Truth and Hatred (Deathwatch Short Story)

Shinros

New short story, hope you all enjoy it! 

Chapter 1

Gareth was sitting at his desk within his cell. His room, if you could call it such, was essentially a square box which only held a plain mat for sleeping when he required it and a small wooden shrine to the vaunted Emperor. His personal items are always a font of discussion within the Deathwatch, especially since he was a Watch Captain. 

He tries to ignore the idle remarks about his faith since it was a strange curiosity among the astartes. But he couldn’t begrudge them for it, across the trans-human army they all largely saw the Emperor as someone to be respected, he was fulcrum upon which the Imperium was built. 

He was also their distant grandfather, the man that forged the empire they are charged to protect. But for a Black Templar, the relationship was different. To Gareth, the Emperor was divinity, an entity that was far above than what his cousins and even his fellows brothers from other chapters believe. How can you define something as a man when he brings light to the entire galaxy? When he pours his gift upon saints? Nor can they explain whenever his own brothers are shielded from witchcraft by faith alone. 

Gareth ironically smiled, he began looking over the mission details which sat upon his desk, but his jovial mood darkened as his eyes laid upon the objective. ‘Capture the Magus of Arum-4’ he said out loud. He was charged with a curious mission, one from an inquisitor he knows well. Yrian always gives him the odd tasks, question was what did the inquisitor want with a Magus?

Normally it was frowned upon to ask such things about Kill-Team missions, but as a captain he has to. Too many times the Deathwatch are caught in the web of a heretical inquisitor. In turn that would put Kill-Team members in jeopardy, many wish to return to their chapters and he felt it was part of his role to ensure that occurs. Thankfully, Yrian was strange but he was no heretic.

At times Gareth wonders why he remains with the alien hunters, he guesses it was his first brush with the tainted heretics who worship xeno-forms. The dark forces of the warp in a sense require consent, a person must choose to become a slave. To put on the shackles that bind them forever to a dark destiny. When it came to xeno cults it was different, terribly so. A vaunted warrior can prepare his spirit to battle evil, the alien cares not for it. They can infect, twist and change the most pious of souls without even a word.  

Just thinking of it caused Gareth’s fingers to coil in disgust. When he first heard among the Deathwatch that they would rather let the galaxy burn than allow a xeno to live he thought they were mad. That their senses were lost upon them. Yet with time and experience clarity graced him. He understood the wisdom behind the mindset. It was that hatred, the hot and honest emotion that made him linger here. As he dwelled on his roiling anger he recalled his task at hand. Even so it took some time to cool down, he then continued to go over the mission file.

It was noted by Yrian the cult has already gone through several birth cycles, meaning the planet has become a nest. In other words a planet-wide purge must take place before normalcy can return to the world. The other problem was the fact it was a shrine world, a cult entrenched within the ecclesiarchy are always difficult to deal with. Too many shields in such places, too many blind, greedy priests waiting to stuff their mouths with more praise. The creatures of such a world grow obese, they begin to lumber upon their false worship. In the end Deathwatch were the scalpel, perhaps the capture of this Magus will allow them to understand the xeno cults further. 

Alien worshippers were still a rather new phenomenon, strange and dark traits are constantly being chronicled and in order to hunt something, one needed knowledge. This mission was part of a greater whole. Gareth closed the mission file, he opened his desk and pulled out a folder and slapped it upon his desk. Within the file were the Astartes under him, normally he would organise a team and hand out a mission to one of them. But since this was a request from Yrian, he decided he had to do this personally. 

Dealing with a xeno cult was dangerous work, he needs brothers who will not hesitate or ask too many questions. Questions have their place, each mission was a learning experience. To learn, was how one survived within the Deathwatch. It didn’t take Gareth long to find the people he needed. He lingered upon three astartes, Barbotos, a Dark Angel Librarian, an aged soul with heavy lines upon his face. Veterans in his experience normally aren’t sent to Deathwatch, considering his chapter he doubted he would find out why. 

The second Astartes was an Iron Hand, known as Frogad, half of his face was cybernetic. Whether that came from an injury or was self-inflicted Gareth couldn’t say. He desires an Iron Hand because they help keep missions in perspective, their quick and blunt words have saved him many times. Finally, the last member he chose was a Blood Angel known as Marius. He was an apothecary, he appeared young, pale-skinned and had short blonde hair. The Angels have a great hatred of the Tyranids considering they are at war with them. 

Wars normally lead to hatred, hatred will help keep Marius’ mind clear of petty displays of kindness and he wanted to give the Angel a helping hand, knowledge which might be needed to aid them in their war. Gareth scrutinized his choices, he wanted to find holes in them and think of ways to possibly plug them. All angles had to be observed for it they weren’t doom could fall upon his team, personally he had no problems dying for the Deathwatch but normally those who are forced to be here are not. Many Captains lose consciousness upon that delicate aspect. 

There are training sessions where rival chapters or astartes who share no bad blood try to get another “killed” such ill-timed acts are punished harshly, but it could leak upon a mission. Gareth grimaced. ‘I have to check their logs. Ever petulant our rivalries can be at times.’ he said flatly. 

He doubted he would find anything, but he had to make sure. He knew he had his team, but he had to know everything about them.  

‘That is enough!’ The demand from Canonness Alivia didn’t shake Sister Superior Anna of the Sanctified Halo. Again she had been called into the canonness’ study due to her illicit investigations into Greyfall. Arum was a prosperous planet, but corruption can always leak into the cracked crevices. Issue was the vaunted graveyard quarter had no issues.

To Anna, no one was perfect. To say otherwise was the height of arrogance. She met Aliva’s contempt of her investigation without hesitation. ‘Canoness, do you not think it’s strange how they are without blemish?’ 

‘Yes it is strange.’ she replied. ‘But, they’ve been investigated, several times I might add.’ 

‘They’re hiding something, no one is perfect. It’s common for the corrupted to hide behind a gilded halo until they’re ready to strike. Even though their record is perfect they’re expanding far too quickly. It's a complaint among the clergy.’

‘The priests of Greyfall are the example set, the bar that the others should reach. We are not the gophers of priests Anna, we make sure they stay in line.’

‘Which is what I am doing, Greyfall is disrupting the delicate balance. My canoness I am sure you’re aware of what the priests are like once they see a rival?’ The statement made Alivia cast her eyes down, just slightly, enough to make her consider the ill outcome which could befall Arum-4 if the priests grow tired of an upstart rival. When her scrutinising gaze returned to Anna she didn’t like how firm Alivia's eyes have now become. 

