The Royal Awakening: Prepare for Battle!

NTaW

At least since this army is going to be a vehicle heavy build I'll only have to paint up 30 bases max. Rest of the army is on flight bases.

That's something at least! I prefer silver tide myself, which makes things a tad more tedious :teehee:

Okay, so I decide to challenge myself to paint my guys extra-quickly. Then the next day, the very next day, my boss lets me know I'm covering for one of my colleagues for two weeks whilst she's in training. Which meant both getting home later, being way more tired when I do get there, and not having a handy little office to sit in and base-coat my guys during my lunch hours every day. However, progress is being made, if a bit slower than I'd hoped.

Firstly, I've finally figured out how I'm painting my Gauss weapons. Having ten spare guns per sprue left me plenty of opportunity for experimentation, which was nice.

Secondly, I've done twelve scarab bases in twelve days - given how many days I've skipped having a 'proper' painting session, I'm reasonably pleased with how quickly I've done these. I should have the remaining six bases done by tomorrow, and (hopefully) my first ten warriors by the end of the week.

Camoptek Scarabs

The (Still undecided, maybe Tok'ra) Dynasty has heard the call of the Silent King, and we awaken to reclaim what is ours.

gallery_69057_7810_209917.png

Hard to really tell in the picture, I drybrushed most of the colors, left the weapon solid black. Most of the model is a very dark silver overall, the "cape" is gold but duller than the hieroglyphs and ankh. ATM the glow is white with Teserract Glow, also played around with some Hexwraith Flame but may stick with just Tesseract. Still decided how to do base, maybe sand-like but black or a very dark blue/green, and may go back and make the circles on the gun glowing as well.

Vow Completed.

I finally made some progress.

:D

I am not sure about the bases yet, I might go for the same bloody snow I am using for my Night Lords. Some blood splatter might add some nice contrast.

I painted them in Cyberman colours and I think they work quite well. I definitely like the blue better than the green.

I think I will assemble a horde army (even if it is not competitive) because I really like the idea of a tidal wave of silver bodies relentlessly marching forward, assimilating everything they encounter. Just as we see in the Doctor Who TV series.

Necron-WIP3.jpg

Necrons-WIP-1.jpg

Necron-WIP2.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was the eyes.

Yannic’s hands and knees had been torn to bloody shreds hours ago. His heavy work gloves and the canvas oversuit were designed to keep the miners safe from the kinetic feedback from the mining lasers they used, or to stop them from cutting their hands on the ore they cut away from the mine walls.

They weren’t supposed to hold a screaming friend while he boiled away to nothing.

They weren’t supposed to climb through the mine system for hours, grabbing nothing but the razor sharp obsidian that had torn first his gloves apart, and then his hands.

But these things weren’t on Yannic’s mind as he stumbled and crawled through the endless rail tunnel, following the tracks of the cargo tram that had carried him down here only two days ago.

It was the eyes he thought of. Baleful. Burning. A crimson glow that spit death and entropy, while everyone Yannic had ever known was flayed alive and ground to dust before them.

The other thing Yannic thought was that he was going to join his fellow miners soon. Every time he glanced behind him, catching his breath for just a moment before continuing his stumbling flight, he became more certain of this.

They were still some distance away, but every time Yannic looked back, they were gaining.

It was the eyes.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was able to finish up the first batch of models this morning before work! I'm still doing some research and writing on this new Dynasty, but I've settled on a paint scheme for them. 

nVUAQKB.jpg

So while I don't think that's a complete vow just yet, it certainly feels like the big hurdle of this painting batch has been cleared!

I finally made some progress.

:biggrin.:

I am not sure about the bases yet, I might go for the same bloody snow I am using for my Night Lords. Some blood splatter might add some nice contrast.

I painted them in Cyberman colours and I think they work quite well. I definitely like the blue better than the green.

I think I will assemble a horde army (even if it is not competitive) because I really like the idea of a tidal wave of silver bodies relentlessly marching forward, assimilating everything they encounter. Just as we see in the Doctor Who TV series.

This is such a fantastic scheme! The colors contrast so well, and the bases are very well done. Adding snow to them is going to be icing on the cake too.

Valkia I didn't know your Necrons hailed from the Talrynian Dynasty! :laugh.: If we played a match together we may need to mark our bases for sorting.

So, naturally, I think your scheme looks stellar! :thumbsup:

I must come across as slightly ignorant... I admit I never had the Necron codex in my hands so I am unfamiliar with the dynasties.

