What BA units have to be "primaris'd"?

Darnok

It is an open secret that GW sees Primaris as the future of Space Marines, this is reflected more and more in both the model line and background since the start of 8th edition. Sooner or later we will see chapter-specific Primaris units for the "big" chapters like BA, DA and SW. For Blood Angels the two units that come to mind are Death Company and Sanguinary Guard.

The Death Company is a funny thing in my opinion. On the one hand, they had specific models of their own since 1996 (when the "Angels Of Death" codex came out), with different incarnations over the years. On the other hand, their background states that their members just paint their previous armour black - so special models never made much sense to me. What we have seen so far - i.e. regular Intercessors with a different paintjob - is closer to the background than the DC multipart plastic kit. It is also pretty silly to assume that a DC Primaris would suddenly fit in the "oldschool" DC armour, he is just way too big.

So will we see no special DC kit at all? Maybe a conversion sprue similar to the previous Primaris "upgrades"?

Sanguinry Guard are in a different situation. Once GW had invented them (back in 5th edition I think?) they had a unique style of armour, requiring a kit of their own. Just painting Primaris golden will definitely not do the job! And fitting a Primaris Marine into the older armour once again makes no sense due to the size difference.

In my opinion a new style of Sanguinary Guard, made for Primaris scale, is necessary - unless GW scraps the concept for good. I really doubt it, but maybe they want to introduce something else entirely.

Opinions? Speculations? Or maybe you have a conversion to show off? For the Blood G... Sanguinius!

I was slightly surprised not to see the Bladeguard done in Sanguinary Guard colors in the official release photos and that be the primaris version as they did with the Deathwing.

Unfortunately I expect them to just give the existing ones a data sheet in the new codex, a small background blurb, and then just ignore them. Even if they Primaris’d Dante (which they won’t), they’d turn him into a foot slogger and have him hanging out with his new Bladeguard chums.

Mephiston got a brilliant upgrade, and Raven Guard got a jump-pack Chapter Master in Shrike. So it's certainly not inevitable that Dante and/or the Sanguinary Guard will be stuck on foot. The blade guard are more a generic version of the Ultramarine victrix guard, i.e. the replacement for company veterans.

There's still a big hole in primaris for jump-pack units; I would imagine we'll see a jump pack primaris wave at some point, just as the Indomitus wave is foot-based assault units, and Dante/Sang Guard may be part of that. I agree that Death Company will continue to just be black-painted primaris, which does fit lore-wise - but they also get to crack open the armoury to make best use of their melee frenzy in the lore, as seen in vanilla DC, so I hope that at the very least death company assault intercessors (presumably in the upcoming codex supplement) will be able to take melee upgrades on the sgt.

Going back to Shrike a minute - I think he looks a lot better with a small conversion without the emo haircut, and very Raven Guardy. Hopefully Dante gets a proper upgrade too.

eec9ef93cc487b649097e3ad18342da2.jpg

yeah i think we'll see Dante get the Calgar treatment tbh... Primaris Dante + 2 primaris sized sanguinary guard.

Lore wise all the old sanguinary guard except the ancient died during devastation of baal, and they aren't given much mention in darkness in the blood, so there is the possibility they go that route.

Could see the primaris sanguinary guard being a small unit and actually being a bodyguard unit, whilst the standard sanguinary guard just get an updated datasheet.

death company - yeah i think we'll just see an updated datasheet when we get a supplement, it'll give them options to use BP/Chainsword instead of bolt rifle, maybe other options too depending on assault intercessor options.

I kinda think Death Company are the only truly necessary one. Seeing as we now know that Primaris can suffer the thirst/ rage. But I think some bling and painting them black is enough. Fingers crossed they can have all chainswords in the future.

Sanguinary Guard are one that is trickier. To be in the SG is to be a paragon of the BA, not to mention all their gear is sized for marines a foot shorter...

Once we see enough highly veteran Primaris marines integrated into the chapter, then I hope we'll see a Primaris Sanguinary Guard, or maybe they're own crazy equivalent.

However what I'd *like* to see, is a new BA unit of Primaris that uses their own gear that has developed from being integrated into the chapter.

I’m honestly not sure what they could do to primaris anguinaru Guard unique. Personally I would prefer a unique blood angels primaris unit. Could even take something from 30k like the crimson paladins or dawnbreaker cohort.

On the other hand death company are our (arguably) most unique unit and the easiest to convert. Everyone can take a power weapon and chain sword or bolt rifles. Although that kind of flexibility kinda goes against primaris philosophy so I’m not sure we’ll get that.

One unit we always forget is the furioso. We had a furioso contemptor for a bit so might as well get a furioso redemptor. All I want a is a furioso redemptor librarian :D.

Primaris Sanguinary Guard and Primaris Death Company w/ Jump Packs need to happen.

A power bonus to Furiosos need to happen regardless..... Perhaps 9 wound and 2+ armor save since lore-wise a Furioso Chassis had more armor, nearly armored like the Predator tank versus a regular dreadnought. (points could reflect this) -- maybe give it a 6+ FNP in addition since they're considered venerable blood angel dreads....

Furioso Redemptor would be badass....

I just want Dante. I got the old model as a kid when I first started in the hobby, chopped him up to use his jump pack or arm, I can't remember. So now I have half a Dante model in my bits box for the last 20 years and I can't bring myself to get another, plus the model looks so damn underwhelming now.

I like the idea of a new route of BA unit or even just sang guard. I don't really mind as long as we get jump packs

I just want Dante. I got the old model as a kid when I first started in the hobby, chopped him up to use his jump pack or arm, I can't remember. So now I have half a Dante model in my bits box for the last 20 years and I can't bring myself to get another, plus the model looks so damn underwhelming now.

