I've now played a fairly good chunk of 9th edition with a wide variety of armies, against a wide variety of opponents.
I started with Chaos, had a lot of difficulty, and decided to test various other armies to get a better feel for the meta, vs the Chaos fishbowl scenario. I finally feel I have a decent idea of where Chaos/Black Legion sits.
While I don't think it's a great time for most CSM, I thought I would go hardcore Abaddon/Black Legion.
I still don't know what to do about Tau, and even Astra is proving really tough. Marines, are marines and I expect them to have the advantage/limelight for at least 3 months.
So I don't even know if Abaddon fulfills the "Supreme Command" detachment requirement, so I'm not using the Supreme Command as a result.
What I am trying to accomplish is a list design that is aimed at competitive play, but definitely forces me to make the Black Legion function around Abaddon.
This means I may even force myself to take While we stand... as a secondary, since it will always be Abaddon in the mix. A dangerous choice perhaps, but a big pay off as well.
Must Use Units:
- Sorcerer (probably with Jump Pack)
- Third HQ slot
- At least one squad of Marines (ugh).
- At least one squad of Oblits
- One 5-10 man Terminator squad (probably going to keep using Combi Plas)
High Priority Units: This is obviously a subjective category. To me these units are comprised of stuff Black Legion should use for game, but also thematic purposes.
- Heldrake (Just loving the terror factor, and the fact it annoys opponents so much.)
- Havoks. Kind of in a weird spot. They would have serious merit if they had 2 wounds (always felt like they should have had 2.)
- Master of Possession: Although I can't use Vigilus, this guy seems to fit with Oblits and...
- Possessed/Greater Possessed. Yes even thought their time has gone, I've decided to go ahead and use these as a staple cc threat over the Khorne Berzerkers for now.
- Rhino(s) - Forsaken by the Primaris, but a hold over that maybe gets a bit better with Havok launchers.
So that's the plan. Do you think I've missed any "Must" use units? I'd love to use Chosen, but I just can't see a point right now, especially as the list is heavy enough with point heavy units.
How about Black Legion 'power units'. Is there something really good you've tried that Black Legion truly do well?