Needless to say I will get the new codex as soon as it comes out. :D

Valkia I didn't know your Necrons hailed from the Talrynian Dynasty! :lol: If we played a match together we may need to mark our bases for sorting.

So, naturally, I think your scheme looks stellar! :tu:

I must come across as slightly ignorant... I admit I never had the Necron codex in my hands so I am unfamiliar with the dynasties.

Needless to say I will get the new codex as soon as it comes out. :D

Valkia, your not ignorant...that is NTaW’s own dynasty, he’s saying that because your colour schemes are very similar !! ;-)

See here -

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/362865-index-xenos-the-talrynian-dynasty/

Cheers, Mithril

Valkia I didn't know your Necrons hailed from the Talrynian Dynasty! :laugh.: If we played a match together we may need to mark our bases for sorting.

So, naturally, I think your scheme looks stellar! :thumbsup:

Needless to say I will get the new codex as soon as it comes out. :biggrin.:

Valkia, your not ignorant...that is NTaW’s own dynasty, he’s saying that because your colour schemes are very similar !! ;-)

See here -

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/362865-index-xenos-the-talrynian-dynasty/

Cheers, Mithril

Then, NTaW, consider me joined. :p

Your empire does not have a tomb world by the name of Telos by any chance? :p

I decided on a base design for my Necrons.

I went with molten (trampled) snow, a less fluffy version of the one I use for my Chaos army.

The idea- the tomb world has awoken. A relentless tidal wave of silver is marching after a wounded and scared population. Hence the blood splatter on the snow. They follow their injured victims. Never tiring, never letting up. Resistance is useless.

Necrons-batch-1.jpg

Now onto starting the next batch.

Bases look great Valkia :D good job!

I've had migraine, lack of sleep plus work so no progress the past few days.

I will however declare my next vow as:

10 Triarch Praetorians 230 points

1 Spyder c.55

5 Deathmarks 70 points

1 triarch stalker c.135 points

Aiming to get the infantry done by the end of Sunday with the stalker thereafter, it's a lot bigger than I expected!

Wow a lot to get caught up on, you all are doing wonderful work!

Tyriks excellent work completing your 2nd Vow, got anything up your sleeve just yet for a 3rd? Out of curiosity do you leave you flying bases clear or base them? I left mine at first but ended up wanting them to match the rest of my army. Recently I've seen a lot of models on clear acrylic bases and I've started wondering if that's something I could like for a 40k army.

Stupidity I'm really quite enamoured with contrast paints over varying bases, specifically metallic. I bet your green looks even better in real life!

01RTB01 Oof I feel you on the occasionally improperly assembling models. I've cursed my way through a fair few mistakes over the years :sweat: Now onto your 3rd Vow already! I had a similar impression of the Stalker, from pictures it was a little meh but then I got a starter box and built it and was surprised by how much I liked the model. So big and cool!

Focslain that orange is quite striking against the dark metal. I can just picture you with a Warrior foot glued to the end of a sprue pushing footprints into some valhallan blizzard as it cures though :lol: that's a level of madness I think would give your army an excellent aesthetic of movement.

Anticontrarian holy smokes I'm loving those Scarabs. What colour is that on the backs?

Razordaemon well done completing your first Vow! I like the subtle variations of darkness you've achieved on the model. I think a dark sand would do it well. Will we be seeing more from the Tok'ra (am I detecting a Stargate influence here?) Dynasty?

Valkia :lol: yes, as mithril has pointed out (linking a thread I had sadly forgotten about!) that is my own homebrew Dynasty and it's because our schemes are quite similar (and totally awesome :tu:). We would welcome Telos' might in any battle! I really like the details your added to your bases specially the tufts of grass, but what snow did you use? It looks a little different to be valhallan blizzard to my eyes, wetter as if it's melting a bit.

FinalCookie excellent progress and we get more details to an unfolding story! Things really don't seem to be going well for the humans inhabiting your Crownworld. Your murderbots are looking suitably grimdark™, can't wait to see it on some of the bigger models!

I am using modeling snow from a German model railway company. It has sparkle in it. For me, snow has to sparkle, the reason I am not so fond of Valhallan Blizzard. This one works well for me- it looks fluffy like fresh snow if you use several thick coats of it. But it also looks like realistic molten and re-frozen snow/ ice when you use it in thin layers. Perfect.