‘If they start a shadow war with their militia we will deal with it.’ 

‘Would it only be a shadow war if Saint Alessia is made the patron of Arum-4?’ 

‘That won’t happen.’ Her canoness’ voice was level, but he held a thin razor edge of contempt since the topic of Alessia was brought to the forefront. Alessia was the stain upon their order, the one who shamed them. She took back what they could not, plague fell upon Greyfall and her order created a quarantine in response. No one was meant to enter, no one was allowed to leave. Yet there was one who disoybed, she entered the plague ridden area and in a matter of days the heretics were cleared away. 

The order sought to punish her for actions, but Cardinal-Govenor Isiah granted her clemency. In order to avoid a conflict, The Santcified Halo stepped back, but Alessia was stricken from their records. Anna wasn’t even part of the galaxy back then, the event occurred over two centuries ago. ‘Canoness, please give me a writ. If I find nothing this will be the end of the matter.’ Said Anna. 

‘No.’ The reply was quick and without a hint of hesitation. ‘This is the end of the matter. Don’t let me hear of this again.’ Anna was about to open her mouth but she held her tongue. She bowed and left the study. When she arrived in the hallway Vivian and Isabel were waiting for her. Upon her appearance Vivian seemed disappointed, the scar lining her dark skin oddly played in well with her frown, while Isabel seemed disinterested, her purple eyes seemed distant. Anna wondered if such a thing was a cadian trait.    

‘I wasn’t punished. But she wants this to end.’ said Anna, she proceeded to walk past her sisters, both followed her steps. 

‘As it should.’ Isabel’s words hung in the air, Vivian directed her displeasure at her fellow sister. 

‘You know something is wrong with that place. We can’t ignore it.’

‘I’m not. But it’s not our place, the Canoness most likely has her own agents and our acts might jeopardize the investigation.’ As they were beginning to argue Anna directed her attention to Vivian, she was right. 

‘We can’t ignore it, but what can we do?’ Anna’s question made Vivian regard her, that was when Vivian’s disappointment flipped into a smile. 

‘I have a new lead. A priest has infiltrated the Greyfall catacombs, we-’

‘Enough with the leads.’ Isabel interrupted. ‘Last time we found nothing, how about we follow protocol and prove that we can be part of Alivia’s investigation?’ Anna could sense another trade of words quickly approaching between her sisters. She moved in to intercept.

‘Sometimes heretics can drift beyond the Emperor’s notice, they can be both insidious and terrible in ways that are beyond imagining. Vigilance is needed in order to penetrate the darkness being held within the radiant halo. For the heretic always seeks to spread its seed.’ The verse brought silence to her sisters, just for a few brief seconds, the peace was distrubed by Isabel. 

‘One last time, that’s it.’ 

‘I know Isabel. One last time. We’ll head there tomorrow.’ Again silence reigned, despite her grievances if they find nothing that will be it. No more chasing shadows.  
Edited by Shinros

Chapter 2   

The chosen have been gathered around the table, Gareth was thankful they all appeared calm as they read the basic outline of the mission parameters. Often the warriors who tend to care more for fragile peculiarities tend to fidget like a small child. The first to lower their file was Apothecary Marius. ‘A human cult that worships aliens? Does the Deathwatch need to deal with something like this? Such things are rare, but not out of the ordinary. Local forces can deal with something like this, even capturing a psyker.’ 

With each spoken syllable Gareth couldn’t help but catch hints of Marius’ fangs, he knows what they are for and has seen them in use during a mission. The Blood Angel in question was terrified, but Gareth swore all around him to secrecy. He even recommended that the watch commander adjust their daily psycho-indoctrination to ensure they won’t speak of the matter.  

If any of his brothers back in his chapter saw such a thing the young Blood Angel would have been eliminated and marked as deviant. It was strange how he often reflects whenever he was before an astartes belonging to a different gene-line. At first he used to judge others for their strange practices, now? He feels nothing. He was about to respond to the apothecary, but Frogad addressed Marius.

‘Mortals are limited.’ he said sternly. ‘They always bow to the nearest altar or strange sign that graces their eyes. Still, I somewhat align with you Marius. We’re hunters, we don’t capture, we kill.’

‘Hunters require knowledge in order to adequately track and kill their prey. Why assume that the thing we are being sent after is even mortal or human? It’s an alien.’ Said Barbotos. The aged liberian caused Frogad and Marius to shift slightly in their chairs. They were acting like children after their points were shot down by pointed wisdom. Yet, Gareth could not help but smile at the fact one of their number has most likely fought against the alien worshippers.

‘Barbotos is correct.’ Gareth finally added himself to the conversation. ‘We’re going to capture an alien. A Magus of the cult located within Arum-4. Commonly such cults entrench themselves in places where they can keep their mutants hidden.’ He pulls out a map of Arum-4 from his file, he points to Greyfall. ‘The city holds a graveyard quarter. Perfect place to hide, the catacombs are likely their main base.’ 

‘How do you know this? Are you guessing?’ Frogad’s cybernetic eye beamed a bright red, Iron Hands were warriors of brutal logic, they also liked to be confrontational. 

‘Experience.’ Gareth replied. ‘Something you will gain if you listen.’ The Iron Hand said nothing more, likely he was testing him. Ironic considering he was a watch captain, Gareth wasn’t upset at the remark. The comment delivered by his cousin was just his nature. ‘Now our team will infiltrate the city via sewer tunnel-6354. This route has links towards Greyfall. From there…’ Gareth looks at the librarian. ‘We’ll rely upon you.’

Barbotos stroked his beard, he was focused upon the map. ‘You wish for me to locate the Magus?’ 

‘Yes, can you do it?’ 

‘I can. The witches among the cults are petty magicians of ill skill. They bring wonder to their heretics through small tricks, along with the lack of discipline and training? It shouldn’t be hard. But there is a problem, untrained psykers are dangerous, I assume you have the means to control it?’ Gareth said nothing, he removed a psy-jammer collar from his pouch and placed it upon the table. The Librarian said nothing else. 

He then moved to conclude the briefing, what kept him from doing so was the concern lining the pale features of the apothecary. ‘Do you have a question Marius?’ asked Gareth. 

‘I do, before Frogad said we are hunters. I agree, but what reason do we have to skulk in sewers? We can enlist the aid of the local clergy and forces upon the world. Considering your chapter it shouldn’t be that difficult considering what you believe.’ Gareth dwelled on the question before answering, how would it be best to frame what he was about to say? He decided to be honest. 

