The Royal Awakening: Prepare for Battle!

NTaW

Just want to say I love this forum and this particular thread, thanks for creating it and following up. I can't spend as much time painting as I'd like, but it's a great motivation. Not everyone has a positive attitude regarding the new stuff (can't get my head around that...), but yours is just perfect.

Anyways, I appreciate it.

Edit: The other necron forum I follow is complaining nonstop, which prompted this cheesy post :)

Edited by Miek

I decided they are done, so first vow complete. I "fixed" the airbrush mistakes by reapplying nuln oil and silver a few parts and it honestly looks better in real life than it does on the pictures - they tend to accentuate blues with my light source. Anways, like 'em, moving on!

gallery_225534_16611_668137.jpg

I'll try to take a good family picture sometime later and post it in a new thread.

For my next vow, I'll paint custom deceiver & triarch stalker:

gallery_225534_16617_112257.jpg

You might notice that the deceiver already had a silver zenithal, but that was just a test - I repainted it black right after (also had to remove a few remaining imperfections). For the stalker, I'll reprint the heat ray - this one feels too small.

So a total of 315 pts considering the heat ray option (which I'll use).

...and I got to the deceiver right away. It's mostly airbrushing for the model so I did manage to advance a lot in a very short amount of time (yay). I probably could've gone for a bigger vow but the stalker and its base are probably going to take a long time. Here's my current progress on the deceiver:

gallery_225534_16617_88076.jpg

The airbrushing steps are done (I think). I'm very happy with it; started with a black undercoat, white zenithal, aggaros dunes contrast, aggaros dunes contrast + agrax earthshade from below, then vallejo gold zenithal to get some sparkle in there. For the flame, sotek green airbrush. Now moving on to the brush. I'm afrait I'll mess up the eyes though, I'll have to look for examples of the regular deceiver for inspiration.

Edit: Family picture (deceiver hasn't progressed since):

gallery_225534_16611_805971.jpg

gallery_225534_16617_94969.jpg

Edited by Miek

And we are done. I didn't get the exact look I was hoping for, but close enough for government work.

Here is the full patrol:

20200913 133346

Side views of the command barge:

20200913 133357

20200913 133422

Thank you for hosting this and giving me the push to get this scheme out of my head and models out of my mountain of shame.

Oh my, been pretty busy of late and embarassingly I forgot the weekly update yesterday. Will post that up later today when I'm home. EDIT: Might have to skip this one, if this week is anything like today my computer will likely be off until Saturday morning. My sincerest apologies. Keep those brushes moving people! :tu:

Good to see some progress happening, 01RTB01 it seems my wallet has made the same Vow for October :lol:

Edited by NTaW

Oh my, been pretty busy of late and embarassingly I forgot the weekly update yesterday. Will post that up later today when I'm home.

Good to see some progress happening, 01RTB01 it seems my wallet has made the same Vow for October :lol:

Amen on both counts! Great to see so much progress from so many.

I'm back at work now so time is more limited. Still aiming to get this vow completed in September lol.

So long as it's before codex et Al arrives...

Whew, after a whirlwind last couple of weeks wondering if my state was going to burn to the ground, I was finally able to get some painting in, and I can call this vow complete!

vMFE2iJ.jpg

I also took some close-up shots of the units I finished last, who haven't had the chance to show off yet. These models are just so great, and after the preview of upcoming models last weekend, I can say with confidence they won't be the last Necrons I paint. 

(Those new destroyer models, holy cow. Throwbacks to classic wraiths? Just get out of my head GW!)

oT7trxw.jpg

WyW9Erz.jpg

iIKiA2M.jpg

c3PoYgY.jpg

And a final little piece of fiction to serve as a capstone! I want to thank everyone who has kept reading these, hopefully they were a fun way of adding atmosphere to this little legion.

The last hive on Opulencia took four days to fall.

The tide of death that had erupted from the deepest mines on the planet had scoured the rest of the planet of defenders in a matter of weeks. Defense outposts, Quarry-cities, and Hive spires; nothing had been able to resist the metallic horrors that moved as a silent and inexorable wall, obliterating everything they pointed their flayers at.

Occasionally, some small bands of survivors had been able to escape the attacks, fleeing towards the nearest island of perceived safety, heedless of the doom that followed on their heels. Many such places were found by the Necrons in this way, small hideouts and boltholes that became nothing more than abattoirs when the walls were peeled open by crimson-eyed killers with three legs and razors for arms. The hives became the last destinations of desperate refugees, who brought with them fear and horror that spread better than any plague. Each time the nobles of the Upper Spires would spend days attempting to rally the defenses of the cities, calling upon the great masses of menials to take up arms and support the PDF troopers who had shown themselves increasingly incapable of stopping the xenos. And each time, when the first shadows of the massive canoptek constructs appeared over the horizon, a wall of warriors marching at their feet, all of this effort proved for nought. Because if the defenders weren’t flayed and torn apart by the eldritch weapons of the ancient legions, then they were pulled apart by the wild hands of frenzied mobs of civilians.

The true horror of the Amun-Set was one that the defenders of Opulencia could never stop, and one they didn’t know to fear until the fall of Opulencia Primus.