I like the idea of a new route of BA unit or even just sang guard. I don't really mind as long as we get jump packs

I took Death Company Jump Jet and threw it on a Tolmeron (the Primaris LT for BA) and added the Sanguinary axe and an inferno pistol from the Sang Guard box and it makes a pretty solid Dante-Alike.

I just realized that the furioso redemptor would be kind of the opposite of our current furioso. Furioso are notable for being piloted by some old ass marines, some from the great crusade. On the other hand redemptor kill their pilot as they go on.

I’m not sure how that would work.

Also I would love for that updated fragcannon model and profile.

The Redemptor "slowly killing its pilot" would make for a good reason to give it a DC version - one way or the other, sooner or later, the poor soul inside will find peace.

I just realized that the furioso redemptor would be kind of the opposite of our current furioso. Furioso are notable for being piloted by some old ass marines, some from the great crusade. On the other hand redemptor kill their pilot as they go on.

Where does this "killing it's pilot" come from? Never heard of it till now.

Where does this "killing it's pilot" come from? Never heard of it till now.

In the Dark Angels codex: "However, they spared little thought to the health of the incumbent, seeing him as little more than another part to be replaced as necessary. Many of those Redemptors that have fought for a sustained period have already had their sarcophagi replaced, their original pilots burned out by the intense demands of the machine’s destructive prowess. It is, by all accounts, an excruciatingly painful way to die."

And Blood Angels "It is whispered that, when they created the designs for the Redemptor Dreadnought, the magi of Mars gave little thought to the well-being of the warrior interred within. The raging energies that surge through the Redemptor gradually burn out the hero that pilots it. They leech the occupant’s life force until he is reduced to nothing but a sac of blackened organs, fit only to be reinterred, this time in a true mausoleum dedicated to his selfless sacrifice."

Same idea as the Leviathan, I guess.

Edited by Arkhanist

I took Death Company Jump Jet and threw it on a Tolmeron (the Primaris LT for BA) and added the Sanguinary axe and an inferno pistol from the Sang Guard box and it makes a pretty solid Dante-Alike.

That's a good idea I'll look into it, cheers mate

Surely only a matter of time before we get primaris San guard. Think inceptors but with the *primaris*? Angelus boltgun and encarmine melee weapons. Or even a different jump pack development where they keep T4 and gain a wound and attack.

Dante's model is still perfect. Nobody is due new rules more than he is though. The regent of half of the imperium should get some sort of CP bonus or strategic ability of some sort, besides the upgrade to his old chapter master rerolls.

It's exciting that something will happen and maybe soon. I'm sure it will be good whatever it is

Edited by Shaezus

What about those bat:cuss crazy black rage monsters they had locked up and released in blood of Baal. I can't remember what they called them but they where more than just death company.

It would be cool, some kind of semi demonic BA wulfen things. You could make them absolute monsters in close combat but with chaotic rules like they charge any and every unit near them, something along those lines.

What about those bat:cuss crazy black rage monsters they had locked up and released in blood of Baal. I can't remember what they called them but they where more than just death company.

It would be cool, some kind of semi demonic BA wulfen things. You could make them absolute monsters in close combat but with chaotic rules like they charge any and every unit near them, something along those lines.

[insert "no"-meme of choice here]

I hope not! They wre only let loose in that one instance, and from the background I remember Guilliman chose to remain silent about them. To me that does not sound like GW wants to expand on them in the future - and I really hope I am right! If you want deranged monsters fighting for you, play Space Wolves, or go Chaos. :wink:

realistically...

Units:

• if librarian dreads get a new model, it'll probably be generic, which i think is more than fair.
  • baal predator is being "replaced" with one of the new gladiator variants
  • death company dread and furioso dread i could see being replaced by a generic melee dread honestly, perhaps we'd then get a datasheet to run it as a death company one similar to how DC intercessors work.
  • sanguinary priest i could see maybe getting a primaris version of eventually maybe, he's a unique character we've had since at least 3rd ed (i don't own angels of death anymore to check that).
  • death company chaplain, i doubt it will see a primaris version tbh.
  • death company - we already have death company intercessors, i expect their datasheet to be expanded to include more options once we get our supplement. But i am doubtful of proper model support for them anymore.
  • sanguinary guard - i think if we get primaris ones it'll be like the victrix guard and be a 2 man unit with Dante, rather than a proper squad like we currently have.

Characters:

• Tycho - clearly not
  • Lemartes - no, i don't think they'd use it on him as whilst he is (barely) holding it together, its only a matter of time before he fully succumbs to the rage.
  • Astorath - maybe eventually, but not any time soon, his model is nice but weirdly tiny.
  • Sanguinor - he won't be made primaris, doesn't make any sense as a warp entity.
  • Corbulo - he'd be a nice one to see, make his kit a dual kit for both him and primaris sanguinary priest (like the DA Lazarus kit)
  • Seth - i don't think it'll happen any time soon tbh, but maybe, i can't see the Flesh Tearers getting better treatment than the Templars, so if we see a primaris templar character, we might see a primaris flesh tearer one.
  • Dante - i think he is a good bet, we know he specifically wants to do it, we also know that something about the swarm lords wounds have meant he literally isn't healing, i.e. without something like this (primaris specifically have an even better healing factor in the furnace) he'll die eventually. We also know he didn't originally do it as they wanted to prove it worked and used Mephiston as their guinea pig as it was that or instant death for him. I'd bet money that when we get a supplement we'll see a Dante model, and i'm really hoping we see sanguinairy guard at the same time.

another thing - a few of the primaris models have armour designed to be more form fitting to muscles now, which i think is a good indication Dante will have that style of armour (like the chaplain and the new judicar)