‘When Frogad said mortals are limited he spoke truly. To be frank Marius, mortals have disappointed me in ways that I cannot describe, especially when it comes to the faithful. The thing about priests and even the vaunted Adeptus Sororitas is that they can be a terrifying hammer when wielded correctly. But what happens when they face something that weave through such a terrible onslaught with ease? You get what is occurring on Arum.’ To express his point he removed three bolt pistol magazines from his belt and placed it upon the table in a line. This would be an important lesson for Frogad and Marius if they wished to survive within the Deathwatch. 

‘Consider what is before you, you have three paths one can take in dealing with a conflict. The Deathwatch is the scalpel which continually adds paths in order to destroy the alien.’ He added a few more magazines to the line. ‘We’re trained to consider all angles, all avenues. It’s why you have training sessions to even sneak through a window without being detected. Those sort of exercises are normally absurd for our kind unless you are a certain breed of Raven. When it comes to the vaunted clergy?’ Gareth removes each magazine until there is one left in the middle. ‘They only see one path. This ensures that skilled heretics find no burden in moving around them. They never suspect those who might be the most pious among them for they think piety is a shield against the alien. The alien unlike the dark forces don’t care for it. They will take this vaunted shield and use it to hide themselves.’

‘Right then, I understand.’ said Marius ‘but how can the alien take this so-called shield? We’re just dealing with a cult after all.’ Gareth thought to describe in detail the capabilities of alien worshippers, especially the kind they are dealing with. To deconstruct this alien menace would take time they do not have. 

‘Marius if I was to lead a war against this cult I would murder every man, woman and child on that planet. I would lead a massacre that would make those lesser weep in terror and sadness.’ The apothecary became aghast with shock, he was clearly displeased, while Frogad and Barbotos remained calm in light of the proclamation. 

‘That’s…’ his voice trailed off.   

‘Barbaric? At this moment there are no innocents on Arum. In the future you may have to slaughter those you swore to protect when you go back home Marius.’ Gareth caught his attention, the comment caused the apothecary to furrow his brow, deep confusion was falling upon him. As Gareth said to Frogad, experience was needed in order to make the correct decisions. Marius will finally be able to see the evil his chapter might have to deal with in the wake of the Tyranids. 

Gareth proceeded to gather the documents, he closed the file and gave a keen stare to each kill-team member. ‘This marks the end of the briefing. Meet me in docking bay 34 in three hours.’ His chosen astartes didn’t say a word, they picked up their own files and left the room. Once he was alone he inwardly sighed, this mission could go extremely smoothly or be incredibly difficult. He hoped it would be the former.  

Anna was standing before the church of Saint Lena, Vivian and Isabel were with her. The small parish was small and built from wood, it bears a classic quality she enjoys. In her experience churches have essentially become a vanity project for the preacher who tended to them. Churches should be a place of worship, not a sight to impress the nobles. Anna’s mood begins to brighten in light of what was before her that was until she recalled her task. She then quickly walked inside with her sisters. 

Upon entering the church she finds the interior pleasing as well, stained glass windows depicting the Emperor’s Children, wooden benches and candles. At the end of the aisle was a palanquin for the preacher. At the moment there were nuns and monks, tending to the church. Vivian came to the front. ‘Let me talk with them first, I’ll get us to the priest.’ 

‘Very well.’ Anna replied. With her acknowledgement her sister approached one of the nuns who was lightning a candle. She traded words with the church member, their discussion seemed rather long. Every so often the nun would nod in understanding. 

‘She’s taking too long.’ Isabel said with a tinge of annoyance. 

‘Perhaps she is trying to convince them of our just cause sister?’ 

‘Anyone should be eager to help us oust the heretics. If they aren’t they hide darkness in their hearts.’ Anna's heart fluttered for a moment. Isabel was right, but people are afraid. They can be at times. When their conversation finished Vivian returned, she seemed concerned. 

‘Father Joel is quite… shaken at the moment. We can see him but we must be tender. His study is at the other end of this hall.’ Anna took the warning from her sister seriously, this was their last lead she couldn’t squander it. They all headed down the aisle and at the other end was a set of double doors. She decided to be courteous in light of Vivian's warning and knocked. It didn’t take long for the door to open, just enough to see the preacher’s wrinkled face. 

‘This is rare, what do the blessed brides of the Emperor want with me?’ The eyes of Father Joel were frantic and stricken with fear. Anna forced a smile.  

‘Greetings Father Joel, there is a matter I wish to discuss with you. Can we enter your study please?’ She could see the defiance in his brown eyes, he wants to say no. Question was he couldn’t. Joel opened the door allowing them entry and as he walked in he closed it. Anna spared a brief moment to look around, his study was like his church. There were bookshelves holding holy scripture, scattered scrolls on the floor and his desk was covered with books. Joel hurried to his desk while making his apologies for the state of his office.  

‘Do forgive me, I’ve not had much time to clean up.’

‘You’ve haven’t done anything wrong, Father Joel. I think your church shows me that you are an honest man.’ Said Anna. Joel gave her a sad smile as he sat, he bought his hands together. 

‘So, what can I do to help you?’ She sensed he wanted this matter over with quickly so Anna decided to be plain about her motivations. 

‘Greyfall, I wish to investigate it. I heard you have a lead surrounding it’s corruption. Do you know anything?’ The question caused the priest to tense, sweat dribbled down the side of his brow. Joel swallowed a glob of spit before speaking. 

‘Please, I don’t wish to see you harmed.’ 

‘You don’t need to worry about my safety. We go where darkness seeks to gather.’ Suddenly the priest banged the tables with his hands, his face screwed into the picture of inner torment. Tears were welling up in his eyes. 

‘They’re evil.’ He hissed. ‘I thought they were strange so I took a few trusted militiamen down into the sewers, it connects to the catacombs. The gravediggers have to work underground constantly, some don’t even see the light of day. So it’s best they have all their needs met in their workplace. But… But…’ The tears finally fell. ‘The horror… the horror of what they are doing down there…’ 

Anna walked forward, she placed her hand upon Joel’s, the action seemed to calm him. ‘Take your time father. Please continue at your own pace.’ The priest wiped away the tears with his other hand, he slowly nodded. 

‘The gravediggers worship at strange idols, ones that I strangely can’t recall. But I know for sure they’re deviants. I…’ Father Joel grunted as if in pain, Anna has seen enough. 