Each time the unliving legions of the Necrons came upon a major population center, they would unleash before them millions of tiny malignant creatures; Mindshackle scarabs. Now that they came to cleanse this world of the vermin that infested it, the Court of the Slaver King didn’t think it logical to waste potential resources. 

The scarabs would be directed towards the water sources of these organic lessers; the aqueducts and purifiers they used in their pathetic attempts to eke out an existence on a world they had no business inhabiting. And with every drink, with every sip, the frightened, terrified populace of target cities would become slaves to the very things coming to kill them. And when the time became right, the engrams buried in the living metal carapaces of the scabs infesting the populace would come online, driving and directing these screaming civilians to attack and slaughter the very people arrayed to defend them. Mothers killed their sons, daughters murdered fathers, and the survivors would be left to weep and prostrate themselves before the thunderous, silent columns of metallic xenos

The small number of free survivors who fled, and made it offworld, brought with them many tales of horror and woe, nightmarish recollections that made their way across the sector and beyond. But the one that stood out, that they couldn’t stop seeing, was the sight of what happened to the last of the populace of Opulencia. 

Every man, woman, and child; every ganger and hive noble alike, marched themselves into the mines. Screaming, sobbing, and begging, they began to pull at the crust of the planet, mining the harsh and forgiving minerals with nothing more than their bare hands. And nothing, not even death, was going to stop them. 

The Slaver King of Amun-Set would waste nothing, not even vermin.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else finish up their vows! Such a lovely gallery of soulless ancient evil in this thread. If any of the new models are released in time, it would be cool to see them done up in some of the schemes on display in here.

Great looking stuff. The legion grows in a multicolored rainbow of death.

I’ve also been slowly plugging away and have finally completed my first vow.

Skorpekh Lord, Ahewhed

https://imgur.com/gallery/OiELon0

Skorpekh Destroyers, the Guilty

https://imgur.com/gallery/Io5oTuE

Triarch Stalker,

https://imgur.com/gallery/csApF7u

Canoptek Reanimator

https://imgur.com/gallery/hKBH34b

Cryptothralls and Plasmacyte

https://imgur.com/gallery/NocnyFS

And the entire completed vow

https://imgur.com/gallery/l5cTZ3E

Now to plan out a second vow. Probably something smaller, given the time frame.

Oh wow, those are great looking Necrons!

FinalCookie holy smokes that story was great. I really wish that mindshackle scarabs were [still] able to be utilized in-game to some extent or at least shown off in more lore. Your paint scheme well reflects the grim death that will befall your opponents when they face off against you. I also really like how the gold stands out on your Royal Court in the group shot! :tu:

Mr4Minutes I can definitely say that it would never have occurred to me to put together the "multicoloured rainbow of death" (:lol:!) you've chosen for your Necrons but it is undeniably eye-catching and very well executed. Now they're ready to take those gorgeous green blades to the enemy! 

FinalCookie holy smokes that story was great. I really wish that mindshackle scarabs were [still] able to be utilized in-game to some extent or at least shown off in more lore. Your paint scheme well reflects the grim death that will befall your opponents when they face off against you. I also really like how the gold stands out on your Royal Court in the group shot! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much! I was a little worried the gold was a little too ostentatious with such a muted scheme, but I'm glad it turned out well.

I've also found those instances in the lore to be some of the most horrifying when the mindshackle scarabs show up. The loss of free will in the face of ancient inhuman monsters, just so terrifying!

So finally I made some progress on my vow.

Here are my Destroyers- I am quite proud of myself, these are the best power-blades I have done so far.

Destroyers-2.jpg

"We have come for you!"

Destroyers-1.jpg

And I even made some progress on the characters:

Characters-WIP.jpg

Miek excellent job on your models so far, and way to make me jealous of your resin printer :tongue.: That Stalker's going to look very cool with some paint on it!

Focslain well done completing your Vow! I just took in the yellows on the controls of the CCB, nice touch! :tu:

01RTB01 creativity is an asset to any would-be Phaeron, right? Adapt and disintegrate the enemy or some such? :lol:

Valkia those blades are looking ace, sort of making me rethink the way I've been doing blue energy now! You're really (and unintentionally) pushing me to keep going with my current (very similar) scheme on the new models with how good yours are coming along.

Now for an update on our status here! A little late but still hot off the keyboard from me to you all.

We're keeping at 24 frater involved in our little event here and while we've only made 1 more Vow over the last couple weeks there have been 3 completions bringing the total to 51.52%; we've passed the halfway mark! Congratulations on getting things done!

The one new Vow brings us to a total of 17,968 pledged and the three completions bump us up some 3,180 points to 8,218. This totals to 45.74% of the total points being completed, so very near to the Vow completion rate.

There's some great work done and more yet to do, so back to the brushes fellow Phaerons! :tu:

Vow #2 complete

Necrowar2   Med

Wraith bases not finished becuase apparently they are going up to 50mm, which would be a great change if I didn't own these guys with 40mm bases. 

Might throw my last 3 tomb blades and the Skorpech guys into a vow if I get bored. Other than that no possible new vows until the codex drops and I know what units to buy next.