shots for killing power in assault plus double the wounds for that aggression potential.

From my two games against smolmarines, they die quite too easily to things I'm packing.

You need to persecute that DG Rhino turn 1 Berzul, you don't want it's putrid cargo unloading upon your squads and the Rhino being popped for maximum mortals...

Bring it down should be an auto pick secondary for you against that list, handily your opponent doesn't have any Re-roll auras with a bit of luck your dreadnought with the -1 dmg strat might just keep him alive T1!

Based on own experience, don't over commit your bikes, keep them at the edge of the threat range for a turn or two.

You need to persecute that DG Rhino turn 1 Berzul, you don't want it's putrid cargo unloading upon your squads and the Rhino being popped for maximum mortals...

Bring it down should be an auto pick secondary for you against that list, handily your opponent doesn't have any Re-roll auras with a bit of luck your dreadnought with the -1 dmg strat might just keep him alive T1!

Based on own experience, don't over commit your bikes, keep them at the edge of the threat range for a turn or two.

Fierce Bear, thank you for your advice on this battle. I had considered focusing on the blight-haulers, actually, since they are so tough, and can deliver such amount of damage at range... But, it's true that the rhino is going to be carrying a seriously deadly cargo as well. I expect 9d6 plague grenades to the face quickly, unless I put a stop to it.

I think I'll try and focus my efforts on the Rhino, then move to either the Plagueburst Crawler of the Miphilitic Blight-Haulers. Perhaps with the combined firepower of my devastators, dreadnought, and multi melta attack bike, I can bring it down turn one.