‘Don’t stress yourself. Can you tell us which sewer entrance you used to get to the catacombs?’ Whatever pain gripped the priest fell away, he took a few shallow breaths. 

‘Yes, any of the entrances located on the main road heading to Greyfall should do. But please… don’t go. You’re young… they like the young...’ He started sobbing again, Anna slowly removed her hand. She decided it would be best to go. In the end the signs were obvious to her, something was definitely wrong with Greyfall, she aimed to find out why.

Chapter 3

Valkra was walking through the catacombs belonging to their dead saints and leaders. Lining the hallways were statues, each of them were wearing shrouds and were holding a cup to signify the essence which binds them all. Some were even depicted as pouring the blessed blood over the unwashed masses. Each statue was carefully crafted to capture the respective individual, one day she will be here if the great Patriarch doesn’t call for the great uprising. 

So far during the last century and a half, her faith has sent pilgrims to the stars to ensure Alessia’s teachings and blood will always live on. Thinking of beyond caused her thoughts to drift to her bodyguards who were whispering to one another, as her head moved they ceased their conversation. Her two guards were young neophytes, their names were Lithia and Kairo. Both held a similar facial structure marking them as twins, but there were differences. Lithia skin tone held a hint of mauve while her brother’s forehead ridges were more pronounced. 

Just for a moment she reflected upon their mining gear which was covered in dust and grime, while hers was spotless. The uniform belonging to the gravediggers has been interwoven with her purple garments. Offerings were also strapped to be belt, small vials of black blood, charms and spiral tokens. Each item she has personally blessed, what was unfortunate for Valkra was the fact she can’t wear her ceremonial clothing above. The reason was simple, people fear what they don’t understand. Especially those who dwell upon this world. 

Still, she couldn’t help but smile all the same, the priests who cry and shout hatred for the alien always accept their gifts. It was a common story, priests fearing the cold clutch of the grave after their rejuvenation treatments stopped working readily bend to their offers. She has seen them guzzle down the blessed black blood herself, with each gulp they gasp in joy and ecstasy at their renewed vitality.  Even nobles who have trouble bearing children are also valued targets, with a few whispered words they readily drink and breed to add their genes to the brood. These acquisitions have made her decide to build pleasure houses to facilitate the ritual practice in order to bring new life into the world.   

Valkra had to admit she gained a great sense of satisfaction bringing the bloodlines of the greatest priests and nobles into their circle. Alessia has always said “never squander the powerful, misguided they are but they still bring forth children who are strong in mind and spirit.” All of the disciples hold to that truth keenly, at this point she feels it was part of their nature to seek them out and guide them to the blessed brood. 

It was also pleasing to see that in time they also let go of their hatred and see the wisdom in the gifts the true Emperor seeks to provide them all. They also come to understand that they will have to give these gifts back when the Angels descend. For her faith was a grand piece in a glorious cycle.  

The tales brought from the stars which have showered the Maguses of Arum with new wisdom. When the Emperor directs his Angels to kill and to bring the rejoining, those who plead to die are ignored. To her such mysteries are what marks a god, they should never be clearly defined for how can a mortal truly understand something that was so far beyond them in scope?

All she can do is interpret the signs and guide her flock. It has now become a truth that some will survive and others will not. The survivors will carry on with the holy work, bringing the blessed rejoining to other worlds until nothing was left. That was their dream, to become a quiet whisper within the great mind of the Emperor.

‘Lady Valkra, have you heard anythin’ yet?’ Valkra stopped, she gripped her staff tightly in response to Kairo’s question. She has heard the query many times, the trouble was she couldn’t give a direct answer. She fully turned to her armed guards, Kairo’s sister appeared furious. 

‘Think where you are dimwit! You wanna get punished?’ 

‘C’mon sis, were all curious.’ 

‘And you’re an idiot!’ Lithia quickly bowed, she pushed her brother’s head down as well. ‘Forgive us my lady. My brother’s lips flips too much.’ Valkra smiled, it was gentle to show she wasn’t displeased, she also nudged the emotion into their minds causing the neophytes to rise. Words didn’t need to be said due to the holy brood mind and her mastery over it. Despite her instruction Valkra began speaking.

‘I’ve heard that question so many times and your brother has done nothing wrong. We wallow in wonder when the great uprising will begin. But as you know the Patriarch hasn’t given the order. That’s all I can tell the both of you.’ She turned back around and continued walking, questions still prickled both their minds. That was when she became annoyed, not with them but at the situation. 

With their faith blossoming, so do their numbers increase. The great Patriarch has decided to move to Arum-1, away from his birthplace and of their religion. It would be wise to try and remain close to the Cardinal-Govenor but she had to admit she felt bitter that she wasn’t the voice of the entire religion. She wasn’t the chosen of The Patriarch, all she was at the moment was the Magus of the gene-sect and nothing else. 

Valkra tried to swallow her virulent thoughts, she focused on the journey and eventually she arrived at the entrance of a shrine, one belonging to Saint Alessia. She proceeded to walk up the steps and entered the antechamber. The room held statues of Alessia’s six disciples, the six were among the first to be given the gift of the fallen angel. Beyond the chamber was the statue of Alessia herself.

The blessed saint was depicted with long hair, she was wearing nothing save a shroud, but the difference between the other statues was the fact she had four arms. Held in each hand was an item which bore ritual significance. The four items were a Sword, Book, Chalice and the sacred Spiral. The Sword represented the uprising and that they may have to fight in order to bring enlightenment, the book showed the path of peace in opening the eyes of the blind. Words and offers can easily bring an enemy over than a blade. Thirdly, the chalice represents their holy blood, it binds them all to the Broodmind and finally the sacred spiral is the act of birth and death. 

It was only in recent times, within the last century where rites have been undertaken to bind their souls to the Broodmind. The more powerful the Broodmind becomes, the easier it was to weave miracles. With that thought on her mind she sat, cross-legged and closed her eyes. That was when she could, hear and feel the chorus of voices consuming their holy network. 

But something was odd, the voices which were long dead gathered around her. The purple blinking lights hissed and howled until they began to speak. Val’tomosnik vak! Telo’cthua! 

Valkra’s mouth moved with them, the image of the Broodmind bled away, she was now standing in a desert, surrounded by dusty old bones and the bleak age of their world. From the skies itself strange humanoids were descending, all of them came in two colours. Some were dark as the night itself and the rest were bright gold. The sight of this caused confusion to flood her system, she sought the meaning behind what was before her and that was when they descended, causing her eyes to flick open and as she looked up to the shrine understanding came. She knew what was coming and what they wanted.  

