The Royal Awakening: Prepare for Battle!

NTaW

Vow 1 Complete: 1360 points in all their glory. I will create a thread on the Necrontyr section at a later time with close ups. 

50513628541_32d04d623a_k.jpgIMG_0683

I, Arbiter7, for my SECOND VOW I pledge to paint:

10 Warriors

3 Scarabs

3 Lokhust Heavy Destroyers

1 Canoptek Reanimator

1 Necron Lord (Conversion of a Royal warden using Lord and Plasmancer Bitz)

1 Illuminor Szeras

for another 725pts. Aiming for a grand total of 2085 PHAERON BABY

50513629186_04b3cfddc3_k.jpgIMG_0686

Vow 1 Complete: 1360 points in all their glory. I will create a thread on the Necrontyr section at a later time with close ups. 

50513628541_32d04d623a_k.jpgIMG_0683

I, Arbiter7, for my SECOND VOW I pledge to paint:

10 Warriors

3 Scarabs

3 Lokhust Heavy Destroyers

1 Canoptek Reanimator

1 Necron Lord (Conversion of a Royal warden using Lord and Plasmancer Bitz)

1 Illuminor Szeras

for another 725pts. Aiming for a grand total of 2085 PHAERON BABY

50513629186_04b3cfddc3_k.jpgIMG_0686

Wow, these look amazing! Really great job!

Wait wasn't it just Monday, like, yesterday? :eek:

Valkia the Bloody those Wraiths look excellent, their (and your army's) bloody aesthetic and that tapeworm larvae are pure nightmare fuel. I wouldn't be surprised if it was inspiration for the Xenomorph Facehugger either! Excellent job completing your 3rd Vow! :tu:

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch I'll add your 2nd Vow in posthaste. Things are looking good in the Naculan Dynasty, that's for sure!

Miek I'm loving the glorious purple you've started with on the Nightbringer and those Lychguard are fabulous! I see why you chose the blue blades though, the red looks great but the blue flows far better with your scheme.

Brother Argent you know, I have seen people go off and cut out the new plastic "rods" and replace them with green translucent ones. I feel like it might be a lot of work but you'd get to keep the aesthetic you like.

Mr4Minutes that's really cool that you and your buddy have the same base style! Also wow. I don't think I've ever in 20+ years of gaming had freshly painted models actually preform in their first match.

Halandaar moving in with a strong 4th Vow and congratulations on completing your 3rd! Wow that Doomstalker is tall, eh? 

01RTB01 Well done on Vow number 3, and they look excellent as always, and that triumphant one model Vow for #4 to hit the Phaeron mark! :lol: I love it.

The_Chaplain welcome!! I'm sure you'll have no problem finishing those Scarabs out in the remaining time but good luck all the same! :tu:

Arbiter7 now that's a Vow completion! Holy smokes. I'm really digging the purple-ish (?) tint over the Canoptek stuff and shoulderpads. I never think of purple and green going together but then when I see it all I think of is how wrong I am in that thought :lol: Those fancy new models in your 2nd Vow will look great alongside the rest of your army!

Arbiter 7 your stuff is stunning :ohmy.: The blades and glowy work are really awesome [the whole lot is let's be fair but that stands out]

NTaW the alternative was the Silent King or 20 warriors or 3 skorpekhs, fancied the destroyer for an easy vow lol. How long have we left? I need to make another vow I think... Reckon I should do monolith before I do Szarekh [monolith test run?!]

Poor lighting but the LHD is done and basing on others - base rims to go ahead of Crusade game 2 tomorrow evening. Is it really Friday again tomorrow already?!?!

The whole thing I wanted to try with my crons was OSL. Although what I'm doing is basic, I think it's achieved what I set out to do.

lhd-1.jpg
lhd-2.jpg
lhd-3.jpg
Edited by 01RTB01

Yeaaaahhh I'm not sure if I'm happy about how it looks... I think changing his skin to blue will help but I'm open to suggestions. I think I'll do that (blue skin), finish the rest and see if I can do something to improve it. Maybe reshading and completing the rest will suffice.

From a distance (ex.: 30cm) with normal lighting it's kinda nice. With blue skin I guess it'll sell the illusion that it's a gaping hole. Matt varnish will help.

gallery_225534_16617_39802.jpg

Same! I think we're using the same method for OSL which I also had never tried before i.e. dry brush a bit of white (I use praxeti) and then carefully add a layer of tesseract glow.

Arbiter 7 your stuff is stunning :ohmy.: The blades and glowy work are really awesome [the whole lot is let's be fair but that stands out]

The whole thing I wanted to try with my crons was OSL. Although what I'm doing is basic, I think it's achieved what I set out to do.

Same! I think we're using the same method for OSL which I also had never tried before i.e. dry brush a bit of white (I use praxeti) and then carefully add a layer of tesseract glow.

All I've done is a light drybrush of moot green. Because the edges of stuff have been highlighted using necron compound it seems to have picked it up really nicely.

