Long fangs vs Predator

yan

So I wanna add some fire power to my list, and was wondering what you think about which got better in 9th edition? A Predator (with 4 las at 170pts) for a bit more durability with T7 W11. Or the Long Fang pack (4 las at 140pts), more maneuverable, better to put in cover en hold objective's?

I dont have any experience with Long Fangs, I know everybody love's them and there quiet reliable. But I do Like Predators aswell :) So I was wondering which got better in 9th and has more benefits now.

For me it will always be Long fangs, and I always max them out so it is 5 LC for the same price as a predator. But I rarely take them without a WG, even if the SS had been nerfed he will still make them a hard nut to crack. I have not played any games in 9th yet, but I believe that cover will make them  even harder. Plus long fangs still re-rolls ones so they will hit more often. My experience with the predator is that it will be destroyed or heavily damaged really fast. 

But then again I am looking at other things for heavy shooting now days.

There is a discussion about Long Fangs here, it is for  8th edition , but many of the things still apply in the 9th..

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/363163-tactica-long-fangs/

Edited by Cpt.Danjou

Yeah, my vote is Eradicators, which wasn't one of the options, but if you want to get the most efficient anti-tank, that's probably it.  Also, I'd see how the new Gladiator tanks pan out.  It's looking like they'll be crazy efficient, too, with a bunch of Las Talon and Multi-melta shots all coming from an Impulsor-chassis vehicle.  

Eradicators and Dreads are the most efficient avenues for AT. If we could take grav weapons id say long fangs with gravs in drop pod BUT...were getting semi combined with the new space marine codex so there is a lot of potential unlocks like grav weapons and masters of the chapters upgrades ...

For smaller matches I would suggest a Venerable dreadnought or a relic contemptor. Theyre super durable, accurate and can also punch stuff while shooting.

I dont think Eradicators are the best choice for SW in smaller matches because they suck in melee, they get a lot of attention and their lethality degrades quickly. But in the 1850-2000 range having outflanking Eradicators to jump in and blast something is nice and they'll like melt anything 14 wounds or less in strength

If Multimeltas gets the new stats (Heavy 2 and +2 damage) across the whole range then 5 MM Long Fangs in a Pod may well outperform Eradicators and will be easier to deliver.

May have to wait a few months until we know for sure. Everything is kinda in flux right now so only build units that you know are not going to change or you like so much you don't care.

No rule is more important than the rule of cool! :cool.:

Cool, thanks a lot. But I guess I already knew the answer and was just hoping somebody would argue for the predator haha.

for the rule of cool i'll add one to my army and we'll see how it goes :)

usually run my fangs with 2 missile launchers and 2 las canons (i also have 4 plasma)

my fav predator is the destructor with las canon pods 

primary targets are always enemy armour/fortifications  secondary bug beastys/knights

i tend to use my predator in smaller games for efficiency  or in big games to support the two squads of fangs

i now also have a squad of hellblasters (rapid fire gun) but i think there for manuvour and fire not base line 

Surprised no one has mentioned this already but the most efficient of the two options greatly depends on the rest of your army army build. If you are going infantry heavy then you should go long fangs, otherwise all the opponents AT firepower will be going at the predator and then via versa applies if you are going impulsor rush. It's all about threat saturation, either go heavy on vehicles or heavy on infantry to make sure your opponent is wasting a portion of his firepower in inefficient match-ups.

Run 3 predators. We're one of the only chapters that still has access to the 'killshot' strategem

If you don’t already have them, though, it wouldn’t be worth building 3 Predators for a stratagem that goes away in 2 months.