The Magus rose, with the aid of her staff, she then turned to her two guards and called them both over. ‘Come here, please. I have orders for the both of you.’ The twins appeared to be worried, she could even feel it, despite their grievances they obeyed. 

What she would do next didn’t require her to touch them, she burned a set of orders into their minds. With the action her own eyes took on a cold-yellow hue as she used her sacred power. Valkra didn’t want the uprising to trigger early, at the same time she wanted to deal with the invaders. The black creatures wanted her alive and the gold ones seek to uncover her faith, both are terrible outcomes but she knew what to do and how to avert that fate.

Chapter 4

Gareth walked down the ramp of the Corvus Blackstar with Alpha Kill-Team, his hand was resting on the pommel of his sheathed powerblade and the other held a storm shield. Ironically as his feet touched the ground he felt uneasy as he stared at the monstrous city in the distance. A thing of gold, silver and bright, blinking spires which reach the skies, cherubs were fluttering in the air but the distance made them appear as if small ants. This world was a project of pure vanity for the priests who dwell upon it. They had no idea of the evil growing in their midst, it was likely they were already a part of it. 

‘The city appears so unassuming doesn’t it?’ said Barbotos. 

‘How so Librarian?’ asked Frogad. The aged Astartes tapped the haft of his force staff on the ground, Gareth wondered if it was a habit of his whenever he wanted to impart some form of wisdom. 

‘Most would think this place protected, it would appear so for how could a cult survive on a world dedicated to the Emperor? The gold spires should blind those who dwell in unfettered darkness, the great edfices erected should protect those who cleave true to the creed….’

‘Is there a point of this?’ The Iron Hand was becoming mildly annoyed, he was now checking his heavy bolter, eager to get away from the conversation. 

‘The point is the Emperor can’t protect them.’ Said Gareth. 

‘That’s surprising to hear coming from you.’Said Marius. At the moment the Blood Angel had just activated his servo-skull, his eyes were also upon his Narthecium, the bolter he bought with him was mag-locked to his leg.

Gareth smiled at the Angel’s statement ‘What happens when a heretic can say for the Emperor so well, with such heart that you have no idea they hide darkness within their blood and souls? You get Arum.’ He drew his blade, Gareth began to walk towards their entry point, the others weren’t moving. Gareth let his own thoughts loose again, he decided to push his point further. He turned his head back slightly to his Kill-Team who were all watching him. 

‘Hatred is both honest and clear.’ Gareth said firmly. ‘This hatred is wrapped in rite, ritual and training which in turn creates us, the Adeptus Astartes. We are the Emperor’s hatred to be let loose upon those who do not fit his version. The Deathwatch merely teaches us to hate just a little more, for the horrors of the galaxy are never-ending and without remorse.’ He turned his head back and continued walking, now he was met with footsteps. 

The journey to the tunnel didn’t take long, he made sure that the flyer landed close enough to the city and to ensure that they didn’t draw attention. In time they arrived at what appears to be a tunnel, grime and sewage covered the ground around the entrance. What Gareth found strange was the fact there were footprints heading out. ‘Weapons at the ready.’ He ordered. ‘I’ll take point with Barbotos.’ Gareth then regarded the librarian. ‘Are you ready?’

Barbotos said nothing, he closed his eyes and the tip of his force staff began glowing. He then nodded. ‘I am, I know where she is.’ Nothing more needed to be said, they entered the tunnel. It took them moments to find themselves in a sewer and upon the walls was strange graffiti. The wall was marked with spiral symbols, dragons and a crowd reaching up to winged angels who were descending. 

‘What is this?’ asked Marius. 

‘Their dream.’ Gareth replied. ‘But their dream is a lie.’

‘Dream?’

‘They wait for the Tyranids.’ said Barbotos.

‘They worship the Hive Mind.’ Gareth’s comment made Frogad bristle, he shook his head. 

‘It’s not a god.’ the Iron Hand said firmly. 

‘To be frank, we know little of what the Hive Mind actually is or why it devours worlds. It’s commonly known amongst command across the Imperium that all the Tyranids want is to eat, but Deathwatch records describes that sometimes the Hive Mind acts in ways we don’t expect. It’s doing things beyond just eating.’ Gareth hoped to leave it at that but Marius asked another question.

‘So there is a mind within the Tyranid menace that might be planning something we have no idea about?’

‘Enough questions. Focus on the mission.’ Gareth’s order made everything fall silent save the grime that was travelling in the ditches. He could tell the Blood Angel that the Hive Mind is building something on a world. The entity was also drawing its cultists towards it but telling him such a thing now would only distract Marius. 

The Kill-Team moved on, at the same time Barbotos was pointing out which turns they should take, but Gareth stops them upon reaching a corner as he hears voices. Gareth then steps forward and pulls out a tiny camera which is linked with his autosenses. He placed the camera just at the edge of the corner, so the machine could see ahead of them, and what he saw was a group of armed mutants. He recognised the ridges upon their foreheads, the claws and the mauve tinted skin. Only reason why they must have such mutations out in the open was the fact they felt comfortable and safe underground. That was about to change. ‘Frogad. Six hostiles, no armour and armed with autoguns. End them.’ Gareth ordered. 

The Iron Hand returns an affirmative, he walks out the mutants turn in surprise but that was all Frogad allowed. The heavy bolter barked like a roaring lion, shredding the mutants. Their bodies ruptured as the mass-reactive shells crashed upon their forms, covering the surrounding sewer in a red haze. When the onslaught ceased all that was left were body parts and rivers of blood pouring down into the ditches. 

Frogad then turned towards Gareth. ‘Hostiles eliminated.’ He said flatly. 

Gareth nodded, he took point again and Barbotos eventually led them to a tunnel. So far they haven’t encountered any more of the mutants which concerned Gareth. The heavy bolter should have been loud enough to alert the monsters. Perhaps they were fortunate? At times those bound by a Genestealer do not know what they are. In his experience those xeno cults are normally the most disorganised and fearful. 

Gareth lingered on that possibility but soon dismissed it. He thought it would be best to carry on towards their target and leave quickly. He turned to the Librarian. ‘How far away are we?’ asked Gareth. 

Barbotos tapped the haft of his Force Staff on the ground again, which confirmed the Librarian's habit. ‘We’re close, the creature can do little to shelter itself from my gaze. It tries to hide but I quickly catch its presence. She is beyond this tunnel.’