What you're doing looks awesome :)

Next vow...

Following last night's games clearly reapers are more use than skorpekhs. As such...

If we've got 3 weeks left I'll vow 3 Skorpekhs and 20 warriors for 365 points. (Need to get building :O )

The reason for 3 more skorpekhs, I'm hoping that running 6 will be more use than 3!

If we only have 2 weeks left then I may just vow the skorpekhs. (Monolith should arrive this week and I'm desperate to get on with it!)

Edited by 01RTB01

I started edge highlighting my Canoptek reanimator today. So. Many. Edges.

NTaW, I would have words with you. Sharp, pointy ones with short syllabes.

And maybe a warscythe. 

I blame you for this pain.

I'm done, third vow complete! It was rather challenging and I had a lot of back-and-forth, but I'm happy with the result and I learned a lot. I decided the "black hole" thing just didn't look like anything and painted over it; I like it much better now. I've also decided that I'll never buy a failcast again.

med_gallery_225534_16611_111548.jpg

med_gallery_225534_16611_179040.jpg

Also, spilled my first bottle of Nuln Oil, yay! What's left was transferred to a dropper bottle (should've done it sooner, but I didn't because the dropper bottle couldn't contain it all... now it can!):

med_gallery_225534_16611_856647.jpg

Huh, two more weeks, and I thought it was limited to 3 vows but it seems like there's no limit... I'll think about it but I should have more than 10 warriors painted. Maybe 20 warriors? Will confirm.

@01RTB01 what do you use to get this effect on your bases? I assume it doesn't only work for green? Also, the OSL looks great on the destroyer, I'll take inspiration from it to tune mine down (warriors).

Edited by Miek

Ouch! That's an achievement no one likes to get! GW's paint pot holder is fairly cheap and probably would have prevented the spill, for future reference. I grabbed one after spilling my own Nuln (and Drakenhof a year or so prior) and have been very happy with it.

Nightbringer looks solid!

I'm done, third vow complete! It was rather challenging and I had a lot of back-and-forth, but I'm happy with the result and I learned a lot. I decided the "black hole" thing just didn't look like anything and painted over it; I like it much better now. I've also decided that I'll never buy a failcast again.

med_gallery_225534_16611_111548.jpg

med_gallery_225534_16611_179040.jpg

Also, spilled my first bottle of Nuln Oil, yay! What's left was transferred to a dropper bottle (should've done it sooner, but I didn't because the dropper bottle couldn't contain it all... now it can!):

med_gallery_225534_16611_856647.jpg

Huh, two more weeks, and I thought it was limited to 3 vows but it seems like there's no limit... I'll think about it but I should have more than 10 warriors painted. Maybe 20 warriors? Will confirm.

@01RTB01 what do you use to get this effect on your bases? I assume it doesn't only work for green? Also, the OSL looks great on the destroyer, I'll take inspiration from it to tune mine down (warriors).

Thank you kindly sir :)

Loving your nightbringer, the cloak is lush and really liking the skin too. Well done for not binning a failcast model :D

The bases were dead easy:

1. Corax white/ Wraithbone

2. Throw Tesseract glow on

3. Throw hexwraith flame on the remainder

4. Ardcoat

5. Mordant earth

Make sure everything is totally dry (potentially hours) between each stage. Super easy :) (easy is my favourite lol)

The_Chaplain well done completing your Vow! Your Scarabs look great, do you think you'll try to get something else painted in a 2nd Vow?

Miek that Nightbringer might spend some time on my computer desktop! I kinda want to repaint the cloak on mine now :lol:

The maximum number of Vows is 5 by the way and November 8th is the final day of the event.

Edited by NTaW

November 8th is the final day of the event.

That's closer than I thought! I probably won't have the time or the weather for a third vow, unfortunately. It's started to be consistently cooler than reccommended temps for primer. I can probably finish my current vow, though.

Three scarabs and two legs left to edge highlight. 

The_Chaplain well done completing your Vow! Your Scarabs look great, do you think you'll try to get something else painted in a 2nd Vow?

Thanks! Probably not because I have 2 characters to knock out for the aeldari event, and if I paint necrons- I want to do it in solid "blocks" which I won't have time fkr before events end.

Not sure I'll make it for the 8th, but I'm close to having done a first coat of each base color:

med_gallery_225534_16617_183179.jpg

I'll try drybrushing a bit more than usual to speed up a few steps.

Edit: I did have enough nuln oil left, and Payne's Grey is on the way :)

Edited by Miek

I'm going to chance my arm... Monolith and the 3 Skorpekhs for my final vow (amended from 3 Skorpekhs if allowed). I'm building the monolith now. Aiming to finish build Saturday morning, prime and then off we go... (Skorpekhs already built)

Just need to figure out what to prime with (colour wise). It'll be sub assembled then glued.

Luck needed.

Hopefully work on one when the other is drying (washes etc)

(Edit - points added: 485 points)

Edited by 01RTB01