Blood Angel Decals

Brother Dallo

Hi folks, does anyone know of any good sources (official or 3rd party) of coloured blood drops for 3rd, 4th or 5th Company as decals? If you’ve used 3rd party ones, how was the experience?

I’m considering doing a Battle Company but don’t particularly realish the idea of freehanding over one hundred blood drops. I’ve had a look on eBay and didn’t see anything. I know that you can get 2nd Company markings (yellow drop) in pretty much every Marine transfer sheet, but I’d rather do something different.

The only thing I’ve found which was official is a Blood Angels transfer sheet which came with the Blood Angel Intercessor box while it was on sale, but I can’t see any for sale anywhere.

Cheers.

Dallo

4th and 5th company are easy to do - you want transparent (i.e. clear) water transfer/waterslide printer paper, either for inkjet or laser printer as appropriate, and the Decal sheet design Brother Tyler helpfully linked. They do usually need sealing with spray varnish after printing, but are otherwise basically as good as official ones.

3rd Company is tricker, as normal home or office printers can't print white. You then have three options

1) print onto white transfer paper. This means you will need to cut the transfers out precisely, as the backing layer is white, not transparent.

2) print the transfer on transparent paper, and either before of after putting the transfer on, do white paint. For company badges, it'd probably easier to paint white 'inside the line'.

3) get it professionally printed.

Another option is 3d printed company blood drops which you glue on and paint over, I'll dig up some links in a bit.

Edited by Arkhanist

For the 3d printed blood drops I promised for company markings, there are two options on shapeways - plokoone and pop goes the monkey - both suitably curved to add to shoulder pads yourself and paint. You can also get them as part of a full shouder pad if you prefer, or a fancier set.

I suppose those gold shoulder pad insignias from the Dark Imperium transfer sheet are more or less impossible to find elsewhere?

I have 5 left, which I guess means my army can never have more than another 5 sergeants :biggrin.:

Yes, gold blood angels icons are a touch hard to come by! The simplest option is to get pre-formed shoulder pads and paint them gold yourself. For the same design as on the transfer sheet, there's the older blood angels upgrade sprue.

For the slightly tweaked blood angel wings design for Primaris, there's the primaris upgrade sprue which gets you standard and gravis pads. There's a UK guy on ebay who does very similar icons on phobos and cheaper standard pads, and also a brass etch version for putting on vehicles, ETB minis and gravis pads without having to buy the primaris upgrade sprue for every 3 - I'm using a mix of these on my shadowspear and Indomitus marines.

Lastly, there are different designs again on shapeways either as separate curved icons or full pads or vehicle parts; sanguine legion is very old school, or angel tears for example - GW got other BA icons removed via copyright complaint.

Edited by Arkhanist

Very helpful, thanks :) I was considering an upgrade sprue or two for the bits box, they'll certainly be handy in future but I don't think it'll be worth the hassle on the ETB models from Indomitus.

Thanks for the detailed write up.

Changing out the shoulder pads really isn’t that much hassle on Indomitus models if you’ve got a decent set of clippers. You’re covering the shoulder stub with a pad so you don’t need to be overly neat.

Dallo