‘Good, onwards. We must act quickly. Be on guard.’ With Gareth’s reply his team entered the tunnel he hoped this wasn’t a trap. 

Anna could see Greyfall in the distance, the graveyard quarter was both an oddity and it was largely segregated. But they were expanding, she could see it. New buildings were being raised. Ironically she also found it strange how the roads connecting to the dark quarter bears such a rustic view, bountiful grass and cobbled walls. Across the field were manhole covers, the sewers around Greyfall supposedly connected to the catacombs and that was what she desired to investigate. Isabel was working on moving the manhole cover while Vivian was clutching her bolter tightly, she was looking around, most likely searching for hostiles. 

When the cover was free, Isabel looked up to her. ‘You can still change your mind.’

‘We’re already here Isabel. I won’t be dissuaded.’ Her sister said nothing further, they all took the ladder down into the sewer. As their feet touched the ground Anna drew her bolter. Once they were all within the sewer they began their exploration, it didn’t take them long to encounter several sewer workers. 

Each were wearing grey overalls and caps, they were cleaning the walls or making sure the grates which redirected the grime slushing through the sewers were in good condition. Anna questioned whether she should approach them, but decided it would be best to speak to the workers here. The catacombs were corrupted, not the sewers. A simple conversation would allow her to easily determine if the corruption has spread.

Anna approached with her sisters, the workers stopped their tasks and at once, in single motion their eyes fell upon her. The movement was too smooth, too quick for her liking. When she was among them a man approached, he was a scrawny thing, barely any muscle and his face was drawn. He smiled at her. ‘Can I help ya miss?’ 

‘Yes, you can. What is your name?’

‘Trevon miss.’

‘Right, Trevon, have you noticed anything strange occurring within these sewers?’ 

‘Well…’ he removed his hat, revealing a bald head. There wasn’t even a hint of hair upon it. ‘You see, the thing is… gangs have been prowlin’ the sewers. Killin’, wackin’ each other and causing all sorts of problems. They’ve also been making this… strange graffiti on the walls. I avoid having my people working around such areas, might be cursed.’ 

Anna listened, she was about to speak but Vivanne added herself to the conversation. ‘Why haven’t you reported this?’ 

‘We haven’t reported it cause no one listens to us!’ he exclaimed, suddenly his eyes turned wide in fear, his fellow colleagues cast downwards or towards the ditches. To Anna this meant it was a wide-spread issue. 

‘I see, can you lead us to this area then?’ asked Anna. 

‘A-Are you sure? Don’t want to see ya hurt you know, it would weigh upon me too much.’

‘Do not worry, three of us should be enough to handle gangs.’ Trevon sighed heavily, he seemed dejected. 

‘Right then follow me.’ As they all began walking, Trevon’s workers fell in behind him. But Anna stopped, they all strangely mimicked her action. 

‘Trevon.’ she said firmly. ‘We only want you to lead us.’ The sewer worker seemed surprised but he agreed. As they gained some distance from his fellows Isabel contacted her on the private communication channel. Anna blinked several times, activating the runes to prevent her voice from being projected through her helm. 

‘Good choice.’ Said Isabel. 

‘They wish to ambush us.’ Anna replied. ‘Their motions, how they moved almost at once as we met them. They’re not human, they’re lost.’ 

‘We will encounter more of them. Wherever it is leading us will have more heretics waiting in the shadows.’

‘Which in turn will confirm my suspicion.’ The conversation ended there, ideally she hoped she would encounter mutants further proving the corruption that hides beneath their world. Perhaps the tendrils of darkness have spread further than Greyfall? In time the truth will be clear, depending on when Trevon and his fellow heretics will act.

Chapter 5

The tunnel was illuminated by the power of Barbotos, a blue orb hovered over them and with each step Gareth could feel it. The wormy tendrils try to reach out, but as they touch his mind they flinch back almost as if in disgust. 

‘How are you doing that?’ The question from Barbotos was one he has heard many times. He could tell Marius and Frogad were also curious as well, they most likely can sense or perhaps feel the fact that someone was trying to intrude upon their minds. 

‘Abhor the witch, Destroy the Witch.’ Gareth said flatly. The vow was a part of him, when he spoke of hatred for a Black Templar it was deeper than that. Barbotos existence was a necessary one, but if it no longer wasn’t he wouldn’t hesitate to kill him. It was the same for any witch. 

‘Ah, so you despise my existence then?’ The Librarian seemed almost whimsical, he wasn’t offended either. Which meant he understood, something to which Gareth was thankful for.

‘Yes I do. You serve a function, nothing more. I’m merely more lenient compared to my brothers back within my Chapter. You would be hard pressed to find someone who would wish to work with a witch. Commonly when a Black Templar joins Deathwatch that is the first thing they must work upon.’

The Dark Angel chuckled to himself, Gareth didn’t react.To the majority within the Deathwatch he was the odd one it was truth he constantly reminded himself of. The levity ceased, Barbotos suddenly grumbled. ‘It’s just ahead. Be careful.’ 

The warning made them all alert, Gareth could see a strange light at the end of the tunnel and the tendrils which sought them out had ceased in its entirety. When they left the tunnel they found themselves in a circular chamber with many passages, four-armed statues were carved into the walls and their hands were holding blazing torches. In the middle of it all was the creature they were hunting. 

It was bald and held the form of a female, its skin was tinted mauve and its eyes were yellow, instead of nails her fingers were lined with black claws and her forehead was marked with ridges. She would appear regal to the weak-minded and her eyes would stir unholy desire if it willed it. A charm these creatures use to ensnare prey. ‘Welcome.’ It said. 

It’s voice dripped with dark power, Gareth could feel she was trying to ensnare them and when it didn’t work it raised its eyebrow. Gareth began walking towards it, the rest of the team moved but Barbotos stopped them, further proving he understood what he was. The alien creature raised its hand and unleashed torrents of purple lighting but the witchcraft fizzled away before the strands of energy even touched him. 

The monster staggered back in fear, eyes wide in horror. ‘W-What are you? S-Stay back!’ Her exclamation caused Gareth to break into a run, in a few heartbeats they were now face to face. The creature tried to flee but he grabbed the creature by the shoulder and planted the monster upon the ground. It flailed for a few moments, but his superior strength made it easy to place the psy-jammer upon its neck. 