I, Arbiter7 pledge to paint

30 Warriors

6 Skorpekh Destroyers + 2 Plasmacytes

1 Skorpekh Lord

1 Cryptek

2 Cryptothralls

9 Scarab Swarms

1 Canoptek Reanimator

1 Overlord

1 Plasmancer

1 Royal Warden

2 Lokhust Destroyers (when they come out in October)

For just over 1500 pts !

50282895482_dd82fa1e63_z.jpgIMG_0541 by Ari Dakkadakka, on Flickr

I have left all mine clear but I likely will change them eventually. I guess I am in the process of making actual bases for my DDAs and Ghost Arks because they keep breaking, so I'll likely make similar ones for everything else. No idea what my third vow will be yet, but I know I'll make one. I was hoping the Lokhusts and Doomstalker would be out by now since they said it was "soon" after Indomitus.

I was hoping the Lokhusts and Doomstalker would be out by now since they said it was "soon" after Indomitus.

You and me both, must confess I expected them by now.

As it is, reckon today will see the pointy elves announced for pre order next week. Hopefully we see the lokhusts and stalkers in September and don't have to wait until October. Also hope that the codex and monoliths drop early October otherwise getting them done by the end of this may be a challenge...

Valkia I'm enjoying the effect and since the sparkle is built in I imagine it ages decently. Old valhallan blizzard is good looking and accessible but there's so many options out there for snow effects.

Arbiter7 welcome to the Royal Awakening, and what an opening Vow! I think you may have the single largest amount Vowed at a time with that, though I'll have to exclude the Lokhust for now since they aren't released yet. I do hope that they show up during the course of this event though.

Tyriks I feel like I ask you that question every few months :lol: Maybe I should try printing something for my DDA. I feel like the only reason I haven't broken its stand is because I haven't used it in many games.

Stupidity excellent second vow! I look forward to seeing more of your subtly sparkling green on more models. I could see how orange would go muddy over just about anything but the brightest basecoat; I've had varying luck executing a nice bright orange on my BA force weapons.

Now for another weekly update! I can hear cries of torment coming from up the hall so I'll be a bit more brief this time around.

We had one new Dynasty arise to the Silent King's call bringing us to 23 people involved. 31 Vows have been made with 12 complete, that's up from 27 and 10 respectively.

In total now we have pledged to paint 17,413 points in models and completed 4,043 for a 23.22% completion rate. The ambition of our Vows has dropped us a little bit, around 2%, in this regard but I'm confident we'll see some completions posted in the coming weeks that will turn that around significantly.

Onward fellow Phaerons! To your brushes!

Edited by NTaW

@NaTW - Thanks, I'm trying to go for a molten core/obsidian armour look. Luckily a friend talked me down from doing oxidized titanium bones. That was a few hours of research down the drain. Plenty of information on electric and chemical oxidation, hard as frak to find information on temperature oxidation. Like no-one does it. Anyway...

Bases are going to be a tundra, I found a nice tutorial using Agellan Earth as a base. It's to place them in between my ice based Eldar army and my desert based Space Wolf company that has necrons as a main foe. So I'm hoping that I can just press their foot into the freshly applied paint then let the impression dry, crack and then drybrush white.

So getting this project off proper, a pict before the spray.

20200829 193315 HDR

9 warriors and a command barge with guass blaster and lord with warscythe.

Looking at the command barge I have my lining work cut out for me. I want to have all the indents glowing in the red/orange colour. the control panels are another issue as I have to see how I want to paint the buttons.

The Kharezt Dynasty march to war!

med_gallery_14776_16609_362005.jpg

med_gallery_14776_16609_349709.jpg

med_gallery_14776_16609_402651.jpg

med_gallery_14776_16609_363108.jpg

med_gallery_14776_16609_337541.jpg

med_gallery_14776_16609_510853.jpg

med_gallery_14776_16609_179996.jpg

med_gallery_14776_16609_43046.jpg

med_gallery_14776_16609_167243.jpg

med_gallery_14776_16609_308210.jpg

med_gallery_14776_16609_178895.jpg

I've got another Indomitus box ready to go, but I'm going to take a break from the black, blue, brass and orange legions and work on some Orks and Sororitas. But I accomplished my goal of developing and executing a quick, table-top scheme that will allow me to have palette-cleansing projects when needed, so this is nowhere near the last you've seen of the Necrons of Pnoabsterix.