When the device clicked into place, it began crying, screaming for aid. Its eyes were also rolling back and it only became calm as the creature soiled itself. Gareth could see the monster was roiling due to being cut-off from the Brood Mind, he hefted it to its feet. He didn’t have patience for its dark episode. Ironically it didn’t take the creature long to get to its feet, but it was unbalanced. But that didn’t matter; it could walk, that was all he needed. ‘We must hurry.’ Said Gareth. 

‘This was too easy.’ The comment from Frogad was a truth they all felt, he only voiced it. 

‘Hence why we should hurry.’ Gareth kept hold of the Magus’ shoulder, he dragged it back to the tunnel. As long as it was wearing the psy-jammer and was within proximity of him the alien was helpless. His only worry so far was the journey back, he quickly blinked through the runes upon his autosenses, bringing up a basic map of the sewers, he quickly picked out another route just in case. He hoped this mission would become quick and clean from here, but he doubted it.

Anna could see what Trevon meant, the strange graffiti on the walls caused a chill to run through her spine, the imagery of people reaching up to winged angels and the strange spiral symbols. The iconography was beyond her, she didn’t recognise them. The sewer worker seemed far too calm for her liking as well. He led them to a large tunnel, there was no light beyond them. 

‘What is beyond this tunnel?’ asked Anna. The sewer worker scratched the back of his head, he seemed worried. 

‘Well the issue is the fact the lights are out, don’t know why or how. How about we turn back?’ 

‘No, we head forward or is something wrong Trevon?’ The sewer worker turned back to her. His mouth began moving but a massive shell flew out of the tunnel, silencing him. Trevon’s head exploded, bits of brain and skull flew across the sewer and as his body hit the ground Anna and her sisters pointed their bolters at the tunnel. But what emerged caused her eyes to widen in shock, astartes strode forth. Each of them were covered in black armour and a single pauldron was marked with an inquisitorial eye, mixed with a skull and crossbones. While on the other pauldron was a chapter symbol, they were all different. 

One of them was holding a bald female, a mutant in purple garments. Such a sight was strange, rare even. Anna cursed. ‘Who are you!? Identify yourself!’

‘We should shoot them.’ Vivian hissed on the private communication. ‘They could be traitors.’ Anna wanted to grimly nod and agree with her sister, for if they were Traitor Astartes they likely orchestrated the cult or perhaps were the leaders. In the end they didn’t answer her demand, the Astartes wielding the heavy bolter raised it and he was preparing to fire. 

Anna was about to give the order, but the astartes detaining the mutant began speaking. ‘What is your rank Sister? I’m Gareth Watch Captain of the Deathwatch. You are impending a delicate mission.’ 

‘Sister Superior Anna of the Sanctified Halo, Captain Gareth I could say that you’re impending my mission.’ Anna replied. 

‘You’re seeking the corruption which has claimed your home. I can tell.’ She wondered how did he know or did he make a good guess? The question was to confirm or deny?

‘They’re not traitors.’ Said Isabel, like Vivian she was using their private channel. ‘If they were we would be dead.’ 

‘Traitors lie.’ Vivian retorted. ‘They have a mutant among them.’ Anna said nothing, she eyed the mutant that Gareth held by the shoulder. Her skin was tinted mauve, she had claws and ridges crossed her forehead. Like Trevon she was bald, not even a hint of hair lined her head. She seemed almost delirious. 

‘You speak of corruption Captain, what do you think lead me here?’ Anna posed the question to the astartes, for a moment the only sound which passed between them was the gushing of sewage, the astartes wielding a bolter raised their weapon suddenly. In terms of firepower they will lose. But she had to make sure, thankfully Gareth started speaking.

‘You wonder how a certain area seems so perfect and pristine, no complaints, no anger surrounding those who dwell in the supposed gilded area. No one is without sin, no one has a golden halo. You ask why and shadows constantly get in your way. So you are taking the situation into your own hands.’

Anna lowered her weapon as did Isabel, Vivian still kept her bolter trained upon Gareth. ‘Lower your weapon.’ Anna ordered. Her sister was shaking, almost struggling to follow the command.

‘They could be lying..’ she repeated. 

‘I’ve made my decision Vivian.’ Anna’s reply was firm, eventually her sister obeyed. With the tension lowering the astartes pointing their weapons lowered them as well.

‘Good.’ Said Gareth. ‘Now if you want to survive you should follow us.’ He began walking with his squad, right past them. She didn’t even get the opportunity to ask any questions. Strangely she followed without hesitation as did her sisters. Gareth had the answers she sought, she wondered if this was the Emperor at work? What were the chances of encountering a group of astartes hunting the same quarry? But what has her concerned was the warning. Her only chance for survival was following them, the question was why was that the case?

Chapter 6

Valkra could barely walk, her mind was frayed as the holy voices were silenced by the cursed device around her neck it took her some time to get her bearings. Worst of all she didn’t expect the Black Angel, the astartes to be immune to her holy powers. She could understand why the monster kept her close, despite the device she could still feel his aura. It was absolutely suffocating. But the plan was still intact, she just needed time. Her eyes drifted to the Adeptus Soroitas, their golden armour was at odds with the sewer, but she could use their fanaticism. 
     ‘You’ve come for me.’ The leader turned to her, the halo symbol on her helm marked her out. The astartes holding her shoulder wasn’t reacting, Valkra was thankful for that. 
     ‘What do you want mutant?’
     ‘I have the answers you seek, you won’t get them if you let these… Angels take me. I’m evidence after all.’ Right away her captor’s grip turned tight, she wanted to yelp in pain but she bit it down. The behemoth said nothing for if he did that would likely fuel the Adeptus Sororitas further, she needed them to take her.
     She could sense if these Black Angels remove her from the world it would be the end, she had to increase her chances despite the plan in place. ‘The priests come to us Sister, they take our gifts readily. They breed with us, spawning a ne-’ Her captor’s grip shifted to her neck, he hefted Valkra up silencing her words. His head shifted to the leader. 
    ‘Do not listen to it Anna.’ He said firmly. ‘It wishes to escape so it moves to divide us. This creature is both sickly and grotesque, these monsters seduce people with honeyed lies.’
    ‘I’m aware Gareth.’ Said Anna. ‘Or are you afraid that I will listen?’ 
    ‘Yes I am. For the good of the Imperium you must follow us and allow us to take the creature or aren’t you capable of that?’
    ‘You’re insulting me aren’t you Captain?’ 
    ‘I am.’ Valkra struggled to breathe as this conversation took place, Gareth dropped her onto the ground and hefted Valkra to her feet. She inwardly smiled, they clearly didn’t trust one another. Anna said nothing, they continued onwards and Valkra didn’t stop. She had no reason to. 
     ‘Your Sisters are strong Anna, the ones with us. They make good breeders.’ Her comment made Anna stop, she twisted around and punched Valkra in the face. She barely moved since her captor’s grip was so tight. Yet at the same time Gareth allowed it. Valkra couldn’t help but smile. Anna’s aura was frayed with anger and frustration, she wanted to take her, Valkra could sense it. As her blood trickled down her mouth, she felt exalted but at the same time worry started to drift into her psyche. She then wondered if a whole army of astartes invaded could they stop them?
     A thousand questions started to fill her mind, she then recalled how Gareth disgraced her and that was when her confidence transformed into rage. Pure, unbridled rage. She swore to herself that this will never let this happen again. As she fumed she was led to a tunnel heading out of the city, in the end it didn’t matter which tunnel her captors took, the end would be the same, the question was how would she keep her oath to herself?

Edited by Shinros

Chapter 7

Gareth stood before the tunnel leading out, he wondered if he should kill the Adeptus Soroitas? Frogad asked beforehand and he considered it but determined it would be best to add their firepower to their own. They could also make a good distraction if the situation called for it. 

Gareth then took the time to call the Corvus Blackstar using his autosenses in preparation for the possible ambush, the Magus was confident which either meant a trap or that it was delusional. He suspected it was the former. Gareth took a deep breath before his next order. 

‘Let us proceed, be alert.’ His squad returned an acknowledgement, the Adeptus Soroitas said nothing. He didn’t trust them but he hoped they wouldn’t act foolish at the worst moment. Gareth headed down the tunnel, they all did and as they arrived at outside he was correct. There was a swarm of them, an entire Claw led by a three-armed heretic wielding hand-stubbers. The creature was backed by trucks which were mounted with autocannons and bikers wielding shotguns and there was a horde of mutants all pointing weapons at them.

The Magus was smug, the three-armed mutant walked forward, it was tapping one pistol upon his shoulder. ‘How about you release her and we don’t kill you?’ 

‘I must refuse.’ Gareth’s reply was met with a hail of gunshots, Barbotos stepped forth and summoned a shield to defend them. The wall of blue light stopped the first onslaught, the mutants quickly reacted and attempted to go around the wall but Frogad and Marius gunned them down with the sisters. 

Gareth could also see their transport would be here soon, just a few seconds. Barbotos suddenly shouted. ‘Captain! More mutants are coming around! I can sense them!’ 

‘Don’t worry! The Flyer is almost here!’ Gareth barked back. The Dark Angel was sweating, but he nodded he felt hopeful at the situation until one of the sisters suddenly shifted their fire towards him. The bolt shells cracked his armour, the sudden attack allowed the Magus to free itself from his grip as he staggered back. The creature ran back into the sewer as did the Sister who attacked him. 

Gareth cursed, he drew his blade and that was when the decision came. To either wait and go for the extraction or to return to the sewer. His eyes darted to Anna. ‘What is the meaning of this! Tell me!’ His anger got the better of him, he should know better but he couldn’t help it. The Sister Superior said nothing, she looked towards the mob firing upon them and the sewer, she chose the sewer and left them behind. One of the Adeptus Sororitas remained. 

He thought to chase after them but in the distance from both sides he could see the mutants coming towards them. That was when the Corvus Blackstar arrived and fired its missiles, destroying the trucks nearby and killing several of the mutants. The flyer then turned around, the docking bay lowered. 

Gareth quickly came to a decision.

Anna ran after Vivian, she wondered what she was thinking but she might have given her the opportunity she needed. When she found her in the sewer she was kneeling. ‘Sister? Have you lost the creature?’ 

Her sister rose, she turned to her and within her hands was the device that was around the mutant’s neck. Going by her body language she was visibly upset. ‘I-I lost her, but I found this on the ground.’ she clutched it tightly. 

‘Careful. Don’t damage it.’ Said Anna. ‘We might need it just in case we encounter her again.’

‘W-What’s the point? Isabel chose to remain with the traitors, w-we… failed.’ 

‘Not yet, she can’t be fa-’ Someone stepped out around the corner. The person who appeared caused the words to die on Anna’s lips.

‘I don’t want to use deception to handle this. No… Not after he shamed me...’ The mutant's eyes were smouldering, gaseous essence poured from her yellow eyes. Anna pointed her bolter at the creature, Vivian wasn’t reacting. 

‘Vivian what are you doing!? She’s right next to you!’ The mutant reached out towards her, Anna’s bolter was wrenched from her fingers and thrown into the rushing sewer ditches. Again her sister didn’t react until she asked a question, one she didn’t expect to hear. 

‘Magus can you please spare her? She does not know what she is doing.’ 

‘I know Vivian.’ Said the Magus. ‘Still, I’m not pleased.’ She raised both hands, torrents of purple lightning lashed through the air. Anna tried to avoid the sorcery but was far too slow as the energy slammed into her body. She screamed as the energy sent her to the ground. The mutant didn’t cease her sorcery, she continued to unleash her powers as Anna’s dirgeful wail bounced within the sewers. 

The pain was too much, it didn’t take long for her to be swallowed by darkness and as she drifted away she had the feeling this was an end of sorts. Perhaps she should have listened to Gareth? But it was too late now.

Epilogue

He was far away from Arum, at the moment he and his team were on the Mailed Fist. A cruiser used by the Deathwatch to transport teams. Right now, he was within his room going over a letter he received from Yrian. Strangely, he wasn’t disappointed by his failure. He understood it was a high task he had given them. The inquisitor’s words did little to dissuade Gareth’s own two hearts. Failure was still failure, there was no way to change that.

Even so he was pleased that Yrian would take Isabel, she had a good head on her shoulders but the mission also proved why it was so easy for xeno cults to propagate on such worlds. He hoped Anna changed her mind and sought an escape route, but he doubted it. He fully expected her to be indoctrinated by this point and converted into a supposed blessed mother. ‘How unfortunate…’ Gareth said to himself. 

She was so desperate to find the corruption but instead it took hold of her and her crusade against the alien. The final issue was the cult will be more prepared in the future, Gareth made sure to place within his reply a recommendation. The systematic elimination of the populace, he would be more than happy to lead the operation if Yrian required it. It would be the best way to clear away the stain that blemishes him.